The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Do you feel that if you could get rid of some of the chaos in your work life, you could take your performance to a greater level? Do you stay late at the office many nights, trying to empty an inbox that never seems to diminish? Do you have difficulty dealing with cantankerous bosses or passive-aggressive coworkers? Do you find yourself checking your BlackBerry—almost agai...more
Published August 12th 2008 by HarperBusiness (first published 2008)

MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
Currently re-reading and following the project of a Life Audit.
This is an outstanding book written by a successful corporate consultant (Phd. Psychologist) with experience in coaching executives in very large corporations. These executives, as with all of us, experience the same type of issues and have misguided attempts at dealing with these issues such as: bringing in Time Management Seminars, Conflict Resolution Training, etc.
The premise is that while these attempts at getting to the solutio...more
Veronica
Excellent book for determining the right decisions to make in relationships in business. Many of the suggestions would help in various areas of life. Encourages readers to own up to your own choices and take steps to avoid allowing other people to prevent you from achieving your goals. I particularly liked the differentiation he made between those things in life that are vital but not urgent. He gives suggestions on how to make what is vital to a successful life be at the forefront of your decis...more
Oct 25, 2008 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
This is a book to both read and study. He has a unique way of showing how intergrity helps solve common problems. I plan on reading it again!
ACB
having liked boundaries so much, i have been wanting to read another cloud and/or townsend book. this one seemed as though it would be helpful, as i'm ever struggling to achieve that elusive work-life balance. (also, i've given the book to a couple of people as gifts, so i wanted to be able to discuss it with them.)

overall, i found a lot of helpful information in this book. some of the content was a review of boundaries, although i read that book some time ago, so i appreciated having a brief re...more
Megan
If you are human, than you have issues with boundaries in some areas of life. At least according to the author of this book. I tend to agree. The book was a little slow moving at times, but overall reading it has encouraged me to think about my own boundaries in life. He uses a great analogy of boundaries being like fences - you need yours to be defined and easily apparent to your neighbors. You shouldn't be going into other peoples' yards and fooling with their stuff, and you shouldn't allow th...more
Andrew
Dr Henry Cloud reminds us that the achievement is up to us. We are the instigators of the boundaries that will or will not allow for the outcomes we desire. Whether this be in the relationships we form in or out of the work environment. It includes practical time management issues, including interruptions whilst attempting to work on important projects, phone calls and email. This is a challenging book as you are called upon to be serious about who you are or might become, what do you 'really' d...more
Shari
A provocative read about personal boundaries & their benefits in everyday life. Boundaries - a solution to chaos in life.
Jo
I'm reading it in 15 minute increments over lunch at work, but it's got some interesting insights. Some I already knew, but needed to be reminded of, others new to me. Bear in mind that I've read his Boundaries books about a decade ago & they drastically changed my life for the better. This is another boundaries book but keyed for the business setting and wholly secular (unlike the prior books). It's quite good, I think. There are several people I'd like to give this book to.

Jenni Biegler
I am still reading this but appreciate a section that highlights how technology has a way of taking over our time and attention and diverting it from more important things or people in our lives. I find myself starting to resent how text messages have a way of intruding on family time and/or dates with my mate. People have access to us 24/7 and unless we are intentional about setting boundaries with our electronic devices, we will always have a crowd of people with us.
Kathy Hogeveen
Some real keys for taking ownership of your life are covered in this book. My top three were the law of motivation; "It is about getting to essence of why you are doing what you are doing--and owning that essence", internalizations and patterns; my unconscious response to certain words, and of course the audit! I highly recommend this book with its explanations of practical steps to help you make the necessary changes to achieve your personal and professional goals.
Jason Beck
I read this about 5 months ago. It was one of the first non-fiction books I've read, but it helped me identify my core personal values, a vision for my future, action-oriented mission statements, and how to set and enforce boundaries in my personal and work life. Definitely a great read, and it inspired me to read several more books by Henry Cloud and John Townsend, as well as a slew of other books.
Josh Gaudreau
Some good suggestions and insights in it, to be sure, but I wouldn't've read this if it wasn't for work.

Basically it's "Boundaries" for the workplace, and while the author mentions several times that it's for every worker regardless of what level in the company they're at, it's definitely geared towards upper managers and CEO's.

Scott
This was a great audio book to take in while working out and doing some other things. Cloud covers the whole of life and gives workable solutions to some of life's most troubling time management issues. Work/Family solutions have to merge into a "one life" process if we're going to successfully manage ourselves.
Andy
At first the concepts seemed pretty obvious, but as you delve in further the author does provide some good suggestions for how to respond to situations in the workplace. I like how he mentioned vital and urgent tasks as well as handling the "rocks" in your life.
Mary
I'm a huge fan of all his 'boundary' books, this one included. Anybody that has access to check in @ work remotely from home, vaca, etc. should read this. Reclaim the small part of your life not spent at the office!
Stan
Wonderful integration of mental/emotional boundaries with respect to how use our time. Dr. Cloud creates paradigms from which we can peer into the motivations of why we do what do and how to set limits on the use time.
Shauna
A great book on how to keep one's work life from taking over one's personal life. Although aimed at people in the corporate world, this book has plenty to offer freelancers as well.
David Warner
Basically, this is boundaries for work. A good book with some useful tips on ways to prioritize your work/life balance (especially the tips on using e-mail).
Elizabeth
There are some very good insights and practical solutions.
Kate
Good for developing boundaries.
Kimz Zahour
Highly recommend!
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Henry Cloud
Apr 01, 2014 Henry Cloud added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Eddie Hinkle
Eddie Hinkle marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Taiko7225
Taiko7225 marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Sarah Lewis
Sarah Lewis marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Trish Johnson
Trish Johnson is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Dr. Cloud has written or co-written twenty-five books, including the two million-seller Boundaries. His most recent books are Boundaries for Leaders and Necessary Endings. He has earned three Gold Medallion awards, and was awarded the distinguished Retailers Choice award for God Will Make A Way.

As president of Cloud-Townsend Resources, Dr. Cloud has produced and conducted hundreds of public semina...more
More about Henry Cloud...
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No, to Take Control of Your Life Boundaries in Dating Boundaries with Kids: When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Help Your Children Gain Control of Their Lives Changes That Heal: How to Understand the Past to Ensure a Healthier Future Safe People: How to Find Relationships That Are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren't