Start by marking “Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)” as Want to Read:
Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)

Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan #6)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  1,029 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
He was one of the world's most skillful submariners, trained by the best in the business, the Royal Navy. Now, at the peak of his powers and skill, he finally comes into his own. For years, he has been a sleeper for the enemies of the West, now he has been given his orders and will carry them out with brutal efficiency, or die in the attempt. His target? The oil-supply ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 498 pages
Published June 29th 2004 by HarperTorch (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Barracuda 945, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barracuda 945

Neil
Interesting book. I think I may have read it before - some if it is very interesting, some of it is so, so. It was good, overall. Had a decent flow to it. Character development for the villain was the main focus of the first few chapters. It is 'funny' how many future terrorists are let into specialized British programs [he said with a smile on his face].

In this story, a Major in the SAS defects to Hamas because he feels a strange affinity to the people in Palestine. He hooks up with the widow o
Simon
Oct 11, 2012 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up on my way through Singapore in 2009, thinking that with Admiral Sandy Woodward of Falklands War fame as an advisor, it would be pretty good. Not only is it not, but I could also see why other commanders in the fleet were worried that Woodward, with limited aviation or amphibious experience, be the wrong guy for the job: once the plot puts to sea the whole premise is based on the ‘fact’ that the US Navy is the only service in the US DoD which helps the story along by skipping ...more
Henri Moreaux
I last read this book in May 2011, it was the first Patrick Robinson book I had read at the time and since then I've read the series from Nimitz Class onwards and reached this title earlier this month. I was wondering about whether to re-read it or not but figured it wouldn't be bad to refresh my memory for the following title.

I'm glad I did as it certainly is an action filled tale of terrorism and undersea skulduggery. The story revolves around an SAS soldier who defects to HAMAS and employs hi
Yuri Yulaev
May 07, 2013 Yuri Yulaev rated it it was ok
The premise of this book is very interesting - a mid-level SAS officer crosses the lines and joins Hamas. That in itself makes this book worth reading. Book overall is great, not very deep in details (but that probably should be expected), but a typical cat-and-mouse, spy vs. spy type novel. One incorrect technical detail I noticed was about the ability to turn off the GPS system to render missiles useless. Book states that even the President of the USA cannot do it. AFAIK, it is technically ...more
Robert Dunlap
Aug 16, 2013 Robert Dunlap rated it liked it
I enjoy the way Robinson uses his characters to bash the Carter and Clinton administrations. They deserve it. Admirals Morris and Morgan might be a bit typecast, and yet I find I'd like to be like them!

Odd, too, that the INS Sindhurakshak just caught fire and sank, but started out life as a Kilo class sub. It makes me think, with respect to the series overall, not in particular of this book, that there may be more truth than fiction in these.
Santosh Kumar
Jan 25, 2016 Santosh Kumar rated it it was ok
Highly disappointed after reading this book. had very high regards for Robinson after reading his earlier books and blindly picked this book going by his reputation but was gravely disappointed by the book. There is nothing much to be written about this book. The plot sucks and you whats going to happen next with having to take a wild guess :-(. I would recommend Robinson fans to give a skip to this book...Seriously.
Joe Newell
Jan 05, 2014 Joe Newell rated it liked it
A good, methodical story line which step by step unfolds the actions of a Westerner turned Hamas leader and his planned attack on America, and simultaneously follows the actions of the US government to stop the attacks and kill the attacker.

It was good enough reading. I didn't so much like the ending. I dislike when authors don't have a clean and final ending. Here, like so many, the Author was obviously penning for a sequel. Booo. Don't do that!!!
Mike
Feb 20, 2012 Mike rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, terrible
This book is at best a very watered down version of a Tom Clancy novel. The author drags out a somewhat simple story for a few hundred pages by adding military, political, and social details; most of which he simply makes up. I might have been able to look past all of this, but the ending of this book never happened. The bad guy didn't really win, but he wasn't caught either. The author goes off on a tangent that was implausible and silly. Reading this book was a waste of time.
Nathan Pinno
Sep 23, 2010 Nathan Pinno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes military fiction.
Shelves: fiction, military
Another great work of military fiction from Patrick Robinson! Centered around Special Forces and naval operations as usual, this book kept my reading it from beginning to end. I only stopped reading whenever I left my place or went to bed. If you want a good book to read, I highly recommend this one - but you should read the others before it so you can understand the main characters better!
Balthazar Lawson
There were several aspects to this book that I found annoying, didn't add to the tension and would have been more suited to a movie script than a book. Other facts were repeated over and over and it all seemed that this book was padded out to meet a predetermined length. I found it disappointing as I've read a few books by Patrick Robinson and this was just a poor effort. It was barely tolerable.
Pete
Jan 07, 2016 Pete rated it did not like it
Shelves: military
Robinson has some writing skills but unfortunately he has a habit of creating completely implausible plots that lack logic. To his credit he didn't overwhelm the reader with military techno jargon in this novel but at times it seemed like the story was a geography lesson. Robinson took time to lampoon Bill Clinton and that may have been the highlight of this book.
Joe Duboulay
Mar 07, 2014 Joe Duboulay rated it really liked it
Like a cat and mouse game, except the cat and mouse get mixed up at times. Good characters pulling off a believable terrorist strike. This was my first Robinson novel and probably won't be my last.
Dan
Mar 25, 2014 Dan rated it liked it
Good story. Laboriously long read, way to much detail. It does make
you wonder just how vulnerable the United States is to attack. Could
some rogue force really raise havoc to the power grid and the crude oil
supply?
Denis
Jun 20, 2014 Denis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the second star is only because David McCallum does an excellent job of narration of this sad piece of work, create by pasting unbelievable parts together to create a story that feels almost a parody of the genre.
Mike
Oct 17, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Good tale, same group of "heros" with another naval mystery to research and prevent. Generally well-written series and this book is a fine member of that family.

The plotting and premise are excellent.
David
Mar 22, 2016 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1st read completed 2004-8-12
2nd read 2016-03-11 to 2016-03-16

While written as a "future history", takes just a "little" issue with former Presidents and their conduct in office. Seemed gratuitous to me.
Griff
Jan 30, 2009 Griff rated it it was ok
Former British SAS turns Hamas terrorist and plays havoc on western US with russian nuclear submarine. A simple and entertaining read
John
Jul 22, 2007 John rated it it was ok
Yawn! Some nice action, but he paints all the background... but no foreground. Where's the the big plot with twists and turns?
Lis
Dec 31, 2015 Lis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, english-books
Finora il peggior romanzo di Patrick Robison: va bene scrivere libri ripetitivi e prevedibili, ma questo non ha neanche un finale...
Robb Menlove
May 23, 2014 Robb Menlove rated it it was ok
That guy knows how to tell a good sub story. I can't give it a higher rating as long as he thinks a military book requires the use of fowl language. It does not.
Don Westman
Don Westman rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2011
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
Damien Collins
Damien Collins rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Tom Arcati
Tom Arcati rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
George
George rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2013
TominSac
TominSac rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Shane
Shane rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2011
حسن العزاوي
حسن العزاوي rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Bruce
Bruce rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • Sea Fighter (Amanda Garrett, #3)
  • Larry Bond's First Team (Larry Bond's First Team, #1)
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • Terminal Run
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)
  • Countdown (Kirk McGarvey #2)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...

Admiral Arnold Morgan (10 books)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)