Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)

Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  982 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The US Department of Defense is well aware of China's intention to shut the US Carrier Battle Groups out of the Taiwan Strait and then to reclaim, by military force if necessary, the rich independent island that sits only one hundred miles off China's eastern coastline. A strike force of patrolling Kilos could achieve that objective for Beijing, and two of the ten Kilos ha...more
Published March 1st 2000 by HarperPaperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Kilo Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kilo Class

Jeff Brateman
Terrible, absolutely terrible. The plot had promise, but huge gaps in the story and timeline did little to improve the crappiness. I think the author tries to write like Tom Clancy's "what if" style, but he just really sucked.
Neil
This is the second book written by Patrick Robinson and I enjoyed it more the second time reading it than I did the first time. However, I do not know if I can quite put it at four stars, so I will leave it at three. I felt it had a good pace to it up until the end, when it ends rather abruptly. The character development is okay - some characters from the first novel return and there are plenty of new characters for this novel.

The first two books involve 'what if' scenarios as the author tries t...more
Fabian Davy
'Kilo Class' by all means is a very specific military (Navy) action-thriller that catered to that very reader(ship) group. Which leaves about almost all of us a bit alienated by the terms and turn of events that unfold in the story. I am not really sure if Robinson was trying to appeal to a wider demographic or bigger scope of readers with this book, because reading through it, I cannot help but to be confused with many things, except if I were a serviceman. As of any other books, the first few...more
Frederick Bingham
This is an interesting book about submarine warfare in the post Cold War era. The Russians have several extra kilo class diesel electric submarines that they have decided to sell to the Chinese. The problem is that they have to deliver them from the shipyards on the Volga River to China. The US does not want the submarines delivered because they believe the Chinese will use them to block off the Taiwan Straits and trade for Taiwan. So the US has to destroy the submarines as they are being delive...more
Nathan
This was a silly book. Premise: China has ordered some super-submarines from Russia. These will be able to destroy US naval power in Asia. So the US goes and sinks them. Just like that. No hassle at all. So what was the danger? Who knows? Robinson has sometimes been accuse of writing satires of the Clancy-style techno thriler, and you can see why: the Americans are all 6'2" tall, built like linebackers and have gorgeous ex-actor wives. Their boss is a cigar chomping xenophobe who rants and raves...more
Tim
Lots of interesting parts to the story that kept me turning pages. Some parts were a little tedious but the unanswered questions kept me reading to the end. Great read if you are into Naval operations.
John
The book started well, better written than its predecessor. I really enjoyed the background story and how everything was (a little predictably) playing out. Then the end came, and it came abruptly. All that backstory was resolved in a few short sentences, to my mind, quite unsatisfactorily.

My other nit is that Robinson seems to think all Americans cuss quite a lot, which is counter to my experience, especially for people in power which are the primary people he is dealing with in these books.

Ro...more
Henri Moreaux
Whilst initially a little slow to begin, once started this was an excellent story. Some people may classify it as a "techno thriller" however in my mind it is merely a modern novel about submarine warfare.

The premise is rather straight forward, China intends to purchase a number of Kilo class submarines from Russia and the United States view is that this would destabilise the region and as such decides to put a stop to the transaction. Commence undersea submarine shenanigans.

Overall, good plot,...more
Erik
This was a very good military thriller. The story was utterly plausible which is sometimes not the case with books in the genre. I liked the secondary story that took place in the Southern Ocean, although seemingly unrelated to the main story of the Chinese Kilo's, it was tied in nicely at the end. The only negative thing I have to say about this book is that it betrays the US military and political machine as being WAY too efficient.
Ty
Aug 14, 2008 Ty rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: fiction, action
Believable, entertaining, fast paced and fun. Very good book. My only complaint would be that it ended in something of a hurry. Would have been nice to have an ending developed as well as the rest of the book.
Wardy
Considering it's year of publication this is an interesting read and sets out a plausible plot. Anyone who has served at sea knows that the only good submarine is the one that is sunk!
Mike Grady
After a bit of a slow start, the story picks up and becomes a quick page-turner. I am curious to see how this story fits in with the storyline of Patrick Robinson's other works.
Jim
"The US sinks 7 Russian made Kilo subs on order from China. All to prevent China from controlling the water around Taiwan. Nearly all focused on the military and naval story, it
Nathan Pinno
Sep 20, 2010 Nathan Pinno rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes military fiction books.
Shelves: military, fiction
Another great novel by Patrick Robinson! This book was fantastic to read, and I enjoyed it very much. It will be added to my Amazon.ca wish list as soon as I can!
Jay
Not a bad book, I have read it before but had forgotten most of the story. Navy combat is always and interest of mine. This made for a very enjoyable book.
BoekenTrol
Still remember why I bought this book: Russia, espionage, submarines... I read it but have to read it again. Where did my brain hide all these years??
Chris
Former Royal Navy Admiral who writes rather indistinguishable novels. If you have read one, you have read all of them. Unfortunately, i have read all of them.
Steve Markham
Not a bad book but not quite as good as the first. Not entirely sure why I just didn't get in to it as much. Will give the third one a try though.
Craig
Jonathan Yu
Conservative, anti-Chinese backwash but rip roaring fun. I love the part about black russian bread.
Mark Polino
Recently reread. Some parts of it held up well. Other pieces were cheesier than I remember.
Namelinda
very suspenseful book on CD about submarines. Read by my fave narrator: George Guidall
Lindsey
Jun 22, 2010 Lindsey added it
Shelves: fiction
Action, adventure, submarines, bad guys... what could go wrong?
Griff
Quick, fun read about Russian sale of subs to Chinese
Drew
Exciting action, broad sweep, good characters.
Greg
Robinson always spins a great tale.
Ryan
On of the better Robinson novels.
Clyde
Continues to be exciting.
Mark Huntington
Interesting at times.
Shorewalker
Good page turner.
  • Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)
  • Fortunes of War
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...
Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1) H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3) U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4) Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6) The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)