Start by marking “The Duke's Husband” as Want to Read:
The Duke's Husband

The Duke's Husband

Jay Wharton and Devon Brooks meet and fall in love in merry ole England. Only everything isn't so merry. Jay is the Duke of Wharton, and his mother doesn't care for his relationship with Devon. The Duchess' schemes drive Devon from England back to the United States. Unwilling to let Devon go, Jay follows him to the States and proposes to him. Devon agrees to marry him, and ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Phaze Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Duke's Husband, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke's Husband

Force of Law by Jez MorrowTruth in the Dark by Amy LaneFrog by Mary CalmesA Note in the Margin by Isabelle RowanCinder by Marie Sexton
Best Gay Cinderfellas
86th out of 201 books — 354 voters
Among the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceThe Ghost on My Couch by L.A. GilbertCamp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceCriss Cross by Jordan Castillo PriceBody and Soul by Jordan Castillo Price
Best Gay Ghosts
69th out of 145 books — 183 voters

More lists with this book...

Kati
Feb 03, 2009 Kati rated it it was ok
I picked this ebook because people on my GR flist liked it. But I just couldn't get into it. There was something... off about it. The characters seemed flat and even after 70+ pages, I didn't care at all what would happen to them. Maybe I'm just in a weird mood or something, who knows. It just felt like the book should have rather been a series of short stories, as it is it seems a bit convoluted - I felt like the paranormal stuff just didn't fit the beginning at all, it seemed like the authors ...more
Absynthe
May 06, 2010 Absynthe rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m
I normally like the work of both these authors. But this book was weird. It was like two books stuck together. It starts as a really interesting romance between a Duke and an American then somehow segways into a ghost story.

I think this book would have been significantly better if it had actually been written as two completely seperate books. The beginning and the end are both interesting, but they really have nothing to do with each other, other than sharing the same characters... somehow...
pbj
Bizarrely schizophrenic.
Starts as a gay British drawing room romance, complete with dukes, virgins and nasty mothers-in-law, minor drama ensues, they are separated and then our happy couple reunite in New York, marry in Canada and move to Kansas(?!) Then it turns out the ex-virgin's family is cursed and their fixer-upper house is haunted.
WT*?
Sath
I read maybe a couple of chapters. But I just... didn't get it.
At first I thought it was going to be historical romance, what with the stuff about Dukes and balls and stuff. But it was actually supposed to be modern day I think. And that turns out to be just bizarre and irritating. Maybe it was written by an American that had a fanciful idea that Britain was still having balls and socialising with Dukes, but then of course we dash off to the pub afterwards and have a pint of beer...
Also the char
Brenda (b)
Wow. A great story, but I wasn't expecting the paranormal element that took over about half way through. The meeting, involvement and coming together of Jay and Dev take up the 1st half of the story. I kept thinking, it's only half way in but it feels like the plot's wrapping up. Boy was I surprised. The 2nd half isn't so much about how they keep their relationship going as it is about how they survive the extraordinary direction their lives take after moving into Dev's grandfather's house. The ...more
Riayl
May 30, 2014 Riayl rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm, romance
1.5

I have a hard enough time remembering why I did or didn't like a book a few days after I read it, let alone trying to remember how I felt about one I read a few years ago, so there are very few books I am comfortable rating/reviewing without rereading. So in the interest of organizing all my e-books (a monumental, possibly never-to-be-finished task) and adding what I have read to GR with a rating, and sometimes a review, I picked this up to reread.

I had forgotten how mind-numbingly boring I
J'aime
Aug 03, 2011 J'aime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a guilty little secret - I read Barbara Cartland. There's just something about a British noble (be he Duke, Earl, Marquis, or whatnot) winning his true love that tickles me. Such stories are surely the inspiration for this wonderful gay romance from Black and Carmichael. Jay is the Duke of Wharton. Much to his mother's consternation, he refuses to choose a duchess and beget heirs. Devon's mother is British, but he was raised in the U.S. by his father. While visiting England, his mother dr ...more
Elisa Rolle
Like an old classic novel, Dev and Jay are young and beautiful and their love is written on the stars, but the world is against them... and not because Jay is a Duke and rich and Dev is from the middel class and only of average wealth, and not becuase Jay is almost thirty and Dev is only nineteen, and not because Jay is a little snob and Dev dislike all the glamour... but becuase Jay and Dev are both men. So the only thing they have in common is also the one that could be tear them apart!

Jay's m
RavenT
Sep 15, 2016 RavenT rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, thriller
2.5 stars: This started out as a first-time romance of a virgin who falls for a duke. Then it became a a paranormal thriller. I was motivated by the novelty of a contemporary "fall in love with royalty" with the gay love adding inter-family drama. It was a bit light on character development and the romance quickly became love. Not a big fan of insta-love, tbh. There's a set up for another book; I'd be interested enough to read it, mainly to see if it's a gay PNR too.
Jane
Oct 20, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
Two men meet and connect. One an aristocratic experienced rake and the other just graduated from high school.
Although no one approves, especially the aristtocrat's mother. Wealth and power have privileges.
When Devon leaves England under pressure Jay follows.
The heart knows no boundaries.
A beautiful love story where happiness is difficult and wonderful. Intrigue follows.
Am looking forward to the second book.
Shawn
This was an okay read. It started off a bit slow, but in the end it was okay. The sex was (of course) hot. I dunno. Over all I feel kinda "blah" about the whole thing. I just didn't really care if the MC's got together. All the leaving...Be with me...leaving...be with me got old kinda quick.

Anyway, of all the books I've read by Mychael Black and Shayne Carmichael this was not my favorite.
Reader
Apr 28, 2016 Reader rated it did not like it
Up to chapter 5, all was going well--sort of. Chapter 6 to about 13/14 was excruciatingly bad writing--I seem to detect a second voice there.

Readers really do not need a blow by blow account of every look, every action, every step, every tree, etc, etc.

Then we get into Full Metal Alchemy- now that is---I don't know. Sorry but not the best from these writers.
Writerlibrarian
This is an average story. The two leads have almost no depths. One of them is just a girl in man's clothing. A bit of a disappointment. The supernatural aspect is on the other hand well done. This story has two focus first one the courtship between the two character Jay and Devon and the haunted house story.

These are not authors I'll try again.
Lilli *slowest reader ever*
The first part of the book I enjoyed very much. It is not often you find a contemporary story about a young gay guy who is wooed by a Duke until the glorious wedding night. It was a nice change and offered an enjoyable, gentle reading pleasure. Unfortunately the story didn't end then but turned into a ghost story. Huge WTF moment.
Jean
Dec 23, 2009 Jean rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read by either Mychael Black or Shayne Carmichael and I didn't love it. There were too many plot lines left unresolved and the story shifted focus abruptly in the middle of the book and was never tied back together.
Indigo
Dec 17, 2011 Indigo rated it it was ok
First part ok, second part so awful to me I was unable to finish reading... too bad
Kristy Maitz
Jul 05, 2012 Kristy Maitz rated it it was ok
The story plot is very boring and both main characters are not interesting.
Sarina
Sarina marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Valeska Gary
Valeska Gary marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Lillian168
Lillian168 rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2016
Rustandstardust
Rustandstardust rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Franz
Franz rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2015
A
A marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Shannelle Lamour :)
Shannelle Lamour :) marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Rita-Teodora
Rita-Teodora marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
ElizabethGoh
ElizabethGoh rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Maycon
Maycon marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Good_danto
Good_danto marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Ladysnape
Ladysnape marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Forgotten Song
  • A-Muse-Ing
  • On The Ragged Edge Of The World  (Calendar Boys, #10.5)
  • Angel's Evolution
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Survival
  • The Elf and Shoemaker
  • Virgin (Awakenings, #1)
  • Magic and the Pagan
  • Rough Draft
  • Golden Boy, Golden Man
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Del Fantasma: Unicorn
  • Angel Heart (Angel Series, #2)
  • Arresting Developments
  • Velvet Glove: Volume II
  • Cat Toy
  • Dreaming of You
1200273
aka Kay Derwydd

What do online gaming, Spongebob, cooking, writing, and an unnatural addiction to Mountain Dew all have in common?

Not a damn thing, which is what makes Mychael Black an interesting bird indeed.

Born in north Alabama, Mychael now resides in north Mississippi. Having run the gamut of labels in regard to gender and sexuality, Mychael now shuns society’s views on normality and embraces a
More about Mychael Black...