Selected Poems, 1923-1958

Selected Poems, 1923-1958

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This selection, made by Cummings himself in 1960, offers a comprehensive introduction to his most characteristic work — whether love poems, satirical squibs or nature poetry — and represents the range of his experiments with lyric form, syntax and typography, which combined to offer a radically individual and spontaneous view of the world.
Published August 8th 1977 by Faber & Faber (first published January 1st 1960)

Chris Hearn

and spring
and love
in spring
Mary
I am not much of a reader of poetry and even with e.e.Cummings that is true. BUT, even if you do not like entire poems--he has lines that stand out , shine and make you smile. This is one of those poetry books that I have lying around to read when I have just a short time. The special (to me) lines that can be full of satire, sometimes serious and very humorous is why I rated it 4 stars.
Emily
One of my favorites:

in time of daffodils(who know
the goal of living is to grow)
forgetting why,remember how

in time of lilacs who proclaim
the aim of waking is to dream,
remember so(forgetting seem)

in time of roses(who amaze
our now and here with paradise)
forgetting if,remember yes

in time of all sweet things beyond
whatever mind may comprehend,
remember seek(forgetting find)

and in a mystery to be
(when time from time shall set us free)
forgetting me,remember me
Mike Jart
Very much hit-and-miss. Contained some of my least favourite poems of all time, but also a whole lot more of poems that are gonna stick with me probably for the rest of my life. There's some real hardcore genius in here, if you can wade through the mediocore majority. Favourites: O Sweet Spontaneous, Voices to Voices, Lip to Lip, Since feeling is first, you shall above all things be glad and young and No man, if men are gods; but if gods must.
Felix Thompson
I really liked e.e. cummings - there's just a lot of poems in this collection that I don't like as much. Though there are still some ones I really enjoyed regardless.
Clare
ee cummings is a great poet. The classics are great, but too much talk about Spring.
Tiffany Smyers
In my book one of the best poets (alongside Poe and Blake) ... refreshing use of style in poetry :) And well some of it actually quite sensual (to say it with a proper word) not therefore in an (too) obvious way but without making a 'scene' about it (it doesn't need to be said literally). Besides his more sensual poetry, his lyrical style, which is frequently used since the Romanticism, is why his poems can be read so fluently
Definitely going to read it again (and pay closer attention to some p...more
Niina
Couldn't stop reading until I was done, and most of the poems weren't too easy either. It was a harsh yet amazingly beautiful, rhyming ride. This collection included some texts I had run into previously elsewhere, which made the whole experience feel homey - easy to detect, the most familiar poems are my favourites, but I discovered quite a number of others that worked for me very well.
Mugren Ohaly
I only wish that the titles were added, or at least clearly mark where one poem started and ended. They all seem to blend into one another.
Guy Cranswick
Had this for years and read it every once in a while. Some of it is breathtaking.
Sridhar
Beautiful to bizarre, obscure to ornery, and endlessly inventive poetry.
Steve Nojek
EE Cummings, you sweet dear friend, don't quit! I pick this up now and then.
Minnie
I am deeply deeply envious of e e cummings. So much talent, sigh!
Niels
because e e cummings always makes me smile
Tara Calaby
A wonderful selection from my favourite poet.
Nathan
"let's touch the sky."
Chris Naylor
Chris Naylor marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Bailey
Bailey marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Herr Lemmy
Herr Lemmy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Juliaviola
Juliaviola marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Mw Pm
Mw Pm marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Aylish
Aylish marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
  • Howl, Kaddish and Other Poems
  • Crow (Faber Library)
  • District and Circle
  • The Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Complete Poems and Plays
  • The Bees
  • The Metaphysical Poets (Penguin Classics)
  • Bright Star: The Complete Poems & Selected Letters of John Keats (Vintage Classics)
  • Flowers of Evil: A Selection
  • Snow White
  • Poems of Christina Rossetti
  • The Complete Dramatic Works
  • Scattered Poems
  • Staying Alive: Real Poems for Unreal Times
  • The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings (Bantam Classics)
Edward Estlin Cummings, popularly known as e.e. cummings, was an American poet, painter, essayist, and playwright. His body of work encompasses more than 900 poems, several plays and essays, numerous drawings, sketches, and paintings, as well as two novels. He is remembered as a preeminent voice of 20th century poetry, as well as one of the most popular.
More about E.E. Cummings...
100 Selected Poems Complete Poems, 1904-1962 Selected Poems 95 Poems Tulips and Chimneys