Start by marking “Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells” as Want to Read:
Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells

Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,299 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Each month you are affected by the power of the Moon. Your energy levels wax and wane just as the Moon does, sometimes urging you to start new projects and other times to sit back and plan. But if you don't know the Moon's effect on you, you may be fighting it instead of using it to your advantage. Whether the moon is making you feel adventurous and productive or tense and ...more
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published July 31st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Magick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Magick

Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkDrawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonDemons of the Flesh by Nikolas Schreck
The Best Pagan Books
26th out of 284 books — 195 voters
Liber Aelph by The Silver ElvesWhat an Elf Would Do by The Silver ElvesCunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott CunninghamThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonThrough the Mists of Faerie by The Silver Elves
Pagan books
6th out of 36 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Julia
This book is a very strange mix of rituals, spells, myths, etc. and recipes and crafts. Like there's a spell to make warts disappear and then next there's a recipe for deviled egg sandwich spread. This might not be the best way to organize a book, but I was totally feeling it anyway. Inspired by the "German Witch Potpourri," I'm probably going to stuff some plants in a jar and call it potpourri. Also, "Russian Tea" is basically hot water, a cinnamon stick, and vodka. Isn't that great? Guess what ...more
Giovanna
Feb 08, 2013 Giovanna rated it did not like it
Gimmicky is the best word I can come up with here. It's fun for beginners, but honestly, why waste your time with something that's not as valuable as many other authors out there? I'd say borrow this from the library and read it if you can... don't buy it and spend your money on something else.
Viv
Apr 02, 2008 Viv rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Doreen
I think I need to make the Dragon Smoke Bath Salts - for prosperity. This book has quite a few recipes and craft ideas, ie Tibetan cologne.
Steve Cran
Ancient religions prior to the advent of male dominated solar religions based their calendar and lifestyle on the moon. It made sense the moon has a profound affect on our lives. Observe human behavior during a full moon. Crime rates tend to go up people seem to have more energy to use either from positive or negative purposes. People tend to get more emotional during full moons. Tides also rise with the moon phases and our bodies are 75% water.

That being said it is obvious that ancient Goddess
Mark Woodland
Jul 28, 2011 Mark Woodland rated it liked it
First off, in answer to your question, the reason I read this is principally for research for a book project of mine (though in that process, I've developed an interest in the subject in general, as I've a number of friends who are of earth religions). This book was a bit of a disappointment, since it didn't tell me much that I hadn't already seen elsewhere. In general, I've found that books whose title includes a "K" at the end of Magic tend to be on the side of ritualism and lighter on spiritu ...more
Rusty
Mar 17, 2013 Rusty rated it it was amazing

I loved reading this book. The monthly information is wonderful and very detailed.

The monthly sections, which give information on each month of the year, was very interesting. They were full of facts about each month, including corresponding: colors, flowers, scents and much more.

The lore included in the book about each month made for very good reading. And the recipes, spells, rituals, & crafts were interesting as well, and some of the crafts sounded fun to try.

I found the whole book to be

Casandra
Jan 12, 2016 Casandra rated it liked it
This book is a mix-match of multiple pagan followings, which is interesting but it felt a little too all over the place. Some of the other reviews mention the weird flow of the book, with spells and recipes being on the same page without much rhyme or reason.

What I love about this book is the large cover of pagan holidays most sources don't bother to mention. For that reason alone it's a keeper.
S.M.
Aug 22, 2014 S.M. rated it really liked it
Although I'm really not into spells and rituals and paganism, I liked the book for it's recipes and insights into the uses of various herbs and essential oils. It was a nice book during a four hour flight.
Bladestryke
Aug 08, 2015 Bladestryke rated it really liked it
There is a LOT of information here. This is a good read if your a follower of the Goddess, a student of world religions or old wives tales. Also a good source of information on how the months got their names. The only issue I had is that it was rather repetitive and often he felt like an ad for his other books. Like most books some of the crafts and recipes want rather hard to get or expensive things.
AnitaDurt
Jan 10, 2008 AnitaDurt rated it really liked it
i just retrieved this from my parent's bookshelf. this was a well-loved and used book that i got recipes from, cast spells from, etc. it describes each lunar month of the year (corresponding with the Gregorian calendar to make it easier...) and it has tons of myths and stories, recipes, crafts, spells, and info about each month. i'm excited about reading it again.
Jody Mena
Jun 01, 2015 Jody Mena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I bought this when I was about 13 and going through my 'witch' phase. It had some fascinating stuff in it, but mostly it just helped me realized that I am, indeed, Christian, though I do believe there are preturnatural forces in the natural world that are beyond human understanding. For that, I highly recommend this book.
Olivia Gourlay
Aug 18, 2012 Olivia Gourlay rated it really liked it
This book has three rituals, many craft projects and much more. The moon is important to many pagan religions. Changes in the moon helps us know when to cast certain spells and do certain rituals.
Deities of the moon are usually goddesses. To learn more about the goddess go on www.yoni.com
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
Useful for each phase of the moon for goddess/god lore. Lots of historical info of different cultures who celebrate something related to the moon at that time. Overall a decent reference book. Not my favorite, but it's decent.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Feb 15, 2014 Merissa (Archaeolibrarian) rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I regularly come back to. It has some wonderful crafts and recipes and is a joy to read.
Naytari Oak
Dec 03, 2013 Naytari Oak rated it really liked it
Organized into each months moon with spells and crafts for each phase during the month.
Whitnie
Jan 12, 2016 Whitnie rated it really liked it
Good solid foundation on the monthly moons and how to work with them.
Glenda
Jun 08, 2015 Glenda added it
I love D.J. Conway. She writes so well. Well worth the read.
Chante
Sep 17, 2012 Chante rated it it was amazing
Good rituals, recipes,and info. I will be picking this back up.
Shelsy
Jul 24, 2010 Shelsy rated it it was amazing
love it
Summer Mason
Summer Mason marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Dylan
Dylan added it
Auna
Auna marked it as to-read
Rachel Miller
Rachel Miller marked it as to-read
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Kaycee Herrington
Kaycee Herrington marked it as to-read
Akilah
Akilah marked it as to-read
Jan Johnson
Jan Johnson marked it as to-read
Jane Christensen
Jane Christensen rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Beltane: Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • Everyday Magic: Spells & Rituals for Modern Living
  • Spell Crafts: Creating Magical Objects
  • Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick
  • Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • To Stir a Magick Cauldron: Witch's Guide to Casting and Conjuring (RavenWolf to)
  • Natural Magic
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • The Witches' God
  • The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle
  • Embracing the Moon: A Witch's Guide to Rituals, Spellcraft and Shadow Work
  • Wheel of the Year: Living the Magical Life
A native of the Pacific Northwest, author D.J. Conway has studied the occult fields for over 35 years. Her quest for knowledge has covered every aspect of Paganism and Wicca to New Age and Eastern philosophies; plus history, the magical arts, philosophy, customs, mythologies and folklore. In 1998, she was voted Best Wiccan and New Age author by Silver Chalice, a Pagan magazine.

She lives a rather
More about D.J. Conway...