Kentucky Rich

Kentucky Rich (Kentucky #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,467 ratings  ·  54 reviews
On his deathbed, racing horse magnate Josh Coleman has unfinished business--his long-lost daughter has come back to settle an old score. It's been 30 years since Nealy Coleman Diamond slipped away with her illegitimate daughter. In that time, Nealy has become a woman to be reckoned with. When the truth about her father and a family's troubled past are revealed, Nealy finds...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Zebra (first published September 1st 2001)

One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskeyBleeding Kansas by Sara ParetskyLife on the Mississippi by Mark TwainBayou Farewell by Mike TidwellThe Earl of Louisiana by A.J. Liebling
Name of State (USA): K-Mississippi
49th out of 168 books — 13 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
344th out of 719 books — 402 voters

More lists with this book...

Ernie
Read 100 pages had not empathy for the lead character, Nealy, so put the book down.
Catherine
I had a hard time getting into this book but once I got more into it I couldn't put it down. It is my first book by this author and the first book in the Kentucky series and I plan to read the others in the series as well.
Dee
This was a good vacation read. I didn't realize until the book ended that it was a trilogy. There were many unanswered quetions and situations, so I might have to read the 2nd and maybe 3rd book.
Casandra
Kentucky Rich is a wonderful story about this girl who has a two year old daughter, who loves her with all her heart. The girl is just 17 but she refuses to give up the child. When she is sick, the father says that he is going to take the baby to an orphanage. She decides that she is going to leave, her brothers help her and she drives as far as she can, then her truck dies. She gets out and walks and collapses, a nice man picks her up, takes her home and the man and his wife adopt her and her d...more
Rachelle
Not as good as the Texas series
Connie Brown
Wonderful enjoyable story
Alisha
Jan 31, 2014 Alisha added it
An engaging story about overcoming familial obstacles
L
Living so close to Kentucky horse country during early spring (Derby time) this was a perfect book to read. It made the attempt to be a grand family saga story, but it seems that too much history was trying to be stuffed into too short of a novel. I also thought that parts such as the penny from heaven was just a little too unbelievable. I can understand keeping the memory of dead characters alive in a book like this, but it would have been better if Maud and Jess were simply remembered not ghos...more
Joanie
Nealy and her daughter, Emmie, left her father's horse farm with help from Nealy's brother, after her father called his granddaughter names and whatever else to be found out later. They were found by Maud and Jess only to be loved and adopted by them. Upon their death Nealy and Emmie inherited everything and then she went to her father's deathbed to watch him die! Thie book was a very good read. There was much determination and hard work along the way.
Barbara
Loved the setting, the horses and most of the people. Seemed repetitive with old "myway or the highway" Nealy having fits of rage when she didn't get her way. Also a little too much hypocritcal lecturing by Nealy.

Kind of reminded me of "National Velvet".

If you like stories of weath, thin women with lots of clothes who are supposed to be the brains and beauty type, then this is for you
Denise Esh
After reading book two and finding out I started out of order, I went back and read this one, it was amazing finding out how it all started, and yet there was so much tragedy. Nealy is fascinating and has endured such tragedy, it is haunting. However her endurance rings true throughout. I can't wait to see how it all turns out in book three!
Lucy Bilik
An incredible book, I thought it would be more of a "gold digger" style and resisted to read for a while, however it turned out to be completely different. It dealt with different issues of loss, rejection, trust, and later love. Absolutely amazing book, I love the style of Fern Michaels wrinting. Would strongly recommend this book!
Patti Mcconnell
This is a look inside the history of the Kentucky Derby - but is told through a story of a young girl who gets pregnant at 15 and is kicked out of the house by her father. She never knew her mother. A great book and just when you think the story is getting predictable, something totally changes the direction of the story.
Tammy Foster
There was too much in this book and not well put together. Skipped around, left too many gaps and then added minute details that just didn't do it for me. I will not be reading the other 2 in this trilogy unless there's nothing else in the book bin. Fortunately there are a lot piled in the bin so no worries for awhile.
Sue
I had read her Vegas trilogy and quite enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to all three of the Kentucky books. Unfortunately, I was so disappointed in the first one, I'm not even going to read the other three. I just found it all too simplistic and and the events unbelievable.
Rich
Loved this series of three books. It was based in Kentucky and I lived there for 7 years so this made me want to read it. Very well written and I loved the characters. You loved some of the people and didn't like some of them...this was one of my favorite series.
Michelle
This book was really good and I was hooked. I kept wanting to read more and was disappointed when it ended, but I already have the next one ready to go. The only thing I didn't really like about the book was all of the talking to the dead and them responding.
Shawna
The last saga of the Coleman family...first was Vegas, then Texas and this is the Kentucky series. It is different than the others as it deals primarily with one main character, but does add in the family from both of the other series at different times.
Rachel
Easy to read, don't need to be a brain surgeon to understand it, slightly improbably story but reading is often about escapism and forgetting reality. It does have the feel of an author that churns out novels in a matter of weeks though...
Pam
Too many characters. I read the second book first and actually liked the characters better in this book. I don't like all the ghosts talking. Again I skimmed a lot. Decided to read this book after I found this was a series.
Nancy Brady
The first book in a trilogy about another branch of the Coleman family, this time Nealy Coleman and her brothers. Nealy leaves her family at seventeen and deathly ill, and finds a new life with Jess and Maud Diamond.
Autumn
it was okay, not great, I thought this book covered too much time. Big events like Nealy's wedding, birth of her child, her husband cheating on her were covered in one paragraph as she sits and thinks about her life.
Catherine
I read it a long time ago and I enjoyed it very much. I sent Fern Michaels an e-mail back then to tell her how much I liked it and she actually answered me!!! :) She is a really nice lady and a great author.
Donna Fries
I am a fan of Fern Michaels and enjoyed this book. This is the first of a trilogy, so I will
read the other two. Her characters are not predictable and the journey always has some twists.
Ratforce
Fern Michaels, with her sympathetic characters and romantic plots, is another author that fans of Danielle Steel tend to flock to. This is the first book in the Kentucky series.
Lindsay Barnes
Was hoping to like this and had the second and third books ready to read as well. I found it boring and somewhat all over the place so I won't bother with two and three sadly.
Mel
I liked it because it dealt with horses and Kentucky and I was longing for KY at the time. it was a quick read. The idiots in the story get their just rewards.
Joanne
good reading till the end, got a little complicated as if the suthor was hurrying to put in more storylines to get you hooked into the trilogy that was coming out.
Andrea
Don't bother. I'm seriously not sure why I kept reading it. The language was juvenile and the plot terrible. Plus it dealt a lot with horses--not my thing at all.
Lisa C
So far this book is not quite as good as the 1st one in the series but I will give it a chance and decide when I complete it what my final rating will be.
  • Green Calder Grass (Calder Saga #6)
  • Legends Lake (Irish Castlelough Trilogy, #3)
  • Legacy of Silence
  • Heart Of Texas Vol. 2: Caroline's Child\Dr. Texas (Heart of Texas #3-4)
  • Home Fires
  • With a Southern Touch: Adam/A Night in Paradise/Garden Cop
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels® is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I...more
More about Fern Michaels...
Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood, #1) Payback (Sisterhood, #2) Vendetta (Sisterhood, #3) The Jury (Sisterhood, #4) Sweet Revenge (Sisterhood #5)