Start by marking “Nations and Nationalism since 1780: Programme, Myth, Reality” as Want to Read:
Nations and Nationalism since 1780: Programme, Myth, Reality

Nations and Nationalism since 1780: Programme, Myth, Reality

Recent events in Eastern Europe and the Soviet republics have reinforced the central importance of nationalism in the history of political evolution and upheaval. This second edition has been updated in the light of those events.
Published October 30th 1992 by Cambridge University Press (first published June 29th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Nations and Nationalism since 1780, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nations and Nationalism since 1780

Ted
Jan 24, 2016 Ted rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history post-grads
3 1/2, I know the guy is a great historian. But I can't handle his writing.

Abandoning the book, my fault I'm sure.

I started reading it about 7 months ago. Things went well for a while, though of course I was reading ten or more other books so progress was slow.

Picked it up yesterday to try to make progress, and just couldn't. Since then I've probably snowplowed through 10-12 pages and fallen asleep about four times.

A couple quotes from the back of the book:

"Eric Hobsbawm's widely acclaimed and h
Heather
Nov 07, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
In this influential investigation of the nationalist phenomenon, E. J. Hobsbawm traces its ideological development from the late eighteenth to the end of the twentieth century, demonstrating its constructed nature as a myth and its repercussions in reality as a means of political manipulation. His analysis of the last two hundred years of European history reveals a dialectical tension between civic and ethnic nationalism that alternately revised the terms of the national myth thus rendering a si ...more
Mark
Aug 17, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics, history
Published in 1990. The famous Marxist historian takes up the phenomenon of nationalism. He dates the central theme from 1780 since the concept of nationalism itself is a fairly recent adaptation of old tribal allegiances. In the middle ages and early modern period it was possible for serfs to feel an attachment to their laird or a king but the concept of a nation is relatively new.

Patrie has been manipulated throughout the ages and frequently by governments we would not call nationalist in thems
Mateo R.
Intertextualidad

Menciones directas:

* Physics and politics (1887) de Walter Bagehot.
* "Nationalism: a trend report and bibliography" (1973) de A. D. Smith.
* Theories of nationalism (1983) de A. D. Smith.
* The ethnic origins of nations (1986) de A. D. Smith.
* Del gobierno representativo (1861) de John Stuart Mill.
* "Qu'est ce que c'est une nation?" (1882) de Ernest Renán.
* Les marxistes et la question nationale 1848-1914 (1974) de Georges Haupt, Michel Lowy y Claudie Weill.
* Die Nationalitatenfrag
Ludovica
Termino la lettura dopo molta fatica, ma senza rimpianti; nella fattispecie ho trovato l'opera dello storico Hobsbawn veramente illuminante riguardo a quello che sono stati i processi che hanno portato alla creazione del mito dei nazionalismi.
Secondo il mio parere questo testo dovrebbe essere introdotto nella didattica delle scuole superiori per poter contribuire a formare una coscienza civica nei futuri cittadini, rendendoli consapevoli di quali processi siano in atto dietro ai fantasmi della x
Anthony Matijas
Mar 16, 2016 Anthony Matijas rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that should be required reading for everybody, not because the history of nationalism is a topic that most find interesting or engaging, but because the lack of knowledge of the subject continues to contribute to some of the bloodiest misunderstandings we have ever known.
Kelly
Hobsbawm is erudite, creative, very well versed in modern history, and has a way of putting things just so. He is also a committed Marxist with all the political blinders that that entails. A good summary of the modernist school of nationalism studies.
Sean Chick
Mar 26, 2014 Sean Chick rated it it was ok
I generally do not agree with the arguments in the book, but the real issue is the professorial prose.
María
El gran historiador británico nos ofrece en este libro un detallado análisis histórico de la evolución de la nación moderna en los últimos 200 años, desde el protonacionalismo popular hasta la actualidad, procurando distinguir cuidadosamente lo que es historia real de lo que no pasa de ser mitología programática, y poniendo de relieve la contradicción que parece existir entre la actual reafirmación política de las nacionalidades y la lógica de la integración económica que las empuja, como en el ...more
Bradley
Aug 09, 2010 Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: hi-597
Interesting discussion of the origins and development of nationalism.
Zackrid
Jun 23, 2016 Zackrid rated it it was amazing
(I've been lagging behind for a while so I'm doing some GR catching up)

This is a really, really good book on the history of nationalism! It is serious and historical but written in a very clear fashion, its points are concise and easy to grasp. For being political non-fiction it goes by swiftly but it can also feel pretty dense with so much information at that pace.

It tells how nationalism in Europe grew out of the nation-states starting in the 1600s and 1700s. After the state was already establ
André
STANDARDWERK DER NATIONALISMUSFORSCHUNG

Nationen weder natürlich, überhistorisch oder starr, sondern ein Produkt der europäischen Moderne, aus liberaler Perspektive v.a. zur Schaffung sinnvoll-einheitlicher Wirtschaftsräume, und veränderlich unter politischen, administrativen, wirtschaftlichen und sozialen Bedingungen; klärt Mythen um angebliche archaische »Fundamente einer Nationalkultur«, z.B. Sprache, Kultur, »Volksgeist«, Ethnie/Rasse, Geschichte, Territorium. Übergang vom politischen zum eth
Telans
Apr 18, 2013 Telans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Великолепная книга! Известный британский историк-марксист исследует феномен и зарождение понятий нация и национализм, и делает это так захватывающе, что иной писатель-романист позавидует.

Само понятие нации является весьма и весьма молодым и недавним, что совсем неудивительно, если окинуть взглядом Средние века и Новое время (глубже погружаться в поисках даже зачатков нации смысл невелик). Большинство населения того времени были людьми зависимыми (в разной степени тяжести) и были *привязаны* в ог
Andrew
Eric Hobsbawm be droppin truth bombs yo! He has this relentless writing style where he just lobs evidence and argument at you until you're forced to submit. And, when you reflect on them, they actually hold up pretty well.

I didn't really like his dismissal of the voluntaristic argument of how nations and nationalism come about (i.e. me and my fellow Washingtonians could band together and become Washington State nationalists), because that really seems to be at the core of his argument. He keeps
Roxane De bellac
Nov 27, 2014 Roxane De bellac rated it it was amazing
This book gave me a wider understanding of the world we live in and the construction of "nations" and "national identity", concepts that seem so natural nowadays but that are actually very hard to define. Hobsbawm explains how people gave birth to nations, or the way around: how states shape national identity with a lot of historical examples. That book really changed my vision of what "nationality" means and gave me a more critical view of the society we are living in.
Paco
Jul 15, 2016 Paco rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ensayo muy académico, más bien difícil, sobre el nacionalismo y su efecto en la política y la historia. Análisis muy profundo de las diferentes variantes históricas de nacionalismo. Leído a intervalos es muy complicado mantener hiladas las ideas. La lección importante es que el nacionalismo antecede a la nación. Como siempre, Hobsbawm hace un análisis muy lúcido y profundo.
Cori
Jul 11, 2016 Cori rated it liked it
I just finished rereading this book, since I am, in fact, nerdy enough to study political science for fun. This book provides a strong and broad survey of nations and nationalism. If you don't already have a pretty strong working knowledge of the topic, this isn't the book for you. But, if you are like me and already have a pretty solid understanding of political science and/or history, I do recommend it. This book will serve to remind you of how recent and tenuous the phenomenon of the nation-s ...more
John
Dec 11, 2012 John rated it liked it
I liked this while I was reading it but it isn't sticking with me really...it seems like kind of a jumble in my head. Hobsbawm argues that nations and nationalism have really only existed the way we think of them today since the 1880s, and before that things were quite blurry. What makes up a nation, anyway? Does a nation have to based on language? Religion? Ethnicity? Is there a size that is too big or too small to be a nation? Hobsbawm points out that most people have a sort of common-sense ap ...more
Simon
Apr 12, 2014 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hobsbawm takes what could be called the classic view of the origins of nations, in that he has a tendency to conflate nations with nation-states and suggest they were created by the French Revolution. This shows an all too typical Eurocentric perspective that ignores the American Revolution and its creation of a federal republic. also, nations existed before nation-states. the two are distinct entities. Overall a fair argument is presented, but it is deeply flawed.
Bic
May 08, 2016 Bic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
O nacionalismo visto como um problema por um internacionalista cujo problema próprio é como dissolver as nações no internacionalismo que professa.
Storm Crispin
May 22, 2016 Storm Crispin rated it it was amazing
Best book on nationalism I've read to date. Finished it within a day because it was so interesting!
Zoe Hu
Nov 18, 2014 Zoe Hu rated it liked it
not systematic, and mainly in Europe - the author has little knowledge of other districts
Malcolm
Jul 09, 2015 Malcolm rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-global
review to follow
Aliyah
Feb 21, 2016 Aliyah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only grievance is that I don't know how someone could research and name hundreds of (pre-modern nation-state) European identities the average person has never heard of and use heaps of them as examples throughout the book, only to get around to the final chapter and say something like, "the Asian and Islamic countries." He obviously has the capacity to be a little more thorough than that.
secondwomn
Mar 23, 2008 secondwomn rated it liked it
for my folklore and nationalism class. really interesting, although sometimes hobsbawm's own ideology gets in the way. excepting the bits where he says something is obvious (it isn't, always, and that's an invitation for the reader to disagree), it's well-thought-out and easy to read. good background material for nationalism studies.
Johanne
May 16, 2013 Johanne rated it really liked it
It made my head hurt in places but it was a really interesting look at the concept of nations and the rise of nationalism. The last chapter has slightly been overtaken by events (my edition was published in the late 80's) but its interesting to read Hobsbawm's comments on Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia etc.
Luana Fortes Miranda
Jul 15, 2013 Luana Fortes Miranda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histoire
I suggest to the alien, to whom this book is dedicated, search for the original edition. Maybe it is more organized than the Brazilian one. Despite that, the alien will find a really interesting discussion, based on a huge list of examples, about the development of the nations.
Raully
Jan 25, 2008 Raully rated it it was ok
While thought-provoking, his theories are not convincing to me. They seem too rigidly Marxist to understand the phenomenon of nationalism. Most specifically, they do not match well with what I have seen in my own studies.
morning Os
Jan 10, 2008 morning Os rated it really liked it
A European-centered, good historical account on the development of nationalism. I liked the way he shows that the concept (content) of nationalism as a reason for political legitimation has never stayed the same.
Jonathan Hyslop
Mar 25, 2014 Jonathan Hyslop rated it it was amazing
Benedict Anderson and Ernest Gellner wrote brilliantly on nationalism. But for me, this is the book which really tells the story of the construction of this toxic ideology, to which we are still in thrall.
  • Nations and Nationalism
  • Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism
  • The Anatomy of Fascism
  • The Nation & Its Fragments: Colonial & Postcolonial Histories
  • Coercion, Capital, and European States: AD 990 - 1992
  • Civilization and capitalism 15th-18th century, Vol. 1: The structures of everyday life
  • The Antonio Gramsci Reader: Selected Writings 1916-1935
  • The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918 (History of Modern Europe)
  • Banal Nationalism
  • Machines as the Measure of Men: Science, Technology and Ideologies of Western Dominance (Cornell studies in comparative history)
  • Passages from Antiquity to Feudalism
  • Social Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy: Lord and Peasant in the Making of the Modern World
  • Dark Continent: Europe's Twentieth Century
  • Politics of Modernism: Against the New Conformists
  • The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte
  • Seeing Like a State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed
  • History in Three Keys: The Boxers as Event, Experience, and Myth
  • The Long Twentieth Century
Eric Hobsbawm, a self-confessed "unrepentant communist", was professor emeritus of economic and social history of the University of London at Birkbeck. He wrote many acclaimed historical works, including a trilogy on the nineteenth-century: The Age of Revolution, The Age of Capital, and The Age of Empire, and was the author of The Age of Extremes: The Short 20th Century 1914-1991 and his recent au ...more
More about Eric Hobsbawm...