Start by marking “Thurber's Dogs: A Collection of the Master's Dogs, Written and Drawn, Real and Imaginary, Legends All” as Want to Read:

A collection of the master's dogs, written and drawn, real and imaginary, living and long ago
Published December 1st 1992 by Fireside (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Thurber's Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thurber's Dogs

Karen Michele
Dec 15, 2013 Karen Michele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-5-star-books
Thurber's Dogs is an enjoyable collection of stories, essays and cartoons that made me smile and laugh out loud and occasionally get a bit emotional, too! I have a big brute of a dog that doesn't always behave the way he should and can be chased off by our cats even though he has about 100 pounds on them and so the less than perfect dogs in this collection brought me a lot of joy. I was also interested in the ending essay about the bloodhound breed and how dogs working with the police force ...more
Chrissie
Aug 10, 2010 Chrissie rated it did not like it
Shelves: fauna, short, disliked, dnf
All I can say is that this was a huge disappointment. I love Thurber's cartoons, but his stories and novels just do not do much for me. This one in particular......
Cayr
Dec 31, 2009 Cayr rated it it was ok
Shelves: dogs
Thurber is a dog lover who wrote during the early - middle part of the 20th century. Although he is a humorous writer, knowing what I know today about responsible dog ownership, I was horrified through much of this book. Horrified by pet dogs allowed to run wild, breed indiscriminately, and fight without intervention. Many of the stories recount events that were completely avoidable, if only pet ownership had been viewed then with more responsibility.
Nan St.Michael
Jul 28, 2016 Nan St.Michael rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Mr. Thurber's since I was a kid but rereading the stories in this book was a little disturbing because the difference between what we now know about dogs, dog training, having dogs in our families and the evolution of dogs has, thankfully, come a long, long way since these stories were written.
I still love Mr. Thurber's wit and skill as writer and will continue to reread his books for the rest of my life.
Mary Tripp
This is a great funny read to revisit over and over. I think these are collections of his Talk of the Town and other essays in the NYer over the years. Mostly about dogs and human nature.

If you don't know his humor, its very Midwest and slightly absurd in a 1950s sort of way.
Karen
Jan 31, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love so much about Thurber: his writing, his illustrations, his humor, but most of all, I might love that he loved dogs.

These stories took place in another time -- early to mid-20th century -- so some of the stories are cringeworthy to our 'enlightened' era.
Carol Meyer
Feb 05, 2016 Carol Meyer rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
A little dated, but Thurber's dry wit, incredible vocabulary, and adorable dog drawings make this book worth dusting off for any dog lover.
Debra Hennessey
Debra Hennessey rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2012
elaine dress
elaine dress rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2015
Clara
Aug 22, 2011 Clara rated it it was amazing
Read this with my family and loved it! He is truly a wordsmith :)
Merry Gottschall
Merry Gottschall rated it really liked it
May 20, 2008
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2008
Matthew Vacca
Matthew Vacca rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2011
Conor Robin Madigan
Conor Robin Madigan rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2007
Cat Needham
Cat Needham rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2012
Christian
Christian rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2013
Thom Spencer
Thom Spencer rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2008
squirrel
squirrel rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Jaime
Jaime rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2008
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2014
Chasmom
Chasmom rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2008
Duffy
Duffy rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2013
S
S rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2013
Ray Ivey
Ray Ivey rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2010
Tony Fair
Tony Fair rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
James
James rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2009
Tracy Turner
Tracy Turner rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2011
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
  • A Literary Education and Other Essays
  • Imagined Worlds
  • Fireflood and Other Stories
  • Eyes of Amber and Other Stories
  • Fen Country:  Twenty-Six Stories Featuring Gervase Fen (Gervase Fen, #11)
Thurber was born in Columbus, Ohio to Charles L. Thurber and Mary Agnes (Mame) Fisher Thurber. Both of his parents greatly influenced his work. His father, a sporadically employed clerk and minor politician who dreamed of being a lawyer or an actor, is said to have been the inspiration for the small, timid protagonist typical of many of his stories. Thurber described his mother as a "born ...more
More about James Thurber...