Start by marking “Yesterday” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,169 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
In Yesterday, a sultry South Carolina landscape is the backdrop for the story of four childhood friends who must relinquish cherished memories of the past to embrace the painful truth that will change their lives forever.Raised on her father's South Carolina plantation, Callie Packer wanted for nothing, and now she is about to marry wealthy local scion Wyn Archer. But her ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Zebra (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Yesterday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yesterday

Annie Garvey
Mar 22, 2015 Annie Garvey rated it did not like it
Grannyvango
Feb 25, 2012 Grannyvango rated it it was amazing
Very good book, tells how love can make a family .How those that thought they were all that and a bag of chips find out they aren't all they think they are.How someone who thinks they are'nt are more than they realized but it doesn't matter they are content with who they are.When really care about thats whats most important.Secrets can make or break you .Very good read.Read about four friends and how things worked out when the truth comes out. WOW!
Leah Casarez
Jun 29, 2015 Leah Casarez rated it it was ok
I picked this up at a leave one/take one library. I've never read anything by Fern Michaels and not sure I will again. The story itself was ok, but incredibly slow paced. It was great when I needed something to put me to sleep.
Lesley
May 07, 2009 Lesley rated it it was ok
Thinking of you, Nancy, as this takes place in SC.

It dragged on and on. Very intertwined story line. And an abrupt very unsatisfactory ending.
Betsy
Mar 27, 2015 Betsy rated it did not like it
This book was terrible. It was scattered and very hard to follow. Thumbs down.
Morgz
Jun 11, 2013 Morgz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday is a really good book!I really enjoy how it's about 4 friends whose parents either didn't really care about them , one character was an orphan, and they were dropped off at the judges house for the day. They all became friends and played with each other and helped each other out every single day. There is this black person,Mama Pearl, whose a maid and takes care of the children. She would love and cherish them every moment of the time she spent with them. The kids LOVE Mama Pearl to de ...more
Linda
Jul 06, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
On the whole, I really enjoyed this book. The plot was engaging and entertaining. Where it fell a little short was the dialogue, which at times seemed stilted and didn't ring quite true. This is a story about family ties and what truly makes a family. Bode, Callie, Sela and Brie are all children in the low country. They are brought together by Mamma Pearl, who takes it upon herself to love them, teach them right from wrong, and admonish them to rely on each other and look out for each other at a ...more
Britney
Jan 01, 2015 Britney rated it it was ok
this was my first Fern Michaels book and I'm not sure I'd read another. it ended somewhat abruptly it doesn't feel entirely finished. I didn't like that the story was told 3rd person but through multiple different character views and would change so abruptly. I also wasn't sure which character I was supposed to hate or like at an given time.
victoria walker
Dec 22, 2014 victoria walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday

Yesterday seems so long ago,what about Tomorrow?Life throws curves and you deal with them but what happens when someone lovers you more than life itself? Your suddenly an orphan. LIfe..four different people face this very dilemma loved by the one Pearl
Deliasue
Jul 17, 2014 Deliasue rated it it was amazing
Four friends who grew up on Southern Plantation all from different backgrounds, have dark secrets, that almost tears them apart. Mother Pearl (the slave) loved them all equally, but one was a fraud. Read the book to find out which one it was... good read.
♥Robin ♥
Fern Michaels is one of my favorite authors. Although I did enjoy this book, it certainly isn't one of her best. The writing style wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. I can't seem to pinpoint exactly what wasn't clicking with me on the writing. There was very little character development but the characters were likeable. The pacing was very slow and the plot just seemed to jump all over the place at times. I did like the unexpected twists and surprises. If you are expecting a romance/love stor ...more
Makenna Dubay
Jan 09, 2016 Makenna Dubay rated it liked it
Interesting, but abrupt ending and far too many unnecessary details. It was ok.
Alex
Dec 12, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book about friendship in South Carolina's low country.
Diana Dupre
Aug 20, 2012 Diana Dupre rated it liked it
Not what I would typically consider a romantic novel, in fact it is rather dark and has sad undertones throughout. An interesting story with a satisfying end. I will pass this book on though I did enjoy it.

The characters growing up together under such odd circumstances and the author taking us along as they mature and realize things are not quite as they seemed was a great trip.

There are moments of romantic tones that seem to take a back seat to everything else going on and we come to realize th
Missghana77
Nov 21, 2014 Missghana77 rated it it was amazing
a beautiful story. I really enjoyed it. Thank you
Andrea Mcmillan
Oct 23, 2014 Andrea Mcmillan marked it as to-read
From Beth
Lee
Aug 04, 2010 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were some interesting issues covered in this book and I was anxious to learn what would end up happening to all these people. On the negative side, I couldn't really grasp the reasoning for everyone kowtowing to one of the main characters...and towards the end the emphasis on "yesterday" got pretty heavy-handed.

I didn't realize until after finishing this one that the author has an entire series of sisterhood books, which is understandable given her emphasis on relationships especially betw
Nancy
Feb 23, 2015 Nancy added it
read
Sherri McColeman
I loved it!
katie
Jul 21, 2011 katie rated it liked it
I'm into reading books which are set in the south and this one is a true southern story that has old souther traditions woven into it and traditional yet contemporary personalities that make the story rich and entertaining. The book takes the reader from the childhood of four children who were raised together as orphans, who are fiercly loyal to each other, through young adulthood and the dramatic and sometimes tragic life-experiences they encounter.
Sharon
Jul 02, 2012 Sharon rated it did not like it
I usually like Fern Michaels for an easy, beach-type read. I don't expect intriguing plots or character development. However, this book was beyond awful. Poorly written- it jumped all over the place and little to no character development. I keep trying to make myself finish it and not sure I will be able too.
Glenajo
Feb 20, 2011 Glenajo rated it did not like it
I listened to the audio version of this book and had to force myself to complete it. Too much whining and complaining for me. The plot wasn't bad but it moved so slowly that I didn't care about the outcome. I'll probably never pick up another Fern Michaels book.
Ashleigh Cross
Jun 21, 2010 Ashleigh Cross rated it it was amazing
Found this book on the side of the road on a few days before collection day and what an excellent find it was, a very good read you loved the characters and also hated them as well and there was a lot of suprises and twists I reccomend it =)
Julianne
Sep 11, 2008 Julianne rated it really liked it
Four kids grow up together on a plantation in South Carolina. Now they come together as adults and find out things they never knew about each other, things that could change their lives. Intriguing!
Janet
Nov 03, 2008 Janet rated it really liked it
Michaels weaves her characters together well, although I sometimes didn't like the ones I think she may have intended me to like. The story is compelling and keeps your interest to the last word.
Karen
Jan 27, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started out a little slow and not too interesting. Almost quit reading after the first few chapters. Glad I stuck with it cause it was a good book. Just a nice story.
Denise
Sep 20, 2010 Denise rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry at least 3 times. The ultimate revelation really surprised me. It proves that "family" is not necessarily something you are born to.
Dana Nelson
A really good story but somewhat slow in pace. Don't make the mistake that this is a romance novel. :)
Beth
Jul 24, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok
I finished Yesterday awhile ago... and i absolutely loved the book... would totally recommend it...
Gwynn
Jun 17, 2013 Gwynn rated it it was amazing
What a great story of a southern black woman and 4 children she raised. Couldn't put down.
What was in the bag? 2 6 Oct 28, 2013 05:26PM
  • A Gift of Joy (Delanza #2.5)
  • Carolina Isle
  • Abandon (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #6)
  • Sweet Tea at Sunrise (The Sweet Magnolias #6)
  • Whispers
  • Notorious
  • A Dry Spell
  • Lucky Stars
  • The Passions of Chelsea Kane
  • Woman Without a Past
  • The Secret Hour
  • The Secret (Paranormal Series I, #3)
  • Answered Prayers
  • One Night
  • Making Waves
  • Time Enough for Love
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I w ...more
More about Fern Michaels...