Start by marking “Beloved Bridegroom” as Want to Read:
Beloved Bridegroom

Beloved Bridegroom

Finding Christ in ancient Jewish marriage and family customs.
Published August 1st 1999 by Onyx Press

To ask other readers questions about Beloved Bridegroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beloved Bridegroom

Tanya
Sep 20, 2011 Tanya rated it liked it
This is actually a 3 1/2, and would have been a 4 until the last few chapters. I was intrigued through the early sections as Nielsen discusses ancient Jewish marriage and family customs. The symbolism of Christ as the bridegroom and his church (us) as the bride goes very deep into the many rituals. I loved her insights into the ten virgins story, her explanation of the wedding canopy, and her excellent observations about the significance of bread in Middle Eastern culture. I felt, however, that ...more
Sirpa Grierson
Recommended by my friend Elaine. Just when you need a book, the right one always appears. I had a colleague scoff at this book (though not having read it) as not written by a scholar. How sad. Nielsen has done her research on the topic; she has taken the concept of the Jewish wedding to illustrate the metaphor of Israel or the covenant people as the bride of Jehovah. Although some editing might still be in order (I always notice things in books that I read), this was an invaluable and very reada ...more
Jenny
Jul 15, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Christ really does refer to himself as the bridegroom in a number of scriptures, and I have the tendency to just breeze through them thinking, "Okay, you're the bridegroom. I got it." But there is so much more to that statement than I had realized! The layers of symbolism in this statement are amazing. Nielsen delves into Jewish marriage customs that make me appreciate Christ, the scriptures, the temple, and my own marriage so much more. I will never read another "bridegroom" scripture the same ...more
Tim Malone
Apr 02, 2013 Tim Malone rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to understand Jewish Marriage traditions
I’ve been meaning to review this wonderful book for the last few weeks since I first read it. But I’m glad I waited because I’ve been able to ponder it and reflect on just how important the book really is. Have you ever been puzzled by the references in the scriptures to the wedding feast, the marriage covenant, the significance of the marriage ceremony or the parable of the ten virgins?

You’re not alone. Even though I have been a student of the scriptures all my life, I always said to myself, “S
Jill
Oct 20, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
I think I have been reading this book for over a year, maybe just under as it is heavy on symbolism and cultural explanations. That said, it was worth a slow read. I would read a few pages or a chapter and then put the book down to think about it, read the scriptures cited in context, pray about it and read it again to see how I felt about it - whether I agreed or disagreed.

Some of my favorite points were the discussion on what "perfect" meant in ancient Judaism (faithful to covenants) versus o
Jileen
Nov 18, 2011 Jileen rated it it was ok
There were some parts to this book that were quite interesting. I learned a lot about the symbolism of ancient Jewish marriage customs. The purpose of marriage, how we should focus on our spouse, and the marriage ceremony are all very enlightening from an ancient Jewish standpoint. I think we could all be very enriched from their views. I enjoyed the explanations of the parable of the Ten Virgins and how the author broke down the information.

I am giving this book a two because, despite the inter
Stacey
May 30, 2016 Stacey rated it really liked it
I read this book in preparation for a trip to Israel, just to learn a little more about the Jewish culture and about the Savior. It helped me better understand Christ's reference to himself as the bridegroom and the Church as the bride, and I made many connections to the temple. It was well worth my time.
Christina
Feb 06, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
Scriptures gain depth in meaning as as learn more about the customs and traditions of the time they were given. I really enjoyed the learning process but have to agree with others about the last chapter comparing body parts being a little odd.
Jessie
Sep 07, 2011 Jessie rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing if you are interested in the Jewish tradition of marriage and it's symbolism in the bible. My husband and I read it together. It took us a while, since we just read together on Sundays, but we learned so much. I think what surprised me most is how everything (I mean everything) involved in the wedding means something or is a symbol for something (not unlike our very own temples--I shouldn't have been surprised). Also, that the scriptures so often use these things to explain ...more
Leanne
Dec 28, 2014 Leanne rated it liked it
This book is a long explanation of the symbolism of Jesus Christ as the Bridegroom. It has excellent insights which I wish I could simply download into my brain, but the writing is dense with no real writer's voice, and I get tired of slogging through it.

I highly recommend this book if you are interested in learning more about Ancient Jewish marriage and family customs and how they symbolize Christ. For me, it is more of a reference book, than a book I can read on a daily basis--although I did
Elspeth
Sep 02, 2014 Elspeth rated it really liked it
Knowing more about the Jewish marriage customs at the time of Jesus' added a lot of insight into the new testament scriptures.
I also enjoyed the emphasis put on families to be peaceful and happy. I found it encouraging for me in my own family. It lacks a star because in a few places I felt like it was trying to hard to find more comparisons for things than were really there. A god insightful read I'd recommend.
Cynthia
Feb 12, 2008 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Profoundly interesting. Nielson delves into ancient Jewish marriage customs to illuminate Christ's parables and allegories. Understanding the significance of covenant making and the attending ceremonies, we better understand Christ's self-title, the bridegroom. Fascinating from both secular and non-secular approaches.
Robert
Aug 28, 2016 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-non-fiction
Interesting but dry and a bit of work to get through.

Jewish life and culture was so different from what is familiar today. The material in this book really helps put a lot of the symbolism of the New Testament in perspective.
Asenath
Dec 31, 2010 Asenath rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was full of interesting information on ancient Jewish customs and how understanding those can provide insight into the stories and parables used in the scripture. The last three chapters summarized the rest of the book, and tied it all together nicely.
Mandy
Jan 28, 2008 Mandy rated it it was amazing
This book was sent to me on my mission and it really gave me a greater understanding of the atonement, the temple, and the meaning of Christ as "the Bridegroom"...not to mention a greater appreciation for Judaism. I wonderful book that I highly recommend.
Sasha
Sep 01, 2008 Sasha rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and beautiful! In learning about and understanding ancient Jewish marriage and family traditions, this book made me want to be Jewish! It sheds so much light on the scriptures, and of course all things point to Christ.
Brittany
Mar 27, 2007 Brittany rated it really liked it
Shelves: oldfavorites
This is a very interesting look at ancient jewish wedding and marriage rituals. I think if we approached marriage with the same respect now as people did then, we could eliminate so much stupidity. But that's just me.
Tryn
Jun 24, 2008 Tryn rated it it was amazing
I so appreciate what I have learned about the symbolism of the scriptures from this enlightening book. It's interesting to read straight through and then go back to again and again as a reference.

Valerie L
Apr 15, 2011 Valerie L rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This is a great book to read if you want to understand more of the symbolism and get more meaning from the parables in the New Testament! Well written, easy to read, and really a great book!
Brooke Webb
Jan 25, 2008 Brooke Webb rated it it was amazing
This book was so interesting! I learned so much about marriage and the saving role Jesus Christ has in my life. There is so much to get out of this book you have to read it more than once.
Sally
Jun 20, 2011 Sally marked it as to-read-library-has
Shelves: theology
Now that I'm teaching New Testament in Sunday School, this seems the perfect book to help me understand things better. Thanks, Sasha, for the recommendation.
Callie
Jan 22, 2009 Callie rated it really liked it
Increases understanding about Jewish Traditions and their significance in the Bible and other Christian writing. A short and easy read.
Phoebe Hall
Jun 11, 2009 Phoebe Hall rated it it was amazing
Donna delves into the history behind the parable of the bridegroom. Who knew there was such an amazing back story. I learned so much.
Diane
Sep 19, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
This books adds the Jewish symbolism of the marriage and our relationship to the Savior. It's filled with wonderful insights.
Alex
Jun 07, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of the symbolism in this book. It's a must read for those interested in understanding the gospel.
Gaelynn
Jan 09, 2009 Gaelynn rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book and I am still learning from the symbolism that was explained. Great Book. Bookclub 2007
Janiece
Jun 26, 2008 Janiece rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found it fascinating and very insightful.
Tiffosmith
Jul 21, 2013 Tiffosmith rated it really liked it
It was a great book to understand Jewish marriage customs and traditions.
Amy
Jan 10, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Not an easy read, but definitely thought-provoking and informative.
Koriane
Sep 18, 2007 Koriane rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Interesting Jewish customs and how they relate to the scriptures.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »