Start by marking “The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success” as Want to Read:

“Dr. Cloud will show you how to produce the results you are looking for in your work and personal life.”
—Dr. Phil McGraw, #1 New York Times bestselling author

From Dr. Henry Cloud, the million-copy selling author of Boundaries and Integrity, comes The One-Life Solution, an essential handbook that demonstrates how establishing a successful, happy, and rewarding business car
Published August 12th 2008 by HarperBusiness (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The One-Life Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One-Life Solution

MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
Currently re-reading and following the project of a Life Audit.
This is an outstanding book written by a successful corporate consultant (Phd. Psychologist) with experience in coaching executives in very large corporations. These executives, as with all of us, experience the same type of issues and have misguided attempts at dealing with these issues such as: bringing in Time Management Seminars, Conflict Resolution Training, etc.
The premise is that while these attempts at getting to the solutio
Veronica
Jul 01, 2013 Veronica rated it really liked it
Shelves: veronica
Excellent book for determining the right decisions to make in relationships in business. Many of the suggestions would help in various areas of life. Encourages readers to own up to your own choices and take steps to avoid allowing other people to prevent you from achieving your goals. I particularly liked the differentiation he made between those things in life that are vital but not urgent. He gives suggestions on how to make what is vital to a successful life be at the forefront of your decis ...more
Oct 25, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This is a book to both read and study. He has a unique way of showing how intergrity helps solve common problems. I plan on reading it again!
A.C. Bauch
Aug 17, 2012 A.C. Bauch rated it really liked it
Having enjoyed Boundaries so much, I've wanted to read another Cloud and/or Townsend book. This one seemed as though it would be helpful, as I'm ever struggling to achieve that elusive work-life balance. (Also, I've given the book to a couple of people as gifts, so I wanted to be able to discuss it with them.)

Overall, I found a lot of helpful information in this book. Some of the content was a review of Boundaries, although I read that book some time ago and needed a brief review. And while I've
Megan
Sep 04, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
If you are human, than you have issues with boundaries in some areas of life. At least according to the author of this book. I tend to agree. The book was a little slow moving at times, but overall reading it has encouraged me to think about my own boundaries in life. He uses a great analogy of boundaries being like fences - you need yours to be defined and easily apparent to your neighbors. You shouldn't be going into other peoples' yards and fooling with their stuff, and you shouldn't allow th ...more
Carol Willis
Jan 25, 2014 Carol Willis rated it really liked it
I read this because I need to reclaim my personal like AND achieve greater professional success, just as the subtitle says. It's so good. Yes, this is about productivity, but Dr. Cloud gets behind the usual time management advice -- all good -- to encourage the reader to look at why that advice might be so hard to follow. Why do I keep letting my boundaries get crossed? What voices am I listening to?

Sometimes some hard personal work has to come before, or at least t the same time as, getting thi
Andrew
Sep 03, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
Dr Henry Cloud reminds us that the achievement is up to us. We are the instigators of the boundaries that will or will not allow for the outcomes we desire. Whether this be in the relationships we form in or out of the work environment. It includes practical time management issues, including interruptions whilst attempting to work on important projects, phone calls and email. This is a challenging book as you are called upon to be serious about who you are or might become, what do you 'really' d ...more
Mark Elliott
Dec 28, 2014 Mark Elliott rated it liked it
I suppose when you are good at writing about one thing, your work begins to reflect it no matter the content. The other title for this book would be "Boundaries at work" but for the sake of not wanting to alienate readers or to scare them off from this purchase it was more cleverly titled! =) The content though specific to work is similar to his other works but the good content comes in the last two chapter or so.
Jenni Biegler
I am still reading this but appreciate a section that highlights how technology has a way of taking over our time and attention and diverting it from more important things or people in our lives. I find myself starting to resent how text messages have a way of intruding on family time and/or dates with my mate. People have access to us 24/7 and unless we are intentional about setting boundaries with our electronic devices, we will always have a crowd of people with us.
Jason Beck
Jun 11, 2012 Jason Beck rated it it was amazing
I read this about 5 months ago. It was one of the first non-fiction books I've read, but it helped me identify my core personal values, a vision for my future, action-oriented mission statements, and how to set and enforce boundaries in my personal and work life. Definitely a great read, and it inspired me to read several more books by Henry Cloud and John Townsend, as well as a slew of other books.
Kathy Hogeveen
Jul 01, 2013 Kathy Hogeveen rated it it was amazing
Some real keys for taking ownership of your life are covered in this book. My top three were the law of motivation; "It is about getting to essence of why you are doing what you are doing--and owning that essence", internalizations and patterns; my unconscious response to certain words, and of course the audit! I highly recommend this book with its explanations of practical steps to help you make the necessary changes to achieve your personal and professional goals.
Jo
Oct 01, 2008 Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
I'm reading it in 15 minute increments over lunch at work, but it's got some interesting insights. Some I already knew, but needed to be reminded of, others new to me. Bear in mind that I've read his Boundaries books about a decade ago & they drastically changed my life for the better. This is another boundaries book but keyed for the business setting and wholly secular (unlike the prior books). It's quite good, I think. There are several people I'd like to give this book to.

Josh Gaudreau
Jun 10, 2013 Josh Gaudreau rated it it was ok
Some good suggestions and insights in it, to be sure, but I wouldn't've read this if it wasn't for work.

Basically it's "Boundaries" for the workplace, and while the author mentions several times that it's for every worker regardless of what level in the company they're at, it's definitely geared towards upper managers and CEO's.

Scott
Mar 15, 2010 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great audio book to take in while working out and doing some other things. Cloud covers the whole of life and gives workable solutions to some of life's most troubling time management issues. Work/Family solutions have to merge into a "one life" process if we're going to successfully manage ourselves.
Neil Steinwand
May 05, 2016 Neil Steinwand rated it really liked it
Definitely written for the secular market, this book rehashes some of his other material into a leadership/self-help focused book. Still, the content is excellent and the author's faith still present.
Andy
Feb 01, 2011 Andy rated it liked it
At first the concepts seemed pretty obvious, but as you delve in further the author does provide some good suggestions for how to respond to situations in the workplace. I like how he mentioned vital and urgent tasks as well as handling the "rocks" in your life.
Stan
Dec 12, 2012 Stan rated it really liked it
Wonderful integration of mental/emotional boundaries with respect to how use our time. Dr. Cloud creates paradigms from which we can peer into the motivations of why we do what do and how to set limits on the use time.
Mary
May 22, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of all his 'boundary' books, this one included. Anybody that has access to check in @ work remotely from home, vaca, etc. should read this. Reclaim the small part of your life not spent at the office!
David Warner
Apr 27, 2010 David Warner rated it really liked it
Basically, this is boundaries for work. A good book with some useful tips on ways to prioritize your work/life balance (especially the tips on using e-mail).
Shauna
Apr 12, 2010 Shauna rated it it was amazing
A great book on how to keep one's work life from taking over one's personal life. Although aimed at people in the corporate world, this book has plenty to offer freelancers as well.
Shari
Jan 23, 2014 Shari rated it it was amazing
A provocative read about personal boundaries & their benefits in everyday life. Boundaries - a solution to chaos in life.
Kelley Andrews
Great book! Helps to put a lot of things into perspective and offers useful, simplified strategies to help one establish boundaries that lead to a more productive and peaceful life.
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2011
Elson Erce
Elson Erce rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Deedums
Deedums rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2017
Alisa Lockman
Alisa Lockman rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Dave Lohman
Dave Lohman rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Ward Johnson
Ward Johnson rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Flipping the Switch: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World
  • The Great Eight: How to Be Happy (Even When You Have Every Reason to be Miserable)
  • Creating Your Personal Life Plan: A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing the Life You've Always Wanted
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • When Generations Collide: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work
  • The Principle of Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • The Bravehearted Gospel: A Life Consumed with the Power of Christ
  • No: Why Kids--of All Ages--Need to Hear It and Ways Parents Can Say It
  • Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • High Five!: The Magic of Working Together
  • Stop Acting Rich... and Start Living Like a Real Millionaire
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You
Dr. Cloud has written or co-written twenty-five books, including the two million-seller Boundaries. His most recent books are Boundaries for Leaders and Necessary Endings. He has earned three Gold Medallion awards, and was awarded the distinguished Retailers Choice award for God Will Make A Way.

As president of Cloud-Townsend Resources, Dr. Cloud has produced and conducted hundreds of public semina
More about Henry Cloud...