Start by marking “The Pale Horse” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Pale Horse

Agatha Christie

The Pale Horse (Ariadne Oliver #5)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  9,064 Ratings  ·  497 Reviews
Was it really the Thomasina Tuckerton--dropout heiress turned bohemian beat girl--seen in a cafe brawl with another woman? Her obituary confirms it. Thomasina's unfortunate demise would have passed unnoticed if it hadn't been for the priest who suffered a fatal blow at the hand of a stranger only days later. What's the connection? A list of names hidden in father Gorman's ...more
Paperback
Published June 2nd 1983 by Pocket Books (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Pale Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pale Horse

Issa Deerbany
قائمة ببعض الأسماء يكتبها راهب تم. القاءها عليه من قبل سيدة على فراش الموت.
هذه الأسماء اما لاناس ميتين او سيموتون .
رائعة الحبكة حيث ان الظاهر ان سبب الموت تحضير الأرواح والشعوذة والسحر . ولكن بطل القصة يصر على معرفة الحقيقة وراء موتهم والطريقة التي يتم فيها قتلهم

رواية جيدة جدا ولكن اعتقد ان مستواها اقل من باقي روايات أجاثا
Veronique
Nov 16, 2016 Veronique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Evil is nothing superhuman".`

As much as I love Poirot and Marple, there is something even more appealing to a Christie book with a totally unknown 'investigator'.

Mark Easterbrook senses all is not what it seems in a series of events that lead him to look into The Pale Horse. The narrative follows him as well as Detective-Inspector Lejeune in their queries about certain deaths that appear normal. But are they?

This is quite a dark novel but an enjoyable one, if just by the short presence of Aria
Hannah
Jun 15, 2009 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, mystery
Extremely dark and chilling - read with a stuffed animal or a huggable friend nearby! Very thrilling and powerful read, and definitely my favourite non-Poirot or Marple mystery, hands down. Definitely a tense and creepy affair; the atmosphere is very much like what I would imagine the dark streets of Whitechapel would be during the late 19th Century. Mark Easterbrook is a loveable hero, intelligent and brave, and you can't help but be nervous and root for him at the same time as he plunges headl ...more
Nandakishore Varma
A mystery which contains non of the Christie regulars (except Mrs. Oliver), which was surprisingly much better than I expected from the lukewarm first half. The discovery made by Mrs. Oliver gives the vital clue for solving the mystery - interestingly, it was instrumental in saving a person's life also in the real world.

(view spoiler)
Vicki
Apr 20, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio-books
The pale Horse is a really dark mystery. There are scenes that are just down right creepy. There are spells and threats that lend a spooky air to this book.

I listened to the AudioBook and found it very intense during those witch scenes. The mystery begins with the murder of a Catholic priest. He has a list of names in his shoe and that turn out to be a list of dead people. When Mark Easterbrook begins to look into this mystery because his godmother is on the list. Mark was a great character. He
mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

If you’ve decided that you’ve had your fill of dying, then choose http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

If you’ve decided that you’ve had enough of living, then choose http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
F.R.
Aug 03, 2010 F.R. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Early in this novel a character muses about how best to portray the Witches in a production of ‘Macbeth’. It’s his contention that rather than pushing up the weirdness so the sisters become something which could feasibly fit into a pantomime, they are instead portrayed as the kind of normal – if slightly sinister – old ladies who are frequently dismissed as witches in English country villages. As apparently all English villages have witches (a fact which all country folk know), and it would just ...more
Teresa
Sep 19, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ad indagare su questo caso non ci sono solo un ispettore di polizia ed un medico legale, ma anche uno scrittore, una restauratrice, un annoiato farmacista in pensione, un’altra scrittrice.
Be’, con tanto dispiegamento di forze è evidente che si arriverà in fretta al colpevole…
O forse, visto che in questo romanzo sono coinvolte forze oscure, magia nera e streghe, la faccenda rischia di essere più complicata del previsto?
Jaksen
Sep 26, 2016 Jaksen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting mystery from Ms. Christie. First off, two things...

One, there are a lot of twists and turns in this story, lots of red herrings, lots of 'lots of' to just put it out there. So much so there's a contrived feeling that runs through the book. The author really had to jump through hoops to make everything 'fit.' But it does. You end up feeling, well that makes sense - why didn't I see it! (I did guess at one part of the ending and got it right.)

Two, another takeaway from the book, whi
Laurel Young
Oct 14, 2010 Laurel Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip
Nov 05, 2010 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First read this 1961 Agatha Christie novel of modern-day 'witchcraft' in the early 1970s. Of course I'm not reading a St. Martins Press paperback edition - I'm reading the 1962 Dodd, Mead First Edition copy to which I recently treated myself!

This was one of the better - and better-received - novels of Christie's later period, and several years after its original publication this novel was instrumental in solving a real-life mystery involving several deaths!

This was definitely what I like to thin
Ivan
May 07, 2016 Ivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Today is Friday May 13th (2016) and this is the 13th Agatha Christie novel I’ve read. I enjoy her books, her style, although I’ve often found her plots too convoluted and contrived. However, when she is good, she’s really good – I’m thinking of “And Then There Were None” and “Murder on the Orient Express.” “The Pale Horse” is the best of all I’ve read so far. The plot is ingenious. The story flows with ease, is always interesting and suspenseful. The characters are familiar to Christie fans, and ...more
Nameeta Rao
Apr 12, 2017 Nameeta Rao rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nameeta by: Poonam
Picked this book up after a really bad read. Agatha Christie does not disappoint.
This mystery novel follows characters on their path to solve the deaths of various seemingly unrelated people.
I found it hard to place the time period this story is set in but if I were to guess it would be the early 1900's. There is a little romance thrown towards the end which is unusual for an Agatha Christie novel I think.

(view spoiler)
Sweety
May 11, 2017 Sweety rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Page turner? Yes. Surprise killer? Yes. Wow plot? No.
Christie dabbles in her favorite 'dull villages are a playground for hideous crimes' genre, along with black magic, Macbethian witches, serial murders and a meddlesome duo of do-gooders.
This isn't a review. Just a rant at wide loopholes. SPOILERS AHEAD ...
1. If Ginger was known to 3 witches, why on earth use her as dummy victim? How did she pass of as unknown ex wife?
2. If black magic was likely to be fatal, why give them Ginger's real glove
Deepa Swaminathan
Apr 20, 2011 Deepa Swaminathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
Is it possible to cause the death of someone by sheer power of mind, that is, without any visible contact? Is it possible to contract a deadly disease merely by someone’s ill wish? Are there people who can act as a living bridge between the mortal world and a world of uncanny powers? Agatha Christie proposes this improbable and incredible theory in her highly interesting book - The Pale Horse.

Story - Third person’s narrative- The story starts with a description of an ailing woman calling for the
Sergey
The Pale Horse is Agatha Christie’s novel dealing with black magic. Dame Christie ingeniously weaves a web into the murderous world of an old inn The Pale Horse where a witch, a medium and a psychic form circle of devious intentions. The story opens with Thomasina Tuckerton in a brawl with another woman over a man and that leads to a chain of events that uncovers one murder after another. Ms. Tuckerton’s untimely death and would have been unnoticed if Father Gorman had not been found murdered af ...more
Nina
Jun 16, 2016 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
4,75/5 *

Bagus banget! mau saya kasih lima bintang tapi saya gak tahu kenapa si pembunuh membunuh banyak orang di list itu. emang karena uang motifnya tapi gimana caranya. hm. I see it now.

Eniwei, saya gak nyangka bakal dapat buku ini. akhir akhir ini saya sering ngunjungi Blok Willis dan dapetin bukunya agatha christie murah. pale horse ini terbitan lama, 2005. covernya hitam dan ada gambar gagak di cover bagian atas. udah gak segel tapi masih bagus dan cuma 15rb. sama kaya harga bukunya agatha
Takashero
Aug 18, 2013 Takashero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
روايتي الثانية لاغاثا و قد جائتني كإقتراح و إعارة من إحدى أعز الصديقات ، في الحقيقة " رغم انني من المتعصبين لدان براون " الا ان اسلوب اغاثا في طي الاحداث بغموض و واقعيه ادهشني ، رواية بحق تجعلك تتلهف للوصول للنهايه لمعرفه سر الجريمة .. و انتهت بخاتمه جميلة و لطيفه جداً ♡
Damaskcat
Jan 27, 2017 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a chilling mystery which starts with a death which may or may not be natural almost immediately followed by the murder of a priest - Father Gorman - on his way home from talking to the dying woman. She has given him a list of names and she wants him to stop something awful happening. When writer, Mark Easterbrook - with the intermittent help of his friend - Mrs Ariadne Oliver - starts to investigate he finds that the only connection between the names is that they are all dead.

Several unc
Bev

It seems rather hard to believe that I had never read Agatha Christie's The Pale Horse (1961) before. After all, Dame Agatha is one of my favorites and I spent a great deal of time reading her books when I was younger--but I did not have this one logged and I did not own a copy until I picked up one of my beloved pocket-size editions in May of 2012, so I'm just going to ac
Meriana
Sep 20, 2016 Meriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
Solid 4 stars buat pemilihan kata yg sangat artistik dan klan rambut merah :D

Salah satu novel AC yg unik. Unik karena meski dari segi misteri biasa saja, tapi mampu menarik saya untuk membaca. Unik karena saya lebih banyak ketawa ngakak pas bacanya dari pada curious sama pelaku sebenarnya. Yaah, tapi waktu keadaan udah mulai genting, yaah saya jadi ndredeg juga. Harap-harap cemas supaya tokoh favorit ga terbunuh (*dan untungnya ini bukan GoT^^).

Yg menjadi favorit saya adalah dialog para tokohnya
Laila_m_240526
This was my first book to read by Agatha Christie, I’d add this book to my list of “the best books I’ve read” directly. I honestly chose this book cause of it’s title “the plae horse” since I like horses but then when I came to see who the author of the book was I trusted that it would be a good one since I’ve heard a lot about Agatha Christi and how her books are great and finally got the chance to read one.

The story starts in a tea house where a man witnesses a fight between two young girls, a
Viviana
Hoje, em homenagem ao seu 122º aniversário, terminei mais um livro daquela que é considerada a Rainha do Crime ou Duquesa da Morte como esta preferia ser apelidada.
É, como todos os outros, um livro que nos agarra desde as primeiras linhas e nos transporta para o mundo do crime em Inglaterra.
Apesar de, nesta história, não aparecer o meu detective preferido (Poirot), acabei por gostar muito da originalidade das personagens. Mark Esterbrook interpretou na perfeição o papel de investigador sedento
Lance Lumley
May 29, 2015 Lance Lumley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die Hard Christie fans.
Recommended to Lance by: Library book sale
In my goal of reading many of Agatha Christie's books, this one was a struggle to get through. I can read her books in 2-3 days, but this one took me some time, where I even stopped and read another book in 2 days and went back to this. This is nothing to do with her writing or skills-she is still the best at the genre, but the characters didn't move me as much.
After Father Gorman visits a lady who asks to see him on her death bed, Gorman receives a list of names and sticks it in his shoe. Whil
Noella  Van Looy
Nadat hij een stervende vrouw bezocht, wordt een pastoor neergeslagen. In zijn schoen vindt de politie een lijstje met namen. Dat is de enige aanwijzing die de politie heeft. Een van de namen is die van de tante van Mark Easterbrook, die recentelijk overleden is. Dan blijkt dat er ook nog andere personen op het lijstje overleden zijn, allen blijkbaar door een natuurlijke doodsoorzaak.
Het mysterie brengt Mark en de politie naar een huis dat vroeger een herberg was, 'Het vale paard'. Dit wordt nu
Alexandra
Dec 16, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england-mystery
This is one of the best Agatha Christie mysteries without Poirot or Mrs. Marple. Mark Easterbrook makes for a compelling and sympathetic narrator. Christie does a terrific job setting up an eerie, sinister atmosphere with discussion of Macbeth and the three witches. When the book's "three witches" appear, the scene has been well set. Christie outdoes herself with the misdirection in this book - I was totally surprised by the reveal of the evil mastermind, but the clues scattered throughout the b ...more
Yukino
Jul 09, 2015 Yukino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miei, 2015
Interrotto causa e-reader rotto e poi ripreso.
Non è la solita Agatha. Abbiamo magia e un po' di "rosa" a contornare il tutto. Scrittura perfetta, scorrevole tanto da non riuscire a staccarsi dal libro. La trama è semplice: un reverendo chiamato al capezzale di una donna nel tornare a casa viene assassinato : Chi sarà mai stato e perché? Lo scrittore Easterbrook si interessa della vicenda e inizia ad indagare collaborando con l'ispettore incaricato del caso. Lettura piacevole e come al solito non
Dawn
I am seriously addicted to the courageous, adventurous, and plucky heroines in Agatha Christie's books. They are completely opposite to me and maybe that is part of the charm.
The darker feel to this story as suggestions of the occult are raised gives it a slightly creepier feeling, though without losing any of the classic Christie flavour.
I loved the characters, the setting and the mystery.
Shopgirl
Feb 20, 2016 Shopgirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dame Agatha a encore frappé : impossible de trouver le coupable avant la révélation finale !

Une ambiance un peu différente, un enquêteur qui n'est pas Poirot mais que j'aimerais retrouver dans une autre intrigue, trois veilles sorcières et une liste de personnes décédées ...

Encore une lecture captivante !
Fuad Fidah
May 21, 2016 Fuad Fidah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
আরেকটা ভালো বই। পরথম পরথম হয়ত সনদেহ যাগতে পারে, হরর বই পড়ছি না তো? তবে শেষের দিকে এসে যখন খোলাসা হয়ে যায়, তখন.....

ফিনিশিংটা অনযানয বই এর মতো অনেক বেশি টুইসটেড না হলেও সযাটিসফাইয়িং। একমাতর আপততি হলো কাকতালের কিছুটা পরাধানয। ইংলযাণডে কি মাতর এই কজন লোক বাস করে? এছাড়া বেশ ভালো।

৫ দেয়া যায় না, কিনতু ৪.৫ অনায়াসে পেতে পারে।
Agatha Christie L...: March 2016 - A Pale Horse 6 52 Jul 17, 2016 01:16PM
Goodreads Librari...: What to do with a Standard Book Number? 4 26 Feb 07, 2015 04:42PM
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • Death and the Dancing Footman (Roderick Alleyn, #11)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)
  • Holy Disorders (Gervase Fen, #2)

More about Agatha Christie...

Ariadne Oliver (8 books)
  • Parker Pyne Investigates
  • Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot, #15)
  • Mrs. McGinty's Dead (Hercule Poirot, #28)
  • Dead Man's Folly (Hercule Poirot, #31)
  • Third Girl (Hercule Poirot, #35)
  • Hallowe'en Party (Hercule Poirot, #36)
  • Elephants Can Remember (Hercule Poirot, #37)

“What I wanted, frankly, was someone who would argue me out of the things that I was thinking.” 7 likes
“I avoided my own friends and acquaintances, yet the loneliness of my existence was insupportable.” 6 likes