Figure Skating: A Celebration

Figure Skating: A Celebration

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Filled with dramatic full-color photographs of past and contemporary international skating stars, this is a magical tribute to the world's most popular and glamorous spectator sport.
Published November 13th 1999 by McClelland & Stewart (first published November 1st 1994)

E
No one outside my family shares my love for the bizarre sport/art that is figure skating, and even I'm surprised at my 16 years of fanaticism. But it's ballet with blades. I like duality.

As for the book, it's out of date but offers lots of history with a special focus on Canadians. There is a multitude of pretty pictures (hence my according it three stars), but the writing is TOO pretty. This makes sense when considering the title of the book, but it is disingenuous to gloss over the sexism, loo...more
Surreysmum
Coffee-table book, but with much interesting text, including a genuine history of competitive skating. I have the Canadian dust-jacket, featuring Elvis Stojko.
Pryvian
Pryvian marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Sogyu
Sogyu marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
Don M
Don M added it
May 26, 2013
Allie
Allie added it
May 12, 2013
Jamie Valie
Jamie Valie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2013
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2012
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2012
Missey
Missey marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2011
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2011
Fast
Fast added it
Jul 16, 2011
A Year in Figure Skating Talking Figure Skating: Behind the Scenes in the World's Most Glamorous Sport Gold On Ice: The Sale And Pelletier Story Preschool Play and Learn: 15 Fun Activities for Christmas (Preschoolplay Play and Learn) Preschool Play and Learn: 15 Fun Activities for Mother's Day (Preschool Play and Learn: Activities for Every Season)