Start by marking “The Magic of the Glits” as Want to Read:
The Magic of the Glits

The Magic of the Glits

Out of sympathy for orphaned eight-year-old Lynette who is dumped at his family's seaside cottage, twelve-year-old Jeremy invents the Glits. These magical creatures make wishes come true. Searching for them helps heal Lynette who then finds herself a new home.Winner of the Golden Kite Award and the William Allen White Award.
Published March 21st 2000 by Backinprint.com (first published 1979)

Julie Barrett
Jul 28, 2016 Julie Barrett rated it liked it
The magic of the Glits by Adler_ C. S_ (Carole S.)
Jeremy summer at Cape Cod-he has a cast on his broken leg and he has to babysit the 7 yo girl-Lynette.
He invents the game, the glitz to keep her busy. They do spend time at the beach, just not near the water because her mother had drowned.
After the cast he picks up hanging out with his male friends playing ball, etc. He brings her with him...
He helps her get over her fears and he needs to have some more responsibility. Her father wants to put he
Lindsey
Sep 03, 2014 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed

To be honest, this is not what most people would rate as a five-star book. Okay, it's not even what I would usually rate as a five-star book. The writing is good, the story is touching, the ending is well wrapped up with a tiny hint at a possible sequel (which I found, and it is near the top of my To Be Read)--but nothing about it was earth-shattering. Still I loved it. Somehow my heart won over my sense of literary distinction. So there it is.

Maybe it was the characterization that I loved. Adle
Catherine  Mustread
Mar 30, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Grades 4+. 12-year-old Jeremy's summer on Cape Cod is already ruined because of the cast on his leg, when he is stuck taking care of 7-year-old Lynette, who's mother has just drowned. Jeremy invents the Glits, magical creatures who can grant wishes, to help Lynette overcome her fears. Adler's first novel.
M
Mar 23, 2007 M rated it really liked it
I freakin' loved Goodbye, Pink Pig and think it a superior book to this one, but I couldn't find it here. I read both of these as a pre-teen and thought the stories were both really beautiful and sad. Don't know what I'd think if I read them today, but I'm going off the memory.
Donna
May 30, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading/re-reading all of the children's/young adult's books on my shelf and I don't think I've ever read this one before. It was actually pretty good.
Tiffany Matthews
Tiffany Matthews marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Jen Peterson
Jen Peterson rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2015
Aisha
Aisha rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Shurahbeel Iby
Shurahbeel Iby rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2015
She Reads
She Reads marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Lina
Lina marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Areeba
Areeba marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Joylyn Gray
Joylyn Gray rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Zena Gavin
Zena Gavin rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Jersi Quick
Jersi Quick marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Chanique
Chanique marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
BookLuva28
BookLuva28 marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Olivia Kliewer
Olivia Kliewer is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Maura
Maura marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Alison
Alison added it
Mar 09, 2014
Solana
Solana rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Derek Marx
Derek Marx rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2013