Start by marking “The Art of My Neighbor Totoro” as Want to Read:
The Art of My Neighbor Totoro

The Art of My Neighbor Totoro

First published by Tokuma Shoten Co., Ltd. in Japan.
Published November 8th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC

The Art of Tangled by Jeff KurttiThe Art of How to Train Your Dragon by Tracey Miller-ZarnekeThe Art of Brave by Jenny LerewThe Art of Rise of the Guardians by Ramin ZahedThe Art of The Lion King by Christopher Finch
The Art of the Film, Part 1
12th out of 164 books — 75 voters
The Art of Howl's Moving Castle by Hayao MiyazakiThe Art of Spirited Away by Hayao MiyazakiThe Art of Kiki's Delivery Service by Hayao MiyazakiThe Art of Ponyo by Hayao MiyazakiThe Art of My Neighbor Totoro by Hayao Miyazaki
Top Animation Art/Making Books
5th out of 185 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Parka
Dec 05, 2012 Parka rated it it was amazing
The Art of Totoro
(Picture source: parkablogs.com)

Fans of Miyazaki's movies won't be disappointed by this book. It has lots of concept art, sketches, water colour storyboards, character design and beautiful paintings of the countryside.

Some of the art are captioned by Miyazaki to give you insight into the scenes.

At the end of the book is a summary of the film's production process. There are interviews with key production staff, including the music director Joe Hisaishi.

This book is easily a classic, just like th
Tati Dengo
Jan 18, 2016 Tati Dengo rated it it was amazing
These are always a treat. If you are a fan of the movies, don't think twice before buying this. You get to spend as much time as you want drooling over the flawlessly inspiring scenery.
Amle
Aug 25, 2012 Amle rated it it was amazing
This art book is full of wonderful pictures; from the first character designs, storyboard images and concept sketches, to the cel art for the film.
With image descriptions and the occasional quote from Miyazaki and the art director, Oga, you see the attention to detail, the light, the colours, the textures and the pure joy of the story reflect from every page.
A book to revisit many times in the future.
Molly
Mar 08, 2015 Molly rated it it was amazing
I might not be impartial (as a Miyazaki fan) but ... great book.
Canesgalactica
Feb 20, 2013 Canesgalactica rated it liked it
Another one of those art books that Studio Ghibli has so graciously put out. This book is mostly images (as one would expect), but is really devoid of concept sketches or pre-production sketches. It focuses a lot more on the cel techniques they employed with the making of this film as well as describing things they did to get a more cinematic feel or concept they were going for.

There are *some* concept sketches at the beginning, but as mentioned, most of this focuses on the cel art itself (which
Amy
Jan 04, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
I love this art book. It really helps show how Miyazaki designed the look of the film in some quick sketches that look like splotches of color and shapes and yet they're complex enough for you to see where he was going with his concept. His concept looks like finished pieces or still frames from the film. He's amazing and his quick sketches look great for a "quick sketch". He's a genius in my opinion and he's so humble about it which makes him more awesome.

My Neighbor Totoro is one of my favori
Jeremy Marx
Jun 16, 2016 Jeremy Marx rated it it was amazing
If your a fan of the movie, this book will give you more details on how the people and places have changed, from initial concept, to what you saw. This is a must read.
Amy M
Feb 16, 2016 Amy M rated it it was amazing
I finally had the chance to look at this book and it's just as good as I'd hoped. I will definitely be adding it to my personal library. I may be biased as "My Neighbor, Totoro" is my favourite Miyazaki/Studio Film, but this is a gorgeous book.

It contains early concept art by Miyazaki, original cell art from the film, and lots of storyboards, and beautiful background paintings. For anyone who has seen a Ghibli film will know that the settings always stand out on a technical level rarely seen in
Michelle Shiro
Oct 02, 2014 Michelle Shiro rated it it was amazing
this book was amazing. I loved it so much I couldn't stop reading it till the end. its one of my favorite books now.
Maddie
Jul 30, 2016 Maddie rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous artwork - I love the progression from "simple" sketches to the animation that I know and love.
Dony Grayman
Sep 07, 2016 Dony Grayman rated it really liked it
Shelves: decto, ed-usa
Edición en inglés del bello art-book dedicado a Tonari no Totoro. Quinchinésima reedición.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 19, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing
A large and wonderfully illustrated book about one of my favorite anime movies.
Helena
Aug 24, 2014 Helena rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book
krad
Feb 18, 2015 krad rated it really liked it

+ consistent high quality of art as to be expected from Studio Ghlibi

+ fascinating information in annotations and captions

+ extensive section on new animation techniques

+ good mix of storyboards, concept art, character art, and background art

- feels slightly lacking in content in comparison to other Studio Ghlibi books

Firman Widyasmara
Totoro! Siapa yang belum ikut tertawa dan riang gembira bersama kencangnya Catbus dan geraman Totoro di film ini? Kalau anda termasuk yang belum, cari segera filmnya, dan terjun bebaskan diri anda ke masa kecil yang riang dan kaya imaji. Lalu benamkan diri anda dalam buku kumpulan behind-the-scenes yang lengkap ini. Cuma satu kata... Amazing!
Shayla Fish
Jan 12, 2012 Shayla Fish rated it it was amazing
Any of the art books from Studio Ghibli is an enchanting, visual, orgasm. This book (much like the others) contains concept artwork of 1. what the characters could have looked like and 2. the characters we are familiar with. I absolutely love Miyazaki's simple watercolor storyboards and this book contains a lot of them!
τλιϓλ
Aug 31, 2013 τλιϓλ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hayao-miyazaki
وفي كل مرة أمسك بيدي كتابا من ستوديو غبلي أعرف أنني سأقرأ ما يُشبه الموسوعة من حيث التنظيم والتنسيق وحسن التقسيم وتوازن المعلومات والحكايات والصور..
هذا الكتاب ليس استثناء إذن بل هو من هذه الكتب الجميلة التي أعادت لي ذكريات رائعة عن فيلم أروع.
Shahna
Jun 13, 2013 Shahna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Beautiful book. I love it.
This is one of my favourite Miyazaki movies.
Isa
Aug 10, 2007 Isa rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
beautiful! flipping through the book is like revisiting a dear old friend :)
Brendan  McAuliffe
Aug 28, 2007 Brendan McAuliffe rated it liked it
A very deep secret of TOTORO is contained herein
Yoong
Nov 06, 2012 Yoong rated it it was amazing
nice story.... (^_^)
Deẵ   Pẵntsulẵia
Deẵ Pẵntsulẵia marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Ip
Ip rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Lilyanna
Lilyanna marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
BlaiddDrwg
BlaiddDrwg marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Ella Wright
Ella Wright marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Andrea Kanazawa
Andrea Kanazawa rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
  • The Art of The Secret World of Arrietty
  • The Art of Mulan
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • The Art of Brave
  • The Art of Ratatouille
  • The Art of Wreck-It Ralph
  • Okami Official Complete Works
  • The Art of Rise of the Guardians
  • Story (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • The Art of Hercules: The Chaos of Creation
  • The Art of Avatar: James Cameron's Epic Adventure
  • The Anime Art of Hayao Miyazaki
  • The Art of The Lord of the Rings
  • Hayao Miyazaki: Master of Japanese Animation
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao Takahata, then to N
More about Hayao Miyazaki...