Start by marking “James Thurber: 92 Stories” as Want to Read:
James Thurber: 92 Stories

James Thurber: 92 Stories

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Includes all the stories from The Owl in the Attic and Other Perplexities and 90 more stories. This volume is full of Thurber's whimsical drawings.
Published July 24th 1990 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about James Thurber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Thurber

Kathryn
This book was my bedtime reading for several months; it contains stories from several of James Thurber’s short story collections, but oddly does not contain “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”. Even so, Thurber makes wonderful reading, at bedtime or any other time.

I do not know who coined the term “the war between the sexes”, but Thurber’s characters not only believe that there is such a war, but that women are winning. Thurber’s men are diffident, argumentative, and submissive to their women; Thu
Realini
More Alarms at Night by James Thurber

James Thurber is one of the funniest writers I know. In the first instance I had the luck to read The Night the Ned Fell and was exhilarated by the humor of the story.

More Alarms at Night is also outrageously funny, but I had some strange emotions reading it, and a kind of nostalgia. In the story, the children wake their father up in the middle of night. One with a crazy story and the other just to talk with him at three in the morning.
I laughed my face off a
Jeffrey Daniels
I first read this book back in my single digits and then again many decades later. Over that span, I discovered why I enjoyed it so much back then and today: the most relatable and broadest humor derives from your own family.

Thurber's adventures through the series of stories, ranging from the familiar to the absurd, makes you do a little bit of thinking, a lot of smiling and a smattering of "I know that one personally".

All of Thurber's stories make for quick, light reading but the memories of th
Jim
As my first encounter with Thurber and his stream-of-consciousness writing, I found many of his tales completely bewildering or simply hysterical. He usually latches onto a small subsection of a larger picture and then dissects it to hell and back until he no longer feels like writing about it (which he states to end several of his stories). At times I did find jokes going far over my head and references to characters from the 1940's and 50's were lost, but the general idea was at least easy to ...more
Jess
I borrowed this from my mother-in-law and I don't think she's getting it back. Thurber is very much a product of his times (his attitude towards women, for instance, is very 1930s, and also somehow bound up in his attitude towards cars) but most of the jokes are just as funny today -- even, somehow, the ones about contemporary literary theory or self-help books. Maybe the context hasn't changed as much as we think it has over the last 70 years.

This book covers a lot of ground, both fiction and p
Daniel Currie
I picked this up at a yard sale on the basis of having read one of the stories in high school. "The Greatest Man in the World" was then, and is now, a great short story.

I started this book, which is mostly short stories and essays written and published in shorter volumes, and zipped thru the first 300 pages. After that however... I really got bogged down in the idiosyncratic style. I was never too excited to pick it up again. It might have helped if they hadn't predominantly been written in the
Katherine
My husband reads aloud, beautifully, and this collection of Thurber short stories is our current shared reading. Soothing, mildly amusing, they are stories full of moments of recognition of circumstances and incidents similar to our own lives in a rural region within driving distance of New York City. If you're drowsy they're unlikely to jar you awake in laughter or startle you with their brilliance of craft or observation, they are just very pleasant reading. And the illustrations add greatly t ...more
Adam
Thurber is one of the most consistently enjoyable writers I've ever come across, and this collection was well worth the time. From the "battle of the sexes" chronicles to the explorations of husbandly daydreaming, from the hilarious "Pet department" Q&A piece to the still-relevant "Let Your Mind Alone!" lampooning of self-help authors, I just loved this book.

And the drawing of the horse peeking from behind the curtains makes me laugh out loud every time I see it.
Rachel
If I had three wishes, I think I would spend one on meeting James Thurber. I just love everything he does. I OD'd a little on this one near the end, trying to finish it quickly, but if you read it in moderation, his little pieces are nearly perfect. The story "One is a Wanderer" shocked me in a good way, dark and sad amid so many laughs.
X-ray Iris
Thurber makes me laugh out loud. There are some dated references but damn, just funny stuff overall, and with less of the bitter aftertaste of Dorothy Parker. My copy of this book has an amusing introduction by E. B. White. Yep, those fellers just make me laugh.
Becky
I originally heard of John Thurber from reading "The New Yorker." I was thrilled to be snooping around my parents bookshelves only to find this collection of short stories!! I have really been enjoying them!!
Kit
Most of the stories I read were amusing, and I wish I could have finished them all, but I had to return it to its owner before leaving California.
Amy
Mar 27, 2008 Amy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This auther was recommended in the "comedy" genre in the book Honey for a Woman's Heart.
Kate
Great little short stories from a time gone by.
Carrie
Funny and interesting. Fun to read aloud.
Ebookwormy
"The Catbird Seat" is Carp-500
Clark S
A wry wit if ever...
Julio Landim
Julio Landim marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Christopher Langer
Christopher Langer marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Don
Don marked it as to-read
jaegrr
jaegrr marked it as to-read
Doug Westberg
Doug Westberg marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Prabhakar Murthy
Prabhakar Murthy marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Jazzoffski
Jazzoffski marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Balasubramaniam Meganathan
Balasubramaniam Meganathan is currently reading it
Oct 04, 2014
Polly James
Polly James marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
  • Don Camillo And The Devil
  • Haircut and Other Stories
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks)
  • The Ferrari in the Bedroom
  • The Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks
  • Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?
  • Life with Father
  • Believe: The Words and Inspiration of Desmond Tutu
  • The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Healing the Social Brain
  • Death
  • The Best of Bombeck
Thurber was born in Columbus, Ohio to Charles L. Thurber and Mary Agnes (Mame) Fisher Thurber. Both of his parents greatly influenced his work. His father, a sporadically employed clerk and minor politician who dreamed of being a lawyer or an actor, is said to have been the inspiration for the small, timid protagonist typical of many of his stories. Thurber described his mother as a "born comedien ...more
More about James Thurber...
Many Moons The Secret Life of Walter Mitty The 13 Clocks The Thurber Carnival My Life and Hard Times