Start by marking “Luna Marine (The Heritage Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Luna Marine (The Heritage Trilogy, #2)

Luna Marine (Heritage Trilogy #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,054 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The revelations on Mars -- a half-million year-old legacy of the vanished star-traveling Builders -- have fed the flames of catastrophic war. A beleaguered United States and its Russian and Japanese allies struggle to hold their own against the indomitable forces of the enemy United Nations. The bloody conflict that has swept over the home planet now rages across the black ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Luna Marine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luna Marine

Brian
I'm going to review the Heritage Trilogy as one whole as I read the three earlier this year in quick succession and really have the same opinions on all three books.

This trilogy spins a very cohesive story and really should be read straight through. It is an exceptional piece of sci-fi with fleshed out characters and a compelling story. The technology is well described and it is believable that the events in this trilogy could happen within the next 10-20 years. There is also political intrigue
Andy Arnold
I really didn't think that much of the first book in this series finding the invincible "gung ho" US Marines a little difficult to stomach. I pressed on with this trilogy after reading the Goodreads reviews and I'm glad I did. Although the outcome of this book was somehow never in doubt, the jingoistic sabre rattling was toned down a little this time making this a more palatable read. I also really enjoyed the style of some of the narratives away from the main characters and found them to be ver ...more
Stephanie
This is the rare middle book in a trilogy that is better than the first book. Typically the middle book is a fill, bridging the gap between the exciting first book and the climactic finale. I think the reason this one works so well is because while this series is three books each story is independent of the other. The timeline is separated by a few years and many of the characters are the same but plenty of new ones. The underlying theme is the same but the story is quite different.

In this book
MVV
Better than the first. This second in a trilogy moves the plot and the action along an interesting and realistic path. I am especially impressed with the authors grasp of real space technology and the actual geography of the moon and mars. It is one thing to make up sci-fi worlds, but quite another to write about actual locations with real world technology. Douglas is a downright smart guy!!
Michael
It took me a long time to read this book, not because I didn't like it--I did! I was reading it before bed every night, which meant I'd usually log about five pages before falling asleep. This is pure military sci-fi; the second in a series of three about the US Marines in the near future. It's a fun story that realistically portrays the nature of infantry combat in outer space, mixed into a story about human beings finding aliens artifacts on the moon and on Mars. The most interesting aspect of ...more
Ian Tweeddale
This review can cover the whole series. It's good 'down-to-earth' (if I could use this phrase for this genre) military sci-fi. The (human) technology comes across as understandable, some interesting developments in society are tracked and for a nice change the political views of the author are not too obvious (talking to you Ringo, Kratman). Douglas has an central idea about alien influences which he has fleshed out over 6 books quite successfully. Most of the ideas are not that original but he ...more
Jeff
Jul 27, 2014 Jeff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
So far I haven't enjoyed this series as much as the other series in Douglas' repertoire. That being said it is still an enjoyable story line and full of excitement.
Scott
First: More great marines-in-space stuff.

Second: While these books are not world-shaking, consciousness raising, pseudo-intellectual claptrap, they do present a vision of a near-future that could arise from the political scene of today.

Third: As with all good sci-fi, these books are about the people more than the tech. And Douglas' characters rock! Anyone who has ever been (or even known) a marine will recognize his characters as more than just simple jarhead stereotypes.

And Last: More great m
Andreas
The Heritage Trilogy is the first of three connected trilogies about Marines in space, and consists of:

Semper Mars
Luna Marine
Europa Strike

Three very good near future military SciFi stories, loosely connected at the micro level, with a deeper common background. My only small gripe is that Douglas does not concentrate more on the backstory of alien visitors in ancient times. Still and all, a very good read.

Note: Ian Douglas is a pen name for William H. Keith.

Randy Smith
Very Good book!
Jp
A wonderful follow up to the prior Ian Douglas book, Semper Mars. This book takes off from the get-go and keeps running right up to the climax, hardly giving you a chance to breath. Douglas should be praised for providing a well written book, with a keen eye for detail and realism in technology. If you enjoy Heinlein, you'll enjoy the Heritage Trilogy.
Kevin
What a great series!! I can't say enough good things about Ian Douglas' Heritage series. The Marine Corps stuff is spot on. The outlandish is made believable and the SciFi tech is grounded in current science, theories and R&D! From Ablative Armor to Caseless Rounds to Antimatter (Positron) drives.

Loving this series and this author!
Eoghan Odinsson
This volume in Douglas's trilogy picked up the pace a little from Book 1 (Semper Mars) which I found a bit slow in places.

There was more about the alien technology and its implications, but this is still a predominantly Military Science Fiction series, heavy on the Marine Corps aspects.

Great Book, and I'm on to book 3!
Steve
The first trilogy is compelling...lots of action and interesting speculation on how technology will affect human society.

Takes place two years after Semper Mars and builds on that story's conflict...It's interesting to see how the author advances the technology in the story and funny to see who the enemies are...
Graham
Continues where it left off in Mars... some years on, but with some of the recognizable characters. Interesting tale, ridiculous scenarios with earth hanging in the balance. Loved it!
Randy
Oct 03, 2008 Randy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: military SF fans
American, Russian, and Japanese forces against UN forces to protect an alien outpost found on the moon.
Brent
Great book! I'm eagerly waiting for the third book to be delivered to my doorstop (Europa Strike)
Liquid Frost
My "official" 200th book - at least as far as memory goes and not including kid/school books -
Eli
Slightly more cerebral than the first book, but by no means less entertaining for it.
Tyler
Tyler is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2015
Dennis A
Dennis A is currently reading it
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Christopher Fisk
Christopher Fisk marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
  • Blood Contact (Starfist, #4)
  • Firemask (The Last Legion, #2)
  • When the Devil Dances (Posleen War, #3)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Stark's Command (Stark's War, #2)

Heritage Trilogy (3 books)
  • Semper Mars (Heritage Trilogy, #1)
  • Europa Strike (Heritage Trilogy, #3)
Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1) Center of Gravity (Star Carrier, #2) Singularity (Star Carrier, #3) Semper Mars (Heritage Trilogy, #1) Star Corps (The Legacy Trilogy, #1)