Start by marking “The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me” as Want to Read:
The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me

The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  15,764 Ratings  ·  765 Reviews
When Billy joins the Ladderless Window-Cleaning Company, he gets a lot more than a new job. First he makes three new friends, then it's time to get to work cleaning all 677 windows of the Duke of Hampshire's house. The Duke is not only the most wealthy man in the country, he's also the most generous. Can he make Billy's lifelong dream come true?
Published September 1st 1998 by Puffin (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me, please sign up.

Rahdi Hossain Raahi It's about a small boy who gets along with animals and goes to Duke of Hampshire. The story is simple, a very short one in terms of length, yet it's…moreIt's about a small boy who gets along with animals and goes to Duke of Hampshire. The story is simple, a very short one in terms of length, yet it's very beautiful!(less)

Jo Woolfardis
A short story about a Giraffe, Pelican and Monkey who open up a ladderless window cleaning company, who become friendly with a small boy called Billy. It's full of all the Dahlian humour and whimsy and nonsense, but like always it has a nice serious edge to it.

Very charming, though definitely not his best and quite unsubstantial in reality. In general, it's written as well as all his others but I think the emphasis on the whimsy really helped this particular story, especially since it was more a
MJ Nicholls
Sent to Andrea Messent at Darren and Associates:

Dear Darren & Associates,

It is with some regret that I sit down to write this correspondence. I understand your reluctance to read voluminous missives so I will keep this missive as unchunky as my e-pen allows.

On Sep 4th 2010 I sent to your agency, via recorded delivery, my novel When Bees Attack. I sent this following a verbal agreement between myself and your agent Cariller Cray when I met her at a catered affair for Bernard Share’s eightieth
Amina
Jun 24, 2016 Amina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Friendship is an amazing thing to share! The duke was a bit crazy, but the great kind of crazy :D
And the closing poem, or song earned the book its forth star!

"We have tears in our eyes
As we wave our good byes
We so love being with you, we three
Come and see us again
The giraffe and the pelly and me

All you do is to look
At a page in this book
Because that's where we always will be
No book never ends
When it's full of your friends
The giraffe and the pelly and me"
Librariasaurus
May 19, 2015 Librariasaurus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story! The friendships are great and the duke is a weird eccentric old guy, which I love! Eccentric old people are the best!
I also loved the closing poem:

We have tears in our eyes,
As we wave our goodbyes,
We so loved being with you, we three.
Come and see us again,
The giraffe and the Pelly and me.

All you do is to look
At a page in this book
Because that's where we always will be.
No book ever ends
When it's full of your friends
The giraffe and the Pelly a
Prashant
Another short, well illustrated book by Roald Dahl. It's about a kid who after seeing an old closed sweet shop in his neighborhood gets the desire to own it and convert it into the most beautiful sweet shop of his own. One day when he finds out that the house has been bought by a giraffe, a pelican and a monkey , he meets them and they become instant friends. The story goes about how they get to meet a duke and how the boy finally fulfills him dream.

The book is written as if it were a poem. The
Minh Trang
May 02, 2016 Minh Trang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Các bạn có thích cửa sổ nhà mình luôn luôn sáng bóng không? Các bạn có thích nhà mình luôn luôn được quét dọn sạch sẽ không? Vậy xin mời các bạn hãy tìm đến “Công ty lau cửa sổ không cần thang” của Hươu cao cô, chim Bồ nông và tôi."

Một đoạn quảng cáo nghe thật là bùi tai :)) 3 con thú dễ thương gồm Hươu cao cổ, Chim bồ nông và Khỉ mua lại một ngôi nhà vốn là tiệm kẹo cũ, sau đó mở công ty lau cửa sổ không cần thang. Một ngày, chúng gặp chú bé Billy và rủ chú nhập hội với mình.

"Công ty" của nhóm
Hayel Barakat
Dec 29, 2015 Hayel Barakat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hayel by: Haneen Najeh
Shelves: روايات
What a book!

Reminds me of my childhood where simplicity and purity taking place.

A great memory!

“We have tears in our eyes
As we wave our goodbyes,
We so loved being with you, we three.
Come and see us again,
The Giraffe and the Pelly and me.

"All you do is to look
At a page in this book
Because that’s where we always will be.
No book ever ends
When it’s full of your friends
The Giraffe and the Pelly and me.”
Karla
Feb 29, 2012 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-kiddies
Three entrepreneurial critters team up with a sweet-tooth little boy to wash windows and happen to bust a criminal in the middle of a burglary. Typical Roald Dahl daftery.

The story itself was 3 stars, but Hugh Laurie's narration made it extra fun. There's something about his voice that is perfectly suited to Dahl's nonsense candy names.
Zohreh Hanifeh
Dec 27, 2016 Zohreh Hanifeh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
دنیای رولد دال خیلی قشنگه. جایی که همه با توانایی های منحصر به فردشون و همون جوری که خودشون هستن ارزشمندن و مفید واقع میشن.
Miranda ❤️
Oct 01, 2016 Miranda ❤️ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review to come...
Haneen Najeh
Dec 29, 2015 Haneen Najeh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
A wonderful story, it reminded me of a movie which called "Pai" which i watched once.
it was the first experiance with Roald Dahl but definatly it won't be the last

i enjoyed it :)
Sophia
B.R.A.CE. 2017 ένα βιβλίο που θα έπρεπε να έχεις διαβάσει στο σχολείο

Τι ωραία ιστορία! παιδική, εκπαιδευτική κι απολαυστική! Για κάποιο λόγο ενώ το διάβαζα "έπαιζα" τις φωνές στο μυαλό μου κι απολάμβανα κάθε διάλογο!
Roos
Feb 06, 2009 Roos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenlit, 2009
Zoe Hall
Dec 27, 2016 Zoe Hall rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
So I vowed to go on a childhood literary journey which saw me reread all of the Harry Potter books in the summer and now I plan on reading Roald Dahl's work. I thought I would start off with a short story, which I've got to say, I don't really remember reading but alas, here I am at 23 reigniting my love for Dahl's whimsical imagination.

This is a lovely story about friendship found in the most surreal circumstances. A child called Billy with a fondness for sweets, wishes the old 'Grubber' shop
Jessica Gillies
Feb 28, 2017 Jessica Gillies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books

A Roald Dahl book read by Hugh Laurie? Yes please. So much fun, Roald Dahl's trademark quirkiness is at play, it had me smiling much of the way through :)
Sagheer Chaudhry
Aug 31, 2015 Sagheer Chaudhry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl’s ‘The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me’ tells the story of a young boy named Billy and his dream to transform an old empty wooden house into a sweet shop that would consist of Sherbet Suckers, Caramel Fudge, Russian Toffee, Sugar Snorters and Butter Gumballs along with many many more different sweets. One day Billy, visited the shop and out of the corner of his eye Billy noticed one of the windows open and out of it appeared a Giraffe. Then a second and third window opened and out them a ...more
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Have you read this delightful story of the Ladderless Window-Cleaning Company? If you haven't, then better snap up this book; so for only a few precious minutes, you can pretend that everything in the world isn't as awful as it seems.

Dean Barber
Oct 29, 2013 Dean Barber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me' by Roald Dahl tells the tale of a young boy named Billy who, whilst staring at a derelict sweet shop dreams that one day he will own his own which would be 'loaded from top to bottom with Sherbet Suckers, and Caramel Fudge and Russian Toffee and Sugar Snorters and Butter Gumballs and thousands and thousands of other glorious things like that'.

One day he finds that the derelict shop has some new residents by the way of a giraffe, pelican and monkey who just so
Gary
Feb 19, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Billy, a young boy, comes across an old sweet shop which he dreams about renovating. Peering out the windows he finds a giraffe, pelican and monkey. Who are they, Billy wonders?! They are the world’s best window cleaning company of course! After working for the richest man in England, all of the members of the window cleaning company are rewarded individually; Billy’s reward is the purchase of the sweet shop he so long desired.

Throughout their short adventure the characters sing short, catchy so
Niamh Delahunty
Jun 06, 2012 Niamh Delahunty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story begins with the introduction of a little boy that lives next to an old shut-down building that used to be a candy shop. Then one day he sees that the building has been cleaned up and now has a sign on it "Ladderless Window Cleaning Company". The cleaning company consists of a pelican, a monkey, and a giraffe. And the little boy is whisked away on a window cleaning adventure that in the end makes all his dreams come true.

This is a cute, short novel and one of my favourites from my own
Siobhan
Ah, Roald Dahl, the soundtrack of my childhood.

I’m fairly certain my entire generation picked up a Dahl book throughout their childhood. Dahl books are great for kids, made up of interesting events which capture the imagination. They’re the kind of books that you can look back on when you’re older and smile as you remember the events which played out, knowing that these are books you’re going to pass on to future generations.

In short, as a large part of my childhood, Dahl is a must read in my ey
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This one's pretty tame compared to other Dahl stories. Definitely meant for a younger audience. Nothing evil or creepy or bizarre. Just a sweet story about a giraffe, a pelican, and a monkey who start a window-washing business, and a little boy named Billy who wants to own a candy store. The pelican saves the day for one of their very wealthy customers by catching a thief in his beak. All are richly rewarded for their part in foiling the theft, and Billy gets to fulfill his dream of having a swe ...more
Mariah
Jan 21, 2017 Mariah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an extremely cute book. I read this book as an adult, for me, by me, with no one else. As an adult I forget how fun it is to read children's chapter books. It brings back memories of when I was in elementary school. Roald Dahl was my favorite author and Matilda was my favorite book of all time in elementary school. My new goal is read every book by him!

I suggest this book to anyone that wants a quick, fun read :)
Melica
Feb 02, 2015 Melica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it when I was 7 or 8 and I loved it, I've dreamed of going to the sweet shop a lot! It's such a sweet story to me!
Jerry
Mar 31, 2016 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and amusing, with lively illustrations.
Ravi Gangwani
Mar 21, 2015 Ravi Gangwani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most cutest book I have read since long :)
Maria Burnham
Mar 12, 2017 Maria Burnham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The kids and I just finished reading this Roald Dahl book. It's a cute, silly little story of a giraffe, a pelican, a monkey and a boy who form an unlikely friendship. We loved it! We read it in about four sittings at bedtime:)
Selcoline
Oct 12, 2016 Selcoline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yavaş yavaş Roald Dahl hayranlığım artıyor, Esraaaa kendime inanamıyorum :)))
bakanekonomama
The Giraffe and The Pelly and Me bercerita tentang Jerapah, Pelikan, dan tokoh Aku. Tapi ada satu karakter lagi yang 'lupa' dimasukkan ke judul, si Monyet. Mereka bertiga adalah tiga sekawan hewan-hewan yang membuka sebuah perusahaan bernama, Perusahaan Pembersih Jendela Tanpa Tangga. Kebayang nggak sih, binatang-binatang yang harusnya masuk ke kebun binatang ini malah jadi tukang bersih-bersih? Tapi, memang begitulah adanya...

Ketiga hewan ini baru saja pindah ke kota tempat Billy tinggal. Merek
Sep 02, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl’s books are known and loved for their creative and imaginative storylines, and “The Giraffe and The Pelly and Me” is no exception. This is amongst Roald Dahl’s finest work and I would highly recommend it as it is an enjoyable read for parents and children alike. In comparison to his other books, it is slightly tamer and therefore may be aimed at a slightly younger audience, most likely lower Key Stage Two. In addition, Quentin Blake’s illustrations are instantly recognisable, and char ...more
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Zelie's Book Review 2 1 3 Aug 29, 2014 05:18AM
  • I Was a Rat!
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • Sophie Hits Six (Sophie, #3)
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • My Naughty Little Sister (Naughty Little Sister, #1)
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • Harry and the Wrinklies
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • Madicken dan Lisabet
  • The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)
  • The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark
  • I, Houdini
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)

More about Roald Dahl...

“All you do is to look / At a page in this book / Because that's where we always will be. / No book ever ends / When it's full of your friends / The Giraffe and the Pelly and me.” 87 likes
“the world is a scary place for such a small child” 6 likes