Start by marking “Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori Book, #1)” as Want to Read:
Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori Book, #1)

Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  22,553 ratings  ·  1,340 reviews
A tour-de-force novel set in ancient Japan filled with passion, fantasy, and feuding warlords. The first volume in the highly anticipated "Tales of the Otori" trilogy.

Sixteen-year-old Takeo's village has been massacred by an evil warlord, and he is about to be slain by the men who murdered his parents and neighbors. At the last moment, his life is saved by a nobleman, who
Audio CD
Published July 18th 2002 by HighBridge Company (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Across the Nightingale Floor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across the Nightingale Floor

Nicholas Armstrong
Okay. I'll try to be as kind and heartfelt as possible. This book is insultingly bad. Normally a bad book is just that, but this book is actually infuriatingly bad.

Firstly, it's a fantasy book set in feudal Japan. That's fine. I would think that it being set in Japan, Hearn would have learned anything about the place, but she apparently did not. This book is written as if Hearn simply googled Japan and then decided to write a book on it. I'll go down the list of failings.

Religion Japan wasn't Ch
Mariel
Aug 27, 2011 Mariel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the u in honor
Recommended to Mariel by: chinatown
I was protesting the Chinese food place down the block today. It's ridiculous. None of their offered cuisine is truly Chinese. If I want to eat American I'll go to Pizza Hut, thank you very much. If that wasn't bad enough I later had lunch at the restaurant next door. They had these little cookies. If you break open the cookies there's a piece of paper that pops out with a message of something that might happen to you. This time I didn't eat the paper first and read what it said. "The Tales of t ...more
Chris
This is a weird book for anyone who has more than a passing knowledge of Japan.

The author is a great fan of Japan, its culture and its history. That's obvious just by looking at her name, Lian Hearn, which is a pseudonym. According to Wikipedia, it's a contraction of "heron," an important bird in the Tales of the Otori series, but it's also the surname of one of the most famous Western experts on Japan, Lafcadio Hearn. She's gone to great lengths to instill Japanese culture into every part of th
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
1 1/2

In my review for Graceling I stated that I was a bit of a sucker for romance elements in action type stories. I have, in the past, admitted to, probably, over-rating certain books because the romance element gave me the warm-squishies, even though other aspects of the book were lacking or, at times, downright annoying. (See 'Fire Study'.)

So it's a bit ironic that, for this book, I think the romance element between the two protagonists was the weakest aspect of the book. It was so eye-rollin
StoryTellerShannon
This is actually a fantasy novel, but, for marketing purposes it's being sold as fiction. Perhaps it's because the magical elements in this tale are very light and it focuses more on a Japan that never existed.

Focus is on two character viewpoints only: a teenage boy in first person and a teenage girl in third person. The mix works and it's one of the first times I've seen such a viewpoint mix, though, I'm sure this author isn't the first to do it.

The boy, Tomasau/Taeko, hops around with differ
Janina
Great epic/pseudo-historical fantasy with an amazing setting reminiscent of medieval Japan. This first installment of the Tales of thr Otori managed something epic fantasy rarely does for me: it captured me from the very first page.

When you take a look at the plotline, Across the Nightingale Floor has all the ingredients of an average epic fantasy: We have the orphaned hero, who is rescued by a noble stranger and discovers he has special abilities. We have the heroine, who is a pawn in her fath
Stephanie
Japanese author and Nobel Laureate Yasunari Kawabata is famous for his ‘palm of the hand’ stories, stories so small and taciturn that they could fit in the grasp of one’s curled fingers. These stories comprise mere moments: a meeting of gazes, a gesture, a brief downfall of rain, the arranging of flowers, the steeping of tea. They are like wells: despite having a small, hemmed in surface of finite dimensions, their depths are unknown, dark, requiring close examination, speculation on behalf of t ...more
Felicia
This book was great, I would love to see it made into a movie. It was like reading the plot of a great Kung Fu movie, with a touch of "Memoirs of a Geisha" and some magic thrown in. I will eagerly read the next book.
Martini
Interesting setting in a (fantastical) Japan. Enjoyable story and characters. I especially liked that Kaede, the female protagonist, was not simply a damsel in distress.
But I could have done without the instalove.
♥Xeni♥
It took me only about four hours to finish this book. I zoomed through it due to the gripping storyline and the vivid scenery and characters.

In a land that is similar to feudal Japan, warlords are battling for power. Takeo is caught in between, inadvertently, when his village is destroyed by the evil Lord Iida and he is taken under Lord Otori Shigeru's wing. Not so surprisingly, Takeo has not manifested powers that come to light while living with Shigeru. While training these powers, he realizes
Catherine
I'm really conflicted about what to grade this book. I enjoyed it, but it was really depressing. When I closed the book all I felt was the futility of these people trying to make their own decisions. Someone is always there to take away their choice in one way or another.

Takeo, who is the main character, was an interesting person to follow. He seems strong in the sense that he is able to adapt to any new situation and still retain the core of who he is. But, he also seems weak because he lets hi
Kat  Hooper
Across the Nightingale Floor has a beautiful, concise writing style, good characterization, fast pace, and interesting plot. It's main weakness is the ridiculousness of the love-at-first-sight. It makes the characters seem a bit shallow.

Warning about the audiobook: I listened to this book on CD. There are two readers — a man for the voice of Takeo, and a woman for the voice of Kaede. The man is an excellent reader with a lovely voice (he's got the oriental speech sounds just right). I think his
StoryTellerShannon

The boy, Tomasau/Taeko, hops around with differ
Paula
I call Twilight on this one.

Man, you can waste so many cool things just by adding magic into the story. It removes any sense of struggle, any effort on the part of the characters.

Also, destiny is a dark and sometimes tragic thing, losing control over your own life - not just a way to get everything from life without having to earn it!

The characters are flat, the language simplistic, the description basic and lackluster, the cultural coloring nothing beyond popculture crap, the plot contrived, t
Doreen
Very fast read, in part because it was so utterly gripping (I nearly missed my bus stop because of it, then accidentally whapped the guy sitting across the way from me with my cello case in my hurry to get out.) Everything is beautifully detailed, and for this Legend of the Five Rings fan, it was an excellent addition to the mystical samurai sub-genre. My only quibbles were with the shifting narrative, which is fine if you keep it all from the same kind of viewpoint (e.g. consistently third-pers ...more
Jonathan
Nov 26, 2011 Jonathan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, series fans, assassins of the Tribe
Shelves: fantasy, favourites
Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn had been sitting on my to read shelf for a little over a year. Having finally succumbed and read the book I was not let down by the superb storytelling on offer. The world is familiar and yet at the same time distant, the characters are beautifully rendered with palpable emotion and the tale is intriguing. In fact many of my favorite elements in any story were present. In many ways this truly imaginative piece, set in a forged world serves to underline ...more
Margaret
When I finished Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori series (of which this is the first), I felt as though I'd been eating Hershey's chocolate when I expected Valrhona (or at least Lindt).

These much-heralded books are set in a fantasy version of medieval Japan, and on the face of it, the story is promising: Takeo is the lone survivor of the massacre of his village by an evil overlord. He is rescued by the mysterious Lord Otori Shigeru, who adopts Takeo and brings him into his plans to overthrow the
Jay Kristoff

A great read with some beautiful prose. The setting was utterly Japanese without actually being set in Japan (it's an imaginary Japanese-inspired country, with constructs from the Edo/Tokugawa period) and the author pulled it off marvelously.

My only real beef (and it's a tiny one) was near the ending of the novel. Since our protag and narrator is (view spoiler)
Anggia Retno
A beautiful story...
Dimana takeo bertemu dengan lord otori (shigeru), diangkat anak dan bagaimana takeo yang ternyata merupakan keturunan kikuta memiliki kemampuan untuk membalaskan dendam lord otori shigeru dengan membunuh lord iida... Ceritanya bagus menarik banget, dulu sampai ga sabar nunggu buku keduanya,, takeo jadi kayak kebagi antara dia seorang bangsawan pewaris shigeru dan seorang kikuta. Dan takeo jatuh cinta sama kaede gadis bangsawan yang cantik banget yang dijodohin sama lord shige
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Mar 27, 2009 Allison (The Allure of Books) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Allison (The Allure of Books) by: Fiona
Right from the beginning, this book will grab you. The characters and setting are so exotic and enticing...you will first want to be there, and then, as you read, start to feel that you are.

I was so caught up in the fantastic descriptions and places that I wasn't even thinking as much about the plot! There were a couple of twists and turns that left me gasping in disbelief.

A magnificent story in every aspect, can't wait to read the rest!
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
This wasn't bad at all. I think I want to read book 2. I had a few issues with it but I think it had to do with my own ethnocentric views about the culture. I totally get the entire loyalty thing, the submissive nature between servant (which is everyone but the lords) and the Lords, and the whole clan/tribe thing but I still felt weird about it. I needed more resolution in the end, I don't know. Still thinking about this...excuse the rant.
Reina
Jun 09, 2011 Reina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: peeps interested in Japan, or traditional cultural myths of Japan, fuedal Japan
Bloody awesome 1st book of the series.
I was feeling restless at work (library), having caught up on all my usual authors, I wanted to try something new and fresh, so hopped over to the sci-fi/fantasy section and came across this on the shelves by chance.

After seeing that it was another foreigner take on feudal/traditional Japan, I was weary but with an element of actual fantasy (and ninjas, how can we say no to ninjas) I took the entire series out and safe to say, this definitely did not disapp
Krystle
When I first heard about this series I just had to read it. After all with my studies and deep interest in Japanese culture, language, and what have you, how could I not? It didn't help that it has an absolutely GORGEOUS cover, and AWESOME title. In fact, everything about this book is aesthetically pleasing. Even the layout of the book is wonderful. Oh, I forgot to mention, Across the Nightingale Floor is the first book in the Tales of the Otori trilogy.

When I started reading it, I thought pah,
Scott Gillespie
Given the number reviewers who hated this book, I will begin with a caveat. I listened in audio format which was very enjoyable but I can see where some of the tedious elements (if reading) would be hard to take. However the audible version is performed in Takeo's voice as well as Kaide.

For those who refuse to see any of the wonders of Japan and Japanese culture in the book I can only encourage you to "get over yourself". I have met many who people who, having spent some time in Japan explode a
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Assassins are cool. Super powers, who wouldn't want some? That this is set outside the US and the UK, a huge plus. So what went wrong?

Early on I assumedAcross the Nightingale Floor had been translated due to inconsistent, simple and superficial language. And I wasn't alone in my thinking. However, a quick search revealed the author to have been born and raised a few miles from where I live in England.

Very little emotion is shown by Takeo, our hero, despite what should've been some harrowing sce
Serena!
Hai problemi di insonnia?
Avere le tue otto ore di sonno è un problema?
Contare le pecorelle non ti basta più?!

DI' BASTA A QUESTA INCRESCIOSA SITUAZIONE!
RISOLVI I TUOI PROBLEMI UNA VOLTA PER TUTTE! LEGGI "La leggenda di Otori"!

Attenzione, un'eccessiva consumazione potrebbe portare a danni anche gravi. Leggere attentamente la sinossi in fondo al volume e recensioni su Goodreads

Il SONNO supremo, giuro -_-
Che poi diamine: Giappone, periodo feudale, guerrieri.. Uno si aspetta il fascino a go-go!!
Invec
Andrew Obrigewitsch
This is a Fantasy story based in feudal Japan. It is the best fantasy book I've read that has taken place in an Asian fantasy world. The story felt refreshingly different from the fantasy books I've been reading over the last few months. The dialogue was realistic, with little witty banter (I'm starting to get tired of every fantasy book having the main characters engage in witty banter, as with anything good, one can have too much of it).

The story focuses heavily on honor and other Japanese id
Mike (the Paladin)
This book was okay. It probably had a little too much of the "doomed romance" flavor for me. It's been done, a lot. I think this will appeal more to romance lovers and anyone who loves anything samurai. I read the trilogy.

I decided to follow up with the next two books but found they appealed to me even less. (Their reviews are here). I had hoped I'd like these or that by following the series I'd get caught up in it. No such luck.
Wendy
The infamous Nightingale Floor is a skilfully designed trap that signs the presence of any who walk across. The perfect piece of home improvement for the man who fears assassination. In this case, the home owner in question is Iida, a wicked ruler in Hearn’s feudal Japan-esque fantasy tale.

Iida has many enemies, not the least of which is the much loved Lord Otori, who, at the beginning of the book, finds a young boy, the only survivor of the brutal massacre of his village. Furthermore, the boy,
Amar
One word comes to mind when describing this book: meh.

It's a story we've all heard variations of before, except that it's been handled much better in other iterations. The novel reads like it was written for middle-school students (maybe it was?) and feels so elementary in its execution that I'm surprised that critics from sources as credible as The NYT Book Review, The Times (London), Kirkus Reviews, Booklist, etc. have showered it with such hyperbolic praise.

The story, as I said above, begins
  • Jembatan Musim Gugur (Samurai, #2)
  • Fudoki
  • The Dragon King's Palace (Sano Ichiro, #8)
  • Under Heaven
  • The Pure Land
  • The Stone Light (Dark Reflections, #2)
  • Taiko: An Epic Novel of War and Glory in Feudal Japan
  • Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness (Moribito, #2)
  • L'assassin du roi (L'assassin royal, #2)
  • The Bone Doll's Twin (The Tamír Triad, #1)
  • The Secrets of Jin-shei (Jin-Shei, #1)
  • The Standing Dead
  • The 47 Ronin Story
  • City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3)
  • Coram Boy
  • The Last Concubine

Tales of the Otori (4 books)
  • Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2)
  • Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3)
  • The Harsh Cry of the Heron (Tales of the Otori, #4)
Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2) Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3) The Harsh Cry of the Heron (Tales of the Otori, #4) Heaven's Net is Wide (Tales of the Otori, #0) The Tales of the Otori Trilogy

“The less people think of you, the more they will reveal to you or in your presence.” 49 likes
“I believe the test of government is the contentment of the people.” 26 likes