Start by marking “End of the Century” as Want to Read:
End of the Century

End of the Century

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
At the eve of the new millennium, teenager Alice Fell is alone on the streets of a strange city, friendless and without a pound to her name. She is not sure whether she's losing her mind, or whether she is called by inescapable visions to some special destiny. Along with a strange man named Stillman Waters, a retired occultist and spy – or so he claims – she finds herself ...more
Published January 27th 2009 by Pyr (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about End of the Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about End of the Century

Jason Pettus
Mar 20, 2009 Jason Pettus rated it liked it
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

When it comes to the subject of genre projects, I like to think of there being two main types of artists out there: at the top you find a small number of so-called "A-writers," people like Neal Stephenson and JJ Abrams who are able to elevate their material beyond the usual genre tropes and thus appe
Sandra
Oh, this book. It has three different plotlines, in three different time periods, which means you spend a really long time just setting the scene for the story to develop. You need to meet everyone from every world, after all. The first time I tried to read this book, I was anxious and this book was too slow-going. I couldn't concentrate. This second time trying to read it, I was successful in getting through, and my, what a ride it was.

The three stories seem unrelated at first, but slowly you s
Anna
Feb 20, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book took me forever to finish, which is not entirely the fault of the book. I kept misplacing it! For awhile it seemed like I couldn't read more than a couple of chapters at a time before discovering that once again, I had to go hunting for it. There were a few times I couldn't find it and started reading something else, which of course meant I'd find my copy of End of the Century again once I got halfway through the new book.

The other thing that slowed me down, though, was the format. The
Rick
Jan 07, 2009 Rick rated it really liked it
Chris Roberson wisely dedicated his 14th novel to Michael Moorcock, Alan Moore, and Kim Newman, three authors who pioneered the difficult to execute non-linear, historical, time-travel adventure. Following in their perennially successful footsteps, Roberson’s End of the Century recounts three unique interrelated tales from three distinct time periods.

In 498 Anno Domini, the timid Galaad journeys to Caer Llundain — later known as London — for an audience with High King Artor, Count of Britannia.
Lauren
Oct 05, 2009 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Really pretty interesting book, but there were a couple of detractors from making my rating of this book higher. There were three subplots, each with their own time period, and the book skipped between them each chapter for most of the book. If something really interested was happening at the end of a chapter, the next chapter would still be the next time period's plot. This got to be really frustrating if not slightly confusing. Then, towards the end of the book, instead of switching plots at t ...more
Stormy
Aug 17, 2013 Stormy rated it it was ok
I would have given it three stars but it is only worth 2.5

*spoiler alert*

it has an intresting concept, namely beings that used to be human but they got sucked into a different space/ time continium. And that is where the flaws show up. Allot of the time things are explained in a different era then they occur. While clever I found it very annoying. some things are explained too quick and others drag on forever like the 'mysterious' huntsman. While you knew from the moment the king spoke of the fo
Jeff Raymond
Dec 12, 2010 Jeff Raymond rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-sci-fi
This is probably more of a 2.5 or so. Regardless, this is a book that tries to be four stories at once, and not all of them work, and the way they're kludged together is a little much. It started out fine, but I was getting a severe case of the "get on with it already"s midway through, and I nearly gave up completely about 100 pages from the end. I probably should have, to be honest, but yeah.

Highly disappointing, as this came highly recommended and well-reviewed from many of the book blogs I re
Jamil
A totally enjoyable read, a grail quest novel taking place simultaneously at the end of three different centuries. it's the Shining Knight issues of Seven Soldiers smashed up against a Sherlock Holmes pastiche & post-singularity episodes of Dr Who and Torchwood. It names its antecedents as works by Alan Moore (LOEG), Michael Moorcock, Kim Newman, and Philip Jose Farmer. It pretty successfully follows in all their footsteps while forging its own three headed path.
Eva Mitnick
Oct 27, 2013 Eva Mitnick rated it liked it
Apparently this book features several characters who also appear in some of Roberson's other books; time-traveling heroes and rapscallions from the future and the past who wield strange weapons, practice martial arts and never lack for a bon mot or two. I liked how a very SF plot device becomes a fantasy epic when woven into human history. There are a few holes and inconsistencies, but overall this is an entertaining read.
David
Jun 18, 2010 David rated it liked it
Shelves: king-arthur
Quite an enjoyable book. The author does a good job of weaving three plots in three times and bringing at least two of them together in the end. I was quite engrossed by the story. My only problem is there were some concepts he used, particularly in the second time frame, that were completely unnecessary for the plot (although he does say, in the Epilogue, that they are characters and concepts from others of his books).
Matt Kramer
Jan 30, 2012 Matt Kramer rated it really liked it
This novel was a bit of a slow start, but once all the pieces fell into place I couldn't put the book down. My only suggestion is to read Robertson's novel "Here, There, and Everywhere" first. While other novels tie in tangentially, "Here, There, and Everywhere" contains elements that make parts of this novel much easier to comprehend.
Jeni De Jesús
Mar 17, 2012 Jeni De Jesús rated it it was amazing
I loved Alice, Galihad and Mr. Blank. This book was a great read. Some of the other reviews complained about the going back and forth between the three stories and timelines; but seriously was that any different then the way plots go on the televisions we all spend too much time infront of? Another great read by Mr. Roberson!
Josh
Jul 12, 2012 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantastical
Good book, but too many disparate threads. There are also too many links to other books that hurts it when I haven't read any of the other books in this universe. Since it's not a series, but a collection of interconnected books. Using characters whose unique nature have nothing to do with the plot of the book can be somewhat misleading.
Carol
Jul 17, 2009 Carol rated it did not like it
I just wasn't a fan of this one. Rather than tying together the plotlines from the different centuries, it ended with some sort of super computer consuming one character, reviving another, and being corrupted by yet another. Not a keeper -- it's already gone to the used bookstore for credit.
Steven
Aug 03, 2009 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fascinating mix of periods & genres. This three-track book starts out with three different narratives that merge very well at the climax of the book. Marvelous read and it's going to force me to find more of Chris' books.
Fábio Fernandes
Jan 18, 2009 Fábio Fernandes rated it it was amazing
Its the best 2009 book Ive read in 2008 - and, I suspect strongly, it will continue to be so until the end of the year. ...more
Thanh
May 24, 2013 Thanh rated it really liked it
It was interesting, though the point of views and skipping around has a tendency to get really confusing.
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Mark p
Mark p marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Anna Wylie
Anna Wylie marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Melodius
Melodius marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Julianna
Julianna marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Chris Roberson is a science fiction author and publisher based in Austin, Texas, best known for alternate history novels and short stories.
More about Chris Roberson...