Start by marking “Waiting” as Want to Read:
Waiting

Waiting

3.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
From the author who brought us the distinguished spy thriller Death of a Marionette and The Towering Inferno, one of the most popular films of the '70s, comes Waiting, an intense novel of contemporary menace, in the mode of Robinson's 1950s classic, The Power.

There are people living among us, who look just like normal human beings. They've been here for a long time--waiti
Published April 15th 2000 by Tor Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Waiting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting

Stef
I first read this book a few years ago, and I couldn't remember much of it except the general premise and the fact that I found it really absurd and awful. I am, however, an optimist when it comes to books, and figured that it couldn't possibly have been as bad as I thought it to be.

And so I picked it up, and was proven horribly, horribly wrong. It is, if possible, worse than I remember. I love sci-fi, honestly, I really do; time travel, space travel, aliens, robots, über intelligent bacteria,
Kate
Jan 25, 2011 Kate rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller, sci-fi
Casual misogyny, unnecessary and continuous infodumps, preachy tone, lousy wordcraft, and a truly hackneyed, telegraphed plot with stale, one-dimensional characters and foreshadowing you can see from Alpha Centauri.

It all adds up to a truly AWFUL book. I only kept reading because it's what I had at the gym, and I was honestly hoping someone would kill the main character in a particularly squishy way.

No, really, this book was awful. The women were all either heartless bitches, sex toys, or nags -
Tamara Rose Blodgett
May 31, 2011 Tamara Rose Blodgett rated it really liked it
A terrific book which promises much in the scientific realm without edging outside of layman's terms. The reader can self-educate while enjoying this novel that addresses the potential for a humanoid species that is not homo sapiens.

An eager doctor who is part of an elite group stumbles upon genetic abnormalities present in the victim of a fatal car crash and draws conclusions which endanger, and eventually end his life. Select group members find the circumstances surrounding his death suspiciou
David B
Dec 20, 2015 David B rated it it was ok
Someone who picks up a horror novel must, of course, be willing to suspend disbelief, but the concept of another race living among us and maintaining some level of cohesion as a society for 35,000 years without discovery is just a little too far-fetched. Worse than that, it's boring. Toward the end of the story, there were some twists in the plot that I didn't see coming, but by that time I didn't care anymore.
Philip
Aug 11, 2014 Philip rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Goodread Friends
I enjoyed reading this book; since it was about another species of human beings that has been living on Earth for thousands of years. They look human, act human and do all the things that humans do, but they can read minds and take over your thoughts. Arthur Banks, who starts figuring out about this human race, that puts him and his family in danger. Is this going to be the end of the human race as Arthur has known.

I would recommend this book as an exciting read. Not many books like this have I
Nicole Swirsley
Jun 03, 2014 Nicole Swirsley rated it liked it
Caution: Contains Spoilers

The concept of this book is interesting: a species similar to humans, but not human, that has lived beside us for over 35,000 years with no one noticing.

While the concept was interesting, there were several things about this novel that just felt a little off for me. That the main protagonist was so oblivious to everything that happened around him for over 20 years is a little strange. I also felt that the "save the environment" theme was a little pushy. Even though the
Abner Rosenweig
Oct 13, 2014 Abner Rosenweig rated it it was ok
Frank Robinson spoiled me. After reading the taut thriller "The Power" and the immersive multi-generation space epic "The Dark Beyond the Stars," I had high expectations for his other work. "Waiting" is not terrible, but it comes nowhere near Robinson's best work. The premise is intriguing--another hominid species has been secretly living with homo sapiens, lying dormant, waiting for our weakening or extinction so they can rise to ascendancy. The execution of this promising sci-fi concept, howev ...more
Mic
Dec 20, 2009 Mic rated it it was ok
Shelves: rubbish
Not that exciting, TBH. Also has some really stupid stuff, which always infuriates me. Encryped email - can't trust the phones - which is printed out and left on a desk when you're sharing your house with one of the people mentioned in the emails? Please. Ending was also really weak, very soft and undefined.
Bryan
Dec 18, 2015 Bryan rated it it was amazing
In my top ten favorite books, easily.

This was my introduction to the work of Frank M. Robinson. A work that one-ups the phrase, "We are not alone." , by postulating a species that humans believed they had wiped out eons ago has survived, and thrived in secrecy. A species that resembles us with the exception of being telepathic.

The worst thing you can do is almost destroy an enemy, and this book plays monstrously with that theme.

In the creepy, Noir-esque setting Robinson takes us on a ride that m
Lisa H.
Aug 25, 2012 Lisa H. rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: airline/bus reading
Shelves: sf
Lee
May 30, 2015 Lee rated it liked it
From the co-author of "The Towering Inferno" **for you folks a little olser**:), comes a creepy little tale of what if - another species had been living amongst us for....years. Our protagonist finds a town, too good to be true - perfect...but full of, The Old People. " An example of what the whole world could have been like if "Homo sapiens" hadn't f@cked it up." Good wrap up - 3.5 stars.
Punk
Jun 06, 2007 Punk rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
SF. What if we aren't alone? What if Homo sapiens isn't, as we like to think, the dominant species on this planet? We're in for a surprise, because the Old People are still around, and they're not happy with what we're doing to the environment. You can tell this is speculative fiction because the end will probably make you angry, weepy, or just plain hopeless. Which means it's doing its job. Even if parts are a tad heavy handed, this is a creepy, suspenseful novel, part mystery and part thriller ...more
Judith
Nov 27, 2011 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a race of super-humans existing side by side with us for 35,000 years. It's a great idea for a scary novel. What works best in this novel is the feel of underground guerrilla warfare that is prevalent throughout. Not all of the super-humans are in favor of eradicating mankind, some preferring to continue peaceful cohabitation and perhaps achieve eventual integration with them. That conflict creates for interesting subplots within the plot, spicing things up considerably. It also creates ...more
Maurean
Apr 23, 2008 Maurean rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maurean by: mom
There are people living among us - waiting - subtly different in their psychology and genetics, who can read our minds, and in subtle ways take over what you're thinking, and thereby control you for awhile.
One man, Arthur Banks, begins to find them out and immmediately his life, and his family, are in danger..perhaps, even, the entire human race as well.
It all comes down to a choice between "us" and "them"; The question is, who will he choose?

I enjoyed this book quite a bit, although the ending
David Bonesteel
Jun 14, 2013 David Bonesteel rated it it was ok
April Parrish
Apr 28, 2009 April Parrish rated it liked it
This is a little creepy. The thought that there is another human-like species that has the abilty to get into people's minds and make them do whatever they want to keep anyone from finding out they exist is an interesting concept. I thought this was a good read. The ending was a little surprising and somewhat dissapointing. I think the ending could have been better.
Tara Wizorek
Aug 13, 2012 Tara Wizorek rated it really liked it
This was an interesting premise...not too often do you see a book where the humans are the inferior species, at least on Earth. (Not counting aliens, etc.) The story moved pretty quickly, although a lot of the turns were anticipated. I didn't care too much for the long-ish asides about the environment. I think it could have been scarier than it was.
Kristine
Mar 06, 2008 Kristine rated it it was amazing
I love this book i have read it twice. It's about the missing link being an entire species far superior to man that has intergrated themselves among us and their features are so similar to ours that it makes it hard for us to recognize them. They also have group memories and knowledge, if one person knows it, they all do..its crazy.
John Onoda
Nov 07, 2009 John Onoda rated it liked it
A solidly crafter science fiction thriller with today's modern ecological problems as the background. Kind of old school in tone and intensity, so Robinson doesn't crank up the visceral impact and pyrotechniques the way top thriller writers do today, but that's okay by me.
Stacy Simpson
Nov 20, 2010 Stacy Simpson rated it it was ok
it was not a bad book but it didnt hold my interest because it's not my kind of book. However it did bring up a good point that we should all do our part and make as many people as we can aware that we really need to take better care of our planet!
April
Jun 20, 2013 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. Interesting plot and really got me to think. There was only one thing that was kind of predictable(for me, anyway), but compared to the rest of the book it wasn't a big deal that it was. Definitely recommend it.
Ethan
Dec 21, 2011 Ethan rated it it was amazing
this book is amazing. the plot draws you in and you cant let go. Be prepared for many twists and dilemmas that you dont see coming
Hildegart
May 11, 2012 Hildegart rated it it was ok
I bought this book after having really enjoyed his book title the Donor. For whatever reason, I struggled to get through this book.
Realcpu Muhammad
May 20, 2007 Realcpu Muhammad added it
Recommends it for: my Palz
This is the best of the thrillers i have ever met b/4 Frank. M. Robinson seems to be a wonderful writer...
CPU
Rebecca
May 06, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
meh. I guessed some of the big plot twists. An interesting idea that dragged out too long.
Natalie
Sep 26, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
i found this book interesting, but the end was a let down...and seemed melodramatic.
Carol
Mar 21, 2014 Carol rated it did not like it
P. U.
Phair
Loved this one. Very thought provoking and exciting as well.
Bill Nobes
Jan 29, 2011 Bill Nobes rated it liked it
Not a bad page turner but somewhat flat at the end of the day.
Sara
Jul 07, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Okay, but not as good as I was hoping.
  • Pressure Drop
  • Joe Hill
  • Survivor
  • The Speed Queen
  • Why Sinatra Matters
Frank M. Robinson was an American science fiction and techno-thriller writer. he got his start writing for the old pulp fiction magazines. He wrote several novels with Thomas N. Scortia until Scortia's death in 1986.

More about Frank M. Robinson...

“looked back only once, to glance at the spot where Little Fox had been given to the Spirit of the Flames” 0 likes