Start by marking “The Glory (The Hope and the Glory, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Glory (The Hope and the Glory, #2)

The Glory (The Hope and the Glory #2)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,206 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Like no other novelist at work today, Herman Wouk has managed to capture the sweep of history in novels rich in character and alive with drama. In "The Hope," which opens in 1948 and culminates in the miraculous triumph of 1967's Six-Day War, Wouk plunges the reader into the story of a nation struggling for its birth and then its survival. As the tale resumes in "The Glory ...more
Published June 3rd 2002 by Back Bay Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glory

The Chosen by Chaim PotokThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakMy Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim PotokSophie's Choice by William Styron
Jews in Literature
163rd out of 482 books — 254 voters
Chariots on the Highway by Limor MoyalA Tale of Love and Darkness by Amos OzExodus by Leon UrisLovingkindness by Anne RoipheThe Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain
Books Set in Israel
66th out of 79 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

This is the second book of the series "The Hope and the Glory."

In this epic novel, the author describes the following historical events: the sinking of the Israeli ship Eilat by Soviet rockets fired by the Egyptian Navy; the Yom Kippur War, the dramatic Entebbe rescue, and bomb Iraq's nuclear reactor in 1981; and the visit of Anwar Sadat to Israel.

The historical characters mentioned in this book are the following: Yonatan Netanyahu, Golda Meir, Ariel Sharon, Anwar Sadat, Moshe Dayan, and David E
Walter
Jan 29, 2015 Walter rated it really liked it
"The Glory" is the second volume of the two volume epic of the war history of Israel from its founding in 1948 until around 1990. "The Glory" covers the period from just after the Six Day War in 1967 until around 1990. Honestly, this novel struck me as much the same as the "Winds of War" and the "War and Remembrance" novels of Wouk. Both "The Glory" and "War and Remembrance" are about the wartime adventures of a military family, members of which served in all fronts of the war, the senior member ...more
Blakely
Feb 24, 2014 Blakely rated it it was ok
I really, really wanted to like this book. It has many good qualities: it's absorbing, it's exciting, it's hard to put down.

But the fact is that every single female character in this book basically serves as a plot device to further develop the stories of the male characters. The bottom line is that this is a 700 page book that fails the Bechdel Test.
Perry Whitford
In this sequel to Wouk's novel about the birth of Israel in 1948 to their defeat of the joint Arabic forces in the Six Day War in 1967, The Hope, the focus this time is largely on the extraordinary Yom Kippur War / Ramadan War of 1973, when the Israelies showed all their characteristic daring and resolve to rescue victory from the jaws of defeat against overwhelming odds.

Israel's sense of security lasts barely a matter of months after the Six Day War before the Egyptians once again tip the regi
Ben Dummitt
Oct 17, 2013 Ben Dummitt rated it really liked it
'The Glory' lives up to the level of excellence established with the it's predecessor ('The Hope') and in fact exceeds it somewhat. This is an account of Isreal before, after, and during the Yom Kippur War told from the perspective of fictional characters who interact with notable historical figures, including Golda Meir, Anachem Begin, and Henry Kissenger among others. As usual, Herman Wouk does an excellent job of intermingling these personalities and presenting complicated historical events i ...more
Michael
Apr 07, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"The Hope" and "The Glory" are my alltime favorite books. I have read them at least once a year for the last 15 years.

Wouk tells a very gripping story of war, hope, friendship and love in a tale that spans decades. In an approach known from "Winds of War" and "War and Rememberance" he lets his fictional protagonists intermingle closely with historical events and real characters - without detouring too much from history as it really unfolded.

His characters are very well portrayed and nicely work
Jamie Guildea
Apr 17, 2015 Jamie Guildea rated it it was amazing
The Glory has you captivated from the very beginning as the end of The Hope has you yearning to know what happens next. Wouk does brilliantly to continue the romances which helps personify characters and Wouk does this better than any author. The romanced of Don Kishote and Shayna is one of the greatest plot lines of the movie. Wouk does brilliantly to follow and cover all angles during Israel's fledgling years.. Civilian life, military life, politics and love life. The book is a roller coaster ...more
Mike Brunn
Mar 30, 2015 Mike Brunn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could lose my job, because I don't want to stop reading.

Wow. Like War and Remembrance and Winds of War a story based on real historical facts,behind-the-scenes politics weaving fictional characters throughout the times to give the past a flavor. Mr. Wouk you are the master.
Dennis
Apr 09, 2015 Dennis rated it really liked it
4+ stars - maybe even 5. This book, along with the Hope, tells the story of Israel from 1948 to 1988 using real and fictional characters. Even though the two books are novels, Wouk strives to be as historically accurate as possible. If you have any interest in the history of Israel then you must read these books.
Ed
Feb 20, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Historical Novel - a continuation of "The Hope", traces Israel from the 6 Day War of 1967 to its 40th anniversary celebration of 1988. Most of the action is in preparation and narration of 1973's Yom Kippur War. The next 15 years are summarily handled.
Sharon Lam
Jun 14, 2015 Sharon Lam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and absorbing

The Glory is a well-written and absorbing historical drama about the State of Israel since the six day war. Wouk uses historical figures with fictional ones to bring about an easily read and absorbing work.
Ed Draper
Sep 09, 2015 Ed Draper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping novel

Fascinating historical augmentation of israeli national biography. Couldn't put it down. Classic Wouk military story. Ranks with Cain Mutiny, Winds of War, and War and Remembrance.
Victoria
Apr 26, 2014 Victoria rated it liked it
This was the fifth and last in a set that Wouk planned to cover ' the destruction and the resurgence: the Jewish epic of the twentieth century'. In this group, I enjoyed 'Winds of War' and 'War and Remembrance' more. I had hoped for a third book about those characters. Since Wouk is in his nineties, that's probably not going to happen. I've never disliked any book by Wouk including "Youngblood Hawke' which has been described as 'lurid', 'Marjorie Morningstar', Don't Stop the Carnival'. etc. He d ...more
Ginny
Jun 05, 2014 Ginny rated it it was amazing
Read it before going to Israel. Highly recommend. Provides very good understanding.
Gcasa
Mar 15, 2014 Gcasa rated it it was amazing
this is the way to learn history.
Ruth Jalfon
Oct 09, 2014 Ruth Jalfon rated it it was amazing
outstanding Wouk
Wendy
Dec 26, 2015 Wendy rated it did not like it
Awful. I thought this would be great because of my interest in history. The characters were poorly done and I had no interest in them. The history was one sided and again poorly written. And don't get me started on the portrayal of women.
Christopher St
Dec 14, 2015 Christopher St rated it it was amazing
The Hope and The Glory (combined) are my new all-time favorite piece of historical fiction. I am really sad I finally finished this book and that there is not another episode to look forward to.

A book could not have been written that would have been more entertaining and more historically accurate simultaneously. I am now looking forward to reading Wouk's better-known novels.
Joyce
Sep 03, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed from public library. Adult historical fiction.
Israel from 1968-1988. God's Sovereignty comes through with ungodly Jews as characters and author! Good for seeing the world from other than American view. Objective rather than subjective. Lots of affairs! PRetty factual. Events in the 1980s we as Americans weren't really aware of happening.
Jerry Chesser
Jun 22, 2015 Jerry Chesser rated it it was amazing
Superb, inspiring book about the courage required as Israel was brutally attacked. I remember the '67 war as though it were this morning, though I was only 10 years old. I didn't need an adult to tell me the significance of Jerusalem once again part of the Jewish nation.
Lindsey
Sep 01, 2014 Lindsey rated it liked it
There were parts that I had a hard time getting through- some if the battle scenes were just too detailed to closely hold my attention- but in the end the characters and the broader historical significance of the events the book covers were enough to keep me interested. I wouldn't necessarily reread it, but am glad I made it to the end.
Patrick
Mar 12, 2012 Patrick rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
I would have preferred that Wouk concentrated more on the events that shaped a young Israel and less on the love lives of his fictional characters. The sinking of The Eilat gets fewer words than some woman having an affair. It read more like "Peyton Place". Maybe I would have a different opinion if I had read The Hope first.
Victoria
Jan 19, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it
Continuation of the Hope. this one focuses on the Yom Kippor War. a good historical fiction about Israel 1967-1988 as seen through the eyes of four fictional families. Each man has an important job in the military so that the reader can see all the various aspects of the war.
Sep 28, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
An absorbing and interesting read, but left me wanting. The passage of time felt forced and out-of-touch, not flowing and natural. Too many characters, the way their lives are interwoven, too confusing. Does not have the cohesion and flow of Winds of War-War and Remembrance.
Jessica
Aug 31, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
The Glory was slightly slower to read than The Hope due to more war scenes that I personally was not as interested in, but still a great sequel and necessary to create the full picture of Israel in its formative years. Both, in order, are highly recommended.
Ted Cross
Well written, but this type of book highlights exactly what is wrong when characters are unsypmpathetic. Not that Wouk didn't write his characters to be sympathetic, but the whole history of what's going on in Israel just makes me really angry at all sides involved.
Robert Grant
Jul 07, 2011 Robert Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magnificent sequel to The Hope. Just a brilliant piece of fiction that truly captures what it must have felt like to be a Jewish person during this period in Israeli history. Great read!!
Tc
Jul 22, 2011 Tc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very interesting in that it actually fills out a lot of things I only vaugely remember hearing about as a kid when it was happening.
Eric
Dec 28, 2009 Eric rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable historical novel about Israel from the middle 60's to the 80's. It is best to read the the Hope first as this is a continuation of the saga.
Jacque
Nov 11, 2009 Jacque rated it it was amazing
Another fine novel that is a sequel to "The Hope." I learned so much about the recent history of the rebuilding of the Jewish state of Israel.
  • The Genizah at the House of Shepher
  • The Arab-Israeli Wars: War and Peace in the Middle East
  • The Brigade: An Epic Story of Vengeance, Salvation & World War II
  • Only Yesterday
  • Surrender Is Not an Option: Defending America at the United Nations
  • The Israelis: Ordinary People in an Extraordinary Land (Updated in 2008)
  • The Wind of the Khazars
  • Kasztner's Train: The True Story of Rezso Kaztner, Unknown Hero of the Holocaust
  • The Yom Kippur War: The Epic Encounter That Transformed the Middle East
  • The Case for Peace: How the Arab-Israeli Conflict Can Be Resolved
  • A History of Israel: From the Rise of Zionism to Our Time (Second Edition, Revised and Updated)
  • In the Arena: A Memoir of Victory, Defeat, and Renewal
  • A Day of Small Beginnings: A Novel
  • The Last of the Just
Herman Wouk is a bestselling, Pulitzer Prize-winning Jewish American author with a number of notable novels to his credit, including The Caine Mutiny, The Winds of War, and War and Remembrance.

Herman Wouk was born in New York City into a Jewish family that had emigrated from Russia. After a childhood and adolescence in the Bronx and a high school diploma from Townsend Harris High School, he earned
More about Herman Wouk...

The Hope and the Glory (2 books)
  • The Hope (The Hope and the Glory, #1)

“screws on the cowlings. Only a divine miracle” 0 likes