Grrrls: Viva Rock Divas

Grrrls: Viva Rock Divas

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Courtney Love: "I rely a lot on sexual metaphors-food as sex, music as sex, fucked-up weird insane sexual vistas that haunt me and make me feel as though I were going insane sometimes."

Bjork: "I have always had a certain song in my head, a certain chemistry of sounds."

Kim Gordon: "I always wanted to rebel."
Published January 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Grrrls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grrrls

Jess
Feb 03, 2012 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Music lovers
This book made me fall in love with music.

I know, I know. That is pretty cheesy. But it is completely and 100% true. Before this book, I had never heard of Veruca Salt or Belly, I thought Bjork was a weirdo and Liz phair was a has-been.

Now?

Veruca Salt is one of my favorite hard-rock bands of all time, surpassing all those male-fronted bands out there. Tanya Donnelly and Kristen Hersh are truly my muses. Liz Phair is a genius. Bjork is still a weirdo, but she rocks.

These interviews are amazingly...more
Patrick
I got this collection of monologues-by-way-of-interview because it features pieces by some awesome alterna-babes from back in the day, such as Tanya Donnelly from Belly, Liz Phair, both girls from Veruca Salt, Bjork, Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth, Courtney Love, Kristin Hersh from Throwing Muses, and the girl from Echobelly. This is a British book so I skipped over a few chapters by/about some bands I don't know/care about (Huggy Bear, the Raincoats, and Sister George). I got kind of mad reading t...more
Joanna
Brilliant and inspiring. Anyone wanna start a band?
Marissa
It was funny to read this book now, since Melodee read it during our first year of college and we spent so much time talking about all the gossip in it. Anyway, I think a lot of the intros in this book were kind of cheesy and it is a somewhat odd assortment of women she ended up with, but what is really great about the book is that she gave the musicians she talked to the opportunity to speak directly to the audience, write what they wanted, answer the questions they wanted, etc. and you get a r...more
Stef
Never Mind The Bollocks was a good book which had in depth interviews with some of the great's of music history (Courtney Love, Kristin Hersh, Kim Deal). My only issue is that it focused manly on the 90s and had long interviews with some questionable bands that I wouldn't have thought would be included. Otherwise good read if you can find it.
AnitaDurt
i read this early in my feminist consciousness and re-read several times. great interviews that introduced me to new music that i still love today- huggy bear being the most inspiring out of the bunch. the interview with courtney love is probably really different from her current interviews, back when she seemed to give a shit about feminism.
Susan
The chapter on Kristin Hersh by itself merits 5 stars, and the ones on Huggy Bear and The Raincoats -- two of the most important female-fronted punk bands in English music history -- get the opportunity to talk music, revolution and politics. It's a brilliant read, and even Courtney Love's chapter is inspiring and coherent.
Larry-bob Roberts
Initially published in England as "Never Mind the Bollocks: Women Rewrite Rock", then republished in the U.S. as "Grrrls: Viva Rock Divas." A series of interviews with women rock musicians.
Alicia
A lot of interesting "women in rock" are interviewed in here, including Bjork, Kristin Hersh, Kim Gordon, and the ubiquitous Courtney Love.
Tracy
I rediscovered Hole and downloaded Veruca Salt
Morgan
Morgan added it
Jul 07, 2014
Allison Hadfield
Allison Hadfield marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Jane Veitch
Jane Veitch marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Sophia
Sophia added it
Feb 14, 2014
Michelle Flores
Michelle Flores marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Erin Tuzuner
Erin Tuzuner marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Kirsten Krauth
Kirsten Krauth marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Mike Leigh on Mike Leigh Danny Boyle: In His Own Words Hole: Look Through This Danny Boyle: Authorised Edition Danny Boyle