Start by marking “44 Irish Short Stories” as Want to Read:
44 Irish Short Stories

44 Irish Short Stories

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  13 reviews

The Irish have always had a way with words. Long ago they took on a language not their own and learned to re-word it into pure magic. Nowhere is this magic more in evidence than in their short stories—stories that combine lyricism, humor and tragedy with rare imagination set in simple backgrounds, largely without props.
The seemingly effortless art of the best Irish writer

Published March 2nd 1999 by Konecky & Konecky (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about 44 Irish Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 44 Irish Short Stories

Kathy
I thought this would be a perfect book to read before my trip to Ireland. I especially enjoyed Yeats, Wilde and O'Kelly.
Martin
i have the feeling this book was published in the 1950s, judging from the authors, which are primarily from the first half of the twentieth century, covering subject matter that is even earlier. so the book is an interesting introduction to a variety of authors i've not encountered before, which is always interesting. that said, it's still fairly uneven, and sometimes you get a little tired of the stock country characters and a bit too much of the "begorrah". still, any collection that includes ...more
David Vanness
An interesting collection of 5 to 25 page shorts. The subtitle is "An Anthology of Irish Short Fiction from Yeats to Frank O'Conner". Of the 33 different authors, I enjoyed Oscar Wilde's as much as any. I found most of the shorts enjoyable. Finished my day with one each night. Am loaning to a interested lady at next bookclub meeting. I do like shorts. Back in the 60's I subscribed to "SHORT STORY INTERNATIONAL".
CJ Bowen
Some really neat tales in here, and very little fluff. Yeats unfortunately closes the book with some odd clunkers, but most of the stories are quite fun, including a Christmas story that will likely become part of my yearly read-aloud stories. Good show.
George
Read the book after a trip to Ireland. Some of the stories were hard to follow, but fun after having been to some of the locations.
Dana
A delightful book when you need a quick escape but don't have time to read an entire novel.
Miranda
Really like this collection of stories, wide variety of snapshots of Irish life.
Frank Peters
This is an excellent set of short stories, and a great introduction to Irish fiction.
Patricia
Some of the stories were okay, but mostly boring. : (
Lea
I only enjoyed two stories out of forty-four!
Penny
Not for me. Boring.
Glenn Horne
Apr 29, 2012 Glenn Horne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Very enjoyable - great stories.
Recommended to Glenn by: Found this in a used book store.
Very enjoyable.
Machim
short stories,Irish
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Ruby
Ruby added it
Dec 18, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Maryanne Maguire
Maryanne Maguire marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Nov 10, 2014
Amber
Amber is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Kathryn Bashaar
Kathryn Bashaar marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Trine
Trine marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Kevin
Kevin added it
Oct 18, 2014
Penelope
Penelope is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Kathy
Kathy added it
Jun 13, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014