Start by marking “Poems for the Very Young” as Want to Read:
Poems for the Very Young

Poems for the Very Young

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Humorously illustrated by Greenaway award-winner Bob Graham, this collection of more than 100 poems provides an excellent, accessible introduction to poetry, with contributions from many cultures. Skillfully selected by Michael Rosen to catch the ears of young listeners, this collection includes short nonsense verses such as "Today I Saw a Little Worm" and traditional scho ...more
Published April 8th 2004 by Kingfisher (first published September 30th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Poems for the Very Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems for the Very Young

Ashley Chance
Aug 27, 2012 Ashley Chance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book compiles a range of poetry for children of all ages ranging from themes such as difficulties in getting dressed, to memories of childhood games, to the completely and utterly nonsensical rhymes such as Ping-Pong: an onomatopoeia poem depicting the physical interaction between four playful canines in a park until a much larger dog intervenes and scares the brood off.

Michael Rosen’s selection of poems keeps the reader entertained for hours. Some of the poems are not rhythmical at all, wh
Anna Scott
Dec 21, 2012 Anna Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Poems for the very young’, selected by Michael Rosen, is a collection of a variety of poems, written in many different styles and based on a range of different topics. The collection contains nursery rhymes and nonsense poetry, as well as humorous and inspirational poetry by a range of poets. There is a poem for every child in this book, with topics including family, friends, animals, transport, routines and games.

This collection is extremely enjoyable and teaches children that poetry comes in
Cuong Truong
Jan 20, 2013 Cuong Truong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wider reading focus (book 11): poetry

No book recommendation list would be complete without mentioning Michael Rosen and the key role he has played in making poetry fun and accessible to all. His style could be described as zany, back to front, rhythmic, inside out, real, highly addictive, but boring-never! In Poems for the Very Young Michael Rosen pays tribute to some of his favourite poets for children in the 3-6 age range. This book contains a beautiful selection of poems dealing with everyday
Kim Cerri
This book is an anthology of poems. It is full of various types of poems which are both funny and thoughtful. There are a wide range of poems which meet almost every aspect of poetry which makes this book a brilliant introduction into the poetry topic in literacy for year two children.

The images in this book enable the reader to visualize the story being told within the poem.

This book is also a good independent reader for children, especially those that have difficulties reading for longer perio
Libby Meyer
Poems for the Very Young is a great collection by one of the most recognisable children’s poets- Michael Rosen. Ranging from silly, to serious, these poems come under a range of themes- animals to the playground- and are a mixture of rhyming, nonsense and other. I like it, because many poetry books that I have seen for children are patronising or boring. This collection manages to combine interesting descriptions and rhymes with topics that children are interested in. As an initial foray into po ...more
Hanne
I liked that ethnical diversity was a natural part of the illustrations. I also liked the doublespreads which integrated all the different poems into one big illustration (for instance page 10/11 and 30/31), and the reference to the fable about the lion and the mouse on page 16. My favourite poem was 'The Moon' by Ki Ellwood-Friery (age 8).

I did not like the lack of cohesion between the different doublespreads and poems. However, I realize that the aim of the anthology is to introduce children t
Linda
Aug 26, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Some are Anon. Some are traditional. Some are by big people. This, my favourite, is by Ki Ellwood-Friery - Age 8.

The moon out
The sun out
The world out
The whole galaxy out
There
and me stuck in my bedroom.
Ali
‘Poems for the very young’ is an awe inspiring anthology of poems, not only for children, but also for adults. It contains a range of different poems from rhythmical poems to hilariously funny poems, from inspirational poems to poems for the very young, hence the title of the book.
These poems are not only poems for school aged children; they are also geared towards pre-school. This is what is unique about the book.
In total, Michael Rosen has selected 167 poems in this book. This is a tremendous
Liz
Week 13: Poetry anthology
Comprised of poems about almost everything, "Poems For The Very Young" will capture the attention of young readers. "There are traditional verses, nonsense rhymes, and poems by Jack Prelutsky, Stevie Smith, A.A. Milne, Eve Merriam, Margaret Mahy, Michael Rosen, and many more." All poems are brilliantly paired with illustrations that young children will love.

"Poems For The Very Young" is appropriate for ages 3-5.

As a young reader, one of my favorite books was "Where the
Ms. A.
Jun 19, 2013 Ms. A. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up I remember having books full of poems and other stories. I enjoyed these books very much and I was hopeful this book would be similar. It was not. The poems seemed off, very few were familiar, and some talked of things such as dead butterflies (page 17) or consuming wine (page 20), which is just out of place for "the very young" as the title calls the intended audience. The illustrations were fun, but not especially eye-catching. There seemed no real cohesiveness to this book and fran ...more
Ellen
Feb 01, 2014 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun to read aloud and the illustrations are beautiful!
Robin Morris
Nov 11, 2013 Robin Morris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Play

This poem brings back memories of the adventures my brother and I had as we built a world out of our of sofa pillows and kitchen chairs. Through symbolic play, we collected objects and imagined them to be whatever we wanted them to be. This poem is an excellent example of how children will always find a way to play. I miss those days.
Paul  Hankins
This is one of the books I found in the warehouse on Thursday afternoon. Pulled this one to go into our Room 407 Poetry Collection. Would work well as a sample of simple and children's verse.
Joni
We read several of these poems every morning at the breakfast table. We all enjoy them, mostly the 1 year old and the 4 year old. We try to memorize the shorter ones.
Kena Kump
Dec 12, 2010 Kena Kump rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Great poetry book for young. Focuses on sounds, rhythms and tones and the physical side of language.
Rachel
My favorite poem was anonymous and went like this:

Man Fat

Man fat
Top hat
Fell flat
Squashed hat.
Kaylee Gallup
POETRY
Cute, short poems kids can understand and mock in their own poetry.
Ellee
Lots of nonsense poems. Fun for older preschoolers into 2nd or 3rd grade. :)
Carol Mcgloshen
Such a great poetry book for young children. Has a large variety of poems
Tammy
Jun 21, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was nice to see a lot of different poems instead of the same old stuff.
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Amber Lund
Amber Lund rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Ann
Ann added it
Dec 30, 2015
Claudia
Claudia rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Harriet Jane Norfolk
Harriet Jane Norfolk marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Rosen's Website should provide all this and more. It's http://www.fidosopher.com.
Nonetheless: Michael J. Rosen is an American author and illustrator with over 120 books of fiction, nonfiction, humor, picture books, poetry, and more. With a strong interest in nature and animals, reflecting his animal behavior degree from Ohio State University, Rosen resides within a peaceful crease of Central Ohio
More about Michael J. Rosen...