Prince of Lost Places

Prince of Lost Places

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"Forty million mothers would have followed me out here, if they had known this place existed." Martha's son, Duncan, is the light of her life. After a child is killed at Duncan's school, Martha decides that she must protect him from the world and from the constant, unnameable dangers that plague parents and their children.

So late one night, she kidnaps him and takes him...more
Published January 6th 2003 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Prince of Lost Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince of Lost Places

Seduction of Ellen by Nan RyanThe Hard Detective by H.R.F. KeatingThe Guardian by Barbara MillerThe Dreaming Detective by H.R.F. KeatingPoison Apples by Nancy Means Wright
Books Harriet Didn't Love So Much
50th out of 76 books — 1 voter
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Royalty
384th out of 641 books — 79 voters

More lists with this book...

Tez
As a teenager I read Kathy Hepinstall's first two novels. Both stand-alones, though I read the second before the first. I can't recall their plots or characters, but I remember loving the books - particularly The Absence of Nectar. The author's third novel wasn't in my library's system, and only now have I acquired it through other means.

And it's a goodie. Only 176 pages, but literature doesn't follow the same boundaries as genre fiction. Kathy Hepinstall is one of the few literary novelists I r...more
Leen
In de buurt van De jongen in de gestreepte pyjama stond dit boek, net zo dun maar eens zo donker van kaft, het lettertype even groot.
Aha, nog meer schakel-je-hersens-uit-lectuur!

Think again.

Martha trekt met haar zoontje Duncan weg van de bewoonde wereld nadat de conciërge op zijn school zichzelf had opgeblazen en daarbij ook één kind gedood en anderen gewond had. Ze wil haar zoon beschermen tegen al het kwaad in de wereld, en besluit te gaan wonen in een grot op de grens van Mexico en Amerika.
In...more
Amanda
Sep 22, 2007 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of mellow literature
Shelves: mystery
It would probably be more accurate to call this book a novella rather than a novel, not so much because of the length (barely 200 pages) but because of the pace at which it moves along.

When tragedy strikes the school her little boy Duncan attends, Martha takes him to the wilderness to live in a cave, her way of sheltering him from all the things that could ever harm them. Living in a cave, she continues to tell her son that his dad will be along eventually, lying to keep him happy, adamant that...more
Eric Hall
Very well written book, again. Kathy is a rare author that you all should read.

This is again, a somewhat dark book.It will make you think and it keeps you hanging the whole way through. It's good stuff.

This is a repeat of my other reviews of her, I know. But it's worth saying again:
Kathy has a way with words. She's a throwback to times when well written books also meant that the language used was musical, almost like coherent poetry. That's how Kathy writes; it's a trait you will find in all her...more
J.M.
This was another dollar bin grab that turned out better than I anticipated. When a child is killed at her son's school, Martha thinks it's too dangerous to let Duncan return. In a fit of paranoia, she kidnaps him and hides away in a cave far from society, where no one can find them or hurt her son.

What transpires is just brilliantly written. I guessed at the ending and was happily correct, but the reading was enjoyable and kept me turning pages all the way to the end.
This tale has elements that I normally detest in a book: it switches voice from one character to another, in first person, and it has an ambiguous ending. The novel, however, is a compelling story of a mother who goes to extremes to protect her son from the dangers of the normal world by whisking him away to a cave on the Rio Grande. It left me asking how far I would go to protect my children.
Kristi Thompson
Holly Medina
Sep 10, 2007 Holly Medina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: recentlyread
This book was had me thinking it was going in one direction the whole way through. It wasnt until the last chapter that everything switched with a complete shocker. It was so good that I am now reading the very first book the author ever wrote and plan to read all of her work in hopes that they are as intriguing as this was.
CELIA
Jun 12, 2008 CELIA rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: likers of survival stories, philosomoms
Recommended to CELIA by: my hubby, of course
You know, I just didn't see the end coming. It's a short book and kinda interesting without being fantastic, and then the end just makes you stand up and start looking for someone to force to read it. An awesome meditation on modern motherhood. Loved the whole Swiss family vibe.
Amy
This was a quick and easy read about a mother's never-ending love for her son in a dangerous, untrustworthy world. I liked the book.
Donnajo
Gave this book my 10 rating. After a tragedy at her son's school results in a death of a child. Martha, a young Ohio mom kidnaps her son under her husband's nose late one night and takes him to live in a cave on the Rio Grande.
Matthew Leeth
This book was awesome. It had me guessing and thinking throughout. The characters are very likeable as well. Great read! The end made me want more though, a second book... :D
Jenn
A very interesting take on how one woman deals with a harmful incident at her son's school. She is mental enough that she removes her son from school and keeps him in a cave.
Jeannine
A brisk read, with an interesting plot (mother takes off with son to hide in a cave after a violent incident at the son's school), but an unsatisfying and abrupt ending.
Lonye
i liked this book....not as well as House of Gentle Men, though. it was well written, and the reader really got to know the mai character, but it was a bit disturbing to me.
Cynthia Blessman
Thank goodness this book is short because I was so shocked at the end I had to re- read it!! Hepinstall is not just an amazing author, she's wickedly cool.
Lesley
Awwwww! What a great fast read. A story of love and a tradegy that drives a mother into the absolute extreme or is it madness!
Anita Scholtens
GREAT book - would recommend this highly - an author not that well known - hort book - quick read - would appeal to women.
Alaina
Interesting premise, but I figured out the ending too soon. This would be a good book for a younger reader, I think.
Jasmine Harun
It takes a strong heart to accept the ending, I kept flipping if there is anymore pages!!
Pamela
Sad, surprise ending. Boy and mother. Mysterious.
Mary Lou
loved this book.
Bev
Bev marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Kathy Hepinstall was born in Odessa, Texas, and spent a large part of her childhood two hours from the Louisiana border, where most of her relatives
reside. She lives in Austin, Texas.
More about Kathy Hepinstall...
Blue Asylum The Absence of Nectar The House of Gentle Men The Lifeboat Clique Sisters of Shiloh