Start by marking “Blood of Innocents: The True Story of Multiple Murder in West Memphis, Arkansas” as Want to Read:
Blood of Innocents: The True Story of Multiple Murder in West Memphis, Arkansas

Blood of Innocents: The True Story of Multiple Murder in West Memphis, Arkansas

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Written by the investigative team that covered the shocking and controversial story as it was breaking, this work is an in-depth account of three teenagers convicted in the brutal murders of three eight-year-old boys.
Published March 1st 2000 by Pinnacle (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Blood of Innocents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood of Innocents

Feb 27, 2011 Braxton rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
This book is extremely biased against the accused killers. It was written while the trial was going on, so the controversy surrounding the case isn't touched upon. Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three is a much better source of information. It was written after the trials, and talks in detail about the coerced confession, the lack of evidence, and witnesses who recanted their statements after the trial, among other things.
Chris Ramsey
About 15 years ago, I saw the first documentary (Paradise Lost) as an HBO special, delving into the apparent problems with this case surrounding the investigation of the accused (and ultimately convicted) and also the follow up to it, several years later. I recently ran across this book in a used book store. In a weird way, throughout both the documentaries and while reading this book, I felt a certain kinship shared with Damien Echols (from the perspective of my late teenage years) that has alw ...more
Penny Chance
This book doesn't have all the facts. It was poorly written, worse than your average newspaper article. Devil's Knot is a much more accurate telling of the story. It is obvious what the writer thinks about the accused young men. So much was left out of this book. This case is notorious for reasonable doubt, yet the author left out so many facts, it is hard to tell it is the same case. Very disappointing. Looks like someone is just trying to make a little money off this tragedy instead of get to ...more
in many ways this is a horrific book..not only does it deal with the sadistic killing of three young boys but in confronts the real possibility that the court case and convictions that followed were a sham.
at the time of writing the accused are free under a strange deceleration that they can maintain their innocence whilst the state can retain their credibility by claiming there was enough evidence for a conviction...that said given that witnesses have since been discredited and the lack of murd
Apr 10, 2008 Julie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Julie by: someone who knows I am a WM3 supporter
I would give this negative 5 stars if I could.

Wildly biased and poorly written. Check out Devil's Knot for a truer, clearer, and unbiased account.
This book is the reason that I don't read True Crime novels very often.

Regardless of what I think of the WM3 and who killed Stevie, Chris and Michael, this book is poorly written and almost painful to read. It was written during the trials, and quite obviously it was written quickly, to try and make a few dollars off this now-famous case.

In several places, the author makes things up simply to fill in the holes in the story, as if this were fiction and not a real life event.

If you want to learn
Apr 26, 2010 Mary added it
I am currently reading this book and I have alot of knowledge of the case, and i really don't like what I am reading
Biased, biased, biased. I guess you could say the author's bias and my own just don't mesh very well.
K. L. Petersen
A lot of pages of nothing...but that's not really the writers fault is it?
Lee-ann Dunton
A very biased look at the story of the West Memphis Three.
This book horrified me. It is not recent and they wrote it in such a way that you ended the book believing these boys were heartless child killers. After i was finished i started doing some research online and found all these groups dedicated to freeing these boys, because they were wrongly accused. New forensics have proven they were innocent and that one of the kids step dads was the killer. They have been released. Its amazing to read the book now and cross it to interviews of the family memb ...more
Not well written, but worthwhile to read for anyone who has followed this case. (Will see if Devil's Knot is a better telling of the story.)
Samantha Osborne
i was good and interesting but a little slow i wish they could've added what happened to them now but it was still a good book
I would have had a very hard time if I were on the jury of this case. They just had so little evidence. I think the whole thing was decided on emotion rather than fact. The only thing they had was Misskelley's confession and even that was suspect. The police made many mistakes. I don't like to see criminals get off on technicalities, but I'm kind of surprised they didn't in this case.
Great read. I dont believe it was completely unbiased though. The book never mentioned Miskelly recanting his confession immediately after making it. Or did this not happen? Im am not sure on wether Echols, Baldwin, or Miskelly commited the murder. What I am sure of is that there was not near enough evidence to prove these boys commited the murder (beyond a shadow of adoubt).
Three Cub scout friends, together, ride their bikes into the woods and before dawn all three are found dead!

Good book if you like true crime.

The first book published on the West Memphis Three, but certainly not the best. Just ok; Devil's Knot is much much better.
Kim Hunt
I'm still not sure if they're guilty or innocent. Definitely a good read though.
Paula Fry
Paula Fry marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Betty marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Yeh added it
Aug 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Mark Byers Book "Untying the devils knot"? 1 2 Mar 11, 2013 05:26AM
  • Until It Hurts: America's Obsession with Youth Sports and How It Harms Our Kids
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
  • The Killing of Karen Silkwood: The Story Behind the Kerr-McGee Plutonium Case
  • The Man Who Killed Boys: The John Wayne Gacy, Jr. Story
  • The Boy in the Box: The Unsolved Case of America's Unknown Child
  • Shots in the Dark: True Crime Pictures
  • My Life at Grey Gardens: 13 Months and Beyond
  • The Death of Innocents: A True Story of Murder, Medicine, and High-Stake Science
  • The Social Order of the Underworld: How Prison Gangs Govern the American Penal System
  • The Killer Department: Detective Viktor Burakov's Eight-Year Hunt for the Most Savage Serial Killer in Russian History
  • How Not to Die: Surprising Lessons on Living Longer, Safer, and Healthier from America's Favorite Medical Examiner
  • After Etan: The Missing Child Case that Held America Captive
  • The Human Predator: A Historical Chronicle of Serial Murder and Forensic Investigation
  • Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining: America's Toughest Family Court Judge Speaks Out
  • Impossible: The Case Against Lee Harvey Oswald; Volume One
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • The Death of Innocents: An Eyewitness Account of Wrongful Executions