Start by marking “73 Poems” as Want to Read:
73 Poems

73 Poems

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  430 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Four months after Cummings's death in September 1962, his widow, the photographer Marion Morehouse, collected the typescripts of 29 new poems. These poems, as well as uncollected poems published only in periodicals up to that time, make up 73 Poems. This is the final volume in Liveright's reissue of Cummings's individual volumes of poetry, with texts and settings based on ...more
Published August 17th 2003 by Liveright (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about 73 Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 73 Poems

poe
ms

?
Kate
I have read a few e. e. cumming poems before, but never one right after the other. I thought he was a strange, but interesting and beautiful poet. And after having just read 73 of his poems, I now find him to be even more strange and more beautiful. I picked 2 of his that were my favorites:

Me up at does

You wouldn't have

AND

everybody happy?
WE-WE-WE
& to hell with the chappy
who doesn't agree

(if you can'
Mike Jensen
I'll be blunt. The poems I understand are wonderful. Those that Cummings made too obscure to understand annoy me. This review could have just as easily been 3 stars, but the book was understandable at the end.
Tripmastermonkey
May 23, 2008 Tripmastermonkey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romantics, hippies, funkadelics
Shelves: poetry
i mean, i pick it up, read some, read some more later. i'm pretty sure i've read next to all of them by now. e.e. makes me happy. his wordplay brings a whole new sense of wonder to everyday beauty.
Manny

it' s
not
really
about
the layout

is it?
Artemisia
the trick of finding what you didn't lose
(existing's tricky:but to live's a gift)
the teachable imposture of always
arriving at the place you never left

silently if,out of not knowable
night's utmost nothing,wanders a little guess
(only which is this world)more my life does
not leap than whith the mystery your smile

sings or if(spiraling as luminous
they climb oblivion)voices who are dreams,
less into heaven certainly earth swims
than each my deeper death becomes your kiss

losing through you what seeme
Everett Darling
While I enjoyed looking at words in a new way, I just cant get into ee cummings, or past nonsense punctuation. A smarter person might clue me into whats with this, more than I can see, beyond fun and playfulness. I mean, I get the birds thing ,;,;,,;, yep, sort of looks like birds on a wire, etc...and the use of pare(importance)ntheses for stress and accents and double meanings, simultinaety, etc...and while I think this is all genius, I am disappointed in the poetry accompanying these little ty ...more
Gemma
I had to read almost all of these at least twice, and what I could understand was really interesting and beautiful. But sometimes it's hard to comb these tangles of words out into coherent ideas.
Ellen Welsh
so wonderful! i'm working with some people on my art course collaboratively at the moment and we are using writing and this has been a big inspiration. interesting and uplifting :-)
K8

Favorites:

the first of all my dreams was of

it's so damn sweet when anybody

me up at does out of the floor

why don't be silly

one winter afternoon (at the magical hour when is becomes if)

POEM or the divine right of majorities

silently if, out of not knowable

your homecoming will be my homecoming

a round face near the top of the stairs

nOthIng can surpass the mystery of stillness

Now I lay (with everywhere around

what time is it? it is by every star

without the mercy of your eyes

who are you, little i

of all
Juliet
Liked these more when I was in high school, when it was much easier to be only ebullient, and not to have so many questions about the darker aspects of humanity.
Krystina Bennett
Cummings' style may be strange for some, especially those who don't read a whole lot of poetry, but I admire its uniqueness. Not only does he play with words, but also punctuation and spacing. My favorite is "since feeling is first", where he even plays with the idea of punctuation in words: "and death i think is no parenthesis". He has had an impact on my own poetry, especially where format and line breaks are involved.
Jay
Never read much Cummings before but I picked this up in a market for 1. I really enjoyed it frankly, though I'm still coming to grips with some aspects of his style. For someone so derided for never advancing his work I think some of these poems benefit hugely from being read aloud - very contemporary for the time they were published if you think about it. "40" is a particular favourite. ...more
Emmy
e.e. cummings is supposed to be a brilliant and thought-provoking writer. And while I enjoyed reading this collection, I found it a bit labored and confusing. Not terrible, but not my own personal cup of tea. I don't mind poems that take some time to unpack, but at the same time, I would like to read something that made a bit more sense for the first read-through.
Kalin Schoephoerster
There are many of the poems that I did not even bother to unpack of their meanings but there were also many that I liked so much I had to write them down. Many of the poems had delightful syntax. He was certainly a talented man.
Ayne Ray
e.e. cummings holds particular appeal to me because he was the first poet I became truly interested in studying; not my favorite now (that honor is a tie between W.B. Yeats and John Donne), but definitely appreciated and admired.
Stole it from a hostel in Peru, and so far well worth the guilt!

Enjoying this new foray into poetry, a genre that for so long has intimidated the hell outta me. Can{t wait to read more!
Bryce Emley
i think this was posthumous, so i don't know that these were originally to be published. but still marvelously original, he does some very interesting abstract poetry.
Brian
I probably liked a greater percentage of these than I did of any recently previous collection of his. It was a good way to go out for him I think.
Colin Bruce Anthes
Probably the worst e.e. cummings I've read.
Terrific.
Clare Holman-Hobbs
A wonderful and experimental collection.
Michael X
More cryptic and unrelenting work from e.e.
Mon
i don't
Paulina
blew my mind.
Alyssa Lambert
Alyssa Lambert marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Marjorie
Marjorie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Keyla Pérez alarcón
Keyla Pérez alarcón marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
  • The Songs of Bilitis
  • The Dollmage
  • Dark Fields of the Republic
  • The Ancient Track: The Complete Poetical Works
  • To Bedlam and Part Way Back
  • A Light Bulb Symphony
  • The Giant Book of Poetry
  • Rilke: Poems (Pocket Poets)
  • A Softer World: Truth and Beauty Bombs
  • Selected Poems
  • Monologue of a Dog
  • Poems by Robert Frost: A Boy's Will and North of Boston
  • Ring of Bone: Collected Poems, 1950-1971
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
More about E.E. Cummings...
100 Selected Poems Complete Poems, 1904-1962 Selected Poems 95 Poems Tulips and Chimneys

“nothing”
the unjust man complained
“is just” (“or un-“ the just rejoined.”
7 likes