Start by marking “To Die for” as Want to Read:
To Die for

To Die for

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  635 ratings  ·  70 reviews
When her husband is shot dead by her teenage boyfriend, would-be television journalist Suzanne Maretto steps into the role of grieving widow with a brilliant performance. But few suspect her dark side. This chilling novel of ambition and sexual obsession goes behind the mask of an apple-pie beauty to probe the sinister manipulations of a mesmerizing femme fatale.
Published February 17th 2003 by (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about To Die for, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Die for

I loved this book!! Such a unique way of telling a story. The book is fiction but is based largely on the Pamela Smart case of the early 90's; it also rings familiar with numerous other real-life cases that have gotten national media attention throughout recent years, way after the book was written.

Suzanne Maretto is a young woman who has always wanted nothing more than to become a high-profile tv news reporter. She is focused on her career goals to the point of obsession, and anything that get
I've been on a little Joyce Maynard kick after really enjoying After Her , so I checked out my library to see which of her older stuff it had. I settled on To Die For, even though by its title, it seemed more than a bit campy.

Before I read this, I came across a review that complained it read like a made-for-TV movie. Looking only at plot line--beautiful, ambitious young reported manipulates disadvantaged teens to off her husband for her--I can see where the comparisons come from, but I really t
True Rating 3.5 stars

I had seen the movie first and enjoyed it, I thought Nicole Kidman was brilliant. In reading the book, I realized what an incredibly good job the screenplay writer had done in maintaining the feeling of the book. Although the topic is obviously awful, particularly as it was based loosely on a true story (The Pamela Smart case), the book is darkly funny throughout. The entire story is told by several different characters in short chapters of first person narratives. I found
Maynard's book, using elements from the 1990 Pamela Smart murder case, is told in the form of a highly engrossing collection of first-person narratives from various characters: the accused (aspiring newscaster Suzanne Stone Maretto), her parents, the victim's parents and sister, the teenage accomplices, and a few accounts from various onlookers and acquaintances.

The psychological portraits drawn are engaging and powerful; compared to Suzanne's self-absorbed tunnel-vision of calculated retconnin
What a wonderful read. I had a hard time putting it down, actually. I loved how the novel was set up in testimonials, there was so much dramatic irony regarding what Suzanne would say and where the truth was with the kids. I just love novels that tell a story that already happened.

When starting the novel, you already know the basic plot: Suzanne is Pamela Smart, seducing a teenage boy and hiring him and two other teens to murder her husband. Your first impression before reading is 'how interesti
Keeps you wanting more

Purchased this book on a daily Kindle special. I didn't expect it to be written so well. Maynard chose to write in first person using all her characters. It's wonderful because you do get to know each character well by the end. of course there are a few chapters told by 'not-so-popular' characters, but these help the story line move smoothly. This is very different from most murder mysteries in that you know who plans the murder and who commits the murder. Definitely worth
Roula Yasin
très belle histoire, très bien construite. Suzanne, jeune femme manipulatrice et séductrice et farouchement ambitieuse veut devenir célèbre en travaillant a la tele et elle est prête a se debarrasser de tt ce qui bloque cela. Son mari qui veut que sa femme s'occupe de lui et porte ses enfants la bloque dans ses projets et elle va se débarrasser de lui en manipulant un jeune élève qui devient son esclave (sexuellement), un autre qui veut de l'argent et une jeune fille mal dans sa peau qui n'exist ...more
Ce qui est surtout admirable dans ce roman, c'est le portrait que l'auteure nous dresse de Suzanne Stone. Waouh ! C'est une petite provinciale prétentieuse, elle est narcissique (#imsexyandiknowit), menteuse, aguicheuse, arriviste, ambitieuse à en crever, et surtout, c'est une manipulatrice hors pair, qui joue avec les gens afin de servir ses ambitions et ses rêves de gloire.

Une anti-héroïne comme je les aime : une vraie salope, prête à tout pour parvenir à ses fins. Et forcément, on a plusieurs
Hated it but had to find out what happened. Hated it even more after I finished it. Lol
JoAnn Bassett
This is an amazing look into the mind of a psychopath. And, a rather likeable psychopath (if such a thing exists), I might add. When we hear stories of crazy stuff like teachers having affairs with their teen-aged students, or kids killing their parents "for the experience of watching them die" we can't help but wonder , "What were they thinking?" Well, Joyce Maynard has nailed it. I recommend this book to all readers who enjoy a well-told tale with fascinating psychological undertones. Well don ...more
Voici un excellent livre qui devrait plaire en priorité aux amateurs de romans policiers, mais aussi à tous les lecteurs de drames.

Inspirée par un fait divers, Joyce Maynard a eu l'idée de cette histoire très bien maîtrisée. Elle la raconte à la manière d'une enquête de police : chaque chapitre correspond au point de vue d'un personnage, qui raconte ce qu'il ou elle sait du meurtre et des circonstances qui ont amené à la mort de Larry Maretto. Peu à peu, le lecteur se fait sa propre idée, comme
Read this after watching "Captivated: The Trials of Pamela Smart" on HBO. I love the style of the novel - it's like a book version of a TV documentary or Dateline special about a murder case. I think she nailed it. It's also funny that the main character says she might want "that actress who married Tom Cruise in real life" to play her in a movie, because in the movie version of this novel, Nicole Kidman did play that character.
I just finished this book and must say it was a real page turner for me. I enjoyed it very much. I think Joyce did a great job on character development. I felt that I got to know them pretty well.

I haven't read too many books in the first person narrative. I really enjoyed that style.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys crime novels or anyone who likes true crime books. It was a very believable read
Sachin Ganpat
Excellent book. I hardly read fiction that is not science-fiction, but this was one book that I could not put down. I didn't know about the real life story behind it, nor the movie based on this book. Now that I know the true story, I felt a bit saddened about the entire thing, like I wished it was just a story.

Either way, it's a good read.
Francis T. Villante

the book was okay. it kept me turning the pages. a different story about a female reporter getting mixed up with three misfit teens from . the local high school to help her do a documentary on sex, drugs,and everything else that goes on in high school. then it goes wrong when she has a sexual relationship with one of them and her husband ends up murdered. it has its ups and downs but still a decent read.
Bought this on a Kindle daily special. Didn't expect it to be so good. It's written in chapters in first person by each character. As for the main characters, you feel as though you know them quite well by the end. This is a little different murder mystery. You know the about the crime before it ever happens. Suzanne, the main character is one of the most cold hearted, selfish manipulators I've had in a book. And to think this kind of story has actually happened more than once!
Ill start by saying I am intrigued by Joyce Maynard and want to read all of her books. This one was not hard reading but the subject matter was a little out of character for me. It was told in the different voices of the subject, Susie, an aspiring television newscaster and the other characters from her parents and sister to her husband and students. There were three students the beguiling Susie befriended under the guise of interviewing them for a project on what young people thought. At only 2 ...more
Jan 06, 2010 KarenLee marked it as books-i-didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
I found I didn't enjoy the style of this book at all. I quit at page 67, after realizing it wasn't a required read! I usually finish books, but just not having a good time. The book is broken up into short interviews with the different characters; the victim, the friends, the family, the murderer, etc. But it's so broken up that it never started to flow for me. Stop, start, stop, start. If you like very short chapters, and only have short amounts of time to read, this would be perfect. The suspe ...more
I got this book because it was a deal on Kindle but it is well worth full price. Joyce Maynard tells the story in multiple voices and she does a splendid job of catching the different personalities of each. Just amazing. Now I need to read all of her other books!
M Pau
This is the second book I read from Joyce Maynard. Very good book, couldn't put it down. This book is loosely based on the Pamela Smart case. The story is well written and each of the characters are written in chapters each having a personality of its own. The main character Suzanne was very defined.
true rating: 3.5 stars. Unique form of storytelling made it interesting to read. This book falls right in the middle of the "not the best thing I've read; but certainly not the worst either!" category.
Dennis O'Leary
I didn't see the movie and many of the reviews trashed this, but I thought it was entertaining. The character and her motivations seemed quite real. I read this on vacation too so it was a nice escape.
Durann Dungee
easy read

pretty predictable, kept my interest as much as it aggravated me. it's almost identical to a plot used for a lifetime movie. so read, of you're into that kinda stuff.
Linda  Hoffman, C.
Very Quick Read

Well written with short chapters and not a lot of nonsense. Unique, believable characters with a sad, modern story line imitating true life today!
Kris - My Novelesque Life

A teacher seeking fame and fortune sleeps with her student and convinces him to kill her husband.

I enjoyed the campy movie but I could not get into this novel.
3.5 stars. Fast and engrossing but definitely not light (lives/homes of the teens sometimes felt darker than the main crime). I'm always strangely fascinated by narcissists.
Saw the movie years ago but this is the first time I've read the book. Much more affecting than I was expecting, especially the sections told from the perspective of the kids.
Great Book. Was not too found of the writing style at the beginning, but it grew on me. This was one of those books that brought out strong emotions for me, really disliked the Suzanne character.
Laura LaTour
This book reading experience was tainted by the vaguely remembered movie of the same title. Wish I had read the book first.
It kept me engaged, fast paced with switching who was narrating. Felt like a TV show recapping a murder.
  • Rush
  • The Naked Olympics: The True Story of the Ancient Games
  • Indefensible: One Lawyer's Journey into the Inferno of American Justice
  • Permanent Midnight
  • Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Joyce Maynard first came to national attention with the publication of her New York Times cover story “An Eighteen-Year-Old Looks Back on Life” in 1973, when she was a freshman at Yale. Since then, she has been a reporter and columnist for The New York Times, a syndicated newspaper columnist whose “Domestic Affairs” column appeared in more than fifty papers nationwide, a regular contributor to NPR ...more
More about Joyce Maynard...
Labor Day The Good Daughters After Her The Usual Rules At Home in the World