Start by marking “The Hidden Connections: A Science for Sustainable Living” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Connections: A Science for Sustainable Living

The Hidden Connections: A Science for Sustainable Living

Fritjof Capra, bestselling author of The Tao of Physics and The Web of Life, here explores another frontier in the human significance of scientific ideas—applying complexity theory to large-scale social interaction.

In the 1980s, complexity theory emerged as a powerful alternative to classic, linear thought. A forerunner of that revolution, Fritjof Capra now continues to e
Published January 6th 2004 by Anchor (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Connections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Connections

A. Steven
Jun 20, 2010 A. Steven rated it it was amazing
I have used this as my primary text for a grad class I teach in systems theory. I find Capra's work, and this one specifically, very engaging and mind opening. That being said, it is not for the faint of heart. As some of my students tell me, "There are big words in this book and I needed a dictionary to read it."

I find that the process Capra uses for developing his universal theory of systems to be complelling and I use this to set the stage for beginning to understand complex adaptive human s
Amin
Jan 02, 2017 Amin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: غیرادبی
کتابی است بسیار خواندنی و با دامنه گسترده از کاربردها و ریشه های علم پایداری در حوزه های گوناگون. نخستین مواجهه من با مفهوم پیچیدگی در معنای زیستی و سیستم ها از این کتاب و نقدهای کاپرا به فرضیات ساده انگارانه داوکینز شروع شد. بعد ها این مفاهیم حتی انگیزه ای شد برای دنبال کردن جدی تر علم پیچیدگی در حوزه های اجتماعی و تکنولوژیکی و در فضای آکادمیک
Iustina
Feb 23, 2013 Iustina rated it really liked it
Într-o lume în care oamenii produc doar ca să consume, într-un proces în care epuizează resurse şi poluează, ca să nu zic că-şi bat joc de o natură cu care am fost binecuvântaţi, e bine că există oameni care nu au acea tunnel vision (gândirea tunel)la al cărui capăt, pentru mulţi, se află banul. Cartea lui Capra ne aduce aminte că suntem parte integrantă a unui sistem natural care deşi evoulează, încă susţine viaţa, şi nu o distruge, aşa cum fac tehnologiile noastre. Ea prezintă realităţile cutr ...more
Juan Manuel  Charry Urueña
May 28, 2014 Juan Manuel Charry Urueña rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: main
Los paralelos entre la vida, la mente y la sociedad, desde un enfoque sistémico, son sorprendes; los seres humanos somos los catalizadores del mundo. Las propuestas políticas, vistas con la perspectiva de 12 años después, parecen coyunturales e ingenuas. Algunas de las cosas que dice el libro: Dinámica no lineal. La red es el patrón común a todo lo vivo. La vida avanza constantemente hacia la novedad. La vida es una red metabólica delimitada por una membrana, autogénetica y organizativamente cer ...more
Elinor Hurst
Oct 02, 2013 Elinor Hurst rated it really liked it
A brilliant, inspiring book. Fritjof Capra has an impressive ability to synthesise scientific and philosophical thinking across a broad range of disciplines, and to explain concepts to the general reader which build up to an awe inspiring explanation of the natural world, and vision for a better, more sustainable and life affirming future for our species. The new scientific concepts of the basis of life explained in his earlier book, "The Web of Life" are revisited here, and then drawn together ...more
Lenaya
Nov 13, 2007 Lenaya rated it it was amazing
This book tied together many of the thoughts and feelings that I was having about the interconnectedness of life. It will deepen your understanding of most things, by recognizing who it's all intertwined. It's beautiful to think about the way music, art, culture, food, industry, civilization and all of life creates so many patterns that is this world. Very thought provoking and for me in particular it resonnated with my understanding of the connection of food, health and the environment.
Mar 18, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
Most of my classmates found this one to be very dense. I found it mind-opening - like going down the rabbit hole, it led to new paths and new ideas. Capra looks at systems (the human body, ecosystems, global economy) from a systems perspective and has much to say about sustainability. I think the world would be a better place if everyone read this book.
Andrea
Oct 26, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book I propose to extend the new understanding of life that has emerged from complexity theory to the social domain. To do so, I present a conceptual framework that integrates life's biological , cognitive and social dimensions. My aim is not only to offer a unified view of life, mind and society, but also to develop a coherent, systemic approach to some of the critical issues of our time. (xii)
I always worry about coherent systemic approaches to all things, just as I worry about the str
Sundarraj Kaushik
In this book the author compares how networking is a fundamental nature at all levels. He starts with how the single cell lifeforms evolved to complex cell lifeforms by forming communities which could grow in its own way internally while exchanging and getting external stimulus too.
He describes these external stimulus bring in a change in the community and this change may lead to a stable community with some changes from the earlier one, or may lead to the destruction of the community.
He compare
Simon Fowler
Apr 21, 2008 Simon Fowler rated it liked it
Fascinating and informative review of the 'basics' of biological life in the first half, but I was unconvinced by the logical progression from that to social application. There are too many aspects of the 'living systems' he goes into such great detail about that he then fails to apply. Biological life seems to serve more as an analogy than a directly applicable model for organizing social/economic life.

His approach becomes less believable as a science as his ideology becomes more obvious. His
Brandon
Aug 17, 2014 Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It would be correct, I suppose, to paraphrase all of what was already written on the back cover but that would be only half of the story. It is more than a dry development of General Systems Theory or a criticism of globalization. It is as much an argument against commercial science's, and by extension our own, over simplification of the world, against our conceit. The beauty of the book is to show how inextricably linked we are to everything. We are put very much into a continuum of living thin ...more
Glenn Ardi
Pertama-tama, buku ini jelas tidak saya disarankan sebagai bacaan ringan bagi siapapun.. tapi untuk para penggemar buku-buku 'berat' saya rasa anda tidak akan kecewa ~

Buku ini mencoba mengungkapkan suatu bentuk kerangka konseptual baru dengan cara mengintegrasi antara dimensi biologis, kognitif, dan sosial.

Terus terang, paradigma saya banyak berubah setelah saya membaca buku ini. Buku ini membuka wawasan saya secara luas tentang hakikat dari kehidupan, kesadaran, serta pemikiran, dari sudut pand
Ken Deshaies
May 19, 2012 Ken Deshaies rated it it was amazing
From cellular biology to social constructs to the dangers of GMOs and finally to the future of energy that will be required to provide a sustainable earth, Capra tackles the most intimate and the most complex in stunning and lucid form.

Under the study of complexity theory, or nonlinear dynamics, he traces our existence from our DNA to our involvement in society as a whole. While the first three chapters provide the scientific basis for our existence, the next three describe in some detail our e
The Capital Institute
Capra discusses the function and parts of an ecosystem, and the way the world is dealing with the one currently in place. His argument suggests that while the conventional view of nature is mechanical, it should in reality be more “organic,” where the system is a “living” network, shaped by values and purpose. This in turn, Capra argues, shapes the way a system is expected to respond to situations – consequently explaining the difficulty in changing corporate culture today. Capra discusses both ...more
Ricardo Roman
Nov 05, 2007 Ricardo Roman rated it it was amazing
Si internet nos ha entregado una comprensión del fenómeno social en redes, y de cómo los seres humanos vivimos/creamos en redes con otros, "Conexiones Ocultas" de Fritjof Capra (como su otro trabajo "La trama de la vida"), nos entrega una visión mucho más abarcadora del fenómeno de las redes, desde realidades micro (nano) hasta magnitudes cósmicas, pasando profundizando en elnivel de la biosfera y las realidades humanas de conocimiento, tecnología y política. Es un libro que toma posición por un ...more
Alejandro Ramirez
Sep 12, 2016 Alejandro Ramirez rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Otro de los libros en la vena de cognitive science. El autor es un físico que tiene un libro aparentemente famoso: The tao of Physics. Aunque suena mucho menos a charlatanería que Deepak Chopra, es otro de los que dicen asumen que la física quántica prueba contundentemente cualquier cosa que se les hinche el huevo proponer. En éste caso, que la física cuántica y la relatividad validan el budismo e hinduismo (en el caso de Tao of Physics). Éste libro en particular tiene un objetivo con el que sim ...more
Purwito
Mar 18, 2008 Purwito rated it it was ok
I've just reviewed from Guardian reviewer (from the book cover i have) said that it is an analyse of the rational option from unpredictable hopeless future that might bring the different.

And what my low opinion will be is unlike unoption, no challange nor utopias ideas without objection. This book author is such unpredictable phisician and scientist (i've read the first book, The tao of physics, who present the flux of meme from Green movement control and so on).

My Qs borrowed from Sir Norman F
Vish Wam
Aug 24, 2014 Vish Wam rated it really liked it
In this growing fast paced world driven by capitalism and rough economic order, Fritjof Capra, takes a bold step in communicating to us, in a thorough engaging argument, on how the model framework that make up our socio-economic systems is leading us to a harsh catastrophic climax. With growing awareness on the flip side of corporate economies, this book takes the concept of systems biology, learning how the connections in living adaptable systems like cells are made, and proposes a model extrap ...more
Stuart
Jan 29, 2008 Stuart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I've been reading books on the search for a Theory of Everything. They can be lumped into the following categories:

1) TOE's that seek to unify the 4 physical forces but don't want to venture into philosophy.

2) TOE's that try to unify physics with other theories such as information theory, evolution, etc. but still stay within the realm of scientific speculation.

3) TOE's that go beyond that into the New-Agey.

This one flirts with #3 but I think nicely doesn't overstep it's claims. He looks at nat
Meg
Sep 29, 2012 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
Great book but like other work by Capra, at times too dry for my taste. Big ideas, mind blowing learning and important reading...but had to force myself to read it. In the end, I lost the fight and put it on the shelf next to Chaos Point and The Necessary Revolution. Will try again in a different place and time as I think it's such an important work and a key part of my systems thinking understanding.
Sean
Apr 07, 2015 Sean added it
I read this back as a sophomore or junior in high school, and along with Prescription for the Planet, Plan B 2.0 and another book on mycology, this shaped my perception of the world in a subtle way. I admit it was dense in a way that I felt I was not doing the book justice, and was challenged by it. Definitely worth a reread.
Beth Robinson
Mar 03, 2015 Beth Robinson rated it liked it
Shelves: src-spring-2015, 2015
The book ranged widely. I learned a lot about biology at the beginning. And then the philosophical concepts behind how that biology worked were applied to larger systems. I'm going to need to reread it to really understand it, although that will be after some time. It's worth holding on to for a second round.
Prasanth Prahladan
Dec 02, 2010 Prasanth Prahladan is currently reading it
Interesting perspective on how life evolved. However, the book has innumberable references to the author's earlier book - The Web of Life, which I believe would give a more comprehensive and interesting read. However, its too early for me to comment on the book.
Curt
Feb 07, 2008 Curt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title really descibes the book well. It is a well written book that extends the ideas described in previous Capra books. It describes in more detail than his previous works how human organizations/systems need to operate like natural systems so we can better survive and thrive.
Alberto
Jun 02, 2008 Alberto rated it it was amazing
My favorite book on sustainability and how it relates to economy and society (explaining for example, how economic growth is directly related to environmental deterioration). A must for anyone interested in Sustainability.
Sarah Brooks
Jan 02, 2015 Sarah Brooks rated it really liked it
Once again, a great book from Fritjof Capra. If you're interested in general systems theory and living systems – he's one to read. A good writer who makes complex concepts concrete and tied to daily life.
Bryan Holmes
Feb 02, 2014 Bryan Holmes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Capra provides a unique, but scientific, explanation for how connections are really the basis of life instead of things or objects. Thought provoking and inspiring!
Greg
Oct 22, 2008 Greg added it
Articulates the relationship between design and emergence in the context of learning organizations. Fascinating text.
Gouri Shankar
Oct 19, 2011 Gouri Shankar rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
A must read for every one .....starts from nature of life ...to present date chaos..all in a capsule.
A good read !
Yohan dhiwa
mencoba mengubah sampah menjadi makanan ( setiap sampah adalah makanan bagi organisme lain:seharusnya )
  • Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World's Great Physicists
  • Ecological Economics: Principles And Applications
  • Wholeness and the Implicate Order
  • State of the World 2013: Is Sustainability Still Possible?
  • The Systems View of the World: A Holistic Vision for Our Time
  • The Mayan Code: Time Acceleration and Awakening the World Mind
  • Reinventing the Sacred: A New View of Science, Reason, and Religion
  • The No-Nonsense Guide to Globalization
  • The Revenge of Gaia
Fritjof Capra (born February 1, 1939) is an Austrian-born American physicist. He is a founding director of the Center for Ecoliteracy in Berkeley, California, and is on the faculty of Schumacher College. Capra is the author of several books, including The Tao of Physics (1975), The Turning Point (1982), Uncommon Wisdom (1988), The Web of Life (1996) and The Hidden Connections (2002).
More about Fritjof Capra...

“The phenomenon of emergence takes place at critical points of instability that arise from fluctuations in the environment, amplified by feedback loops.” 7 likes