Start by marking “The Power” as Want to Read:
The Power

The Power

The Power is a science fiction classic from the 1950s. After the book's initial publication, it was produced as a TV special starring Theodore Bikel and later as a George Pal film starring George Hamilton and Suzanne Pleshette. It is the tale of a mutant superman in hiding and the terrifying search to find him.
Published March 2nd 2000 by Tor Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power

Jim
Nov 21, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
An old school paranormal book from back in the 50's. No mythical critters, just some humans with an extraordinary ability. Chillingly well done because it was so believable. It has an extra twist at the end to send the message home. Excellent.
Chris
Oct 18, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
I’ve got this awful habit of starting my reviews by mentioning that I acquired the book in question while thriftily scouring a resale shop, and I’m not going to stray far from my simple intro in this instance, because I happened to purchase this particular book at such an establishment as well. To anyone who’s been kind enough to suffer through the banality of one of my reviews, you’re going to get this old song and dance again, but I feel it always must be mentioned since I never know who is go ...more
Andrew
Sep 06, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
This is one of those books (and I am sure everyone who reads a lot has them) that you read from time to time, dip in and out of and generally read it more as the seasons change than as a determined reading experience. Well this (and a few others are mine) they sit around with book marks in various chapters never seeming to move for month to month (both book and book mark) till one day I think ok I am at loose end and I pick it up to read - inadvertently stumbling over the key plot line and thats ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 19, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it
Oddly the synopsis here holds what I would call "the major spoiler" about this book.

A small group of people stumbles on evidence that "someone" with amazing psychic power may exist...and start to be "removed". Except one of them while his life is switched, changed, and ruined...survives and continues to search.

They made a movie of this and gave what might be called a more, "happy" ending. The book is different it has one of the most chilling endings I've ever read.

This book is a little hard to f
Craven Lovelace
For over 40 years, I've loved a nowadays little-discussed film by George Pal called "The Power." It made a big impression on me as a kid, and even as an adult, I found it to be a taut and interesting science fiction thriller with strains of Hitchcockian suspense. Recently, I stumbled across the original novel by Frank M. Robinson and discovered that many of the things I loved about the film were straight out of the book (even the scene that seems to have been designed to allow Pal to exercise hi ...more
Abner Rosenweig
Jul 24, 2014 Abner Rosenweig rated it it was amazing
This book falls into one of my favorite sub-genres, the psychological sci-fi thriller. Not the blockbuster thriller where there are hundred-million dollar effects exploding in your face every minute. The kind of thriller where most of the suspense comes from within the protagonist's mind as he wonders what is happening and how he can untangle himself from a difficult situation. The narrative is fast-paced, cinematic, even Hitchcockian. The text is sharply written and the reader quickly becomes i ...more
Grant
Oct 20, 2009 Grant rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
team of academics pairs with the Navy to find a superman they somehow are convinced exists. apparent telekinetic movement of a cocktail umbrella in a drink confirms that The Power resides among them. cue cat and mouse chase.

publisher's summary (three ¶'s in addition to the back cover material--so much text surrounds this 1957 Bantam paperback edition of the '56 release--readers digest ads, treasury of SF editions, order form of Bantam sf titles, ad for John O'Hara novels and Bantam at large, its
John Faubion
Aug 04, 2013 John Faubion rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of suspense

We've all got one. A favorite book.

I was eleven years old when The Power showed up at our house, probably late 1956. My father was personnel manager (read: HR) at a big book bindery in Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts. So we got all kinds of promotional books in the mail.

I remember two things particularly about The Power. The beginning and the end.

The Beginning: Bill Tanner is on a committee investigating the possibility that a superman exists. Someone a notch up on the evolutionary scale for man.
Werner
Feb 09, 2016 Werner rated it really liked it
Good book, one of my favourites.
Not dated in any way - I've re-read it a couple of times.
As many people have remarked, the ending is really good.
Ingrid Wood
Dec 30, 2012 Ingrid Wood rated it really liked it
Another great book by Robinson. Different from the Dark Beyond the Starts, but what's similar is the theme of not knowing who we ourselves really are...
Djiezes
Aug 14, 2008 Djiezes marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction, my-library
Dutch Title: "Wedren met een Supermens"
Nadim
Jul 16, 2008 Nadim rated it liked it
not bad. worth a look.
jack christy
jack christy rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Sammy Chapman
Sammy Chapman marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Harvey Godchild
Harvey Godchild rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
JeffD
JeffD rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Peggy Geiger
Peggy Geiger marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Fred Vogelzang
Fred Vogelzang rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Johan Wanloo
Johan Wanloo rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Hilton Harris
Hilton Harris rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Linda Jensen
Linda Jensen marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Peter
Peter added it
Mar 11, 2016
Milleetunefins
Milleetunefins rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Frank M. Robinson was an American science fiction and techno-thriller writer. he got his start writing for the old pulp fiction magazines. He wrote several novels with Thomas N. Scortia until Scortia's death in 1986.

Born in Chicago, Illinois. Robinson was the son of a check forger. He started out in his teens working as a copy boy for International News Service and then became an office boy for Zi
More about Frank M. Robinson...