Start by marking “Gone to Texas: A History of the Lone Star State” as Want to Read:
Gone to Texas: A History of the Lone Star State

Gone to Texas: A History of the Lone Star State

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Historian Randolph Campbell ranges from the first arrival of humans in the Panhandle some 10,000 years ago to the dawn of the 21st century, offering an interpretive account of the land, the successive waves of people who have gone to Texas, and the conflicts that have made Texas as much a metaphor as a place. Campbell presents the epic tales of Texas history in a new light ...more
Published February 12th 2004 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published June 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Gone to Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone to Texas

Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. GwynneThree Roads to the Alamo by William C. DavisGoodbye to a River by John GravesThe Captured by Scott ZeschThe Raven by Marquis James
Texas History
20th out of 39 books — 16 voters
The Princess Bride by William GoldmanJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyThe Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Books I Have Every Intention On Reading Someday
129th out of 303 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Kevin Bessey
This was an excellent read and great overview of Texas history. I really enjoyed the way "Gone To Texas" was laid out and can appreciate many of the questions posed by Campbell.

GTT will be something that I'd like to re-read every year or so, and as a Texas Native could identify with much of what Campbell was writing about. I also enjoyed his cultural perspectives that offered a look at Texans and the Texas mystique.

From a people perspective, I also enjoyed at how Campbell spoke about the state's
Kin Pier
Mar 21, 2008 Kin Pier rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of Texas history
While I am somewhat biased as Mike Campbell was one of my graduate professors, this book is generally recognized as the definitive book on Texas history in general. It is not a novel and was not designed as such. It is informative and extremely well-written.
Macen
A great book on the history of Texas.
Laura Finger
I read this along with Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans to get an overview of German settlements in Texas. Campbell's work focuses on social history, and this was a good place to get my bearings.
Emily
Jul 16, 2009 Emily added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: really focused, interested people
This is taking me forever to read. I think I started it two years ago. I bought it because it covered TX history from the very beginning, when there were no whities on the continent, but now I'm wishing it wasn't so thorough. Interesting, though, of course.
Ryan Petty
Read this for a grad school class and really enjoyed it. my professor was a student of his, not that that makes much difference, but she was around while he was writing it and that helped us understand him better.
Kelly Harvey
I had to read this for a Texas History class and I actually found that it held my attention! I'm not a history buff but this was a good story with factual information that I both learned and enjoyed.
Ken
I read this several years ago and look forward to a second close reading to look for interesting tangents to explore in other works.
Stephanie Bonner
Terrific book about my home state! The history of Texas is so rich and interesting, and it makes me proud to be a Texan!
Curtis Thetford
A little dry, but did what I wanted.. gave me a good background in the history of Texas going back to prehistoric times.
Kristan Anne
It's on my e-book list, waiting for this semester to end so I'll have time to dive into it.
Jorge
Interesting Texas history book. I'm reading it slowly, not finished yet.
Rhianon Huot
Essential reading for lovers of history, and especially for residents of Texas.
Heather Duff
It was my textbook for Texas History....it was pretty interesting
Bob
Dec 06, 2011 Bob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: history
The absolute best survey of Texas history at this time!
David Chaney
The quintessential book of Texas history.
Suzanne Sheppard
Suzanne Sheppard marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Kory Booher
Kory Booher marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Darren White
Darren White marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Meagan Bird
Meagan Bird marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
  • Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans
  • The Cousins' Wars: Religion, Politics, and the Triumph of Anglo-America
  • Liberty! The American Revolution
  • Lone Star Nation: How a Ragged Army of Volunteers Won the Battle for Texas Independence - And Changed America
  • A Great and Noble Scheme: The Tragic Story of the Expulsion of the French Acadians from their American Homeland
  • The Course of Empire
  • The End of White World Supremacy: Four Speeches By Malcolm X
  • Russia Under the Old Regime
  • Kosovo: A Short History
  • A History of the Twentieth Century: The Concise Edition of the Acclaimed World History
  • Doc Holliday: The Life and Legend
  • The Soul of Battle: From Ancient Times to the Present Day
  • First Peoples: A Documentary Survey of American Indian History
  • The Big Rich: The Rise and Fall of the Greatest Texas Oil Fortunes
  • Fields of Battle: The Wars for North America
  • Champlain's Dream
  • American West
  • The American Home Front: 1941-1942
Sam Houston and the American Southwest (Library of American Biography) An Empire for Slavery: The Peculiar Institution in Texas, 1821--1865 A Southern Community in Crisis: Harrison County, Texas, 1850-1880 Sam Houston and the American Southwest Wealth and Power in Antebellum Texas