Spirit of '69: A Skinhead Bible

Spirit of '69: A Skinhead Bible

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The definitive book on the British skinhead phenomenon. From the late 60s to the present, this book gives it to you straight. Style, music, football, aggro. From SHARP to the scourge of the neo-nazis. A wealth of photographs, graphics and cuttings make this a rather indispensable guide.
Published January 31st 1994 by ST Publishing

Tiffini
I am partial to this title since i used to be a pen pal with George Marshall when he was writing it.. My picture is in the 1991 first pressing so yeah i am totally biased:-) Crybabies like to poke jabs at the "skinhead manual" reputation of this book but before this title came out- hate to break it to you- but we used Skinhead by Nick Knight the same way in the early 80s.. now you kids have the internet....If you weren't the first generation of a subculture emulation is unavoidable.

Having said t...more
Cwn_annwn_13
Yeah the skinhead thing never really appealed to me. If this book is, as it claims to be, the definitive book on skinheads then what little doubt I have that the skinhead scene at its roots was not any kind of real world working class movement but just another teeny bopper fashion/music scene pose mixed with bullying hooliganism has been erased. I will be fair and say a few good people have come out of that movement though. These people also grew up and moved on to other things. Sorry but anybod...more
Theresa
Jul 04, 2007 Theresa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like it already know about it
I gave this such a high rating because it's the training manual for skins. It serves its purpose well and goes over everything. It's not racist or national front and it's really the only sourcebook for this marginalized culture. C'mon, everybody's got to read it once so when some young whippersnapper comes on "all hard" you say "Did you read that in Spirit of '69?" sneeringly and demand the respect that you deserve for being an old fart.

And that ain't much.
Kate
Worth reading for:
1. Primer on how to dress if you want to be a skin
2. Humor
3. You can tell everyone you read it; therefore, you're cool

In reality, it's worth reading for a history lesson, if nothing else.
Calebrt
Jul 02, 2009 Calebrt marked it as to-read
Oh...to be 14 again.
Chef-andy
This was a book I truly liked. it is not a book for everyone. But one needs to keep their mind open to new things. This book if you wanted to buy can be a little spendee. Anywhere from $95 dollars to $500 dollars. I found a perfect copy ate Half Price Books in Minneapolis and paid $15 dollars. I do not think they knew the prices of this book.

I liked this book because it shared the TRUE spirit of the English Skinhead Movement. Based deep in SKA music, and to learn of the Black and Asian Skinhead...more
Mokoy Nakadnas
i,m skinhead and proud for that and I was know I,m not the white men in the skinhead.but I try to be like skinned but not the racist skinhead
Kirk Morrison
If you want to know the history of this youth culture this is the book to get. Marshall is partial to the scene so there's some cheerleading but I'd rather get an overall view from an insider than some armchair sociologist. Although Marshall is a little too forgiving on the violence in the scene, his wry sense of humor is welcome. A great corrective to all the mis-information you get in popular culture and the media.
Rob Rakis
I've wanted to read this book for years and it was awesome to finally get a hold of it. Did not disappoint, and after all this time I still had plenty to learn from it.
Fahmi Arfiandi
kitab suci para skinhead ... learn more then you'll find what you looking for...bacaan masa muda..wkwkwk!
Smith Vicious
Aug 07, 2007 Smith Vicious rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
ga tauuuu sihh! cuma pengen nge add aja!
Acap
history of culture make fun
Chris
Jul 21, 2011 Chris added it
Shelves: enjoy
nice
Putera
Putera marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Kristian
Kristian marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Helmi Mokish
Helmi Mokish marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Dibya
Dibya marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Omarch Boots
Omarch Boots marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
AK
AK added it
Jun 12, 2014
Daniele Ciocci
Daniele Ciocci marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Rossi
Rossi added it
May 04, 2014
More about George Marshall...
Skinhead Nation The Two Tone Story Get Out While You Can - Escape The Rat Race Kaum Skinhead Total Madness