Start by marking “Poems for the Very Young” as Want to Read:
Poems for the Very Young

Poems for the Very Young

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Humorously illustrated by Greenaway award-winner Bob Graham, this collection of more than 100 poems provides an excellent, accessible introduction to poetry, with contributions from many cultures. Skillfully selected by Michael Rosen to catch the ears of young listeners, this collection includes short nonsense verses such as "Today I Saw a Little Worm" and traditional scho ...more
Published April 8th 2004 by Kingfisher (first published September 30th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Poems for the Very Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems for the Very Young

Ashley Chance
This book compiles a range of poetry for children of all ages ranging from themes such as difficulties in getting dressed, to memories of childhood games, to the completely and utterly nonsensical rhymes such as Ping-Pong: an onomatopoeia poem depicting the physical interaction between four playful canines in a park until a much larger dog intervenes and scares the brood off.

Michael Rosen’s selection of poems keeps the reader entertained for hours. Some of the poems are not rhythmical at all, wh
Linda
Some are Anon. Some are traditional. Some are by big people. This, my favourite, is by Ki Ellwood-Friery - Age 8.

The moon out
The sun out
The world out
The whole galaxy out
There
and me stuck in my bedroom.
Ali
‘Poems for the very young’ is an awe inspiring anthology of poems, not only for children, but also for adults. It contains a range of different poems from rhythmical poems to hilariously funny poems, from inspirational poems to poems for the very young, hence the title of the book.
These poems are not only poems for school aged children; they are also geared towards pre-school. This is what is unique about the book.
In total, Michael Rosen has selected 167 poems in this book. This is a tremendous
Ms.
Growing up I remember having books full of poems and other stories. I enjoyed these books very much and I was hopeful this book would be similar. It was not. The poems seemed off, very few were familiar, and some talked of things such as dead butterflies (page 17) or consuming wine (page 20), which is just out of place for "the very young" as the title calls the intended audience. The illustrations were fun, but not especially eye-catching. There seemed no real cohesiveness to this book and fran ...more
Ellen
So much fun to read aloud and the illustrations are beautiful!
Robin Morris
A Good Play

This poem brings back memories of the adventures my brother and I had as we built a world out of our of sofa pillows and kitchen chairs. Through symbolic play, we collected objects and imagined them to be whatever we wanted them to be. This poem is an excellent example of how children will always find a way to play. I miss those days.
Paul  Hankins
This is one of the books I found in the warehouse on Thursday afternoon. Pulled this one to go into our Room 407 Poetry Collection. Would work well as a sample of simple and children's verse.
Joni
We read several of these poems every morning at the breakfast table. We all enjoy them, mostly the 1 year old and the 4 year old. We try to memorize the shorter ones.
Kena Kump
Great poetry book for young. Focuses on sounds, rhythms and tones and the physical side of language.
Rachel
My favorite poem was anonymous and went like this:

Man Fat

Man fat
Top hat
Fell flat
Squashed hat.
Kaylee Gallup
POETRY
Cute, short poems kids can understand and mock in their own poetry.
Ellee
Lots of nonsense poems. Fun for older preschoolers into 2nd or 3rd grade. :)
Carol Mcgloshen
Such a great poetry book for young children. Has a large variety of poems
Tammy
It was nice to see a lot of different poems instead of the same old stuff.
levi young ringener
levi young ringener marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Joana
Joana marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Penny Soutar
Penny Soutar marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Petya Kokudeva
Petya Kokudeva marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Margo R
Margo R marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
2059918
Michael Rosen, a recent British Children’s Laureate, has written many acclaimed books for children, including WE'RE GOING ON A BEAR HUNT, illustrated by Helen Oxenbury, and I’M NUMBER ONE and THIS IS OUR HOUSE, both illustrated by Bob Graham. Michael Rosen lives in London.

More about Michael Rosen...
We're Going on a Bear Hunt Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet Michael Rosen's Sad Book Tiny Little Fly Little Rabbit Foo Foo