Start by marking “The Eye of the Warlock (Further Tales Adventures, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Eye of the Warlock (Further Tales Adventures, #3)

The Eye of the Warlock (Further Tales Adventures #3)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"When a stranger knocks on his door and promises to lead him to hidden treasure, twelve-year-old Rudi is skeptical. And he's even more suspicious when the stranger proclaims that the jewels belonged to the legendary Hansel. Sure, Rudi's heard stories: the witch, the oven, the sister named Gretel. But he never fully believed they were real. Until now..." Life has been unkin ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about The Eye of the Warlock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eye of the Warlock

Dexter
It may not be a masterpiece, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. Rudi often got on my nerves, but I liked how his anger problem was always addressed by characters and it even tied in with the plot later on. A lot of little things came back later in the story, which I always appreciate. Little things certain characters say that are repeated later by different characters. Misplaced items. That kind of thing.

Vilikus is a pretty decent villain too. His whole domain kind of gave me the cree
Linda
This is a fantasy expounding on the Hansel and Gretel fairytale. The main character is Rudi, a young man who is taking care of two little orphan girls, while living in the house of his uncle, married to a real harridan. Rudi is a distant cousin of Hansel. When a man knocks at their door and asks for Rudi's help in finding the cottage in the woods where Hansel and Gretel were once imprisoned by the witch, saying that there are riches there to be found, Rudi agrees. He doesn't trust Aunt Agnes, wh ...more
Gevork Salmastyan
I'm a fan of P.W. Catanese's fantasy books and I think that this is one of his best. There's so much to like about this book. When I was reading this book I just kept reading on and on. I think that the character Rudy is very likable for the story and that the main villain is a perfect fit for a fantasy story like this. I would recommend this book for middle school kids because I think this is the audience its trying to capture. The writers style is through the main characters perspective, which ...more
Melissa Bee
Interesting twist to Hansel and Gretel's "happily ever after". Is it just me or are American authors beginning to write like Japanese authors? I have never seen or heard of a Japanese tale with a truly "happy" ending.
Keri  ケリ
This was actually a pretty good book. i loved the way the author added more to the classic story to make it more interesting, yet still telling the original story. The complexity makes it more fun!
TeAndrea
He was right, When readers read his book they 'WANT ESCAPE'
While reading this book, I felt as if I was actually in the woods standing beside Rudi and the girls.
ThenSingsMySoul
This book had a really interesting premise. But, it didn't grab me the way some of the author's other work has. I enjoyed the overall plot, but the pacing felt off. Also, I found it difficult to like the main character, Rudi. I wanted to like him, and there were times I did, but other times I just found him irritating. I did love the references to Lord Umber though; that made me happy. I would consider reading this book again, but there are so many books and so little time that I think I would ...more
Cleo
This story is a sort of continuation of the fairy tale of Hansel and Gretel. Rudi lives in the same cottage that Hansel and Gretel lived in with Lucie and Elsebeth, two little girls, and a cruel aunt and kind-hearted but weak uncle. When a stranger asks for Rudi's help to find Hansel's treasure, Rudi sees a way out of his miserable life for himself and the girls. But he and the stranger discover that evil has come to the forest. And then Lucie and Elsebeth are stolen by a warlock. The ransom pri ...more
Carmen
While this book wasn't horrible, it wasn't particularly good, either.
Kayla Rayne
I read this book every year at girl scout camp in hopes the evil newts that surrounded the lake would show their true forms and I could be off on an adventure far greater than making lanyards and practicing my archery. Camp was still fun without the fantastical elements in this book however.
Dalton
May 10, 2010 Dalton added it
Rudi agreed to stay with the warlock to let his freinds go soon his freinds figure out the warlock's not letting them go like rudi thought and now they have 30 murglins after them they encourage the kids with them to throw rocks at the murglins and soon beat them after beating the murglin's the kids are reunited back with their parents and set out to free rudi after saving rudi they lived as happily as what would be expected [ lol that what hansel say's :]
JennEllen
I am a big fan of the fairytale-based fiction genre and though this is not the best I've read, I still enjoyed it. Good character development of the main character, though I would have loved a bit more from some of the others--but there's only so much that one can fit into a children's book.
Christie
A spin-off of the story of Hansel and Grettel. The protagonist is Rudy, the nephew of a woodcutter. Tells how Rudi, Hansel, Marusch and Uncle Hempel defeat an evil Warlock.
Tripleguess
A good read, pretty creepy. ... I felt like there was too much back and forth; it's usually best not to "backtrack" in a story, somehow. Other than that, good stuff.
Roshni
Average book, good for the late elementary or early middle school reader
Keagan
Took me 3 months to finish, so boring.. Good concept, terrible execution.
Adam
One of the creepier books that I've ever read.
Linnae
Not spectacular, but a solid three stars.
Rose
Apr 22, 2009 Rose added it
Shelves: childrens
JF Cat
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Jmmj
Jmmj marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Julie Slone
Julie Slone marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Kiss and Spell (Ever After High: A School Story, #2)
  • The Secret Country
  • Pay the Piper
  • Drawing for the Artistically Undiscovered
  • Duckling Ugly (Dark Fusion, #3)
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Mother Goose Tales to Read Together
  • Flowers
  • Serpent Never Sleeps
  • Was It Beautiful?: A Novel
  • Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird
  • Terribly Twisted Tales
  • The Last Paladin (War of the Rose, #3)
  • Piper Reed Gets a Job (Piper Reed #3)
  • Harry Houdini
  • Whalesong (Whalesong, #1)
  • Princess Collection
  • The Early Years Collection (Little House, #1, 3-6)
  • The Ratastrophe Catastrophe (The Illmoor Chronicles, #1)
P.W. (Paul) Catanese is the author of fantasy-adventure novels (published by Aladdin/Simon & Schuster). His next novel, DONNY'S INFERNO, a supernatural adventure, will be published in early 2016.

A crisp style, fast pacing, interesting characters and vivid descriptions have made Catanese a favorite with everyone from reluctant readers to teachers to adults seeking a thrilling escape. His books
More about P.W. Catanese...

Further Tales Adventures (5 books)
  • The Thief and the Beanstalk (Further Tales Adventures, #1)
  • The Brave Apprentice (Further Tales Adventures, #2)
  • The Mirror's Tale (Further Tales Adventures, #4)
  • The Riddle of the Gnome (Further Tales Adventures, #5)
Happenstance Found (The Books of Umber, #1) Dragon Games (The Books of Umber, #2) The End of Time (The Books of Umber, #3) The Thief and the Beanstalk (Further Tales Adventures, #1) The Mirror's Tale (Further Tales Adventures, #4)