Start by marking “Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)

Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,489 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
The US Department of Defense is well aware of China's intention to shut the US Carrier Battle Groups out of the Taiwan Strait and then to reclaim, by military force if necessary, the rich independent island that sits only one hundred miles off China's eastern coastline. A strike force of patrolling Kilos could achieve that objective for Beijing, and two of the ten Kilos ha ...more
Published March 3rd 1999 by HarperPaperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Kilo Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kilo Class

Jeff Brateman
Mar 21, 2010 Jeff Brateman rated it did not like it
Terrible, absolutely terrible. The plot had promise, but huge gaps in the story and timeline did little to improve the crappiness. I think the author tries to write like Tom Clancy's "what if" style, but he just really sucked.
Sep 19, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it
A nice page-turner. Arnold Morgan is quite the character yet again in his hard-nose approach to Russian military maneuvers and dealing with the increasing threat poised by China. This story includes ice adventures under the North Pole and explosive actions near the South Pole; special military agents working undercover in Russia to destroy submarines being sold to China, and tracking the efforts of Taiwan to develop their own nuclear capabilities. While the story is fictional, Robinson has resea ...more
Feb 03, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing
This was my first Patrick Robinson book and I wasn't sure I'd like it because it had to do with submarines and other things I don't normally read about. Oh was I wrong - this book had me hooked from the beginning! Robinson takes you through the story and thankfully explains the workings of our Navy's nuclear submarines (which fascinated me) and introduces everyone to the hard-nosed Admiral Arnold Morgan (my new favorite man). I could not put this book down and am actually going to read it again ...more
This is the second book written by Patrick Robinson and I enjoyed it more the second time reading it than I did the first time. However, I do not know if I can quite put it at four stars, so I will leave it at three. I felt it had a good pace to it up until the end, when it ends rather abruptly. The character development is okay - some characters from the first novel return and there are plenty of new characters for this novel.

The first two books involve 'what if' scenarios as the author tries t
Fabian Davy
Dec 04, 2010 Fabian Davy rated it liked it
'Kilo Class' by all means is a very specific military (Navy) action-thriller that catered to that very reader(ship) group. Which leaves about almost all of us a bit alienated by the terms and turn of events that unfold in the story. I am not really sure if Robinson was trying to appeal to a wider demographic or bigger scope of readers with this book, because reading through it, I cannot help but to be confused with many things, except if I were a serviceman. As of any other books, the first few ...more
Frederick Bingham
This is an interesting book about submarine warfare in the post Cold War era. The Russians have several extra kilo class diesel electric submarines that they have decided to sell to the Chinese. The problem is that they have to deliver them from the shipyards on the Volga River to China. The US does not want the submarines delivered because they believe the Chinese will use them to block off the Taiwan Straits and trade for Taiwan. So the US has to destroy the submarines as they are being delive ...more
Jan 18, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it
This was a silly book. Premise: China has ordered some super-submarines from Russia. These will be able to destroy US naval power in Asia. So the US goes and sinks them. Just like that. No hassle at all. So what was the danger? Who knows? Robinson has sometimes been accuse of writing satires of the Clancy-style techno thriler, and you can see why: the Americans are all 6'2" tall, built like linebackers and have gorgeous ex-actor wives. Their boss is a cigar chomping xenophobe who rants and raves ...more
Mar 22, 2015 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: military-fiction
It was a little far fetched but an okay read. It seemed very neat, and wrapped up in the novel but the basic components of the storyline did work. I think that ill probably continue reading the series to see how the characters develop and how the author is able to continue the integration of them. Worth a look if you like this type of book, as a enjoyer of military fiction i certainly had no issues reading it
Madhusudan Chokhra
Aug 07, 2016 Madhusudan Chokhra rated it really liked it
A good thriller. But a one sided story. How can US personnel even get near to Russian made submarines, moreover which are going to supplied to China, both arch rivals.
But other than its practical accuracy, book is good.
Oct 05, 2015 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Great story line but a little too much detail for my liking. I had to skim through the superfluous dialogue and info or I would have given up on the book altogether. The parts I chose to read completely were compelling.
Deborah Stone
Apr 12, 2016 Deborah Stone rated it it was amazing
Very technical, fascinating. I found myself reading with an Atlas at hand so I could look up the locations of the military missions and track their progress. The series so far does not disappoint.
Jan 01, 2016 Lis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un romanzo "alla Clancy" ma meno convincente, meno realistico e con un finale troppo "telefonato".
Resta comunque una piacevole lettura per svagarsi un po', se vi piace il genere.
Jul 05, 2014 Tim rated it liked it
Lots of interesting parts to the story that kept me turning pages. Some parts were a little tedious but the unanswered questions kept me reading to the end. Great read if you are into Naval operations.
Jul 18, 2013 John rated it liked it
The book started well, better written than its predecessor. I really enjoyed the background story and how everything was (a little predictably) playing out. Then the end came, and it came abruptly. All that backstory was resolved in a few short sentences, to my mind, quite unsatisfactorily.

My other nit is that Robinson seems to think all Americans cuss quite a lot, which is counter to my experience, especially for people in power which are the primary people he is dealing with in these books.

Dec 01, 2015 Jason rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, well written and tied together. Great ending.
Henri Moreaux
Whilst initially a little slow to begin, once started this was an excellent story. Some people may classify it as a "techno thriller" however in my mind it is merely a modern novel about submarine warfare.

The premise is rather straight forward, China intends to purchase a number of Kilo class submarines from Russia and the United States view is that this would destabilise the region and as such decides to put a stop to the transaction. Commence undersea submarine shenanigans.

Overall, good plot,
Jan 21, 2015 Tom rated it liked it
Another good submarine thriller
Jul 09, 2010 Erik rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
This was a very good military thriller. The story was utterly plausible which is sometimes not the case with books in the genre. I liked the secondary story that took place in the Southern Ocean, although seemingly unrelated to the main story of the Chinese Kilo's, it was tied in nicely at the end. The only negative thing I have to say about this book is that it betrays the US military and political machine as being WAY too efficient.
May 30, 2015 Crt rated it really liked it
A great entertaining read. Action packed, with a bunch of irascible characters. Some stuff if fancy or, but who cares, it's just a novel !
Mar 04, 2015 Cynthia rated it really liked it
I liked this second in the series. The detail in his writing when describing the SEALs carrying the canisters and the set-up for the destruction of the Kilo's was great. I almost felt as if I was carrying all those canisters!
Feb 22, 2016 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First read in 2000 - in paperback - probably as an "airport" or "travel" read. Probably read Nimitz Class first. After that, I've looked for Patrick Robinson's books from time to time. Interesting stories. Minor suspension of belief required. And no way Admiral Morgan exists in US Government in the 1990s/2000s.
Second (?) read finished 2016-01-23 in Kindle App
Jan 07, 2016 Pete rated it really liked it
Shelves: military
This novel is basically an extension of Nimitz Class with many of the same characters. Both books are very good reads. Nimitz is probably the more personal of the two as the Americans were the victims in that story. In Kilo Class the Americans are the aggressors and the plot is more involved with both the Chinese and Russians involved.
Aug 14, 2008 Ty rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: fiction, action
Believable, entertaining, fast paced and fun. Very good book. My only complaint would be that it ended in something of a hurry. Would have been nice to have an ending developed as well as the rest of the book.
Jan 11, 2015 Wardy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robinson-p, scanned
Considering it's year of publication this is an interesting read and sets out a plausible plot. Anyone who has served at sea knows that the only good submarine is the one that is sunk!
Mike Grady
May 12, 2013 Mike Grady rated it really liked it
Shelves: current-year
After a bit of a slow start, the story picks up and becomes a quick page-turner. I am curious to see how this story fits in with the storyline of Patrick Robinson's other works.
Feb 19, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"The US sinks 7 Russian made Kilo subs on order from China. All to prevent China from controlling the water around Taiwan. Nearly all focused on the military and naval story, it
  • Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan, #12)
  • Attack of the Seawolf
  • Sea Fighter (Amanda Garrett, #3)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
  • Crush Depth (Jeffrey Fuller, #3)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...

Admiral Arnold Morgan (10 books)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)