Start by marking “Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 8: Cats & Kings” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 8: Cats & Kings

Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 8: Cats & Kings (Ultimate Spider-Man #8)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,363 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Sam Bullit is running for Mayor of New York City on an anti-Spider-Man campaign, and Daily Bugle Editor-in-Chief J. Jonah Jameson is backing him 100%. But who s pulling Bullit s strings? None other than the Kingpin of Crime. Plus: Spider-Man meets the sexy and elusive cat burglar called the Black Cat, who claws herself into the young web-slinger's life and purrs her way ...more
Published January 6th 2006 by Marvel (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 8

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
This is the first Spiderman graphic novel (well, comic collection in one book) that I've read out of the three I own. Peter Parker of course goes around moping about something or other - moping IS as much a part of his identity as the superhero gig - but it didn't bother me because I expected it. Despite his angsty personality, I do like Peter Parker, especially his fun humor during battles.

This is a two parter that ties in together, all involving Kingpin in some way. The crime boss makes a wor
Sesana
Jul 02, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Not the best volume so far, but still mostly fun. I think the highlight has to be the entire J. Jonah Jameson subplot. I'm hardly a Spider-Man expert, but I think that might be the most thoughtful conversation I've ever seen a writer give Jonah, who is normally written as a blustering yellow journalist with an inexplicable axe to grind. And I'm not saying that the Ultimate version is none of those things. After all, if you took those characteristics away, you wouldn't have J. Jonah Jameson ...more
Nikki
Dec 07, 2013 Nikki rated it liked it
Aunt May is awesome. That's my main reaction to this volume. Aunt May is awesome and there needs to be more of her. I love how much she adores Peter and tries to look after him.

Less entranced by the Elektra and Felicia stuff -- it didn't feel developed enough. Maybe there's going to be more later about one or both of them, which would be good.
Nicole
Apr 04, 2015 Nicole rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
As usual with this series, I liked the parts of the story focusing on Peter Parker's continuing attempts to come to terms with his powers and his place in the world. This time around, he's justifiably angry about the Kingpin literally getting away with murder and the corruption and apathy throughout the city, while Spider-Man gets blamed for things he didn't do. Peter gets fired from his job and suspended from school for his outbursts. There's also trouble for him and MJ. I really like how Aunt ...more
Jeff Raymond
Oct 17, 2010 Jeff Raymond rated it really liked it
I don’t want to say I disliked this batch, but…well, some of this was weak. I can forgive the Ultimate Six diversion as an obvious crossover with a comic I don’t read, but I have to say that Black Cat is really annoying, and the whole Hobgoblin thing didn’t do it for me, either. Still soldiering on - I have library leads on all the available trades, shockingly, so I’ll be caught up at some point this summer - but a few of these were more than a little rough around the edges.
B. Rule
Dec 07, 2016 B. Rule rated it really liked it
This volume is a collection of several issues that are good on their own, but don't necessarily hang together in a cohesive way. That's okay though, as several are great one-offs (e.g., the Sandman story). There are also some annoying parts that, while probably in character for a teenage boy, come off as quite sexist (here, I'm thinking of Peter's idiotic reaction to the "catfight" between Elektra and Black Cat). I enjoyed the way that Peter interacted with several adult institutions in this ...more
Jedhua
Aug 05, 2016 Jedhua rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Book Info: This collection contains Ultimate Spider-Man issues #47-53.

OVERALL RATING: {3/5 stars}

------------------------------------------------

Review for issues #47-49:

{3/5 stars}

description

On one of his nightly rounds, Spider-Man encounters Kingpin's Enforcers shaking down a gambler for cash he owes. Spidey then intervenes, subdues the attackers, and leaves them for the police to deal with. Kingpin's lawyer manages to get them out of police custody, but the boss isn't happy about this costumed menace,
Kanomi Okina
Oct 11, 2016 Kanomi Okina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spider-man
HOW AWESOME IS THAT!!! Both Electra and the Black Cat had Ultimate makeovers, and they look fabulous! I hope the Black Cat's alright. Will we see here again?!?!?
Paul Hamilton
Feb 19, 2013 Paul Hamilton rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, comic
Following two disappointing volumes, I felt that USM found its footing again in this volume. The Kingpin returns from exile and we're introduced to Black Cat and Elektra. I don't think Black Cat's backstory is really done justice here; it feels hurried and lazy (a life devoted to exacting revenge for a wronged father figure… yawn). And even Elektra, who works really well when surrounded by an aura of mystery, isn't allowed to remain a complete enigma for long.

Come to think of it, so far this is
James
Feb 21, 2015 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
An enjoyable storyline from Brian Michael Bendis' 2000-era reimagining of Spider-Man. Peter Parker is still a teen in these stories, juggling school, work, drama with his girlfriend's dad and--oh yeah--the fact that the Kingpin of Crime is looking to kill him. Bendis does a good job balancing the different elements, giving Peter a volatile helping of teenage angst while ensuring the Spidey has plenty of nice quips for when he goes into action.

"Young boy," the Kingpin says in one tussle, "I do no
Wing Kee
Aug 14, 2016 Wing Kee rated it really liked it
Wow that was good.

Enter the Black Cat. Man this arc was great.

World: Bagley's art is slowly evolving and getting better. That's not me saying that I liked it. That's me acknowledging that it's better, the faces are still so very wrong. The world building is great, Bendis is building upon the past and that's just a great way to turn a normal comic book story into something that means a lot more.

Story: The pacing is good. The emotions are real and the resolution is dramatic, all in all this was
Daryl
Feb 19, 2013 Daryl rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another trade focusing on Spidey's ongoing conflict with the Kingpin. The Black Cat is introduced -- another nice updating of the character from the regular Marvel U -- in the reprint of the 50th issue, as are Mary Jane's parents, particularly her troublesome father. Ultimate Elektra, working for the Kingpin, fights the Black Cat, possibly to the finish. However, a couple of things in this trade didn't sit very well with me. In one sequence, Peter gets fired from the Daily Bugle, but J. Jonah ...more
Todd
Yet again the moments that really make this volume solid is when Peter is outside of the costume.

His interactions with Jameson really show him as a kid who is still trying to understand the world and why things are so morally ambiguous. The truth that Mary Jane worries about him while he's out swinging but would never ask him to stop. When Aunt May calls Jameson and gives him what for. These are the moments that make this collection. The Black Cat is pretty cool but Elektra leaves a lot to be d
Cindy
Nov 01, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Aunt May really owned it in this one; love the way she talks to Jameson, it's too funny. I also liked that we got a little bit of character development with Jameson. I love his character, he's so obnoxious, sometimes foolish and pompous, but it's funny to me, and the bit of character development on him was a nice touch.

This volume also focused more on what's going on in Mary Jane's personal life and how that's affecting her and peter's relationship.

Peter deals with the King Pin's come back, an
Stacey
Aug 29, 2008 Stacey rated it liked it
Cats and Kings has one of my favourite covers of the volumes. It just evokes the feeling that he's had enough of these people.

In this volume Peter asks the questions that no one wants to hear. There's a bit less teenage moping and more moping about the fact that the Kingpin can do what he wants because he has money and power. It's a tough pill for Spider-Man to swallow because he thinks it should be more black and white than it actually is. Throw in a little subplot about female temptation in t
Ren
Apr 12, 2008 Ren rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens and up
This has got to be one of my favorites. I really liked the arc lines that they had going along in here, especially MJ's considering that we hardly even see her home life. She became a much more relatable character when you saw what she went through on a regular basis. On the other side of the equation, I really enjoyed seeing Peter frustrated with the world (again ;-D) and his normal boy hormones getting ahead of him (nothing bad, don't worry). Jameson's role was particularly interesting to read ...more
Craig Williams
Dec 19, 2009 Craig Williams rated it really liked it
The Kingpin is back and fatter than ever!!!! This was a good arc - Peter's outrage at Kingpin's release from jail, despite vacuum tight evidence that he murdered someone, was portrayed really well. I felt just as pissed off at a system so busted it could set loose a murderer. Black Cat's introduction felt a bit superficial though. I never liked her, even in the original Marvel Universe - she's so obviously a complete and total rip off of Catwoman it's not even funny. Ultimate Elektra was equally ...more
David Basora
Dec 15, 2015 David Basora rated it liked it
Interesting book; I can't decide what is more intriguing, the palpably increasing pressure on Peter to come clean with Aunt May, Peter's always complicated love life, or JJJ and Peter maturing with each other. That said, Felicia's introduction is much too brief and leaves too much unexplained. She can't be a simple burgular with skills, the supernatural Black Cat abilities must come into play somewhere for her to be able to knock around the Kingpin and keep up with Spidey's reflexes. I wonder ...more
Jerome
Jun 25, 2012 Jerome rated it it was ok
Spider-Man gets fired for disagreeing with JJJ when he backs the campaign of a DA who is a Kingpin shill.

Spidery and the Kingping [...] heads several times, and he meets the Black Cat, daughter of a guy Kingpin has shafted, as she steals something he was going to use to try and help his sick wife.

Elektra gets in on the fun as the Kingpin hires her to get rid of the Cat.

The Enforcers show they are losers yet again.

Did anyone else see that when Ben Urich was interviewing Sam Bullit "on July 9th at
Tarique Ejaz
Feb 21, 2015 Tarique Ejaz rated it it was amazing
Re-entry of the Kingpin of Crime. Debut of the Black Cat and Elektra. The tale of vengeance of a daughter for the father that was wronged.

A roller coaster of a story arc it is indeed. Kingpin demonstrates as to why he is known as the Kingpin of crime leaving our hero to question the very basic pillars that form the legal and administrative system. Then there is the emergence of the sultry cat thief - The Black cat. She is as skilled as sexy she deems to appear. Then the cat fight that follows!
*_
Shaun
Dec 06, 2011 Shaun rated it liked it
The Black Cat and Electra are introduced in this volume. For the most part, this storyline is a lot less intense for Peter than some of the recent one, although MJ is going through a lot in her own plot- much of it off-screen. I felt like this take on Black Cat was interesting and well-developed. But Electra, much like Venom, was here and gone without being a big part of things. All the right ingredients are still in place, though.
Malice De'Ath
Jun 12, 2014 Malice De'Ath rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I enjoyed this volume, as I have with this entire series. It returned to the action that had been missing in the previous volume. We were introduced to some new characters, but time with them was fleeting and they have, yet, to be given any depth. As this is the first volume with them, I can forgive this and expect later volumes to delve deeper into the characters. The last two pages of this volume changed things in an unexpected way for a certain character, which was interesting.
Jdetrick
Because I often complain about Bendis' wordiness, I should point out that few of the issues here suffer from that. I also want to say again that Bendis knows these characters so well. The characterizations are remarkable, and where I complimented his Aunt May before, I have to say that his Jonah Jameson in this collection is wonderful.
Ritz
Apr 26, 2015 Ritz rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Love Black Cat, though he story was a little lackluster. Still baffled as to how Fisk is so damn huge, its something that always bothers me. I was looking forward to Elektra being introduced, but I felt pretty 'meh' about her, and I'm sure part of that has to do with her character being so underdeveloped. Shrug.
Mitchell
Lot's of characters reconsidered in this one. Pretty good version of Felicia Hardy the Black cat. Not quite as good a version of Elektra. Kingpin pretty much as he is portrayed in the Daredevil Netflix series. And then there is J. Jonah Jameson sucking and then not completely sucking. And MJ. Definitely one of the better books in this series.
Zach Danielson
The previous volume had a lot of introspective character development, and now we get some confrontational character development. The Kingpin is back, Elektra and Black Cat go after each other and Spider-Man, and MJ's dad has it in for Peter.
Sharon
Mar 02, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, re-read, library
Elektra is more interesting here now that I've finally read Ultimate Elektra and understand her own revenge story. Black Cat is pretty intriguing too, although I keep cringing and waiting for her to realize how young Peter is.
Frank Taranto
Jun 29, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I relly enjoy these updated stories with Spiderman as a young kid. The Black Cat and Elektra figure in here as well as the Kingpin. The colors are more vibrant then they were when I read comics back in the 60's through the 80's.
Jennavier
Feb 01, 2015 Jennavier rated it really liked it
And the big reminder that Spiderman is a teenager was well taken. Watching him goof off way over his head was as entertaining as always. I also loved MJ getting some screen time to deal with her own issues. She needed the space.
Angela
Mar 24, 2011 Angela rated it liked it
The MJ storyline is good. What let down this graphic novel is the really unrealistic drawings of Black Cat, no woman can look like that.
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 5: Ultimate War
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 11: The Most Dangerous Game
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 3: N-Zone
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 14: Phoenix?
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 6: Happy Birthday

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Ultimate Spider-Man (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1: Power and Responsibility