Start by marking “The Princess Tales, Volume II (Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, For Biddle's Sake, The Fairy's Return)” as Want to Read:

The Princess Tales, Volume II (The Princess Tales #4-6)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,467 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
In a land far, far away . . .

A boy with magical powers to win Princess Charming's heart. A fairy who likes turning humans into toads. A true love forbidden by the King.

A world of fairies and magic -- what could be more perfect than that? But is it perfect enough to help a simple farm boy marry a beautiful princess? And if an unruly fairy turns a maiden into a toad, how doe
Published February 17th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Princess Tales, Volume II, please sign up.

Aj There are multiple short story in this book, each with its own plot and moral.

Julie
Aug 25, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
I love Gail Carson Levine! These stories are not deep, but they are cute and fun. These are maybe on a 2nd-4th grade level, but I sure enjoy them.
Heidi
Nov 09, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a cute book too. I think I liked the stories here a little better than the first. It's a set of three stories again. The first is Cinderellis. His name was orignially Ellis until his brothers renamed him. Cinderellis likes to invent things, but his creations are all powders that when sprinkled on an object make it grow, shrink, fly, etc. Of course he uses his creations to win the contest for the Princess.

The second is a twist on the Frog Prince. This one is a girl nicknamed Parsley beca
Kereesa
Dec 30, 2012 Kereesa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children and their parents
A sweet little collection that can be read on on its own as easily as it can be read to kids, Levine's second volume of The Princess Tales provides a nice twist on three easily recognizable fairy tales. From gender swapping in Levine's version of Cinderella to the addition of frog magic in Rapunzel, Levine doesn't hesitate to play around with the traditional stories, while still being true to their core elements.

While not as charming as Ella Enchanted (though to be honest, nothing has ever quit
Leslie Lamb
Jan 23, 2014 Leslie Lamb rated it really liked it
Cinderellis is about a boy Cinderella who is always working and trying to please his brothers. Princess Marigold has no friends. Her father who is king always leaves her alone to go in another quest. To see who should marry his daughter, there is a contest to see which man can get their horse to climb the glass pyramid.

The second book is about Parsley, a girl who only eats Parsley. She gets in trouble from the fairy Bombina, Til she sees her beautiful smile. Parsley falls in love with Prince Tan
Sandra Strange
This book collects three fairy tale adaptations. The three tales are charmingly cute and gently humorous, with plucky (and selfish and humble and silly) protagonists trying to find suitable mates. Not exactly intellectually meaty, but with issues of gender that fit a modern teenage reader. Positive.
Jan 18, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed these lighthearted fairytale retellings by the author of Ella Enchanted.
All of them were a combination of a well know fairytail (Cinderella, Frog Prince/Rapunzel, and the Golden Goose) with a lesser know fairytail (Princess and the Glass Hill and two others I don't know the names of...)
Michelle
Aug 18, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Daughter and I are reading these stories together. She's a 5th grader and hates reading long books. This is a nice collection of short stories in a bigger volume which looks he part of a long chapter book with the satisfaction of a quick read. The are easy fun summer reading to build her fluency and stamina.
Shauna
Mar 28, 2011 Shauna rated it really liked it
I liked this set of three tales (Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, For Biddle's Sake, and the Fairy's Return) better than the first volume. Although the stories are still completely silly and mixed up fairy tales, Levine shows a defter and more mature hand in this batch. I especially enjoyed the story of Cinderellis.
Lavinia
Feb 13, 2008 Lavinia rated it liked it
Love these books. My daughter and I read "Ella Enchanted" together and I was so impressed that I looked up these other books by her. They are all very quirky books about giving fairy tale princess' their own voice. Great for all girls!
Bridget
Aug 17, 2015 Bridget rated it really liked it
I love the gender-bending nature of these re-tellings, there's a bit of the old story, but a lot of the new. These ones in particular are designed for ages 5-7, but there aren't too many pictures, so they're good ones to read out loud.
Debbie
Mar 20, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
This is the second collection of princess tales. The stories in it are quite entertaining also. There are interesting twists in these stories also. Cinderella isn't a girl, and his name is Cinderellis. I really liked this collection.
Klara Oh
another well, rewritten fairy tale
Suzanna Awesomeness
Oct 26, 2008 Suzanna Awesomeness rated it liked it
Again, a little kid book, but still good.
Melissa
Dec 11, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Fun reads 8 and up
Riley
Apr 07, 2009 Riley rated it really liked it
Sweet, silly, enjoyable tales. Happy endings, magical peril and obsessions with vegetables. I love fairytales, and anyone who does will love these.
Marah
Nov 12, 2009 Marah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marah by: Tamra
Shelves: young-adult
Six cute stories, not tremendously engaging to me as an adult, but charming for young girls.
PWRL
Sep 03, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
E
Marianne
Dec 21, 2009 Marianne rated it it was amazing
These are fun little stories that twist the classic fairy tales just a bit. Fun reads especially for kids.
Sara
Sep 15, 2010 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
great twist on fairytales
Sara
Feb 13, 2016 Sara added it
Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, For Biddle's Sake, The Fairy's Return.
Heather
May 20, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read
A must have for anyone's collection
Megan
Oct 28, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
It was a good book
Kate
May 27, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
These books were great for a rainy day, when I needed a fantasy world to easily escape to for the day. I read each of them twice through...maybe thrice.
Jan 12, 2012 Sarah added it
Pretty much the same as the first...
Nichole
Apr 28, 2011 Nichole rated it really liked it
Gail Carson Levine made these well known stories very enjoyable. She added many twists!
Kirsti Call
May 21, 2011 Kirsti Call rated it really liked it
This is a modern twist on Rapunzel and the frog prince. It's witty and fun to read.
Miriam
Jan 22, 2008 Miriam rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to laugh
So Funny! I laughed so hard my friends asked me if i was ok!
A Lee
Mar 26, 2012 A Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how the fairy comes about in this tale and that true love does conquer all
Kristen
May 22, 2013 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Love these little stories! Have read them many times.
  • The Extra-Ordinary Princess
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • The Sapphire Princess Hunts for Treasure (The Jewel Kingdom, #6)
  • The Time Travelers: Volume Two
  • A Glory of Unicorns
  • Crown and Jewel
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns of Balinor, #7)
  • Spellfall (Earthaven, #1)
  • The Books of Bayern Box Set, Books 1-3
  • Waking Beauty: A Novel
  • Sunlight and Shadow: A Retelling of The Magic Flute (Once Upon A Time, #6)
  • Charlotte's Rose
  • Once Upon a Curse (Tales of the Frog Princess, #3)
  • Sleeping Ugly
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo
More about Gail Carson Levine...

The Princess Tales (6 books)
  • The Fairy's Mistake (The Princess Tales, #1)
  • The Princess Test (The Princess Tales, #2)
  • Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep (The Princess Tales, #3)
  • Cinderellis and the Glass Hill (The Princess Tales, #4)
  • For Biddle's Sake (The Princess Tales, #5)
  • The Fairy's Return (The Princess Tales, #6)