Start by marking “Talking to the Moon” as Want to Read:
Talking to the Moon

Talking to the Moon

When Jory Lalaban, a Filipino postman, finds himself the target of a racially motivated shooting, he is forced to confront long buried memories of his life in the Philippines — how he came to abandon the priesthood to become a worshipper of the Moon; his youth in an orphanage after World War II; the devastating "curse" that forced him and his new bride, Belen, to flee the ...more
Published January 3rd 2007 by Carroll & Graf (first published January 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Talking to the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking to the Moon

Mikey and the Chickadee by Kid BoiseThe Two Krishnas by Ghalib Shiraz DhallaWallflower by Heidi BelleauCalendar Boy by Andy QuanConfessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima
Gaysia
25th out of 36 books — 10 voters
Bareback by Chris OwenFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsCut & Run by Abigail RouxKeeping Promise Rock by Amy LaneBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. Klune
Best Gay Tear Jerker with a Happy Ending
335th out of 437 books — 786 voters

More lists with this book...

Athena
Dec 31, 2008 Athena rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in asian-american or filipino-american literature or queer coming-of-age stories
Shelves: filipiniana, novels
This novel is loosely based on the 1999 racially motivated shooting of Filipino-American postal worker Joseph Ileto and several people at a Jewish community center in the LA area. Alumit uses a fictionalized version of that event as a departure point for the story of a Filipino-American family (father, mother, adult gay son, and dead brother) where loss, spirituality, and sexuality are major themes. It's a compelling story, and the characters and the relationships between them are fairly well de ...more
Jimmie
Oct 20, 2009 Jimmie rated it it was amazing
Inspired by the murder of Joseph Ileto, the Filipino-American postman murdered by white supremacist Buford Furrow in 1999, Noel Alumit's second novel begins under similar circumstances: Jory Lalaban is shot multiple times by a racist thug while delivering mail. Jory, clinging to life in the hospital, is comforted and kept company by his wife Belen and their younger son, Emerson.

As Jory recuperates, the story veers back and forth in time, sometimes from one sentence to the next and back again. Jo
Andrew Brandon
Nov 23, 2014 Andrew Brandon rated it it was amazing
A moving and powerful story. The characters are beautiful and endearing. Alumit is a master storyteller.
Robert Mooney
Aug 15, 2011 Robert Mooney rated it really liked it
I loved Alumit's "Letters to Montgomery Clift" so I was happy to find this on the shelves at The Strand. This book has magic, just like LTMC, but some of the situations are rushed to conclusion and seem a bit unbelievable or improbable, even for a book with magic. That said, Alumit has a way of creating characters you can't help but fall in love with. More than once I was on the verge of tears. I can't say I don't love this book; I just can't say it's great.
Eric Rittenhouse
Jul 01, 2009 Eric Rittenhouse rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book! Noel is a fantastic writer and I hope he continues to write books. I fell in love with every character and felt like I was part of the family. It was cleverly told through everyone's eyes which I loved as well. As I was reading I kept picturing it as a movie, but the more I think about it, maybe a stage play would be better suited... either way, this is a story that i believe should and will be retold through another medium!
Larry
Sep 13, 2007 Larry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
this book is a good read especially for anyone that enjoys Slice of Life stories. The author is philapino and gay as is the son in the story. It is the story of how the son and mother deal with the father being shot by accident in a hate crime shooting. It also deals with the son dealing with the way he has been treated by society,his parents,religion and lovers. I liked it and would be interested in any of his other books.
Mar 20, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
This is Alumit's second novel. When the patriarch of a Filipino family is shot, the rest of his family (his wife and son) are forced to deal with the past and the present. This novel extensively discusses race, religion, and sexuality. I liked it, even though it was kind of sad.
bruin
May 20, 2008 bruin rated it really liked it
this book is gorgeous, thoughtful, and haunting. delicious writing and a complicated deep cast of characters.
Roland
Feb 28, 2012 Roland rated it really liked it
Very good. Great characters.
Joel Piers g
Joel Piers g marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Judy Faltz
Judy Faltz rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Scott Grunthaner
Scott Grunthaner marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Chelsea Sutton
Chelsea Sutton rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Will Owen
Will Owen rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Nocturnalux
Nocturnalux marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Vinz Michael
Vinz Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Charlie Price
Charlie Price marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Rohan Zhou-lee
Rohan Zhou-lee marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Chris Lawton
Chris Lawton rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
Chris Lawton
Chris Lawton rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Cyle Zezotarski
Cyle Zezotarski rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

“Instead, Emerson came to accept that when someone dies, things that belong to you disappear, too.” 2 likes