Start by marking “False Dawn” as Want to Read:
False Dawn

False Dawn

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  171 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In a brutal and wasted world the only law is survival at any cost. As armed packs of outlaws called Pirates roam the earth, two desperate people struggle to learn there is more to life than just survival.
Mass Market Paperback, 237 pages
Published April 1st 1979 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about False Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Dawn

Heather *live on coffee and flowers*
This utterly tedious story gets 1 star.

But that FREAKISHLY AWESOME cover gets 5 stars. Seriously, the cover is the only reason this book is staying in my collection.
Zora
Nov 10, 2013 Zora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this upon publication, in 1978, and I wish I could convey what a radical, ground-breaking book it was for its time. First, it's post-apocalyptic, but the apocalypse is ecological, where every other book in the genre before that was nuke, nuke, nuke. (As a futurist, she may end up being right, too.) Second, there's a woman protagonist who can and does function alone through most of the book, and she carries a weapon and is good with it. I know people younger than I can't imagine a world in ...more
David
Jun 04, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written maybe inte late 70's, this book blows away The Road, and it's the post-civilization road trip that should have been made into a movie.
A. E. S.
Mar 26, 2015 A. E. S. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-zap-zap
Pros about this book: Post-apocalyptic setting is revolutionary for its time of publication (1970s). Has some very nice desolation scenes, the bleakness of which reminded me a lot of Frazetta paintings. This would be a good companion for anyone who read the Dark Tower series or played any of the Fallout Games, if only for the Con part of my review.

Cons about this book: Did not age well after publication (vinyl record albums and hippie vans now seem dated in 2015). Where is my plot? If False Dawn
Matteo Pellegrini

"La maggior parte dei cadaveri giacevano presso i silos e i depositi del quartiere industriale dove i difensori, intrappolati tra i Vigilanti e il fiume Sacramento, avevano opposto l'ultima resistenza ed erano stati massacrati. Anche un certo numero di assalitori erano rimasti sul terreno, e Thea notò che alcuni erano in uniforme. Ciò che restava della Difesa Civile, evidentemente, aveva fatto causa comune con le bande di saccheggiatori e assassini che s'erano dati il nome di "Vigilanti"... Thea

Heather Sheehan benedict
I had to rate this right in the middle. Love this author. Loved the plot. Loved the writing. This is not a book I will be able to read again. The title, False Dawn, is completely appropriate. Engaging and realistic post-apocalyptic vision. No candy coating.
Jessica
Read this back in high school. A fascinating look at the future of America, human mutation, and post-apocalyptical survival.
Jeremy Keenan
Oct 14, 2008 Jeremy Keenan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
brutal
Meghan
Dec 02, 2015 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Poisonous Chemicals Scare Me!!

Loved this story! In an apocalyptic world, meaning not just wars but damaged ecosystems, people and animals have to evolve to survive. But not fast enough. Some experimentation was done, but there was no cure...this is a tough world and honestly...I would hate to have to survive it..i would rather have zombies! I love the characters because in the end good vs bad never mattered.
Julianne G Cockey
Good story Bad Editing

Too many spelling errors and mistypes to enjoy the story. Extremely poor editing. Too bad, because the writing was good. A very thought provoking and page turning story ruined once again by the sloppy lack of editing.
Andy Phillips
This is a fairly standard story within the post-apocalyptic genre, but it's well written and exciting, so that's not a bad thing. A man and woman travel through the Sierra Nevada in an attempt to find a place of safety while pursued by a gang of 'pirates'. The story is set some years after a worldwide disaster, but within the memory of the older survivors. They struggle to survive through harsh conditions and various encounters with strangers and wild animals, scavenging in derelict buildings fo ...more
Amanda
Jan 17, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise, but the e-edition is very poorly edited. Missing punctuation, Hs instead of Bs, and other issues that made it hard to read.
Amy For
Jan 23, 2016 Amy For rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Two horrific scenes in the first 20 pages. Not for me.
Dana F
Aug 24, 2014 Dana F rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A chilling picture of what a future could have become
Velma
Thea hated it because it's too "brutal, scaaary", so I figured that's a recommendation for Velma. I didn't mind the brutality (it's the apocalypse, y'all), but it is so poorly written I almost through it across the room. The setting (Sierras) was good, at least. And it was funny to read it in the 'future' (it was written in 1978, set in 2014). And it was over quickly, so there were three good things.
Robert
Jul 30, 2012 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This style of post-apocolyptic story I do not think aged well. THough there are counter examples that did (Earth Abides, I know why sweet birds sing).

But the dying world with strong man (usually) trying but being beaten down does not feel in tune. Perhaps also why I did not like the Road - so maybe more than a time of writing issue.
Carolyn
Mar 09, 2013 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Well that was incredibly depressing. This novel was written in 1978 and is set sometime around 2014, in a poisoned and dying post-nuclear-disaster world, which is inhabited by mutated humans, and pirates bent on looting and destroying everything they can find. Not much room for hope in this vision of the future. Very bleak.
Buzz
I remember reading this when I was young and how it made an impression on me at the time. I read it again now that I am older. This short novel still has an effect, it leaves a bittersweet melancholy that lingers after the last pages have been read.
Sean
Nov 10, 2009 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The action is immediate and the interesting subtleties about the world and the characters is revealed in such an interesting way. I'm really enjoying this so far.
Tim Wolfe
Was pretty short and we didn't get a lot of character developlment, probably due to the length as much as anything but was entertaining.
Fishface
Post-apocalyptic survival story of life among the mutants. Gripping in a grim, horrible way.
Ruby Hollyberry
Disliked this book so much I've never read another book by the author.
Erik Graff
Oct 26, 2008 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yarbro fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Middlin' post-collapse novel.
Bender
May 31, 2014 Bender rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mollitia eius est ratione repellat quis illum. Necessitatibus ut eos. Qui natus est. Dolorum autem corporis velit nemo. Repellat eligendi veniam fugiat facere.
Tony Ferreira
Tony Ferreira marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Pallas
Pallas added it
Jan 30, 2016
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Loosed upon the World: The Saga Anthology of Climate Fiction
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • I Who Have Never Known Men
  • Under the Green Star (Green Star, #1)
  • Motherlines (Holdfast Chronicles, #2)
  • Winds of Change: Short Stories about Our Climate
  • The Fall of Colossus
  • The Admiral
  • Wolf and Iron
  • Foragers, Farmers, and Fossil Fuels: How Human Values Evolve
  • The Thousand-Headed Man (Doc Savage #2)
A professional writer for more than forty years, Yarbro has sold over eighty books, more than seventy works of short fiction, and more than three dozen essays, introductions, and reviews. She also composes serious music. Her first professional writing - in 1961-1962 - was as a playwright for a now long-defunct children's theater company. By the mid-60s she had switched to writing stories and hasn' ...more
More about Chelsea Quinn Yarbro...