Start by marking “A Bad Man” as Want to Read:
A Bad Man

A Bad Man

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Breaking the law in a foolhardy attempt to accommodate his customers, unscrupulous department store owner Leo Feldman finds himself in jail and at the mercy of the warden, who tries to break Leo of his determination to stay bad.
Published September 1st 2003 by Dalkey Archive Press (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A Bad Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bad Man

MJ Nicholls
Last 45pp unread. No more please. Another virtuoso performance, with Elkin’s logorrhoeic shtick restrained for the first one hundred until his momentum builds and we have the unstoppable torrent of another fast-talking moral vacuum protagonist, and that maxi-prose with its descriptive prattle pumped to eleven until the skimming and eye-rolling begins. This novel is (for the first 200pp), a captivating and blackly comic romp inside a surreal prison, less interesting when depicting the protagonist ...more
Josh
An intimate epic of tragic hilarity. Elkin knows that the worst parts of us are hopelessly fused to our vigor and essence, and he writes about this sad, ridiculous truth with such understanding, empathy, pleasure, and dark humor. His exaggerated, impulsive characters and settings somehow avoid caricature and come much closer to our actual emotional lives than a lot of realist fiction. If my blather is not specific or concrete enough, I'll make a limited comparison. This book, in tone and style, ...more
Lemar
This is a really ambitious novel. That can mean a slog but in this case, minor slogging but primarily unexpected detours into in the sure hands of a good writer. As he talks about growing up in the midwest on the edge of the diaspora, his father selling reclaimed items from a pushcart, attempting to sell the "unsalable" item", he is able to express a moment that textbooks would fail to. The book is often funny and extremely odd as he uses the main character's year in prison to bring out what it ...more
Bruce

A fable, an allegory plumbing guilt, punishment, Judaism, and human wants. Set in a fantastic prison setting with a wayward warden who makes up the rules as he goes along, the protagonist stumbles through punishment that he doesn't understand, and that seems arbitrary. The setting, though not meant to be realistic, is dark and anxious, even paranoid. But the plot is so deliberately ridiculous and over-the-top that it isn't depressing.

Elkins is a tremendous writer with a striking talent for obse
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Must be a classic of what was then known as black humor. I do wish I had run across Elkin already back in the day when Vonnegut und Heller were staples of my diet.
Bill
strange - exuberant language wedded to what is ostensibly a prison and punishment story, but in which the prison exists in no real space or time, and which appears to be really a story of guilt and retribution related to the satisfaction of needs and desires. Almost a cross between Flann O'Brien and Philip Roth.
Derick Dupre
"i've been moved, roused. lumps in the throat and the heart's hard-on. i'm telling you something."
notgettingenough
I loved this when I read it, but I can't remember why. It's still on my shelves because I thought I'd read it again, but I'm a bit scared I'll change my mind about it. So it waits.
Sam
I read most of this but put it down and forgot about it. It was a good read for the most part. I will update the review if I ever finish it.
Mark Holtzen
Amazing writer. Another master of setting and plotline - I hadn't read any of his stuff before. Saw it on Writer's Almanac e-mail.
Leonard Pierce
I'd never heard of Elkin when I first read this book. He's now one of my favorites, and this book is hilarious and well-written.
H Anthony
H Anthony marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Andrew Skelton
Andrew Skelton marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
The
The marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Ethan
Ethan marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Mattia
Mattia marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Myles
Myles marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Jur
Jur marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Carina
Carina marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
N.W. Martin
N.W. Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • Five Spice Street
  • The Letters of William Gaddis
  • The Evolution Of Medieval Thought
  • Log of the S.S. the Mrs. Unguentine
Stanley Lawrence Elkin was a Jewish American novelist, short story writer, and essayist. His extravagant, satirical fiction revolves around American consumerism, popular culture, and male-female relationships.

During his career, Elkin published ten novels, two volumes of novellas, two books of short stories, a collection of essays, and one (unproduced) screenplay. Elkin's work revolves about Americ
More about Stanley Elkin...
The Living End The Magic Kingdom The Dick Gibson Show The Franchiser Mrs. Ted Bliss