Gullah Images: The Art of Jonathan Green

Gullah Images: The Art of Jonathan Green

4.62 of 5 stars 4.62  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  2 reviews
This is a collection of 180 images from artist Jonathan Green. He paints the world of his childhood amongst the Gullah people of the South Carolina barrier islands. He reveals an awareness of the social and natural environments in which we live, elevating the everyday and celebrating the social.
Published October 1st 1996 by University of South Carolina Press

To ask other readers questions about Gullah Images, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gullah Images

Tara
I first saw Jonathan Green's work on a card I purchased for my mother in 1998. His artwork vividly captures African-Americans dancing, working and worshipping. I almost feel the breeze that teases the dress of the woman as she walks torwards her house in "Homecoming." I highly recommend "Gullah Images" as a wonderful introduction to a talented artist from South Carolina.
Aspasia
When my sisters were little they loved a show on Nickelodeon called "Gullah Gullah Island." A few years later when my mom and I were reading about some of South Carolina's coastal islands, we found out that the Gullah subculture actually exists!
Mitra Oldman
Mitra Oldman marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Priscilla Keane
Priscilla Keane marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Patty Sandifer-Baskin
Patty Sandifer-Baskin marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Mary Weiss
Mary Weiss marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Randa
Randa marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Nikhil P. Freeman
Nikhil P. Freeman marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2011
Genevieve Wimp-mccann
Genevieve Wimp-mccann marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2011
American Photography The Art of Jonathan Green 2013 Calendar The Art Of Jonathan Green: A Book Of Postcards The Art of Jonathan Green 2001 Desk Diary The Art of Jonathan Green 2006 Calendar