The Princess Tales, Volume II (Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, For Biddle's Sake, The Fairy's Return)

The Princess Tales, Volume II (The Princess Tales #4-6)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,273 ratings  ·  34 reviews
In a land far, far away . . .

A boy with magical powers to win Princess Charming's heart. A fairy who likes turning humans into toads. A true love forbidden by the King.

A world of fairies and magic -- what could be more perfect than that? But is it perfect enough to help a simple farm boy marry a beautiful princess? And if an unruly fairy turns a maiden into a toad, how doe...more
Published February 17th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Princess Tales, Volume II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess Tales, Volume II

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
423rd out of 1,486 books — 6,506 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettAnne of Green Gables/Anne of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Great Books For Young Girls
46th out of 95 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie
I love Gail Carson Levine! These stories are not deep, but they are cute and fun. These are maybe on a 2nd-4th grade level, but I sure enjoy them.
Leslie Lamb
Cinderellis is about a boy Cinderella who is always working and trying to please his brothers. Princess Marigold has no friends. Her father who is king always leaves her alone to go in another quest. To see who should marry his daughter, there is a contest to see which man can get their horse to climb the glass pyramid.

The second book is about Parsley, a girl who only eats Parsley. She gets in trouble from the fairy Bombina, Til she sees her beautiful smile. Parsley falls in love with Prince Tan...more
Heidi
This was a cute book too. I think I liked the stories here a little better than the first. It's a set of three stories again. The first is Cinderellis. His name was orignially Ellis until his brothers renamed him. Cinderellis likes to invent things, but his creations are all powders that when sprinkled on an object make it grow, shrink, fly, etc. Of course he uses his creations to win the contest for the Princess.

The second is a twist on the Frog Prince. This one is a girl nicknamed Parsley beca...more
Kereesa
A sweet little collection that can be read on on its own as easily as it can be read to kids, Levine's second volume of The Princess Tales provides a nice twist on three easily recognizable fairy tales. From gender swapping in Levine's version of Cinderella to the addition of frog magic in Rapunzel, Levine doesn't hesitate to play around with the traditional stories, while still being true to their core elements.

While not as charming as Ella Enchanted (though to be honest, nothing has ever quit...more
Debbie
This is the second collection of princess tales. The stories in it are quite entertaining also. There are interesting twists in these stories also. Cinderella isn't a girl, and his name is Cinderellis. I really liked this collection.
Amy Jenni
Feb 13, 2014 Amy Jenni added it
Shelves: lent-out
Lent to Stacy Jenkins
Shauna
I liked this set of three tales (Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, For Biddle's Sake, and the Fairy's Return) better than the first volume. Although the stories are still completely silly and mixed up fairy tales, Levine shows a defter and more mature hand in this batch. I especially enjoyed the story of Cinderellis.
Michelle
Daughter and I are reading these stories together. She's a 5th grader and hates reading long books. This is a nice collection of short stories in a bigger volume which looks he part of a long chapter book with the satisfaction of a quick read. The are easy fun summer reading to build her fluency and stamina.
Sandra Strange
This book collects three fairy tale adaptations. The three tales are charmingly cute and gently humorous, with plucky (and selfish and humble and silly) protagonists trying to find suitable mates. Not exactly intellectually meaty, but with issues of gender that fit a modern teenage reader. Positive.
I really enjoyed these lighthearted fairytale retellings by the author of Ella Enchanted.
All of them were a combination of a well know fairytail (Cinderella, Frog Prince/Rapunzel, and the Golden Goose) with a lesser know fairytail (Princess and the Glass Hill and two others I don't know the names of...)
Lavinia
Love these books. My daughter and I read "Ella Enchanted" together and I was so impressed that I looked up these other books by her. They are all very quirky books about giving fairy tale princess' their own voice. Great for all girls!
Kaethe
I love these stories. Short, clever fairy tale retellings, they're great for kids just starting to read on their own, and younger kids who like listening.
Kate
These books were great for a rainy day, when I needed a fantasy world to easily escape to for the day. I read each of them twice through...maybe thrice.
Riley
Sweet, silly, enjoyable tales. Happy endings, magical peril and obsessions with vegetables. I love fairytales, and anyone who does will love these.
Rachel
Reading these one right after another is like eating a fistful of peanut m&ms. It isn't good for me, but I'm sure enjoying it!
Marianne
These are fun little stories that twist the classic fairy tales just a bit. Fun reads especially for kids.
Marah
Nov 12, 2009 Marah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marah by: Tamra
Shelves: young-adult
Six cute stories, not tremendously engaging to me as an adult, but charming for young girls.
Kirsti Call
This is a modern twist on Rapunzel and the frog prince. It's witty and fun to read.
Nichole
Gail Carson Levine made these well known stories very enjoyable. She added many twists!
A Lee
I like how the fairy comes about in this tale and that true love does conquer all
Miriam
Jan 22, 2008 Miriam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to laugh
So Funny! I laughed so hard my friends asked me if i was ok!
Sabrina
Jul 17, 2009 Sabrina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Sabrina by: a friend
there are two people+two parts of story= amzing book
Leslie
i really liked this book i plan to read the others.
Kristen
Love these little stories! Have read them many times.
Suzanna Awesomeness
Again, a little kid book, but still good.
Kate
Creative reworkings of familiar fairy tales.
Jan 12, 2012 Sarah added it
Pretty much the same as the first...
Heather
A must have for anyone's collection
Emily
all these stories are good
Megan
It was a good book
  • Extra-Ordinary Princess
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • A Glory of Unicorns
  • The Phoenix Dance
  • Spellfall
  • If the Shoe Fits (The Princess School, #1)
  • The Ruby Princess Runs Away
  • Once Upon the End
  • Sunlight and Shadow: A Retelling of "The Magic Flute" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • Dragon's Breath (Tales of the Frog Princess, #2)
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns Of Balinor, #7)
  • Mira, Mirror
  • The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)
  • Twice Upon a Time
  • So Totally Emily Ebers
  • Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo
  • The Farthest-Away Mountain
  • Sleeping Ugly
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo...more
More about Gail Carson Levine...
Ella Enchanted The Two Princesses of Bamarre Fairest Ever The Fairy's Mistake