Start by marking “The Hero Schliemann: The Dreamer Who Dug for Troy” as Want to Read:
The Hero Schliemann: The Dreamer Who Dug for Troy

The Hero Schliemann: The Dreamer Who Dug for Troy

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Archaeologist? Mythmaker? Crook? This engaging, illustrated biography of Heinrich Schliemann — a nineteenth-century romantic who most believe did find the ancient city of Troy — reveals him to be a fascinating mixture of all three.

From the time Heinrich Schliemann was a boy — or so he said — he
knew he was destined to dig for lost cities and find buried treasure. And if Sc
Published July 11th 2006 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Hero Schliemann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hero Schliemann

Maria McGrath
Heinrich Schliemann was a treasure-seeker out to make his own myth. Author Laura Amy Schlitz, a librarian and professional storyteller, says:
“When I began researching Schliemann’s life, I thought, What a story! And it was all true. Then I read more and discovered that some of it wasn’t true. My romantic hero was a mythmaker and a liar. At that point, I was really hooked . . .”
This book lays out such a fascinating life story that at times one wonders why Heinrich Schliemann didn’t just tell the
Rebecca Radnor
A children's textbook about the man who claimed to have found Troy and the science of archeology. It starts out as a normal children's book, and you get the distinct impression *cough* that the author doesn't have a high opinion of Schliemann; as in she starts out saying he was a massive lier and proceeds to pock holes into him at every opportunity. However, the author does this with a sort of perverse tongue in cheek cynicism that is kind of fun, and involves you in his story. What Schlitz does ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
I wish the illustrations were better and more abundant. Many are too small and there is no sense of grandeur. The story is interesting, but the concurrent telling of the false and true sides of things does not make for such an engaging read. There is too much interruption.
Barbara Lovejoy
I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. I knew nothing about this story, and I found myself fascinated.
Fascinating introduction to a very odd but historically important person--not your usual hero, but I think that's good for kids to see, that "heroes" can be flawed, make mistakes--even huge ones! Left me with lots of questions, with some funny gaps in details. Like: where did Schliemann build his "Palace of Troy" mansion*? But a biography for younger readers can only include so much. Love her analogy of ancient ruins as a big pile of laundry--apt and accessible for the intended audience. Anyway, ...more
a quick read, entertaining.I'm inspired to read more in depth coverage of the man
Susan Chapek
Terrific. Entertaining as well as enlightening.
The writing was nowhere near what I was hoping from this book. But, as we had run into tales of Schliemann and his finds throughout our History studies we just had to give it a try. I was disappointed, though the information was interesting and it was nice to have the story fleshed out. My son who is captivated by all things Greek, especially Troy, was on the edge of his seat the whole time. He was thrilled with each new connection Schliemann made. So, I would not call it a loss on the whole.
Heinrich Schliemann is a controversial figure. Yes, he helped prove that the Odyssey and Iliad were based on fact, but he also destroyed thousands of years of the archaeological record of Troy by digging through its ruins. This book is a nice Junior level biography, showing both the good and the bad about the man. A must for any Grade 4 to 6 student studying Troy.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love the way Schlitz told the story of Heinrich Schliemann!
She told the truth about his dishonesty and did an excellent job of portraying him as the mixture of pompous millionaire and dedicated, passionate scholar that he was. I would have given this text a Newbery, as her writing style is delightful. I can't wait for her next book!
I actually liked this book a lot. It's a quick, light read, but very interesting and well told. It's made me curious about archeology and Homer as well. A good read for any age.
What a fascinating man. He sure gives a great case for why honesty is important if you are gonna try and make history.
Alex DK
Interesting biography. Read this book for history, as an extra to the archaeology chapter.
Carrie F.
I think I read this. It was with my mother and I think it was in Spanish.
Ian is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2015
Ammour Kenza
Ammour Kenza marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Carol marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Tom marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Freema Telotoy
Freema Telotoy marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Karina added it
Sep 08, 2015
Laura added it
Sep 02, 2015
Brian Mccue
Brian Mccue marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Kevin Zoller
Kevin Zoller marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Noelle Leader
Noelle Leader marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Samantha Swart
Samantha Swart marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Laura Shovan
Laura Shovan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Amelie! marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Laura Amy Schlitz has spent most of her life as a librarian and professional storyteller. She is currently a librarian at the Park School in Baltimore, where she has worked since 1991. She is a winner of the 2008 John Newbery award for her book Good Masters, Sweet Ladies!

Ms. Schlitz lives in the Loch Hill section of Baltimore County. She is single with no children.

She has also been a playwright,
More about Laura Amy Schlitz...
Splendors and Glooms Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village A Drowned Maiden's Hair The Night Fairy The Hired Girl