Start by marking “Grrrls: Viva Rock Divas” as Want to Read:
Grrrls: Viva Rock Divas

Grrrls: Viva Rock Divas

Courtney Love: "I rely a lot on sexual metaphors-food as sex, music as sex, fucked-up weird insane sexual vistas that haunt me and make me feel as though I were going insane sometimes."

Bjork: "I have always had a certain song in my head, a certain chemistry of sounds."

Kim Gordon: "I always wanted to rebel."
Published January 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Grrrls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grrrls

Jess
Feb 03, 2012 Jess rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Music lovers
This book made me fall in love with music.

I know, I know. That is pretty cheesy. But it is completely and 100% true. Before this book, I had never heard of Veruca Salt or Belly, I thought Bjork was a weirdo and Liz phair was a has-been.

Now?

Veruca Salt is one of my favorite hard-rock bands of all time, surpassing all those male-fronted bands out there. Tanya Donnelly and Kristen Hersh are truly my muses. Liz Phair is a genius. Bjork is still a weirdo, but she rocks.

These interviews are amazingly
Patrick
Feb 25, 2008 Patrick rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
I got this collection of monologues-by-way-of-interview because it features pieces by some awesome alterna-babes from back in the day, such as Tanya Donnelly from Belly, Liz Phair, both girls from Veruca Salt, Bjork, Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth, Courtney Love, Kristin Hersh from Throwing Muses, and the girl from Echobelly. This is a British book so I skipped over a few chapters by/about some bands I don't know/care about (Huggy Bear, the Raincoats, and Sister George). I got kind of mad reading t ...more
Susan
Apr 11, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
The chapter on Kristin Hersh by itself merits 5 stars, and the ones on Huggy Bear and The Raincoats -- two of the most important female-fronted punk bands in English music history -- get the opportunity to talk music, revolution and politics. It's a brilliant read, and even Courtney Love's chapter is inspiring and coherent.
Aoife Lennon
Aug 12, 2015 Aoife Lennon rated it really liked it
I found this very interesting, but could not read one of the interviews, because there were a few pages ripped out! Grrrr......spoiled my enjoyment slightly of a very good library book!
Joanna
Aug 03, 2011 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-reads
Brilliant and inspiring. Anyone wanna start a band?
Andrew
Feb 16, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it
A definite candidate for worst title ever.

The concept of monologues - letting the women speak for themselves - was interesting, but Raphael is clearly asking questions and prompting topics, resulting in a lack of natural flow.

I really like a lot of the music these women make and haven't read much about them elsewhere, so I appreciated learning a bit about them.
Marissa
Apr 13, 2009 Marissa rated it really liked it
It was funny to read this book now, since Melodee read it during our first year of college and we spent so much time talking about all the gossip in it. Anyway, I think a lot of the intros in this book were kind of cheesy and it is a somewhat odd assortment of women she ended up with, but what is really great about the book is that she gave the musicians she talked to the opportunity to speak directly to the audience, write what they wanted, answer the questions they wanted, etc. and you get a r ...more
Stef
Jan 28, 2013 Stef rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Mind The Bollocks was a good book which had in depth interviews with some of the great's of music history (Courtney Love, Kristin Hersh, Kim Deal). My only issue is that it focused manly on the 90s and had long interviews with some questionable bands that I wouldn't have thought would be included. Otherwise good read if you can find it.
AnitaDurt
Jan 25, 2008 AnitaDurt rated it it was amazing
i read this early in my feminist consciousness and re-read several times. great interviews that introduced me to new music that i still love today- huggy bear being the most inspiring out of the bunch. the interview with courtney love is probably really different from her current interviews, back when she seemed to give a shit about feminism.
Larry-bob Roberts
Initially published in England as "Never Mind the Bollocks: Women Rewrite Rock", then republished in the U.S. as "Grrrls: Viva Rock Divas." A series of interviews with women rock musicians.
Alicia
Mar 23, 2007 Alicia rated it really liked it
A lot of interesting "women in rock" are interviewed in here, including Bjork, Kristin Hersh, Kim Gordon, and the ubiquitous Courtney Love.
Tracy
Apr 21, 2013 Tracy rated it liked it
I rediscovered Hole and downloaded Veruca Salt
James Nelson
James Nelson rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Suzan
Suzan marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Gaby Mallo
Gaby Mallo marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Ashley Hodil
Ashley Hodil marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Sofía Ormazabal
Sofía Ormazabal marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Hayley Bryan
Hayley Bryan marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Shannon Leigh
Shannon Leigh marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Jenny Carrick
Jenny Carrick marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Tara Finger
Tara Finger marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Evie
Evie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Stevie O'Connor
Stevie O'Connor marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Aiswarya
Aiswarya marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • Rock She Wrote: Women Write about Rock, Pop, and Rap
  • She's a Rebel: The History of Women in Rock and Roll
  • Cinderella's Big Score: Women of the Punk and Indie Underground
  • Angry Women in Rock
  • Pretty in Punk: Girl's Gender Resistance in a Boy's Subculture
  • Babes in Toyland: The Making and Selling of a Rock and Roll Band
  • Riot Grrrl: Revolution Girl Style Now!
  • A Girl's Guide to Taking Over the World: Writings From The Girl Zine Revolution
  • Courtney Love: Queen of Noise