Start by marking “Nordic Gods and Heroes” as Want to Read:
Nordic Gods and Heroes

Nordic Gods and Heroes

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  2,541 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
The age-old legends and tales of Nordic mythology are a common heritage of German, Scandinavian, and Anglo-Saxon peoples. This very readable collection features a rich selection of these time-honored stories, retold in simple dramatic fashion by noted Irish author Padraic Colum.
Readers will find themselves drawn into the timeless world of the gods and goddesses who dwell i
Published January 18th 1996 by Dover Publications (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Nordic Gods and Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nordic Gods and Heroes

Miriam
Dec 07, 2013 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
Neither my favorite version of Norse Mythology nor my favorite of Colum's books, but a decent introduction to the major tropes and stories of the mythos for readers with slight familiarity with the topic (for absolute beginners the groundwork may be inadequate). Some stories were told oddly out of chronological order so that a character might be mentioned in one chapter but then born in a later chapter, or an adventure begun and then the telling interrupted and finished later. This may be due to ...more
aljouharah altheeyb
Aug 21, 2015 aljouharah altheeyb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
الكتاب جداً ممتع، ومدخل مسلي لأساطير شعب الفايكنق والساكسون.
لوكي، ثور، فالهالا العظيمة: حرب نهاية العالم.
كلها تأتي بشكل متسلسل وممتع للقارئ العادي: أظنها قصدت للناشئة. لكن هذا مايمنع المتعة والفائدة "المرتبه" لمعرفة الآلهة وتراتيبها والأساطير المرتبطة بها.
وبالتالي خريطة مبدئية ومدخل ممتاز ومرتب للواحد حتى يتعمق بأساطير الساكسون ~~
هذا موقع عربي يشرح بعض الآلهة : )
Jeannette
Jul 28, 2010 Jeannette rated it liked it
Ed Ingman
Jul 24, 2012 Ed Ingman rated it really liked it
While on vacation in Wisconsin, we happened upon a horse farm that specialized in Scandinavian horses. On a whim, we stopped in and learned all about the Gotland, Icelandic, Arland, and other varieties of Scandinavian horses. We also met Icelandic goats, chickens, and ducks. At any rate, the sign of this place, called Norse Horse Park on Washington Island in Wisconsin, featured a picture of Odin riding Sleipnir, his horse. This reminded me of the Norse mythological poems that we read in German c ...more
Diamond Cowboy
Jan 03, 2016 Diamond Cowboy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read. Being a Skandanavian I was especially interested in reading this book. This is nortic mythology at it's best. I recommend you all read it and enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Larissa
This book, comprised of Irish author Padraic Colum's retellings of classic Norse myths, was on the shelf in our apartment when we moved in. Having only encountered Norse mythology in the wonderful illustrated D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths, I thought it would be a good idea for me to reacquaint myself with these stories, which are referenced not infrequently in Scandinavian and Icelandic literature.

Colum's book is, as the cover claims, "very readable," although I found the choice to use a quas
Robert Jones
The Children of Odin: The Book of Northern Myths is exactly what the title says it is; a collection of several stories from Norse mythology. And, really, it's not that bad. I bought it at a train station because I needed something short and interesting to read. It fit those criteria, but little else.

This book is in serious need of a character list, or a family tree, or something. I'd really liked to have seen ten or twenty pages dedicated to certain characters, either in the front of back. Maybe
Cwn_annwn_13
Dec 13, 2008 Cwn_annwn_13 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simplified watered down versions of stories from the Eddas. This book seems to be aimed at a late elementary or jr. high school age reader. For that target audience this is a great introduction and would probably be the best thing you could buy if you were trying to picque a young persons interest in the Norse "Myths". If your an adult there are several other books on this subject that I would recomend over this one though.
Elisabeth Bridges
Jun 03, 2017 Elisabeth Bridges rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest, I only read this because I'm a Loki fan. But it was immensely entertaining, and beautifully written.

And yes, there was plenty of Loki in it, so if you're like me, it's a good book to read. ;)
Magdalena
Why I liked it:
-It's a clear narration of the Norse myths. I love anything norse, so this book was meant to be a favorite of mine.
-It is neatly arranged into small chapters that focus on a certain event or a certain god/hero.
-Gorgeous illustrations and chapter headings.
-The language is easy to follow and has an old fairytale tone to it. Also, it's told in a linear way, except for the very first chapter, which starts from Ragnarök.
-Even if you forget what a certain word is, the writer reminds y
Kevin
Surprisingly entertaining. I didn't have high expectations, since the last book of myths/religious stories were so horrendous. The stories were actually remotely logical and even supported each other as small pieces to a larger, continuous story. Not sure if this latter aspect is actually a good or bad thing. I was hoping for little, standalone stories. But it was very interesting to find out some of the background and personality quirks on the famous Norse gods. I especially liked the ending, a ...more
Jared
Jan 21, 2008 Jared rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
This book provides a rather coherent set of Norse myths. The author ties the myths together so that they flow a lot better than your average compilation of random stories (which is my general impression of most mythology books).

The stories appear to have been selected to minimize contradiction. (As with any mythology, in Norse mythology there are many authors, resulting in inevitable confusion as they disagree over insignificant details like the names of the main characters.) They are also (well
Sara
Feb 07, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pubblicato nel 1920 a opera di un illustre drammaturgo irlandese appassionato di folklore, è il testo più completo che ho letto finora sull’argomento. Dopo una carrellata iniziale sui principali abitanti di Asgard — con splendidi capitoli dedicati a Idunn, Sif, Loki, Freya, Frey, Hnossa e Heimdallr — si passa a una sezione sul dio “viandante”, una delle tante accezioni che connotano la figura di Odino, padre di tutti gli dèi. La terza parte è invece interamente dedicata a Loki, il signore dei tr ...more
Steven
Nov 14, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, research
I talked our school district into ordering this book for my Mythology class. I certainly haven't regretted it. We spend the second quarter of the semester class studying Norse mythology. This book is very accessible, even to the students who are dumped into the elective class just because there's nowhere else to put them. The myths are told in short story format, using simple but poetic language. Sure, the names throw the kids, but otherwise my high schoolers have no trouble with it.

They definit
Matthew Colvin
Jan 29, 2013 Matthew Colvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful. Colum is a fine storyteller, using diction that provides just the right archaic, “northern” flavor. The myths included are fairly comprehensive and detailed. Highly recommended for homeschoolers; provides the best possible subject matter for progymnasmata writing exercises. The line drawings are beautiful.

I wrote this review based on the ebook version (epub with illustrations) available free at project Gutenberg.
Geoff Sebesta
Read this book to your children. Or find somebody reading it out loud on youtube and leave it on while you work. It's good for your kids. It'll teach 'em about dwarves.

Technology has given us the ability to have the experience of an old guy sitting by the campfire telling crazy stories all day without any of the negatives. Yay technology!
Kaz
Jul 22, 2011 Kaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great translation and coherent compilation of Norse myths for the average person or child. The myths weave seamlessly from one chapter to the next and present a wonderful overall picture of the Norse pantheon. I wouldn't be surprised if Tolkien read this to his children.
Brolie
Dec 21, 2016 Brolie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1900s, classics, 2016
Plot holes! Uhg. But I love ^_^

"So then Loki was all like 'hey thor dur ber duuuurr' and then thor was all 'nuh uh!' and thor got bitch slapped."

i may be atheist... wait yeah.. that's why im athiest.
Matt
Nov 21, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't have a lot of experience reading mythological books like this, but I really enjoyed the way Colum wrote these. They've got a regal sort of "spaketh" tone to them, but the story isn't hard to follow. An excellent introduction to Norse Mythology.
Portia
Nov 14, 2013 Portia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Colum wrote this version for all ages, so some imagination is required when reading the tales to appreciate the full effect. Still, it's quick and informative. I'll definitely refer to it in the future.
Nicole Blicht
Reading Log #7- Myth

Title The Children of Odin: The Book of Northern Myths
Author: Padraic Colum
Illustrator William Pogany
Genre: Fantassy, fiction
Theme(s): Power, Gods and Goddeses
Opening line/sentence Once there was another Sun and another Moon; a different Sun and a different Moon from the ones we see now.
Brief Book Summary This mystical story begins explaining that gods and goddesses lived in the city of Asgard before humans were on Earth. These collections of myths show how powerful magic
Esmée
Nov 05, 2016 Esmée rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After listening a lot to metal bands (like Skálmöld) that heavily reference Norse mythology, I started getting interested in the topic and decided to buy this book. I wasn't disappointed.

The Children of Odin is perfect for people who want to know more about Norse Mythology without delving into dry material. Though this book is a collection of many different myths, it is told as one big story, which made it very easy for me to follow. Since the first day I started reading, I couldn't put it away.
Sharon
Jun 13, 2017 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very enjoyable, easy to read collection of Norse mythology written for children in 1920. Padraic Colum does a wonderful job of connecting these stories in an ongoing narrative with clear, concise prose that is neither too simple nor too complex. Willy Pogany's illustrations provide a classical accompaniment as well. Highly recommended for kids and for those who want a basic introduction to the Norse sagas.
Kirsty
Dec 21, 2016 Kirsty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books-read
I really enjoyed this book. It combines two of my favourite things - fairy tales and Nordic mythology, so I breezed through it. I even got the audio book to listen to in bed. Its a really nice and easy to follow adaption of Nordic tales for beginners, or anyone with an interest in Scandinavian myths and folklore.
Caleb Aarsand
Jan 09, 2017 Caleb Aarsand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic retelling of Germanic and Nordic mythology. I highly recommend this for those who want to know more of the mythology but don't require a scholarly view.
Tim
Jan 28, 2017 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read to reacquaint myself with the Norse myths.
Mark
Published In: New York
Date: 1920 / 1948
Pgs: 163

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
A retelling of the Norse Myths. The building of Asgard. Iduna. Loki. Sif. Freya. Frey. Gerda. Giants. Heimdall. Odin. Thor. Baldur. Sigmund. Valkyries. And the Twilight of the Gods. The stories that Vikings shared around lodge fires. Stories that lit their wanderlust and kept them warm and reac
logankstewart
I grew up a fan of Greek mythology, amazed by the esoteric worldviews of long ago. This love crossed over into a few other cultures—Egyptian and Roman mostly—but nothing compared to Greek. As I grew up I began looking to related things: fairy tales, urban legends, and folklore. I loved the language and mood these stories had, and to this day I still enjoy reading these kinds of things. When a friend suggested I read the free Kindle book The Children of Odin I dismissed it, chiefly because it was ...more
Devon
Nov 25, 2013 Devon rated it really liked it
Not my favourite retelling of Norse myths, but a competent one nonetheless. This was another book I preview-read for the purpose of gift-giving, and, while I found it in many places problematic, I don't think it is a terrible book.

The conceit of the story is that these are the tales - the history - left to the children of the gods after Ragnarok. Using that as a vehicle to bring the reader from the creation of the world to the Doom of the Gods works pretty well, though it gives the gods (and th
Andréia
Review in portuguese by blog MON PETIT POISON

Quando pedi esse livro para leitura, o fiz por dois motivos:
1 – Conheço pouco da mitologia nórdica e queria aprender/conhecer mais;
2 – Queria conhecer outros autores que misturassem aventuras com mitologia.

Afinal, hoje em dia a grande referência é o Rick Riordan com seu mundo dos deuses gregos e uma pequena série falando dos deuses egípcios, mas acredito que por mais que as aventuras sejam um pouco semelhantes, essa mistura entre História e aventura d
What is your favorite beast or god in the story? 2 8 Feb 06, 2013 01:14PM
  • Popular Tales from the Norse
  • From Asgard to Valhalla: The Remarkable History of the Norse Myths
  • Asgard Stories: Tales from Norse Mythology
  • The Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome
  • Norse Mythology: The Myths & Legends of the Nordic Gods (Mythology Library)
  • Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends
  • Celtic Myths and Legends
  • Parallel Myths
  • Japanese Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
Padraic Colum was an Irish poet, novelist, dramatist, biographer and collector of folklore. He was one of the leading figures of the Celtic Revival. (Source)
More about Padraic Colum...

“He was Loki, a being who only half belonged to the Gods; his father was the Wind Giant.” 1 likes
“swimming” 0 likes