Start by marking “False Dawn” as Want to Read:
False Dawn

False Dawn

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In a brutal and wasted world the only law is survival at any cost. As armed packs of outlaws called Pirates roam the earth, two desperate people struggle to learn there is more to life than just survival.
Mass Market Paperback, 237 pages
Published April 1st 1979 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about False Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Dawn

Heather *live on coffee and flowers*
This utterly tedious story gets 1 star.

But that FREAKISHLY AWESOME cover gets 5 stars. Seriously, the cover is the only reason this book is staying in my collection.
I read this upon publication, in 1978, and I wish I could convey what a radical, ground-breaking book it was for its time. First, it's post-apocalyptic, but the apocalypse is ecological, where every other book in the genre before that was nuke, nuke, nuke. (As a futurist, she may end up being right, too.) Second, there's a woman protagonist who can and does function alone through most of the book, and she carries a weapon and is good with it. I know people younger than I can't imagine a world in ...more
Written maybe inte late 70's, this book blows away The Road, and it's the post-civilization road trip that should have been made into a movie.
A. E. S.
Pros about this book: Post-apocalyptic setting is revolutionary for its time of publication (1970s). Has some very nice desolation scenes, the bleakness of which reminded me a lot of Frazetta paintings. This would be a good companion for anyone who read the Dark Tower series or played any of the Fallout Games, if only for the Con part of my review.

Cons about this book: Did not age well after publication (vinyl record albums and hippie vans now seem dated in 2015). Where is my plot? If False Dawn
Matteo Pellegrini

"La maggior parte dei cadaveri giacevano presso i silos e i depositi del quartiere industriale dove i difensori, intrappolati tra i Vigilanti e il fiume Sacramento, avevano opposto l'ultima resistenza ed erano stati massacrati. Anche un certo numero di assalitori erano rimasti sul terreno, e Thea notò che alcuni erano in uniforme. Ciò che restava della Difesa Civile, evidentemente, aveva fatto causa comune con le bande di saccheggiatori e assassini che s'erano dati il nome di "Vigilanti"... Thea

Heather Sheehan benedict
I had to rate this right in the middle. Love this author. Loved the plot. Loved the writing. This is not a book I will be able to read again. The title, False Dawn, is completely appropriate. Engaging and realistic post-apocalyptic vision. No candy coating.
Read this back in high school. A fascinating look at the future of America, human mutation, and post-apocalyptical survival.
Julianne G Cockey
Good story Bad Editing

Too many spelling errors and mistypes to enjoy the story. Extremely poor editing. Too bad, because the writing was good. A very thought provoking and page turning story ruined once again by the sloppy lack of editing.
Andy Phillips
This is a fairly standard story within the post-apocalyptic genre, but it's well written and exciting, so that's not a bad thing. A man and woman travel through the Sierra Nevada in an attempt to find a place of safety while pursued by a gang of 'pirates'. The story is set some years after a worldwide disaster, but within the memory of the older survivors. They struggle to survive through harsh conditions and various encounters with strangers and wild animals, scavenging in derelict buildings fo ...more
Interesting premise, but the e-edition is very poorly edited. Missing punctuation, Hs instead of Bs, and other issues that made it hard to read.
Dana F
A chilling picture of what a future could have become
Thea hated it because it's too "brutal, scaaary", so I figured that's a recommendation for Velma. I didn't mind the brutality (it's the apocalypse, y'all), but it is so poorly written I almost through it across the room. The setting (Sierras) was good, at least. And it was funny to read it in the 'future' (it was written in 1978, set in 2014). And it was over quickly, so there were three good things.
This style of post-apocolyptic story I do not think aged well. THough there are counter examples that did (Earth Abides, I know why sweet birds sing).

But the dying world with strong man (usually) trying but being beaten down does not feel in tune. Perhaps also why I did not like the Road - so maybe more than a time of writing issue.
Well that was incredibly depressing. This novel was written in 1978 and is set sometime around 2014, in a poisoned and dying post-nuclear-disaster world, which is inhabited by mutated humans, and pirates bent on looting and destroying everything they can find. Not much room for hope in this vision of the future. Very bleak.
I remember reading this when I was young and how it made an impression on me at the time. I read it again now that I am older. This short novel still has an effect, it leaves a bittersweet melancholy that lingers after the last pages have been read.
The action is immediate and the interesting subtleties about the world and the characters is revealed in such an interesting way. I'm really enjoying this so far.
Tim Wolfe
Was pretty short and we didn't get a lot of character developlment, probably due to the length as much as anything but was entertaining.
Ruby Hollyberry
Disliked this book so much I've never read another book by the author.
Erik Graff
Oct 26, 2008 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yarbro fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Middlin' post-collapse novel.
Mollitia eius est ratione repellat quis illum. Necessitatibus ut eos. Qui natus est. Dolorum autem corporis velit nemo. Repellat eligendi veniam fugiat facere.
Pattie Nauheimer Ekman
Pattie Nauheimer Ekman marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
John Raymund
John Raymund marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Lauri marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Thx 1138
  • Of Men and Monsters
  • The City, Not Long After
  • Walk to the End of the World (Holdfast Chronicles, #1)
  • Naked to the Stars
  • Under the Green Star (Green Star, #1)
  • The Genocides
  • The Wind from Nowhere
  • Wheels Within Wheels (The LaNague Federation, #2)
  • Glimmering
  • Earthman, Come Home (Cities in Flight, #3)
  • The Moon Men ( The Moon Trilogy #2)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Brain Wave
  • I Who Have Never Known Men
  • Level 7
  • Web
A professional writer for more than forty years, Yarbro has sold over eighty books, more than seventy works of short fiction, and more than three dozen essays, introductions, and reviews. She also composes serious music. Her first professional writing - in 1961-1962 - was as a playwright for a now long-defunct children's theater company. By the mid-60s she had switched to writing stories and hasn' ...more
More about Chelsea Quinn Yarbro...
Hôtel Transylvania (Saint-Germain, #1) Blood Games (Saint-Germain, #3) The Palace (Saint-Germain, #2) Path of the Eclipse (Saint-Germain, #4) A Flame in Byzantium (Atta Olivia Clemens, #1)