Start by marking “White fire” as Want to Read:
White fire

White fire

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  240 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
She possesses the couarge and beauty of her wild Cossack ancestors. Now Katerina is on a vengeance quest against the marauders who destroyed her village and stole her priceless snow-white horses in the name of the mad czar. Nor will she rest until she has killed the man who dared to take her innocence.

Never does she dream that it is her irresistible seducer--a proud Mongol
Published May 1st 1997 by Zebra (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about White fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White fire

Katherine
Let’s talk about bodice rippers, shall we?

Bodice rippers are a genre of literature that I’ve actively avoided for the longest time. I snickered at the bad covers and the abysmal descriptions on the back. I laughed every time I passed the humongous section of bodice rippers that inhabits the library of my grandma’s retirement facility. "I’m too good for bodice rippers”, I said.

It doesn’t help that both my mother and grandmother avoid bodice rippers as well. My cousin often gives books to my grand
Erin
Jan 23, 2014 Erin rated it did not like it
Read this book 4 years ago and LOATHED IT with a passion. Here is my review from Amazon circa 2010
I've starting reading Fern Michaels "Whitefire", can I just say how much I am really hating this book. I will probably not even finish it. I'm not a squeamish person but this book is horrible. It contains rape, not forced seduction. The hero has no redeeming characters as far as I can determine.

*****SPOILERS*******
This is a direct quote and mind you this takes place on page 18 of the book: "She felt
Feb 19, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate romance novels where the "heroine" falls in love with the guy that raped her....this would never ever happen. What a load of crap!
Noelle
I really tried to like this one but I just could force myself to finish it.

Katerina (h) was a young woman who's father Sasha powerful Cossack know as The Kat. One day when she was away from the steppe (where her village is) her all of her peolple are slaughtered including her father,the snow white horses prided by her people are gone,stolen. She takes it on herself to make a long and dangerous journey to her uncle (another powerful man) for help. Along the way she meets a man who she clearly rem
Ash
Jan 11, 2014 Ash rated it really liked it
"In a time of ancient gods, warlords and kings, a land in turmoil cried out for a hero. She was Xena, a mighty princess forged in the heat of battle. The power. The passion. The danger. Her courage will change the world." Not quite, in fact it's way more brutal, but I couldn't help hearing Xena's war cry every time this heroine's eyes spewed fire. Katerina's Cossack village is slaughtered and their prized cosars (horses) stolen. Daughter of the headman and trained as a warrior, she's determined ...more
Kristen Caldwell
Jan 01, 2015 Kristen Caldwell rated it did not like it
This was just terrible. The only redeeming thing about this book was the historical aspect, but even that was half-assed. I have to question if the author intended to sell more books after this one because how any self-respecting woman would read a romance based on rape and hatred I don't know. It's not the first book like that I've read, but at least in the other book the romance/relationship was built up. This was almost like the flip of a switch and completely unbelievable. The writing itself ...more
JAC
May 23, 2016 JAC rated it did not like it
DNF after the first or second chapter. I can't remember which because I no longer have the book and I don't know which chapter that the hero brutally rapes the heroin in. Yes I said brutally rapes. The back blurb would have you believe it was a reluctant seduction but trust me it was not. He knocked her unconscious and violently raped her. There was absolutely no consent what so ever on her part. After reading this horrible crime scene I couldn't bring myself to read the rest without being sick ...more
Patricia Solla
This is an early novel by the author. It's historical in nature and nothing like the contemporary novels she writes now. That being said; it was a good book. The setting is the Russian steppes and involves the breeding of a special kind of horse. Through the story we learn about the treatment of the Russian people from royalty to the fierce Cossacks.
Chantelle Larson
I read this book many years ago when I was still an unseasoned reader and I loved it. Now, reading it again with so many other titles under my belt its strange how opinions and expectations can change. No doubts I still enjoyed it but there were some things that could've used some improvments. For one, sometimes it felt like the author would totally forget what she was saying, never undetestimate the importance of double spacing or even break-starring to signal the beginning of a different perso ...more
Meagan Raborn
Nov 16, 2012 Meagan Raborn rated it really liked it
I reall liked this story.. for a few reasons.. ont being that the heroin IS a strong woman! she can kick butt! I did have a hard time getting over the fact that the hero is the guy that raped her.. but I guess when you stop and think about how harsh these people are and have to be.. But thats the only reason it didnt get 5 stars from me.
Bonnie
Oct 10, 2012 Bonnie rated it really liked it
The love the way Fern Michaels writes...I know this is an older book of hers but I just love reading her books.
Janice
Oct 12, 2014 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like: Adventure, Romance, Battles, Revenge, Hardship
I liked this book. A lot!! It is not heavily stepped in history, yet some. I enjoyed the story line and I know now more about this time in Russia, prior to when I read the book. I am more of a historical/fiction reader than just history books. - Always time to grow in reading styles though~!

I think the critics’ of this book, especially the bias against our heroine falling in love with a man who had earlier raped her, are forgetting or sitting aside the setting and times of the people in this bo
Kathy
Setting: 1500’s Russia – Cossack village and winter fort/stables; Mongol camp; Terem palace in Moscow;

Theme: honor; love; respect; revenge

Imagery:
-the beautiful, white, strong Cosar horses especially as move through the snow – power, strength, loyalty

- the Cossack ideal – independent, warrior, light on feet, at one with horse (feed horse before himself), fearless, loyal

Characters:
Katerina Vaschenko – the new Kat… a young woman; as the only child, she trained with her father’s men in the Cossac
Kathy Dough
Apr 18, 2015 Kathy Dough rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whitefire

I can not recommend this book at all. Mostly I skimmed it to see how she managed to get the horses back. The author couldn't tell the difference between colts and fillies. Plus the rape turned to "love" is abominable. If it wasn't my Kindle, I would have thrown it across the room a few times. Not worth reading!!
Michelle
Nov 25, 2012 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story was poorly written. I barely liked it but I can't really figure out why I liked it at all.
I was looking for a book in which the male love interest was an alpha male. While it's true that Banyen was alpha to the extreme (I love an alpha male) it's just too poorly written to become a favorite of mine.
I almost bought it but decided to borrow it from the library instead. I'm so glad I did. This is a book that I would throw away rather than donate. It was that bad.
I love Katerina. Her str
Carol  MacInnis
Jan 24, 2014 Carol MacInnis rated it liked it
In the 16th century, Ivan the Terrible reigned over Russia and the people feared him. He was a ruthless, callous murdering lunatic who took extreme pleasure in the pain and degradation of others.

Katerina Vaschenko is the daughter of Katlof ('Kat') who is the head of the Don Cossack village and he breeds the beautiful and majestic pure white Cosar horses. But one fateful day when Katerina returns to her village, she sees that her village and all the people have been murdered, including her father
Marg
Apr 19, 2014 Marg rated it did not like it
I did not like this book. It was so predictable you really didn't even have to finish it. There was some historical events and the setting was interesting. But beyond that not much held my interest.
Britt Pearson
While I really enjoy Fern Michaels, this was not her best work. Entertaining but the story was disjointed at times.
Wyldrabbit
Feb 06, 2016 Wyldrabbit rated it really liked it
Highly enjoyable story. Touching and romantic.
Ceashark
Mar 20, 2016 Ceashark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book
Carol Hall
Jun 06, 2015 Carol Hall rated it did not like it
bloody
LuvGirl
I refuse to torture myself with this book any longer! The writing is atrocious!It's so carelessly written! This must have been FM's first book. This is my first book by her but she absolutely must write better by now!Right..? Right..? At first I couldn't turn away from the OTT stuff, but the writing was so dumb that I felt stupid just reading the thing- so I gave up half way through. Also, the heroine acted too masculine for my taste, she kind of emasculated the hero after a while.
Marydruttman
It was okay
Joyce
Apr 02, 2016 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as well written as other Fern Michael's novels.
Victoria
Jan 14, 2016 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dissapointments
This book made me uncomfortable...
Marjorie
Jul 09, 2009 Marjorie rated it really liked it
The story takes place in Russia 16th century; during the rain of Ivan the Terrible. A young Cossack Woman takes on the Czar and a Mongol Prince, for destroying her home and town.
Courtney
Had a bit of a hard time in the begining with her falling for the man who raped her, but otherwise it was a good read
Kate
Dec 13, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok
Interesting story that suffers from stilted and awkward writing.
Bradley
May 06, 2012 Bradley rated it liked it
Well written but alas not for me. Donation fodder for this one! =)
Cheryl
Feb 01, 2012 Cheryl rated it did not like it
Not one of my favorite Fern Michaels books.
What's The Name o...: romance involving white horses [s] 7 27 Apr 13, 2012 01:15PM
  • Dark Fires (Brandon-Morgan #2)
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • Never Call It Love
  • Bonds of Love
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • Catherine the Great
  • Love's Wild Desire
  • Defiant Captive
  • Rose of Rapture
  • Moss Rose
  • This Other Eden (Eden, #1)
  • Sea Fire (Pirates, #2)
  • Fires of Destiny
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I w ...more
More about Fern Michaels...