Start by marking “James Thurber: 92 Stories” as Want to Read:
James Thurber: 92 Stories

James Thurber: 92 Stories

Includes all the stories from The Owl in the Attic and Other Perplexities and 90 more stories. This volume is full of Thurber's whimsical drawings.
Published July 24th 1990 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about James Thurber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Thurber

Morgan
Jan 27, 2017 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, reread
Some of these stories I like and others I felt like were a little dated. I actually have read some of these a long time ago or my dad read some of these to me before. I liked the stories about writing and animals the best. He has some stories about marriage that I didn't really care for. This book is also a quick read. There are a lot of illustrations drawn by Thurber himself. If you need a good laugh or in need of something light Thurber is a good choice.
Kathryn
May 03, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This book was my bedtime reading for several months; it contains stories from several of James Thurber’s short story collections, but oddly does not contain “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”. Even so, Thurber makes wonderful reading, at bedtime or any other time.

I do not know who coined the term “the war between the sexes”, but Thurber’s characters not only believe that there is such a war, but that women are winning. Thurber’s men are diffident, argumentative, and submissive to their women; Thu
X-ray Iris
Thurber makes me laugh out loud. There are some dated references but damn, just funny stuff overall, and with less of the bitter aftertaste of Dorothy Parker. My copy of this book has an amusing introduction by E. B. White. Yep, those fellers just make me laugh.
Realini
Jun 12, 2014 Realini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More Alarms at Night by James Thurber

James Thurber is one of the funniest writers I know. In the first instance I had the luck to read The Night the Ned Fell and was exhilarated by the humor of the story.

More Alarms at Night is also outrageously funny, but I had some strange emotions reading it, and a kind of nostalgia. In the story, the children wake their father up in the middle of night. One with a crazy story and the other just to talk with him at three in the morning.
I laughed my face off a
Ryan Williams
EB White took the slight and seemingly whimsical and made gold. Thurber took the same material and made iron sulphide.
Tessa in Mid-Michigan
If you don’t know anything about James Thurber except that his name is familiar, you might want to start your acquaintance by watching the 2013 remake of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, directed by and starring Ben Stiller. This classic Thurber short story was also dramatized on film in 1947 with Danny Kaye, but Thurber hated it. No one knows if he hated the 2013 version.

However, if the wry humor of these movies appeals to you, or if you enjoy the so-called War between the Sexes, then you want
Jeffrey Daniels
May 06, 2013 Jeffrey Daniels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book back in my single digits and then again many decades later. Over that span, I discovered why I enjoyed it so much back then and today: the most relatable and broadest humor derives from your own family.

Thurber's adventures through the series of stories, ranging from the familiar to the absurd, makes you do a little bit of thinking, a lot of smiling and a smattering of "I know that one personally".

All of Thurber's stories make for quick, light reading but the memories of th
Kitty
Dec 10, 2009 Kitty rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, short-stories
As my first encounter with Thurber and his stream-of-consciousness writing, I found many of his tales completely bewildering or simply hysterical. He usually latches onto a small subsection of a larger picture and then dissects it to hell and back until he no longer feels like writing about it (which he states to end several of his stories). At times I did find jokes going far over my head and references to characters from the 1940's and 50's were lost, but the general idea was at least easy to ...more
Jess
Jan 06, 2009 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I borrowed this from my mother-in-law and I don't think she's getting it back. Thurber is very much a product of his times (his attitude towards women, for instance, is very 1930s, and also somehow bound up in his attitude towards cars) but most of the jokes are just as funny today -- even, somehow, the ones about contemporary literary theory or self-help books. Maybe the context hasn't changed as much as we think it has over the last 70 years.

This book covers a lot of ground, both fiction and p
Daniel Currie
I picked this up at a yard sale on the basis of having read one of the stories in high school. "The Greatest Man in the World" was then, and is now, a great short story.

I started this book, which is mostly short stories and essays written and published in shorter volumes, and zipped thru the first 300 pages. After that however... I really got bogged down in the idiosyncratic style. I was never too excited to pick it up again. It might have helped if they hadn't predominantly been written in the
Katherine
Oct 24, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband reads aloud, beautifully, and this collection of Thurber short stories is our current shared reading. Soothing, mildly amusing, they are stories full of moments of recognition of circumstances and incidents similar to our own lives in a rural region within driving distance of New York City. If you're drowsy they're unlikely to jar you awake in laughter or startle you with their brilliance of craft or observation, they are just very pleasant reading. And the illustrations add greatly t ...more
Adam
Aug 13, 2012 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, short-stories
Thurber is one of the most consistently enjoyable writers I've ever come across, and this collection was well worth the time. From the "battle of the sexes" chronicles to the explorations of husbandly daydreaming, from the hilarious "Pet department" Q&A piece to the still-relevant "Let Your Mind Alone!" lampooning of self-help authors, I just loved this book.

And the drawing of the horse peeking from behind the curtains makes me laugh out loud every time I see it.
Rachel
Sep 05, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
If I had three wishes, I think I would spend one on meeting James Thurber. I just love everything he does. I OD'd a little on this one near the end, trying to finish it quickly, but if you read it in moderation, his little pieces are nearly perfect. The story "One is a Wanderer" shocked me in a good way, dark and sad amid so many laughs.
Becky
I originally heard of John Thurber from reading "The New Yorker." I was thrilled to be snooping around my parents bookshelves only to find this collection of short stories!! I have really been enjoying them!!
Kit
Feb 21, 2011 Kit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the stories I read were amusing, and I wish I could have finished them all, but I had to return it to its owner before leaving California.
Amy
Mar 27, 2008 Amy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This auther was recommended in the "comedy" genre in the book Honey for a Woman's Heart.
Ebookwormy1
"The Catbird Seat" is Carp-500
Kate
Feb 15, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little short stories from a time gone by.
Carrie
Jan 29, 2008 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and interesting. Fun to read aloud.
Christine Gallagher
Christine Gallagher rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2011
Jakegoff
Jakegoff rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Borja
Borja rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
TJC
TJC rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2013
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
May 20, 2007
Fred
Fred rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Chesshistorian
Chesshistorian rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2008
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2011
James Nickerson
James Nickerson rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2008
  • Haircut and Other Stories
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker
  • The Ferrari in the Bedroom
  • Westward Ha!
  • Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?
  • Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans: The Best of McSweeney's Humor Category
  • The Art of Voice Acting: The Craft and Business of Performing for Voice-Over
  • The Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks
  • Bertrand Russell: The Spirit of Solitude 1872-1921
  • Dinosaur Comics, fig. d: Dudes already know about chickens.
  • Road Kill (Dan Shamble, Zombie PI, #2.5)
  • The Green Letters
  • Equal Love
  • Mac Liam (Emerald Isle Trilogy, Book 2)
  • Redtooth
Thurber was born in Columbus, Ohio to Charles L. Thurber and Mary Agnes (Mame) Fisher Thurber. Both of his parents greatly influenced his work. His father, a sporadically employed clerk and minor politician who dreamed of being a lawyer or an actor, is said to have been the inspiration for the small, timid protagonist typical of many of his stories. Thurber described his mother as a "born comedien ...more
More about James Thurber...