Start by marking “Selected Poems, 1923-1958” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems, 1923-1958

Selected Poems, 1923-1958

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  493 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This selection, made by Cummings himself in 1960, offers a comprehensive introduction to his most characteristic work — whether love poems, satirical squibs or nature poetry — and represents the range of his experiments with lyric form, syntax and typography, which combined to offer a radically individual and spontaneous view of the world.
Published August 8th 1977 by Faber & Faber (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, 1923-1958, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems, 1923-1958

and spring
and love
in spring
Mary
I am not much of a reader of poetry and even with e.e.Cummings that is true. BUT, even if you do not like entire poems--he has lines that stand out , shine and make you smile. This is one of those poetry books that I have lying around to read when I have just a short time. The special (to me) lines that can be full of satire, sometimes serious and very humorous is why I rated it 4 stars.
Emily
One of my favorites:

in time of daffodils(who know
the goal of living is to grow)
forgetting why,remember how

in time of lilacs who proclaim
the aim of waking is to dream,
remember so(forgetting seem)

in time of roses(who amaze
our now and here with paradise)
forgetting if,remember yes

in time of all sweet things beyond
whatever mind may comprehend,
remember seek(forgetting find)

and in a mystery to be
(when time from time shall set us free)
forgetting me,remember me
Daisy Douglas
This is one of my favourite books. Ever. e e cummings is my favourite poet because of the way he can just express normal things with such originality. It's his short phrases like "hips pumping pleasure into hips" and "you open always petal by petal myself" that do it for me everytime. I love the way he neglects to use titles for his poems and I love the sensuality that he embodies for me.

What I love most about this collection of poems selected by e e cummings himself is the wide variety and the
Mike Jart
Very much hit-and-miss. Contained some of my least favourite poems of all time, but also a whole lot more of poems that are gonna stick with me probably for the rest of my life. There's some real hardcore genius in here, if you can wade through the mediocore majority. Favourites: O Sweet Spontaneous, Voices to Voices, Lip to Lip, Since feeling is first, you shall above all things be glad and young and No man, if men are gods; but if gods must.
Joyce Hamya
Oh, but for the occasional rhyming and nonsense. For every four gems in here, there's a stinker. But Cummings handles language gloriously, twisting it to mirror his meaning and for that he deserves loud and splendorous applause.
Felix Thompson
I really liked e.e. cummings - there's just a lot of poems in this collection that I don't like as much. Though there are still some ones I really enjoyed regardless.
Clare
ee cummings is a great poet. The classics are great, but too much talk about Spring.
Sam Pryce
Quiet, modest poetry for fragile hearts.
Tiffany Smyers
In my book one of the best poets (alongside Poe and Blake) ... refreshing use of style in poetry :) And well some of it actually quite sensual (to say it with a proper word) not therefore in an (too) obvious way but without making a 'scene' about it (it doesn't need to be said literally). Besides his more sensual poetry, his lyrical style, which is frequently used since the Romanticism, is why his poems can be read so fluently
Definitely going to read it again (and pay closer attention to some p
Niina
Couldn't stop reading until I was done, and most of the poems weren't too easy either. It was a harsh yet amazingly beautiful, rhyming ride. This collection included some texts I had run into previously elsewhere, which made the whole experience feel homey - easy to detect, the most familiar poems are my favourites, but I discovered quite a number of others that worked for me very well.
Mugren Ohaly
I only wish that the titles were added, or at least clearly mark where one poem started and ended. They all seem to blend into one another.
Guy Cranswick
Had this for years and read it every once in a while. Some of it is breathtaking.
Sridhar
Beautiful to bizarre, obscure to ornery, and endlessly inventive poetry.
Minnie
I am deeply deeply envious of e e cummings. So much talent, sigh!
Niels
because e e cummings always makes me smile
Tara Calaby
A wonderful selection from my favourite poet.
Nathan
"let's touch the sky."
Damir
Damir added it
Nov 21, 2014
Steffi Mccallion
Steffi Mccallion is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2014
Henni
Henni marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
  • Wunderkind
  • District and Circle
  • Crow (Faber Library)
  • Complete Poems
  • The Bees
  • The Metaphysical Poets (Penguin Classics)
  • Collected Poems
  • Being Alive
  • Poems of Christina Rossetti
  • Howl, Kaddish and Other Poems
  • The Five Orange Pips and Other Cases
  • Complete Poems and Selected Letters
  • Poems of William Blake
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
More about E.E. Cummings...
100 Selected Poems Complete Poems, 1904-1962 Selected Poems 95 Poems Tulips and Chimneys