Start by marking “Hereticus (Eisenhorn, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hereticus (Eisenhorn, #3)

Hereticus (Eisenhorn #3)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  934 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In this concluding novel of Dan Abnett's sensational trilogy, a dark figure from the past returns to exact a cruel vengeance upon Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn.
Published (first published July 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hereticus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hereticus

johan _5179
Usually when we read a series, its quality goes down. The cliches appear, the setting gets stale, and the story is taken for a ride. Eisenhorn, I am very happy to say, breaks that trend.

Hereticus is a book of great sadness, a tome which brings the career of a celebrated Inquisitor and a great character to a close. The book is a good way to actually understand just how much you care for these characters. Abnett plays with the readers in a masterful way, making us hang on to every word, and he doe
Martin
If ‘Malleus’ was about choices then ‘Hereticus’ is about consequences.

It’s said that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, in which case ‘Hereticus’ details the reaction to the choices that the main character, Gregor Eisenhorn, has made up to the start of this novel. The choices that he made during his career as an Imperial Inquisitor have not always been easy. They have been hard, controversial, and some damn right blasphemous but they were all made in service to the Emperor
Ken
In Hereticus we witness Eisenhorn's change to radicalism, almost crossing over to becoming heretical as he goes against the very thoughts he once believed in and uses the power of the Warp against agents of the Warp. We see him struggle with his choices and the decisions over the use of the tainted knowledge. His organisation is destroyed and is hunted by a man know as Khanjar the Sharp. To make things worse, Eisenhorn is once again declared as a Heretic by the Inquisition for his involvement wi ...more
Kam
As I have mentioned before, in my review of Rapture, the last book of Kameron Hurley's incredible Bel Dame Apocrypha trilogy, I have a hard time staying away from the last book in a trilogy. Under normal circumstances I would space out my reading, but when I'm so close to the conclusion of a series I can practically taste it, this self-imposed rule tends to get broken for the sake of finding out, once and for all, just what happened to the characters in the book I just finished.

And this is the c
Наташа
Jason
A fitting ending to a rich adventure. While slightly disjointed, the major acts of this book contain some scenes of epic scope. The entire omnibus would make a fantastic movie series, and this final book proves it most resoundingly. And, curse you Abnett, the reintroduction of (view spoiler) as he's profoundly more interesting than the last time we spent with him, and (dare I sa ...more
Adriana
Doomsnake Nestrobber
Mel
I'm not a huge fan of Dan Abnett yet. I did quite enjoy this. There's just way too much action and not enough character building or world building. I really love the 40K setting but it seems that in far too many of the novels it just becomes a bit of background colour and nothing more. The most interesting parts in this involved the inquisitor and his use of heretic magic and the demon. But there was no growth or development that came out of this. I would love to read a strongly driven character ...more
Nathan
This is probably the best book in the Eisenhorn Trilogy. In addition to being Abnett's typically well-written action book, he spends a bit more time on the human condition and on the choices that Inquisitor Eisenhorn makes to try and fight the evil that would engulf the galaxy.

Eisenhorn slips. He crosses the line. And he pays the price. All his friends pay the price. It doesn't end in an uplifting way, but it does end the series in a satisfying manner.

After all, in the Grim Darkness of the Far F
Tomasz Stachewicz
Great wrap-up and conclusion of the Eisenhorn trilogy. Hard to say more without spoiling, it's just enough to say that Dan Abnett, the best writer amongst Black Library, lives up to the expectations.
Tim
The final part in the Eisenhorn Trilogy. Where Malleus (Warhammer 40,000) left me a bit disappointed about the speed in the story, this part did not let me down at all.

The trilogy is a great starting point for anyone who wants to get to know the harsh reality of the Warhammer40K universe, and what place the Inquistion takes in that reality.
Christopher Stilson
All the personal connection and emotion that should have been laced through the entire series is concentrated in one book, which makes it quite overwhelming. The situation is depressing, the ending abrupt, and the resolution... imperfect. Although, considering that the story takes place in a universe in which human society depends on a thousand deaths per day, this should not be surprising.
Mor
Reality is that Eisenhorn likes demon power. All things which are capable to defeat chaos contains chaos. Eisenhorn is radical, he fell but can't fully realize this fact. Thus Eisenhorn brings herecy into the world just to defeat it after that. Suspicious way to serve God. Strange love affair between demon and man. Funniest thing is that he is too straight and can't understand situation.
Alexander Suzdaltsev
3 книга цикла оказалась уныла в середине, но конец был неплохим. Единственно - скомкан конец. Есть продолжение или это весь цикл про Эйзенхорна?
Chompa
A solid read, though a low note to end the trilogy on. I guess the dark & mysterious ending is in keeping with the setting though.
Michael
To be reviewed under the omnibus title Eisenhorn.
John
It was good, just not enough to hold my attention.
Brandon Hickey
A thrilling conclusion to the Eisenhorn saga.
Mark Grant
GreaT INteresting book
Thomas Teitsma
Thomas Teitsma marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • Warriors of Ultramar
  • Grey Hunter
  • For The Emperor
  • Grey Knights (Grey Knights, #1)
  • Faith and Fire
  • Angels of Darkness
  • The Emperor's Gift
  • Dark Apostle
  • Wolf's Honour
Horus Rising Eisenhorn (Eisenhorn, #1-3) Legion First and Only The Founding

“Have you noticed we can breathe in here too?
Gosh, I wouldn't have picked up on that.”
16 likes