Start by marking “Academonia” as Want to Read:
Academonia

Academonia

Fiction. Cultural Writing. Essays. A series of essays, ACADEMONIA is also an epic narrative of survival against institutional deadening and the proscriptiveness that shoots the young writer like poison darts from all sides. Here Bellamy, "explores the prickly intersection among these [institutional] spaces as it moves through institutions such as the academy, the experimen ...more
144 pages
Published June 30th 2006 by Krupskaya

To ask other readers questions about Academonia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Academonia

Imogen
May 16, 2010 Imogen rated it it was amazing
After hearing her name a million times, I finally got ahold of one of Dodie Bellamy's books! It felt like... um, not like coming home, because that's a pretty boring way to put something. But it made sense to me; the whole thing is a meditation on the discomfort/awkwardness that comes from the necessity of writing experimental- or "experimental"- fiction. It makes sense that she's the lady one who hangs out with Dennis Cooper and Kevin Killian and those folks. I'm trying to think of a way to say ...more
Piper Selden
Feb 29, 2012 Piper Selden rated it really liked it
Creative writing meets the Academy in this unconventional collection of essays. Personal and professional intersect in surprising and sometimes uncomfortable ways. Questions Bellamy poses: How does the writer figure out how to write? How does she balance the writing life with the personal? How will she claim her content among censorious voices (Academy, colleagues, friends, family, even the self)? Can the avant-garde create forms that speak to political and spiritual crisis? Can desire exist in ...more
Christine
Oct 18, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
Dodie Bellamy has freed me.
Dan
Jan 04, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
one of my new year's resolutions is to read more of this experimental, "new narrative" stuff.

not all of these essays/poems/poetic stories are 100% masterpieces, but enough of them knock it out of the fucking park for me to say that academonia is one of my favorites of the year. there's an essay about cats, for example, that is THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER READ ABOUT OWNING A PET EVER. i mean, i can't think of other great literary works of pet ownership offhand - so that might not be saying much -
Tina Dalton
Nov 04, 2013 Tina Dalton rated it it was amazing
It's amazing. It's freaky and weird, but also SO amazing. In class I'm studying a genre called New Narrative. It's not necessarily poetry, but something called poetic prose. New Narrative seeks to mess with the boundaries between the different parts of the author's life. Its all about ugly feelings and "operatic suffering." Basically, they try to write about the most intimate and embarrassing aspects of their life, or life in general. Sex, humiliations, bulimia, sex, sex, sex. I wouldn't recomme ...more
Jan 21, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
another on my list of mlk weekend medocino beach books . reading this book i worry for my naeve, pre-mfa self. little self whispers- don't do it child - don't go in front of those in power with agendas for writing. who knows. i also appreciate her account of the language of bulemia which got me to thinking on the language of anorexia . i think when i was 'anorexic' i was most creative / wrote the most expansively. though at this moment, i think the language of anorexia looks like this :
blake
These experimental essays refuse submission to academia, in every way. The first essay uses Lady Jane Grey, the character who got her head chopped off, as an anecdote to her precarious relationship to academia.
It is vulnerable, smart, clear and like all New Narrative, stitched with controversies of other New Narrative usual suspects, like Robert Gluck.
A must read for anyone wondering what New Narrative tenets are.
Tracy Gregory
Jul 10, 2013 Tracy Gregory rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Once I realized it was a memoir, I really appreciated her insight with her essays. Although, my favorite was definitely her short story Sexspace, and wish there were others more like it within the book.
Leslie
Nov 02, 2008 Leslie rated it it was amazing
This book is the best pick-me-up for a queer weirdo (I won’t say who) in the throes of graduate writing program semester one. Oh Dodie Bellamy, I’m glad you exist.
Oct 06, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
this has been part of my 'women who give a big fuck you to the avant-garde's rejection of of personal experience' reading binge--it's been quite satisfying.
Ronald
Dec 31, 2009 Ronald rated it it was amazing
Scary smart, witty and thoroughly enjoyable read.
Auguste
Sep 17, 2016 Auguste rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
excellent mix of academia and novel form.
Jesse Rice-Evans
Feb 22, 2016 Jesse Rice-Evans rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and precise
Ryan Ananat
Nov 24, 2012 Ryan Ananat rated it it was amazing
Highly reccommended.
Celine
Celine marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Shinjini Dey
Shinjini Dey marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Z
Z marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Bree Fell
Bree Fell marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
William Meredith
William Meredith marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Fakeophelia
Fakeophelia marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Hayley Peterson
Hayley Peterson marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Luna Nikolic
Luna Nikolic marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Miles
Miles marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Sug
Sug marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
crunching numbers
crunching numbers marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Julian
Julian marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
MB
MB added it
Jun 12, 2016
Lieselot
Lieselot marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
  • Broken World
  • Mercury
  • Airless Spaces
  • Singularities
Dodie Bellamy is an American novelist, nonfiction author, journalist and editor. Her work is frequently associated with that of Dennis Cooper, Kathy Acker, and Eileen Myles. She is one of the originators in the New Narrative literary movement, which attempts to use the tools of experimental fiction and critical theory and apply them to narrative storytelling.

She ist married to Kevin Killian.
More about Dodie Bellamy...