Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Meditation” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Meditation

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Meditation (The Complete Idiot's Guides)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  12 reviews

You're no idiot, of course. You know it's important to exercise, eat right, and get enough sleep. But when it comes to relaxing and slowing down the pace, you sill can't get out of the fast lane. Don't crash and burn yet! The Complete Idiot's Guide to Meditation shows you how easy it is to enjoy the benefits of meditation. In this Complete Idiot's Guide, you get:

Published January 1st 1999 by Alpha (first published December 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Meditation

Em
It seemed the longer I read this book (usually a chapter a week) that my meditation practice became weaker. The authors covered up and down the aspects of meditation from western Christian prayer to chakras to yoga to reiki to whatever else they could think of, aura and all, until it became rather meaningless. I guess since it's the idiot's guide their approach turned conglomeration into idiocy. The thing is these idiot's guides are so fragmented and repetitive and ultimately watered down that t ...more
Ross
Simply put: Great overview of the origins and uses of meditation. I knew nothing about meditation going into this book and came out more mindful of various practices throughout the world and the benefits of meditation.

A few good exercises and a few great ways to focus while meditating.
Gary
One really has to wade through a lot of unrelated and unneccesary material to finally get some guidance on how to meditate. Just reading sections 4 & 5 (about 140 pages) is enough. I recall seeing another CIG to shorter meditations-maybe that would have been a better choice.
Colleen
A clear and encouraging book, which does a fair job of trying to be all things to all people... or more specifically, all types of meditation to all types of people that might be picking this book up. I'm still not great shakes at putting it into practice but I *do* now clearly know what I *should* be doing!
Tiffany
I liked this book alot. It helps teach you to quiet your mind and be calm and at peace. Obviously you're going to want to expand on it, do what feels good for you, but this is a great place to start. :)
Alicia
I liked reading this a lot and pledged myself to start meditating. Too bad I never followed through. If you're interested in learning the discipline you can't really go wrong with this.
Vandrion
May 23, 2009 Vandrion marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have recently decided that I really want to start meditating. That is the purpose for this read.
Kara
Feb 18, 2009 Kara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to quite their mind and open themselves us to the All.
A lot of really simple yet valuable exercises, even for someone who has been sitting for a while.
Earthchild
I found a lot of good information which will help me with learning to meditate.
Mary Ann
I'm reading this on my Kindle. It uses language I understand.
Catherine
Jul 14, 2010 Catherine marked it as to-read
Recommended by my yoga instructor as a starting point for meditation
Robin
A great introductory resource to all things meditation.
Brigitta
Brigitta marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Nanamary13
Nanamary13 marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Trina
Trina is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2015
Dee Shivers
Dee Shivers marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Evie dusenbery
Evie dusenbery is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

The Complete Idiot's Guides (1 - 10 of 207 books)
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American Literature
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ancient Greece
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Assertiveness
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astronomy (Complete Idiot's Guide to)
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Yoga Illustrated The Complete Idiot's Guide to Massage The Complete Idiot's Guide to Yoga, 2E Yoga with Joan Sun Salutations with Joan