Start by marking “The Art of Spirited Away” as Want to Read:

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  1,927 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The Art of Spirited Away collects colour illustrations of Spirited Away for the first time in an English edition! This book includes paintings and designs from the new animated film from the director of Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke. Large-size, hardcover coffee-table book featuring artwork from the renowned animated film, Spirited Away, directed by Hayao M ...more
Published August 25th 2002 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Spirited Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Spirited Away

The Art of Spirited Away by Hayao MiyazakiThe Art of Howl's Moving Castle by Hayao MiyazakiThe Art of Ponyo by Hayao MiyazakiThe Anime Art of Hayao Miyazaki by Dani CavallaroThe Art of The Secret World of Arrietty by Hiromasa Yonebayashi
Top Animation Art/Making Books
1st out of 185 books — 12 voters
The Art of Tangled by Jeff KurttiThe Art of How to Train Your Dragon by Tracey Miller-ZarnekeThe Art of Brave by Jenny LerewThe Art of Rise of the Guardians by Ramin ZahedThe Art of the Lion King by Christopher Finch
The Art of the Film, Part 1
18th out of 147 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrew
For this book I cannot sing its praises high enough. The animated films from Studio Ghibli are world renowned translated in to multiple languages and back from the likes of Walt Disney in their distribution and recognition.

The artwork and storyline blend together to form a timeless story which you cannot help be transported away with, from the world of Howls Moving Castle to the forests of Princess Mononoke to the magic of My Neighbour Totoro, Studio Ghibli have an uncanny ability to tell stori
Parka
The Art of Spirited Away
(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

The copy I'm reviewing is a Chinese version. The English version from VIZ Media Publishing is essentially the similar in content. Some of the English versions end with movie scripts, some don't.

As usual, there are lots of beautiful sketches on character design and concept art for the environment. They are all painted in traditional media. The bath house on one full page on its own is just breathtaking. There are only a handful of movie stills. Captions below the
Amy Lutchen
This book was an eye opener.

My initial reaction to receiving the book: "Oh my God, I LOVE Studio Ghibli! Everything is awesome (Yes, as in Lego awesome)! It's all so cute."

Read book.

Ending reaction: "Dear Lord, who the hell knew so much work went into creating an animated film? The amount of rejected ideas and work, the storyboards, the number of COLORS used in his distinctive films... It's all so overwhelming."

I've always adored Miyazaki's work, but now? I respect him so much more for his hard
Ben
This book is stunning. The quality of the printing and the weight of the pages make it feel like something special and well worth the money. The early production sketches and the comments from the Ghibli staff are greatly appreciated and provide a decent amount of insight into the creative process. Whilst the amount of film stills could be off putting to people who want to see things they haven't before, the images look so good on the glossy paper, particularly the full page ones, it's hard to i ...more
Plaguedoctor
I found this at one of my local books store and immediately new I needed it. It's a must have for any Spirited Away or Studio Ghibli fans. That is just beautiful and breath taking. It's a wonderful book to flip through.

photo tumblr_n9320sflU41spui9lo2_500.gif
Molly
Impossible not to enjoy. Miyazak = The Best.
Sara
I felt privileged to get a look into the behind the scenes creativity of this masterpiece. Beautiful, interesting, thought provoking.
Danielle
I love anything Hayao Miyazaki. Anything and everything. He's a genius.
مازن
كتاب بديع جدا ومليء بالرسومات ذات اﻷلوان المبهجه !
اعجبنى حديث الكاتب عن كل شخصيه و كيف تم تصميم و تعديل كل من هذه الشخصيات حتى تلائم الدور التى صممت له.

استمتعت كثيرا و انا اتذكر كل مشهد من الفيلم ! فى راى فيلم
"Spirited Away"
هو واحده من افضل الافلام الرسوم المتحركه اليابانيه على الاطلاق

بعض الرسومات و السكتشات الكتاب

Tati Dengo
This is a must have for any Spirited Away fan. It includes sketches, background paintings, movie stills and a handful of digital animation explanations that animation students or aficionados may find of interest.

The background paintings are the best part of the content, since they allow one to fully take in the meticulous amount of details which are only spotted at a glance in the movie. While it is useful to have adjacent movie stills in order to observe how the backgrounds were used, sadly mo
Lynley
The backgrounds in Studio Ghibli movies are especially beautiful, and this book allows your eye to linger upon them rather than pause your DVD.

I would have liked more explanation from the illustrators, or perhaps what I wanted was a movie guide. This book really is all about the art -- that is, looking at it.
Rachel Ramm
A beautiful book with many pictures of the stunning artwork from the movie Spirited Away. The book begins with concept sketches by Miyazaki, and then goes through the movie pictorially from beginning to end with commentary by the supervising animator Masashi Ando and art director Yoji Takeshige explaining their process and reasoning behind design choices. In the back is a section that details some of the innovative digital illustration methods they used, with pictures of the different 3D and 2D ...more
Shahna
Jan 11, 2015 Shahna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I love these books so much. gah!
Where are the rest of them?! I neeeeed them.
Chante Fuller
The book was amazing! As a Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli fan I was very impressed and it was more than I expected. Learned a lot about the movie than I had previously known and I enjoyed the CG explanation and how they broke everything down and explained it step by step. I look forward to reading the other art books by Ghibli!
Emily
This book is beautiful! A must-read for any Studio Ghibli fan. This amazing hard-cover book has gorgeous conecpt art, great stills from the movie (the majority of the book is movie stills- but that's definately not a bad thing!) and a wonderful screenplay. This book also includes Studio Ghibli's animation techniques, and how it was possible to create different scenes in Spirited Away. If you love Spirited Away, you will definately love this book. A beautiful book to accompany a beautiful film.
Zelyaine
Mmm. The artwork in the film is already excellent. Captured in the pages of this book, just delicious. The movie is brimming with so much detail that it would be a shame not to be able to explore it this closely. If you're into concept art, this is worth the investment as it's impossible to be satisfied with just one read-through.
Peter Landis
Full of beautiful illustrations.

The one disappointment I had was that a number of the images are stills directly from the movie, as opposed to production sketches. However, near the front there is a good section showing Miyazki's personal preliminary sketches for the movie; this makes the book worth it right here.
Madmortigan
Hell yes. Character model sheets. Concept art. Scene Layouts. This sucker has it all. I really wanted a book to study the art and design of Studio Ghibli and have to say this book went above and beyond. If you are a fan of the force of nature known as Miyazaki, this book will do you all sorts of good.
Talya
أكثر ما أحببت في هذا الكتاب هو الحديث عن تشوهيرو وكوهاكو، طريقة الرسم، ذكريات الرسامين، الحديث عن الشخصيات، الرسوم الأولية، عرض الفيلم وأمور أخرى كثيرة
كلها جاءت كعادة كتب ستوديو غبلي غاية في التنظيم والجمال وروعة في التنسيق يسودها التوازن بحيث لا يطغى جانب على جانب آخر..
استمتعت كثيرا به.
Shienny M.S.
Re-watching the movie and then seeing the concept art and design in this book only gives me more respect and admiration to all artist in ghibli studio :)
Kira
3.5 - this book is soo pretty to look through and to have sitting on my shelf. This was an insightful read into a movie i love very much!!
Carolyn
For art enthusiasts and Ghibli fanatics. Beautiful and enlightening as to the process of creating such a wonderful film.
Wendy
Apr 18, 2012 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned, art
GORGEOUS. Detailed look at Miyazaki's movie production art. Script (in English) in the back!
Gaëlle
This book is just AMAZING !!! It's so beautiful ... almost real ...
Asheroo
Love these books!
Cj
its very useful
Jüli
Jüli marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Ghada Abdullrahman
Ghada Abdullrahman marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
  • The Art of Up
  • The Art of Mulan
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • Okami Official Complete Works
  • The Art of Pixar: 25th Anniv.: The Complete Color Scripts and Select Art from 25 Years of Animation
  • The Art of Brave
  • Tale as Old as Time: The Art and Making of Beauty and the Beast
  • The Art of Ratatouille
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon
  • The Art of Finding Nemo
  • The Art of Rise of the Guardians
  • Fairies
  • Animation (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision
  • The Art of Walt Disney: From Mickey Mouse to the Magic Kingdoms
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 2
  • The Art of Tim Burton (Standard Edition)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Art of the Animated Series
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao Takahata, then to N
More about Hayao Miyazaki...
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #1) Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1 The Art of Howl's Moving Castle Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2) Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #3)