Start by marking “Spirit of '69: A Skinhead Bible” as Want to Read:
Spirit of '69: A Skinhead Bible

Spirit of '69: A Skinhead Bible

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The definitive book on the British skinhead phenomenon. From the late 60s to the present, this book gives it to you straight. Style, music, football, aggro. From SHARP to the scourge of the neo-nazis. A wealth of photographs, graphics and cuttings make this a rather indispensable guide.
Published January 31st 1994 by ST Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Spirit of '69, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirit of '69

Tiffini
I am partial to this title since i used to be a pen pal with George Marshall when he was writing it.. My picture is in the 1991 first pressing so yeah i am totally biased:-) Crybabies like to poke jabs at the "skinhead manual" reputation of this book but before this title came out- hate to break it to you- but we used Skinhead by Nick Knight the same way in the early 80s.. now you kids have the internet....If you weren't the first generation of a subculture emulation is unavoidable.

Having said t
Theresa
Jul 04, 2007 Theresa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like it already know about it
I gave this such a high rating because it's the training manual for skins. It serves its purpose well and goes over everything. It's not racist or national front and it's really the only sourcebook for this marginalized culture. C'mon, everybody's got to read it once so when some young whippersnapper comes on "all hard" you say "Did you read that in Spirit of '69?" sneeringly and demand the respect that you deserve for being an old fart.

And that ain't much.
Kate
Worth reading for:
1. Primer on how to dress if you want to be a skin
2. Humor
3. You can tell everyone you read it; therefore, you're cool

In reality, it's worth reading for a history lesson, if nothing else.
Cwn_annwn_13
Yeah the skinhead thing never really appealed to me. If this book is, as it claims to be, the definitive book on skinheads then what little doubt I have that the skinhead scene at its roots was not any kind of real world working class movement but just another teeny bopper fashion/music scene pose mixed with bullying hooliganism has been erased. I will be fair and say a few good people have come out of that movement though. These people also grew up and moved on to other things. Sorry but anybod ...more
Calebrt
Jul 02, 2009 Calebrt marked it as to-read
Oh...to be 14 again.
Chef-andy
This was a book I truly liked. it is not a book for everyone. But one needs to keep their mind open to new things. This book if you wanted to buy can be a little spendee. Anywhere from $95 dollars to $500 dollars. I found a perfect copy ate Half Price Books in Minneapolis and paid $15 dollars. I do not think they knew the prices of this book.

I liked this book because it shared the TRUE spirit of the English Skinhead Movement. Based deep in SKA music, and to learn of the Black and Asian Skinhead
Mokoy Nakadnas
i,m skinhead and proud for that and I was know I,m not the white men in the skinhead.but I try to be like skinned but not the racist skinhead
Kirk Morrison
If you want to know the history of this youth culture this is the book to get. Marshall is partial to the scene so there's some cheerleading but I'd rather get an overall view from an insider than some armchair sociologist. Although Marshall is a little too forgiving on the violence in the scene, his wry sense of humor is welcome. A great corrective to all the mis-information you get in popular culture and the media.
R. Samuel Tiedemann
I've wanted to read this book for years and it was awesome to finally get a hold of it. Did not disappoint, and after all this time I still had plenty to learn from it.
Fahmi Arfiandi
kitab suci para skinhead ... learn more then you'll find what you looking for...bacaan masa muda..wkwkwk!
Smith Vicious
Aug 07, 2007 Smith Vicious rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
ga tauuuu sihh! cuma pengen nge add aja!
Acap
history of culture make fun
Chris
Jul 21, 2011 Chris added it
Shelves: enjoy
nice
Dorottya Vass
Dorottya Vass marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Greg Dimick
Greg Dimick is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2015
Ahmad Haizan
Ahmad Haizan marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Scott Cartwright
Scott Cartwright marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Rose May
Rose May marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Andrey Valenzuela
Andrey Valenzuela marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Gareth Gilroy
Gareth Gilroy marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Tim
Tim added it
May 15, 2015
Sami Eerola
Sami Eerola marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Merlando Permana
Merlando Permana marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
  • Böser kleiner Junge
  • إنهيار الرأسمالية: أسباب إخفاق إقتصاد السوق المحررة من القيود
  • American Hardcore: A Tribal History
  • The Young Hitler I Knew
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
  • Touch Me, I'm Sick: The 52 Creepiest Love Songs You've Ever Heard
  • The Story Of "Crass"
  • The International Jew
  • Babylon's Burning: From Punk to Grunge
  • A Wayward Angel: The Full Story of the Hells Angels
  • Odessa Star
  • Deutschland schafft sich ab
  • Modern Primitives: An Investigation of Contemporary Adornment and Ritual
More about George Marshall...
Skinhead Nation The Two Tone Story Get Out While You Can - Escape The Rat Race Kaum Skinhead Schweitzer: A Biography