Start by marking “Luna Marine (The Heritage Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Luna Marine (The Heritage Trilogy, #2)

Luna Marine (Heritage Trilogy #2)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,202 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The revelations on Mars -- a half-million year-old legacy of the vanished star-traveling Builders -- have fed the flames of catastrophic war. A beleaguered United States and its Russian and Japanese allies struggle to hold their own against the indomitable forces of the enemy United Nations. The bloody conflict that has swept over the home planet now rages across the black ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Luna Marine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luna Marine

Mike (the Paladin)
Okay here we go... Did you read the first book in this series? Did you like the first book in this series?

If so, we're cool. Enjoy.

Now for those of you who haven't read the first in this series let me ask, do you like military science fiction? Do you like military fiction? Do you like military action type brain candy?

Okay you'll probably like this one. I would suggest that you start with the first one.

The archaeologists are still here, uncovering evidence of advanced space faring civilizations
Brian
Nov 17, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
I'm going to review the Heritage Trilogy as one whole as I read the three earlier this year in quick succession and really have the same opinions on all three books.

This trilogy spins a very cohesive story and really should be read straight through. It is an exceptional piece of sci-fi with fleshed out characters and a compelling story. The technology is well described and it is believable that the events in this trilogy could happen within the next 10-20 years. There is also political intrigue
Exanimis
Jan 22, 2016 Exanimis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, sci-fi
As with the first book, Luna Marine is dated. Some events are said to have happened that we now know never took place.

At one point someone refered to Chinese troops as "Chinks" I personally found this offensive as I would have any other derogatory term.

From the back cover of Semper Mars, the first book of the Heritage trilogy:
"Because great powers are willing to devastate a world in order to keep an ancient secret buried"
"something that calls into question every belief that forms the delicate fo
Andy Arnold
Jul 19, 2014 Andy Arnold rated it really liked it
I really didn't think that much of the first book in this series finding the invincible "gung ho" US Marines a little difficult to stomach. I pressed on with this trilogy after reading the Goodreads reviews and I'm glad I did. Although the outcome of this book was somehow never in doubt, the jingoistic sabre rattling was toned down a little this time making this a more palatable read. I also really enjoyed the style of some of the narratives away from the main characters and found them to be ver ...more
Justin
Jan 30, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it
Shelves: scif-fi
The author wrote this in 1999 and obviously missed the whole Ancient Aliens TV show on H2. If you skip past the whole ancient alien theory, this is a great novel for USMC vs the world action novel. The characters are great and the storyline moves along. As the second book in a trilogy, it does not suffer the same lags and flaws as most sequels.

As a side note and not just this author but every author that has the ancient alien or ancient astronaut, all they have done is to move the ball back in
Stephanie
Oct 30, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the rare middle book in a trilogy that is better than the first book. Typically the middle book is a fill, bridging the gap between the exciting first book and the climactic finale. I think the reason this one works so well is because while this series is three books each story is independent of the other. The timeline is separated by a few years and many of the characters are the same but plenty of new ones. The underlying theme is the same but the story is quite different.

In this book
MVV
Aug 09, 2014 MVV rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Better than the first. This second in a trilogy moves the plot and the action along an interesting and realistic path. I am especially impressed with the authors grasp of real space technology and the actual geography of the moon and mars. It is one thing to make up sci-fi worlds, but quite another to write about actual locations with real world technology. Douglas is a downright smart guy!!
Michael
Jan 31, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
It took me a long time to read this book, not because I didn't like it--I did! I was reading it before bed every night, which meant I'd usually log about five pages before falling asleep. This is pure military sci-fi; the second in a series of three about the US Marines in the near future. It's a fun story that realistically portrays the nature of infantry combat in outer space, mixed into a story about human beings finding aliens artifacts on the moon and on Mars. The most interesting aspect of ...more
Ian Tweeddale
Aug 05, 2014 Ian Tweeddale rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This review can cover the whole series. It's good 'down-to-earth' (if I could use this phrase for this genre) military sci-fi. The (human) technology comes across as understandable, some interesting developments in society are tracked and for a nice change the political views of the author are not too obvious (talking to you Ringo, Kratman). Douglas has an central idea about alien influences which he has fleshed out over 6 books quite successfully. Most of the ideas are not that original but he ...more
Jeff
Jul 27, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
So far I haven't enjoyed this series as much as the other series in Douglas' repertoire. That being said it is still an enjoyable story line and full of excitement.
Scott
May 22, 2008 Scott rated it it was amazing
First: More great marines-in-space stuff.

Second: While these books are not world-shaking, consciousness raising, pseudo-intellectual claptrap, they do present a vision of a near-future that could arise from the political scene of today.

Third: As with all good sci-fi, these books are about the people more than the tech. And Douglas' characters rock! Anyone who has ever been (or even known) a marine will recognize his characters as more than just simple jarhead stereotypes.

And Last: More great m
Andreas
Apr 29, 2011 Andreas rated it really liked it
The Heritage Trilogy is the first of three connected trilogies about Marines in space, and consists of:

Semper Mars
Luna Marine
Europa Strike

Three very good near future military SciFi stories, loosely connected at the micro level, with a deeper common background. My only small gripe is that Douglas does not concentrate more on the backstory of alien visitors in ancient times. Still and all, a very good read.

Note: Ian Douglas is a pen name for William H. Keith.

Matthew
Very Good book!
Jp
Apr 13, 2012 Jp rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A wonderful follow up to the prior Ian Douglas book, Semper Mars. This book takes off from the get-go and keeps running right up to the climax, hardly giving you a chance to breath. Douglas should be praised for providing a well written book, with a keen eye for detail and realism in technology. If you enjoy Heinlein, you'll enjoy the Heritage Trilogy.
Kevin
Apr 18, 2010 Kevin rated it really liked it
What a great series!! I can't say enough good things about Ian Douglas' Heritage series. The Marine Corps stuff is spot on. The outlandish is made believable and the SciFi tech is grounded in current science, theories and R&D! From Ablative Armor to Caseless Rounds to Antimatter (Positron) drives.

Loving this series and this author!
Eoghan Odinsson
Nov 11, 2012 Eoghan Odinsson rated it really liked it
This volume in Douglas's trilogy picked up the pace a little from Book 1 (Semper Mars) which I found a bit slow in places.

There was more about the alien technology and its implications, but this is still a predominantly Military Science Fiction series, heavy on the Marine Corps aspects.

Great Book, and I'm on to book 3!
Steve
Mar 29, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing
The first trilogy is compelling...lots of action and interesting speculation on how technology will affect human society.

Takes place two years after Semper Mars and builds on that story's conflict...It's interesting to see how the author advances the technology in the story and funny to see who the enemies are...
Graham
May 16, 2013 Graham rated it really liked it
Continues where it left off in Mars... some years on, but with some of the recognizable characters. Interesting tale, ridiculous scenarios with earth hanging in the balance. Loved it!
Edward Branley
Jun 11, 2013 Edward Branley rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Randy
Oct 03, 2008 Randy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: military SF fans
American, Russian, and Japanese forces against UN forces to protect an alien outpost found on the moon.
Brent
Jun 14, 2010 Brent rated it it was amazing
Great book! I'm eagerly waiting for the third book to be delivered to my doorstop (Europa Strike)
Liquid Frost
Feb 08, 2010 Liquid Frost rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009
My "official" 200th book - at least as far as memory goes and not including kid/school books -
Eli
Jul 10, 2008 Eli rated it really liked it
Shelves: eli-recommends
Slightly more cerebral than the first book, but by no means less entertaining for it.
Jessica Klein
Jessica Klein marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Fred Stuk
Fred Stuk rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Scott Little
Scott Little rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Frits Wassenberg
Frits Wassenberg marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Richard E.
Richard E. rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
  • Technokill (Starfist, #5)
  • Firemask (The Last Legion, #2)
  • Vorpal Blade (Looking Glass, #2)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • The Final Battle (Legion, #2)
  • Stark's Command (Stark's War, #2)

Heritage Trilogy (3 books)
  • Semper Mars (Heritage Trilogy, #1)
  • Europa Strike (Heritage Trilogy, #3)