Start by marking “Freedom Business” as Want to Read:
Freedom Business

Freedom Business

The true narrative of a slave from Africa, crafted in verse by Marilyn Nelson. Born an African prince, Broteer Furro was captured by slave traders at age six. As he stepped onto a cargo ship, the vessel's steward purchased the boy and gave him a new name: Venture. He landed in Rhode Island and worked through a lifetime of slavery to buy not only his own freedom but the ...more
Published 2008 by Wordsong (first published June 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Freedom Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freedom Business

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I think Marilyn Nelson has herself another Coretta Scott King winner here, though I admit I found the narrative part taken from Venture Smith's autobiography to be more interesting than her poetry. Nevertheless, she turns a nice phrase here and there--the poem "Meg" is absolutely beautiful, "Farm Garden" bursts with pride, "A Voyage by Sea" oozes despair. I must read more about this interesting man. This should win a Printz Award too next year!
Tara
Jun 13, 2009 Tara rated it it was ok
This was recommended at a YA literature workshop I went to as a great non-fiction selection. First I should preface this review with the fact that I'm not a big fan of non-fiction, and if I wasn't trying to bulk up my arsenal of recommendations for when I (hopefully) start teaching, I would not have picked up this book. So my review is likely at least somewhat tainted with my general ambivalence towards non-fiction.

With that said, I think this is really historical fiction. The slave narrative is
Anne Broyles
Mar 02, 2009 Anne Broyles rated it really liked it
I so admire Wordsong history/poem books, which are beautifully rendered, emotionally-compelling ways to delve into real-life events. Marilyn Nelson is such a fine poet. Some of my favorite lines from Venture's story:

Yes, everything I own is dearly bought,
but gratitude is a never-emptying cup,
my life equal measures pain and windfall.
Gloria
Feb 11, 2016 Gloria rated it liked it
Shelves: history, poetry, slavery
This is amazing stuff. It's not always easy for me to read poetry, but I truly appreciated this. The left hand page is the memoirs of a slave and the right hand page is poetry by Nelson that interprets the memoir.
Paul

From slavery.

by Paul Hsu 2-16-16
Wendy
Jun 26, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
What a thrill to see Marilyn Nelson give a riveting reading at Split This Rock Poetry Festival in DC in March 2012. This book is gorgeous, heart-breaking, masterful.
Karen Chandler
Karen Chandler rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2010
Erica Anne
Erica Anne rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2010
Janel C.
Janel C. rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Turnale
Turnale rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Cati
Cati rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2012
Clay
Nov 13, 2008 Clay rated it really liked it
Powerful.
Bryan Mitchell
Bryan Mitchell rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2010
Josh
Josh rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2013
Rebekah Palmer
Rebekah Palmer rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2008
Amy
Amy added it
May 26, 2009
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2012
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2009
Evelyn
Evelyn added it
Mar 17, 2011
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2011
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2012
Melissa Mccloud
Melissa Mccloud marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Shana
Shana added it
Jul 23, 2013
Yoyo
Yoyo marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Marilyn Nelson is the author of many acclaimed books for young people and adults, including CARVER: A LIFE IN POEMS, a Newbery Honor Book and Coretta Scott King Honor Book, and A WREATH FOR EMMETT TILL, a Printz Honor Book and Coretta Scott King Honor Book. She also translated THE LADDER, a picture book by Halfdan Rasmussen. She lives in East Haddam, Connecticut.

For more information, please see ht
More about Marilyn Nelson...