Start by marking “Nations and Nationalism since 1780: Programme, Myth, Reality” as Want to Read:
Nations and Nationalism since 1780: Programme, Myth, Reality

Nations and Nationalism since 1780: Programme, Myth, Reality

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  832 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Recent events in Eastern Europe and the Soviet republics have reinforced the central importance of nationalism in the history of political evolution and upheaval. This second edition has been updated in the light of those events.
Published October 30th 1992 by Cambridge University Press (first published June 29th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Nations and Nationalism since 1780, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nations and Nationalism since 1780

In this influential investigation of the nationalist phenomenon, E. J. Hobsbawm traces its ideological development from the late eighteenth to the end of the twentieth century, demonstrating its constructed nature as a myth and its repercussions in reality as a means of political manipulation. His analysis of the last two hundred years of European history reveals a dialectical tension between civic and ethnic nationalism that alternately revised the terms of the national myth thus rendering a si ...more
Published in 1990. The famous Marxist historian takes up the phenomenon of nationalism. He dates the central theme from 1780 since the concept of nationalism itself is a fairly recent adaptation of old tribal allegiances. In the middle ages and early modern period it was possible for serfs to feel an attachment to their laird or a king but the concept of a nation is relatively new.

Patrie has been manipulated throughout the ages and frequently by governments we would not call nationalist in thems
Hobsbawm is erudite, creative, very well versed in modern history, and has a way of putting things just so. He is also a committed Marxist with all the political blinders that that entails. A good summary of the modernist school of nationalism studies.
Sean Chick
I generally do not agree with the arguments in the book, but the real issue is the professorial prose.
María I.
El gran historiador británico nos ofrece en este libro un detallado análisis histórico de la evolución de la nación moderna en los últimos 200 años, desde el protonacionalismo popular hasta la actualidad, procurando distinguir cuidadosamente lo que es historia real de lo que no pasa de ser mitología programática, y poniendo de relieve la contradicción que parece existir entre la actual reafirmación política de las nacionalidades y la lógica de la integración económica que las empuja, como en el ...more
Interesting discussion of the origins and development of nationalism.

Великолепная книга! Известный британский историк-марксист исследует феномен и зарождение понятий нация и национализм, и делает это так захватывающе, что иной писатель-романист позавидует.

Само понятие нации является весьма и весьма молодым и недавним, что совсем неудивительно, если окинуть взглядом Средние века и Новое время (глубже погружаться в поисках даже зачатков нации смысл невелик). Большинство населения того времени были людьми зависимыми (в разной степени тяжести) и были *привязаны* в ог
Eric Hobsbawm be droppin truth bombs yo! He has this relentless writing style where he just lobs evidence and argument at you until you're forced to submit. And, when you reflect on them, they actually hold up pretty well.

I didn't really like his dismissal of the voluntaristic argument of how nations and nationalism come about (i.e. me and my fellow Washingtonians could band together and become Washington State nationalists), because that really seems to be at the core of his argument. He keeps
Roxane De bellac
This book gave me a wider understanding of the world we live in and the construction of "nations" and "national identity", concepts that seem so natural nowadays but that are actually very hard to define. Hobsbawm explains how people gave birth to nations, or the way around: how states shape national identity with a lot of historical examples. That book really changed my vision of what "nationality" means and gave me a more critical view of the society we are living in.
I liked this while I was reading it but it isn't sticking with me seems like kind of a jumble in my head. Hobsbawm argues that nations and nationalism have really only existed the way we think of them today since the 1880s, and before that things were quite blurry. What makes up a nation, anyway? Does a nation have to based on language? Religion? Ethnicity? Is there a size that is too big or too small to be a nation? Hobsbawm points out that most people have a sort of common-sense ap ...more
Hobsbawm takes what could be called the classic view of the origins of nations, in that he has a tendency to conflate nations with nation-states and suggest they were created by the French Revolution. This shows an all too typical Eurocentric perspective that ignores the American Revolution and its creation of a federal republic. also, nations existed before nation-states. the two are distinct entities. Overall a fair argument is presented, but it is deeply flawed.
Zoe Hu
not systematic, and mainly in Europe - the author has little knowledge of other districts
Sinan Öner
I read this good history of Eric Hobsbawm about Nations.
review to follow
Standardwerk der Nationalismusforschung: Nationen weder natürlich, überhistorisch oder starr, sondern ein Produkt der europäischen Moderne zur Schaffung einheitlicher Wirtschaftsräume und veränderlich unter politischen, administrativen, wirtschaftlichen und sozialen Bedingungen; klärt Mythen um angebliche archaische »Fundamente einer Nationalkultur«, z.B. Sprache, Ethnie/Rasse, Geschichte, Territorium. Übergang vom politischen zum ethnischen Nationalismus
for my folklore and nationalism class. really interesting, although sometimes hobsbawm's own ideology gets in the way. excepting the bits where he says something is obvious (it isn't, always, and that's an invitation for the reader to disagree), it's well-thought-out and easy to read. good background material for nationalism studies.
It made my head hurt in places but it was a really interesting look at the concept of nations and the rise of nationalism. The last chapter has slightly been overtaken by events (my edition was published in the late 80's) but its interesting to read Hobsbawm's comments on Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia etc.
Luana Fortes Miranda
I suggest to the alien, to whom this book is dedicated, search for the original edition. Maybe it is more organized than the Brazilian one. Despite that, the alien will find a really interesting discussion, based on a huge list of examples, about the development of the nations.
While thought-provoking, his theories are not convincing to me. They seem too rigidly Marxist to understand the phenomenon of nationalism. Most specifically, they do not match well with what I have seen in my own studies.
morning Os
A European-centered, good historical account on the development of nationalism. I liked the way he shows that the concept (content) of nationalism as a reason for political legitimation has never stayed the same.
Jonathan Hyslop
Benedict Anderson and Ernest Gellner wrote brilliantly on nationalism. But for me, this is the book which really tells the story of the construction of this toxic ideology, to which we are still in thrall.
best book i've read for a class. a good introduction to nations, how they exist and how in reality they're really nothing concrete. well written, hobsbawm is a great historian.
La concezione classica di Nazione e di Nazionalismo, viene smembrata e fatta a pezzi dal chirurgo Hobsbawm, il quale ne ripercorre le origini, la formazione e l'età dell'oro.
Some good insight, especially toward the end. But, generally speaking, too much time is lost to unsupported, spurious claims and repetitive recitation of the obvious.
I think this book is the best introduction to nations and understanding the nationalist perspective in our age
the most important are last two chapters....modern history
Jan 27, 2008 Jack rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: me
Recommended to Jack by: Gag No N
did i even read this? perhaps not.
Apr 09, 2012 Daniel added it
  • Europe and the People Without History
  • The Structures of Everyday Life
  • Dark Continent: Europe's Twentieth Century
  • Late Victorian Holocausts: El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World
  • The Mughal Empire (The New Cambridge History of India, Volume 1, Part 5)
  • The Making of the English Working Class
  • The Statesman (Texts in the History of Political Thought)
Eric Hobsbawm, a self-confessed "unrepentant communist", was professor emeritus of economic and social history of the University of London at Birkbeck. He wrote many acclaimed historical works, including a trilogy on the nineteenth-century: The Age of Revolution, The Age of Capital, and The Age of Empire, and was the author of The Age of Extremes: The Short 20th Century 1914-1991 and his recent au ...more
More about Eric J. Hobsbawm...
The Age of Extremes: A History of the World 1914-1991 The Age of Revolution: 1789-1848 The Age of Empire, 1875-1914 The Age of Capital: 1848-1875 The Invention of Tradition