Start by marking “Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 4: Legacy” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 4: Legacy

Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 4: Legacy (Ultimate Spider-Man #4)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,882 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Teenager Peter Parker uses his superpowers as Spider-Man to face off against the Green Goblin.
Published November 29th 2006 by Marvel (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 4

Alias Omnibus by Brian Michael BendisAlias, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisDaredevil Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisHouse of M by Brian Michael BendisSecret Invasion by Brian Michael Bendis
Best of Brian Michael Bendis
31st out of 119 books — 24 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienDivergent by Veronica RothAtlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
To Read in 2012
140th out of 151 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

May 12, 2015 Colin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love that five issues is short for a volume of Ultimate Spider-Man. This volume was tense right off the bat and introduced a very interesting S.H.I.E.L.D. Peter is starting to realize how serious his new life is and that's good reading.

Also disclaimer here: Ultimate Spider-Man was one of the series that got me into comics. I can remember reading it back in 7th grade and loving every moment of it. So take my plethora of five star reviews with a grain of salt, I'm biased beyond belief when it c
Nov 23, 2013 Nikki rated it liked it
This one turns a bit darker, with Peter realising the potential consequences of his life as a superhero, and bringing in Nick Fury and SHIELD. God, Fury's such an ass. Much less wise-cracking in this one, although there's still a bit of it.

Still lots of fun, anyway. To read, anyway, if not exactly for Peter himself. I like that the art and story are done by the same people every issue -- it's not always the way it works with Marvel, and it doesn't have to be, but this time it seems to provide a
Jan 27, 2015 Jennavier rated it it was amazing
The Green Goblin is an incredibly disturbing bad guy. He really upped the intensity on this collection. I also liked meeting the ultimate version of Nick Fury. He's just as delightfully shady as his cinematic counterpart. Overall a funny and suspenseful book.
Sep 15, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
While the Green Goblin art was sometimes too grotesque for my taste, I liked the story in this one. I liked the way Peter's continued struggle with his secret (or in some cases, not so secret) identity was depicted, and I liked his relationships with other characters. I liked the graphic illustration of Norman Osborn's psychosis as ghostly Spidey-schmoo things that babbled at him. The way Harry Osborn's situation--the hypnosis, the confusion, the attempts at normality, his friendships with Peter ...more
Jun 25, 2012 Jerome rated it liked it
This is a great arc in the Ultimate Spider-Man series - in my opinion, the best of the ones I've read (up to Venom - Ugh!). So much is done well here - the story, the pacing, the art; everything seemed to work well together (well, almost everything). If I could give it four and a half stars, I would.

There were two things I felt were done especially well: the portrayal of the goblin's insanity and that Peter Parker's emotions. The goblin's insanity is masterfuly done - at one point we are actuall
Though I'm not as well-versed AT ALL with Spider-Man as I am with some other superheroes, I've been making a huge effort to get there lately.

I've had the first 11 volumes of Ultimate Spider-Man on my graphic novel shelf for YEARS and when I decided to get in the know on everyone's favorite wall-crawler, I started there.

In my very limited exploration of Spider-Man, this has been my favorite book that I've read thus far.

The tension with the newly revamped Green Goblin in the beginning of the bo
Jul 07, 2016 Jedhua rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Book Info: This collection contains Ultimate Spider-Man issues #22-27.

{3.5/5 stars}

Coming home from his battle with Doc Ock and Kraven in the previous volume, Peter is caught sneaking into the house at 3:00 in the morning, and grounded. Back at school, Peter and Mary Jane discuss the implications of this development – including how they plan to find the time to hang out, and how Peter will now manage to continue his activities as Spider-Man. But when Harry and Norman Osborn suddenly resurface
Oct 20, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
"holy galoloey!" The Green Goblin makes a comeback. This version has a very creepy vibe to it, stranger danger status. I like seeing Peter struggle with his not so secret identity, I think it makes this version of Spider-Man very real.

Peter deals with the consequences of acquiring his abilities and it's a lot of pressure on a teenager. I like that Ultimate Spider-Man makes the Marvel Universe feel real, in the sense that this is a world with mutants and known figures such as the Hulk, Captain A
Matthew Ledrew
Again, an amazing update on the original mythos. This version of the Goblin was perfect, and I was gravely disappointed when it was not adapted into either the Raimi or Webb films.

The continuation of the Ultimate Universe and Nick Fury's storyline involved here is also perfect, showing different sides to the character and different points of view. Absolutely perfect.
Tarique Ejaz
Feb 21, 2015 Tarique Ejaz rated it it was amazing

That was exactly my initial reaction when I started with the legacy story line. Harry Osborn returns to Midtown High and apparently as Aunt May had stated once "Wherever there are Osborns, there is bound to be trouble.", she couldn't have been more right.

One does realize the dilemma Peter puts himself under when he comes face to face with the new and improved Green Goblin, who seems much
Wing Kee
May 27, 2016 Wing Kee rated it really liked it
This arc is the best one yet!

Wow the writing for this arc was great! The tension, the pacing and the dialog. Wow!

World: Still not a huge fan of the character art, when Peter is out of his suit everyone just looks weird, the facial expressions especially. That being said, the motion in the suit this arc was great. The world building this arc was absolutely fantastic. With the pieces that Bendis had already placed throughout the run he pieces together this arc which is just nonstop tension. There
Jul 06, 2014 Gav451 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When he is on form BM Bendis really shines. Taking a classic character like this back from the beginning carries its own risks one of which is that you effectively do nothing with it, just re-draw it and then say nothing new. The joy of this book is that the writing commits to looking at some of the very real issues that might arise in this amazing situation.

The characters are well drawn. Peter Parker looks his age as do the others and this adds to his vulnerabilities. The art is not hyper-real
Jeff Raymond
Jul 09, 2010 Jeff Raymond rated it really liked it
I’m shocked I’m enjoying Spider-Man as much as I am. Absolutely shocked.
Paul Hamilton
Feb 04, 2013 Paul Hamilton rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, comic
It can be difficult, reading through these trade paperback collections that can be burned through in an hour or so, to recall that each one represents about six months of progression. By the time we arrive at this fourth volume, the book was capping off two full years of monthly issues. So while it seems a little weird that Brian Michael Bendis is revisiting a central antagonist that was first encountered in a book I read a week ago, it isn't actually so unusual at this point in a series run to ...more
Jun 08, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it
Peter gets grounded and I wish I would've found this comic when it first came out. It ain't premium cable like Y: The Last Man or Sandman, but this is network gold. This is better than TV. This is just well done, pop, longform storytelling. The return of Norman Osborn. The blending of the big Marvel Universe. Nick Fury in the hoouuusssse.

It works so damn well. This is a story with stakes. One that easily could be so been there, done that, but isn't. Maybe that's because the original characters a
Stephon Freeman
Nov 21, 2013 Stephon Freeman rated it it was amazing
The Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 4: Legacy by Brian Michael Bendisis is a an action comic book about Peter Parker or "Spider-Man" facing the return of Mr. Osborne or the "Green Goblin". The series continues by starting of Peter being grounded by aunt May. Suddenly, Peter receives an invite to dinner with Harry and his father Mr.Osborne. When Peter arrives he is surprised by Mr. Osborn's return as the GREEN GOBLIN.
There are several things i like about this book. The story has a lot of action packed s
Jackson Tyler
Aug 22, 2016 Jackson Tyler rated it liked it
The weakest arc of USM yet, mostly due to the ratcheting up of Love Triangles and Pete acting like a total idiot. It seems wrong for Pete/MJ's relationship trauma to come from S.H.I.E.L.D. and the mountain tonne of shared universe obligation that Fury piles upon him, rather than the more mundane difficulties that make Spider-Man a great character. As the otherwise crappy Ultimate Universe intrudes into this book some more, it's taking some of the thematic potency with it.
This is a great addition to the Petet Parker saga. He's still reeling from his fight with Doc Ock. He hasn't made up with Aunt May.

Gwen starts to become a bigger character. Green Goblin finally get his full crazy on. Nick Fury is a bad-ass.

Bags has a great eye for action sequences.
Edward Cheer
Jan 08, 2015 Edward Cheer rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Dark and intense, this addition to the series challenges Peter more than ever, while also scaring diehard Spider-Man fans near the end. I highly recommend anyone to read the first three books to get to this one.
Brandon Forsyth
Sep 17, 2014 Brandon Forsyth rated it really liked it
Things get a little more serious in this volume. The idea of having your secret identity compromised has never been quite so terrifying.
Axell Cid
Feb 26, 2014 Axell Cid rated it it was amazing
hate the green goblin. he created his monster and made a monster of his son.
Apr 08, 2014 Anastasia rated it it was amazing
Little too quick to bring Green Goblin back though (13) LIBRARY
Stephen Mcafee
Jul 13, 2013 Stephen Mcafee rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, the artwork suits Spider-Man perfectly, I loved the concept of a Green Goblin who was the result of more than a mask, a slightly insane Norman Osbourne trying to replicate the powers Peter Parker wound up with, I loved the almost threatening introduction of Nick Fury, who helped but on his terms whilst letting our hero know he was the boss, so to speak. It makes you feel for Harry and MJ, both struggling with very different issues related to their family/partners secrets, ...more
Jul 24, 2015 Lindsey.parks rated it it was amazing
So no one is going to try to save that shark?
Christopher Mclean
Nov 15, 2015 Christopher Mclean rated it really liked it
Yet another fantastic volume, this is quickly becoming my favourite extended run on a super hero book.
Adrian Leung
Oct 13, 2014 Adrian Leung rated it liked it
It is ok
Feb 24, 2014 Christopher rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2008 Stacey rated it really liked it
The Green Goblin. I admit, most of what I know about this character is from the movie. Legacy was a great story but sort of relied pretty heavily on the teen angst between confrontations. I sort of like that about this series though. Bendis really tries to make Peter human. He tries to write him like a typical (but brainy) teen. He tries to have the people around him react to him like he's a teen. Grounding a super-hero is something that really doesn't happen in a lot of other comics.
Feb 01, 2016 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I love how this book subverts expectations for certain Spider-Man storylines. I also love how difficult Peter Parker's life is getting, especially with regards to his secret identity. This is exactly the kind of agony that high school superheroing is all about. The writing, letters, and art come together particularly well to portray Norman Osborn's unique brand of madness, at least as well as Raimi's first Spider-Man movie did.
Feb 06, 2013 Daryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I enjoyed this volume. Ultimate Peter Parker is a younger version of his regular Marvel self, and here the differences are pretty clear. The art is good, and I liked the twist of the Green Goblin throwing Mary Jane from the bridge, instead of Gwen. My only real complaint is that two years into the series (by original publication dates), Spidey is once again fighting the Goblin, and we haven't seen many of his other colorful foes.
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2: Return to Weapon X
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 9: The Tempest
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 14: Phoenix?
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 3: N-Zone
  • Ultimatum: Requiem
  • Ultimate Iron Man, Vol. 1 (Ultimate Iron Man, #1)

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Ultimate Spider-Man (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility