Start by marking “No Such Thing as a Bad Kid: Understanding & Responding to the Challenging Behavior of Troubled Children & Youth” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Published March 1st 1998 by Gifford School, the

To ask other readers questions about No Such Thing as a Bad Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Such Thing as a Bad Kid

Kate
Jun 02, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing
Written specifically for child- and youth-care professionals, teachers, and foster parents, No Such Thing As a Bad Kid is packed with information for anyone who lives or works with kids at risk. Based on the premise that misbehavior is a coded message, this empowering handbook guides you through the decoding process and, via hundreds of hands-on tips and sample dialogues, into approaches capable of revolutionizing your interactions with troubled children and their interactions with the world. Ev ...more
Vic
Jul 18, 2015 Vic rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for educators working with at-risk youth. I really enjoyed the accompanying DVD.
Sallyann
Feb 16, 2014 Sallyann rated it really liked it
An inspiring book for all who work with kids
Kirsten Brown
Feb 05, 2016 Kirsten Brown rated it liked it
Had to read for work
Jonathan
Dec 21, 2014 Jonathan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was aight. I really like it when social workers are passionate about what they do, but they often think common sense should rule the day, a little too much sometimes. I appreciate the wisdom, but I think we read books (and probably write them too) to garner a little more about the workings of the world than just "you should do this because it worked for me". -Read this one for class.
Julie
Mar 08, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
I read this book after seeing Applestein speak at our courts training day. I felt he was an engaging speaker & this book was good as well. However, more tuned towards foster care workers or residential care workers than my current position, I still found it good with solid examples of how to work with troubled youth.
Hannah
Nov 21, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it
A bit dated and at time geared more towards foster parents and caretakers - but nonetheless chock-full of both principles, research, rationale, and strategies that teachers of students in poverty will be able to use to impact their classrooms and their relationships with their students. Looking forward to sharing this!
Andrew
Apr 08, 2007 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves:
This has been an amazing book writen as a guide to dealing with troubled children and teenagers. I will read and re-read this book many times in my life. It offers more practicle wisdom than most will ever be able to absorb. Thumbs up!! If you work with kids, this is a must read.
Cheri
Aug 25, 2007 Cheri is currently reading it
Recommends it for: anyone who works or lives with children
I just started reading it, I will let you know more when I'm done.
Susan
Dec 02, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-book
Professional reading.
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Rosalee
Rosalee rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Zılan
Zılan added it
Feb 11, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Tiffani Deihl
Tiffani Deihl marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Anthony Lopez
Anthony Lopez rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Georgia Ecker
Georgia Ecker rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Dennis T. Beasley
Dennis T. Beasley marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2015
Dr. Curtis
Dr. Curtis is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2015
Kaniya
Kaniya marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Flavia E
Flavia E marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Rachel Albert
Rachel Albert rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Darcy
Darcy rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Afapp
Afapp marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Sara mccollum
Sara mccollum rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Heather Gross
Heather Gross rated it really liked it
May 28, 2015