Start by marking “Poems for the Very Young” as Want to Read:
Poems for the Very Young

Poems for the Very Young

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Humorously illustrated by Greenaway award-winner Bob Graham, this collection of more than 100 poems provides an excellent, accessible introduction to poetry, with contributions from many cultures. Skillfully selected by Michael Rosen to catch the ears of young listeners, this collection includes short nonsense verses such as "Today I Saw a Little Worm" and traditional scho ...more
Published April 8th 2004 by Kingfisher (first published September 30th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Poems for the Very Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems for the Very Young

Ashley Chance
This book compiles a range of poetry for children of all ages ranging from themes such as difficulties in getting dressed, to memories of childhood games, to the completely and utterly nonsensical rhymes such as Ping-Pong: an onomatopoeia poem depicting the physical interaction between four playful canines in a park until a much larger dog intervenes and scares the brood off.

Michael Rosen’s selection of poems keeps the reader entertained for hours. Some of the poems are not rhythmical at all, wh
Anna Scott
‘Poems for the very young’, selected by Michael Rosen, is a collection of a variety of poems, written in many different styles and based on a range of different topics. The collection contains nursery rhymes and nonsense poetry, as well as humorous and inspirational poetry by a range of poets. There is a poem for every child in this book, with topics including family, friends, animals, transport, routines and games.

This collection is extremely enjoyable and teaches children that poetry comes in
Cuong Truong
Wider reading focus (book 11): poetry

No book recommendation list would be complete without mentioning Michael Rosen and the key role he has played in making poetry fun and accessible to all. His style could be described as zany, back to front, rhythmic, inside out, real, highly addictive, but boring-never! In Poems for the Very Young Michael Rosen pays tribute to some of his favourite poets for children in the 3-6 age range. This book contains a beautiful selection of poems dealing with everyday
Kim Cerri
This book is an anthology of poems. It is full of various types of poems which are both funny and thoughtful. There are a wide range of poems which meet almost every aspect of poetry which makes this book a brilliant introduction into the poetry topic in literacy for year two children.

The images in this book enable the reader to visualize the story being told within the poem.

This book is also a good independent reader for children, especially those that have difficulties reading for longer perio
Linda
Some are Anon. Some are traditional. Some are by big people. This, my favourite, is by Ki Ellwood-Friery - Age 8.

The moon out
The sun out
The world out
The whole galaxy out
There
and me stuck in my bedroom.
Ali
‘Poems for the very young’ is an awe inspiring anthology of poems, not only for children, but also for adults. It contains a range of different poems from rhythmical poems to hilariously funny poems, from inspirational poems to poems for the very young, hence the title of the book.
These poems are not only poems for school aged children; they are also geared towards pre-school. This is what is unique about the book.
In total, Michael Rosen has selected 167 poems in this book. This is a tremendous
Liz
Week 13: Poetry anthology
Comprised of poems about almost everything, "Poems For The Very Young" will capture the attention of young readers. "There are traditional verses, nonsense rhymes, and poems by Jack Prelutsky, Stevie Smith, A.A. Milne, Eve Merriam, Margaret Mahy, Michael Rosen, and many more." All poems are brilliantly paired with illustrations that young children will love.

"Poems For The Very Young" is appropriate for ages 3-5.

As a young reader, one of my favorite books was "Where the
Ms.
Growing up I remember having books full of poems and other stories. I enjoyed these books very much and I was hopeful this book would be similar. It was not. The poems seemed off, very few were familiar, and some talked of things such as dead butterflies (page 17) or consuming wine (page 20), which is just out of place for "the very young" as the title calls the intended audience. The illustrations were fun, but not especially eye-catching. There seemed no real cohesiveness to this book and fran ...more
Ellen
So much fun to read aloud and the illustrations are beautiful!
Robin Morris
A Good Play

This poem brings back memories of the adventures my brother and I had as we built a world out of our of sofa pillows and kitchen chairs. Through symbolic play, we collected objects and imagined them to be whatever we wanted them to be. This poem is an excellent example of how children will always find a way to play. I miss those days.
Paul  Hankins
This is one of the books I found in the warehouse on Thursday afternoon. Pulled this one to go into our Room 407 Poetry Collection. Would work well as a sample of simple and children's verse.
Joni
We read several of these poems every morning at the breakfast table. We all enjoy them, mostly the 1 year old and the 4 year old. We try to memorize the shorter ones.
Kena Kump
Great poetry book for young. Focuses on sounds, rhythms and tones and the physical side of language.
Rachel
My favorite poem was anonymous and went like this:

Man Fat

Man fat
Top hat
Fell flat
Squashed hat.
Kaylee Gallup
POETRY
Cute, short poems kids can understand and mock in their own poetry.
Ellee
Lots of nonsense poems. Fun for older preschoolers into 2nd or 3rd grade. :)
Carol Mcgloshen
Such a great poetry book for young children. Has a large variety of poems
Tammy
It was nice to see a lot of different poems instead of the same old stuff.
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Paul Gudgeon
Paul Gudgeon marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Sujal Dey
Sujal Dey marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Jennifer Sarah
Jennifer Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Daniel Brogan
Daniel Brogan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Dolly
Dolly marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
levi young ringener
levi young ringener marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
My Website should provide all this and more. It's http://www.fidosopher.com.
I'm the author, illustrator, or editor of some 80 books for both adults and children, including poetry, humor, anthologies, and cookbooks. Recent titles include THE CUCKOO'S HAIKU AND OTHER POEMS FOR BIRDERS, OUR FARM, and the fall 2009 title, NO DRIBBLING THE SQUID, a humorous look at some 75 far-fetched, fringe, and fre
More about Michael J. Rosen...
Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor The Cuckoo's Haiku: and Other Birding Poems Night of the Pumpkinheads The Hound Dog's Haiku: and Other Poems for Dog Lovers 101 Damnations: The Humorists' Tour of Personal Hells